HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alexander Nikulin's Blog Part II

Old
08-02-2008, 03:03 PM
IdiotsPickedMyName*

vCash: 500
To be fair most all the players **** off for the off-season.

Even the prospects go through a ridiculous 8 or 9 months with all the bus rides and etc... so I don't see the team not doing anything in the summer as surprising. I mean if they aren't doing it for the guys who will be playing in the NHL, why would they do it for the prospects?

Nukes is obviously working hard and is working with an upcoming super-star and a guy who has been around the block, I'm willing to bet Gonchar knows a thing or two about how to get in shape, you don't make it too 1000 games without doing something right in that department.

IdiotsPickedMyName* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 01:14 PM
slamigo
Skate or Die!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petelevi View Post
What's most interesting to me is the continued lack of communication from the organisation to the player--presumably this is the case with all their prospects unless they make a specific attempt (ala Cody Bass and Ilya Zubov this summer) to stick around & take advantage of the resources here.
It's great that some of the players and prospects stick around during the summer and get involved with community stuff.
I really hope that Zubov makes the big club. He was at my kids' hockey camp and spent about 10 minutes or so with my youngest son (3 yrs old and really shy). It was pretty cool that he noticed him and got him smiling. If he makes the big club, my boy will be getting a Zubov jersey for sure!

slamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 04:03 PM
Senateurs
No rispek!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
Hmm i never came to this thread before but first overall, i like the idea that Nikulin is training with malkin and Gonchar... Imagien all day long, those guys might be sharing some impressions, some advices. They are going to motivate him. It can only be good for Alexander... unless they hate each others

Nikulin became some kind of folk hero around here. I don't think there ever was a prospect who had so many people following his development before. All through his blog.

Senateurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 09:12 AM
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Aveuglette View Post
You'd think that Gonchar would have advised him to attend the rookie camp....

Nonetheless, I like the fact that he is doing his training with such high caliber players. If he does make the team this year, we can be sure he'll be in great shape. Thanks again thirtyfive for the post.
Yeah, guys like Gonchar and Malkin should definitely know that.

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 08:08 PM
No1 fan

A new entry!!!

No1 fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 09:12 AM
Hell on Heels
classless chick :(

Send a message via Skype™ to Hell on Heels
Quote:
Originally Posted by No1 fan View Post
A new entry!!!
thirtyfiveeeee

Hell on Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 09:34 AM
Marble

Thundercats are go!!

Marble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 06:09 PM
ThirtyFive

Send a message via MSN to ThirtyFive
Nice, will get this out tonight, guys. Been busy these days, didn't notice this posted two days ago, my bad. Hang tight

ThirtyFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 06:46 PM
ThirtyFive

Ottawa wants me to arrive on the 8th.
August 10, 2008.

Sergei Gonchar, Evgeni Malkin, and I will be training on the ice with SKA St. Petersburg until approximately August 15. I just want to say that none of us is transferring there. It’s just that Barry Smith agreed to let us continue training for the season with his team. Then the SKA players will fly out for their camp, and I’ll fly to Ottawa.

I received an email from the Senators headquarters, which said I had to arrive by September 8 for the start of the main training camp. But I replied that I will be coming even sooner than that. I have to be well-prepared for the camp. By the way, I’ve already gotten a Canadian visa. It’s valid for exactly a year, so it will expire at the same time as my contract with Ottawa. Should they offer me a new deal, I’ll think about the visa then.

But now I’m in Moscow. The first part of the pre-season training under the tutelage of Sergei Gonchar has come to an end. He’s gone to Monaco, Malkin’s gone to Magnitogorsk, and I’m home. But before we separated, Sergei left us both instructions for the forthcoming days.

Today I’m working for almost two hours. First, weightlifting and other strength and endurance exercises, then running on the treadmill, which is the hardest and most tedious, I’ll be honest. It’s a very monotonous exercise, and there’s really nothing to take your mind off it. Perhaps I should buy a music player.

At least here in Moscow the gym has TVs by the treadmills, so you can run and watch. They didn’t have that in St. Petersburg. So you just run and run. And you can’t talk to Malkin on the other treadmill. No time. You must breathe right. We have pretty strict rules. You have to run four-five kilometers in twenty minutes. So I’ll grin and bear it.

The toughest was in St. Petersburg. We gave it our all on the ground. Twice a week we had jumping, quickness exercises, and six series of 200-meter runs. No rest, no pauses. And Sergei said later the load will be even more: we’ll run 400 and 800. Plus cross-country. Five kilometers to start, then ten. I’m convinced I’ll be in perfect form for the training camp.

I’ve watched a bit of the pre-season here in St. Petersburg. Went to the games SKA played with HK MVD and Severstal. I didn’t much like the first game, but the second was okay. There doesn’t seem to be anything special in what each SKA player does, but everyone’s doing what they’re supposed to. And that gives results.

I’m happy the Olympics have started. I don’t have any special preferences, I’ll just be rooting for the Russian athletes. As far as watching, I’ll probably only watch the team sports with our players.

Last edited by ThirtyFive: 08-13-2008 at 05:07 PM.
Old
08-12-2008, 07:04 PM
ben3001

Nice. Thanks again ThiryFive. Will be interesting to see how Nikulin compares to people like Zubov come training camp

ben3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 01:11 AM
Xspyrit

Sorry if i dunno it yet, but how does thirtyfive get all this info?
Is it Nikulin's english? It's pretty good if it is...

I really hope this guy makes the team this year...

