HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Did Dawes ever play with Drury?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-12-2008, 03:31 PM
  #1
Cherepanisimov
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,181
vCash: 500
Did Dawes ever play with Drury?

And how did he produce?

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 03:37 PM
  #2
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,263
vCash: 500
Dawes played with Drury the majority of the season last year, and seemed to produce there more so than with Gomez or Dubinsky.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 03:47 PM
  #3
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella
 
Carlos Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,157
vCash: 67
Yes most memorably they made a great play in that game vs Montreal, to either tie it or go ahead (was it superbowl Sunday?)

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 03:51 PM
  #4
Cherepanisimov
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Staal View Post
Dawes played with Drury the majority of the season last year, and seemed to produce there more so than with Gomez or Dubinsky.
yea i thought so, but several posters here said they didnt play good together, so i wasnt sure

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 03:56 PM
  #5
Bobby Granger
Registered User
 
Bobby Granger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 408
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bobby Granger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Staal View Post
Dawes played with Drury the majority of the season last year, and seemed to produce there more so than with Gomez or Dubinsky.
Can't say that your wrong. But I personally only noticed dawes (or remember) him on the ice is when he was with gomez.and think dawes played his best hockey with gomez last year

I believe there was a. Dawes-drury-prucha line out during the course of the season last year. They didn't play many minutes and from what I remember they didn't produce much and everyone on this board was saying that drury looks "lost" on the ice.and obviously pru didn't get the ice time. I could be wrong though. But I believe renney tried it. I mean. Wut didn't he try last year??

Bobby Granger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 04:28 PM
  #6
trueblue9441
Registered User
 
trueblue9441's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bronx, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,438
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
Yes most memorably they made a great play in that game vs Montreal, to either tie it or go ahead (was it superbowl Sunday?)
yes that was superbowl sunday vs. montreal, it was the gwg, a beaut of a pass to drury from dawes

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 04:29 PM
  #7
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,056
vCash: 500
imho Dawes was much better off with Gomez. Hes a finisher, Drury is a finisher, they didnt mesh as well.

Dawes Gomez Zherdev

Git R Dun!

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 04:30 PM
  #8
MSG the place to be*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,783
vCash: 500
anyone remember the playoffs?

straka-dubi-jagr
avery-gomez-shanahan
DAWES-DRURY-CALLAHAN
hollweg-betts-orr

A great goal I remember was in game 5 against the Devils when the puck got dumped in the corner and dawes chased and made a beautiful pass across the ice to Drury for the goal.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 04:33 PM
  #9
Cherepanisimov
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,181
vCash: 500
wasnt the shoulder goal assisted by drury too

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 07:37 PM
  #10
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary
 
Lundqvist=Vezina's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: My world
Country: United States
Posts: 5,226
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
imho Dawes was much better off with Gomez. Hes a finisher, Drury is a finisher, they didnt mesh as well.

Dawes Gomez Zherdev

Git R Dun!
Dawes can be considered a finisher because he has a great shot but I think he can fit either role because he is a great passer too.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 11:25 AM
  #11
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,906
vCash: 500
I thought that as the year progressed, especially towards the end Dawes and Drury started to gain some chemistry together.

On more than one occasion Dawes set up Drury with a great pass for a goal, and at big moments during the game.

I think these two are good together despite what some fans think. Dawes is learning to see the ice a different way and he has become a little more of a patient player since being put on Drurys wing. I see his vision being underrated.

I think we could potentially see a Dawes - Drury - Zherdev line because Zherdev like to carry the puck and set up plays. Both Drury and Dawes can get into areas where he can find them and vise-versa.

We'll see what transpires but either way you cut it, IMO the Rangers need Dawes to step up and have a career breakout year if they expect to go places. He has the potential to do it, and if hes on that line he'll definitely be put into a position to succeed. We'll see what happens in a month!

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 11:28 AM
  #12
BDubinskyNYR17*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 10,761
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I thought that as the year progressed, especially towards the end Dawes and Drury started to gain some chemistry together.

On more than one occasion Dawes set up Drury with a great pass for a goal, and at big moments during the game.

I think these two are good together despite what some fans think. Dawes is learning to see the ice a different way and he has become a little more of a patient player since being put on Drurys wing. I see his vision being underrated.

I think we could potentially see a Dawes - Drury - Zherdev line because Zherdev like to carry the puck and set up plays. Both Drury and Dawes can get into areas where he can find them and vise-versa.

We'll see what transpires but either way you cut it, IMO the Rangers need Dawes to step up and have a career breakout year if they expect to go places. He has the potential to do it, and if hes on that line he'll definitely be put into a position to succeed. We'll see what happens in a month!
dawes drury callahan i think was the line or was it dawes drury prucha??? anyways i hope prucha stays unless someone overpays

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 11:30 AM
  #13
we want cup
We do not Sow
 
we want cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Minneapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 10,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDubinskyNYR17 View Post
dawes drury callahan i think was the line or was it dawes drury prucha??? anyways i hope prucha stays unless someone overpays
hmmm i remember the dawes drury cally, but nothing with prucha. there was dawes dubi prucha for a while, which i seem to remember was a very solid line...

__________________

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 11:42 AM
  #14
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I thought that as the year progressed, especially towards the end Dawes and Drury started to gain some chemistry together.

On more than one occasion Dawes set up Drury with a great pass for a goal, and at big moments during the game.

I think these two are good together despite what some fans think. Dawes is learning to see the ice a different way and he has become a little more of a patient player since being put on Drurys wing. I see his vision being underrated.