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 01:13 AM
Kamina
Amok

Stay with us! ;_;

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 01:37 AM
Generic Username*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
Sorry if i dunno it yet, but how does thirtyfive get all this info?
Is it Nikulin's english? It's pretty good if it is...

I really hope this guy makes the team this year...
Thirtyfive translates (and does a fantastic job of it) the blog from Russian, where Nikulin posts his thoughts.

Generic Username* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 08:51 AM
Marble

Thanks ThirtyFive!

Also, 45 kilometres in 20 minutes!?

Old
08-13-2008, 09:01 AM
Pringles

it will be interesting to see what he can do come september.

Pringles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 09:16 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy144 View Post
Thanks ThirtyFive!

Also, 45 kilometres in 20 minutes!?
four sets of 20min 5k's.
pretty standard fare.

Interesting that there is absolutely no mention of rookie camp. Seems the sens dont actually care. Hopefully nikulin will really be in ottawa well before the 8th. Actually, now that i think of it, if he's done training with SKA St. Petersburg on the 15th (friday), there's no reason for him NOT to make rookie camp.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 09:23 AM
Hell on Heels
classless chick :(

Send a message via Skype™ to Hell on Heels
thanks again thirtyfive

Hell on Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 09:50 AM
Marble

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
four sets of 20min 5k's.
pretty standard fare.
Whew, just misread it.

Old
08-13-2008, 12:55 PM
Asharx

Thanks again for the translation thirtyfive. I love reading what he has to say. I hope he makes it this year.

Asharx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 06:22 PM
Caeldan

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
four sets of 20min 5k's.
pretty standard fare.

Interesting that there is absolutely no mention of rookie camp. Seems the sens dont actually care. Hopefully nikulin will really be in ottawa well before the 8th. Actually, now that i think of it, if he's done training with SKA St. Petersburg on the 15th (friday), there's no reason for him NOT to make rookie camp.
Well the 8th might be for rookie camp? The rookie tournament in Kitchener is the week after, and they don't actually have a first preseason game until the 20th - I have no idea what the dates for the camps are.

Caeldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 02:11 PM
ThirtyFive

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid...e&service=page

Quote:
Alexander Nikulin -- Nikulin was regarded as the fourth-best Russian in his draft year, 2004, behind Alexander Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin. He is a well-built 6-foot-1 and 200 pounds, but is not a physical player. He is, however, an excellent defensive center with great awareness and top-notch passing skills. He has a great understanding of the game and skates well but needed last season in the AHL.

Nikulin was Binghamton's third-leading scorer and the AHL's seventh-leading rookie scorer with 14 goals and 36 assists last season. He was called up for two NHL games in November.

"He's a young Russian kid who we put pressure on to come over later than we did with Ilya Zubov," Murray said. "Zubov's success helped Nikulin's decision. Alexander played two NHL games for us last year and looked decent. He had 14 goals and 50 points in Binghamton, playing on the second and third lines. He had an outstanding rookie year. The main thing Nikulin has to work on is that some nights he's good and some nights he's not. He has to improve his consistency. He needs to understand that he can't just rely on his skill all the time. He'll get it. He's a very talented kid."

Old
08-19-2008, 02:45 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

saw that too. It shows that he may not be as high in the organizational depth chart as we may like, but at least they are telling him what he needs to work on.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 11:11 AM
ThirtyFive

A new entry was posted yesterday. Will have it up later today...

Old
08-25-2008, 12:35 PM
Marble

Looking forward to it.

Old
08-25-2008, 04:02 PM
ThirtyFive

Now Iím ready for Ottawa.
August 24, 2008.

After SKA St. Petersburg left for the tournament in Austria, itís just us three training on the ice: Sergei Gonchar, Evgeni Malin, and me. At the same time two other players train on the other side of the ice, recovering from injuries. One of them is the defenseman Raymond Giroux.

There are only positive impressions from working with the SKA. It was really similar to what they do in the NHL. For instance, the gym. When working with weights, Russian teams use the so-called ďstations.Ē Everyone understands that some exercise are absolutely needless, theyíre just done so the player doesnít relax, so that heís doing something. The SKA works at this very Western-like. They only do what will be useful.

The training tempo is the same as in America. The sessions donít last very long, but they are quite intense. We spend an hour on the ice, and then another hour at the gym. But thatís enough time for a pretty heavy load. Plus, the SKA trains once a day, which is also uncharacteristic for a Russian team during the off-season.

Perhaps thatís why guys from the NHL train with them. In addition to us, training there were Anton Khudobin, Nikolai Kulemin, and Mikhail Grabovski. So itís no coincidence. Everyone knows the best place to get ready for the season.

After the SKA players were gone, Sergei Gonchar made arrangement for the ice. He knows people everywhere. Obviously, weíre paying out of our own pockets for this, but itís still great. After the ice weíve got the gym and running. Just this Friday we did ten sets of 200 meters.

As I said before, part of this training I did in Moscow, when Gonchar had left on business, giving Evgeni Malkin and me a plan which we were supposed to follow. When Gonchar returned, he didnít check whether weíd followed his plan. Itís obvious no one was going to goof off. Weíve spent a lot of energy to get where we are, and werenít just going to waste all of that for a week of rest.

As you can see Iím paying on my own for the training in Russia. All of it has cost me about 70-80 thousand rubles. Some may be shocked by this amount, but I donít feel like Iím throwing money away. This means Iíll be ready for the NHL tests. A lot depends on the tests over there. If you get good marks, youíll be working with the big team and theyíll be counting on you.

Soon a skating trainer will arrive in St. Petersburg to work with us. I know my conditioning will improve even more. When I come to Ottawa, I will have to get right to work, not play catch up.