I think we could potentially see a Dawes - Drury - Zherdev line because Zherdev like to carry the puck and set up plays. Both Drury and Dawes can get into areas where he can find them and vise-versa.

We'll see what transpires but either way you cut it, IMO the Rangers need Dawes to step up and have a career breakout year if they expect to go places. He has the potential to do it, and if hes on that line he'll definitely be put into a position to succeed. We'll see what happens in a month!
Totally agree here.

Dawes - Drury - Zherdev

That's a quality second line. Two wingers who are deft at shooting the puck, but are also quite underrated when it comes to play-making. Z and Dawes putting the puck on the net from both sides of the ice, and Drury banging in the rebounds like he has done for so many seasons already. With the chemistry that Drury and Dawes have already shown, I think adding Zherdev to that line can only make it better. Plus it keeps everyone at their natural positions which is a good thing.

I also think we'll see more from Zherdev if he isn't thrust into first line duty and pigeon-holed as a goal scorer.

That leaves Naslund - Gomez - ??? on the first line. We need a fast, dynamic and productive RW for that spot, which is Zherdev in a nutshell, but I'd prefer someone with some more seasons under his belt. Afinogenov perhaps?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 11:53 AM
  #15
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Totally agree here.

Dawes - Drury - Zherdev

That's a quality second line. Two wingers who are deft at shooting the puck, but are also quite underrated when it comes to play-making. Z and Dawes putting the puck on the net from both sides of the ice, and Drury banging in the rebounds like he has done for so many seasons already. With the chemistry that Drury and Dawes have already shown, I think adding Zherdev to that line can only make it better. Plus it keeps everyone at their natural positions which is a good thing.

I also think we'll see more from Zherdev if he isn't thrust into first line duty and pigeon-holed as a goal scorer.

That leaves Naslund - Gomez - ??? on the first line. We need a fast, dynamic and productive RW for that spot, which is Zherdev in a nutshell, but I'd prefer someone with some more seasons under his belt. Afinogenov perhaps?
And thats the problem with offense right now.

We very well might see more from Zherdev on the second line, not to mention screwing up opposing defense matchups because he isn't on the first line with Gomez. If speed and puck carrying is going to be the focus up front it would be wise to split those two up. Besides, is Zherdev committed to defense enough to play first line minutes? Yeah, hell probably play about the same amount on the Drury line, but the real question is going to be if he can contribute enough defensively to warrant that time and matching up against other first lines...

Afinogenov perhaps, what about Nagy who hasnt been signed? Someone who can play the type of game Gomez plays and can bury pucks. It doesnt have to be a superstar. A guy like Gionta FLOURISHED on a line with Gomez and Elias, and thats essentially what you need with a Naslund/Gomez combination. A guy who can keep up, strong on the puck, goes to the net with the ability to finish.

Right now if no one can be brought in i'd love to try Prucha there, but Renney has to sit him down and say "you're our guy". Instill the confidence in him from the start (if he deserves it out of camp). He might be a different player than his career year but give him a shot and stop toying with the kids head. Hes useless on the 3rd line. Maybe youll raise his trade value in the process...

Tough to see what Renney will do, but i think that combo of Dawes - Drury - Zherdev would work wonders.


Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 08-13-2008 at 11:59 AM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 11:54 AM
  #16
BDubinskyNYR17*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 10,761
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Totally agree here.

Dawes - Drury - Zherdev

That's a quality second line. Two wingers who are deft at shooting the puck, but are also quite underrated when it comes to play-making. Z and Dawes putting the puck on the net from both sides of the ice, and Drury banging in the rebounds like he has done for so many seasons already. With the chemistry that Drury and Dawes have already shown, I think adding Zherdev to that line can only make it better. Plus it keeps everyone at their natural positions which is a good thing.

I also think we'll see more from Zherdev if he isn't thrust into first line duty and pigeon-holed as a goal scorer.

That leaves Naslund - Gomez - ??? on the first line. We need a fast, dynamic and productive RW for that spot, which is Zherdev in a nutshell, but I'd prefer someone with some more seasons under his belt. Afinogenov perhaps?
no thanks id rather bring back shanny

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 11:55 AM
  #17
BDubinskyNYR17*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 10,761
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
i was hoping for tangauy at the draft. hed fit on that line with gomez and naslund, oh well.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 12:00 PM
  #18
we want cup
We do not Sow
 
we want cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Minneapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 10,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Afinogenov perhaps, what about Nagy who hasnt been signed? Someone who can play the type of game Gomez plays and can bury pucks. It doesnt have to be a superstar. A guy like Gionta FLOURISHED on a line with Gomez and Elias, and thats essentially what you need with a Naslund/Gomez combination. A guy who can keep up, strong on the puck, goes to the net with the ability to finish.
i don't think another signing is gonna be the answer. i think a trade is what we need to both clear out our glut of non top 6 players and a little cap space. people have said over and over that we can't get a great young winger for our "spare parts" (so to speak), but i see no reason why we wouldn't be able to get a decent player who can keep up with scotty and put up reasonable numbers....

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 12:13 PM
  #19
BDubinskyNYR17*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 10,761
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
i don't think another signing is gonna be the answer. i think a trade is what we need to both clear out our glut of non top 6 players and a little cap space. people have said over and over that we can't get a great young winger for our "spare parts" (so to speak), but i see no reason why we wouldn't be able to get a decent player who can keep up with scotty and put up reasonable numbers....
like who another soft winger. i really wanted cole, he would have been perfect, he has speed and plays a physical game and has skill, we can use a gritty power forward winger. i wonder if the yotes would deal shane doan, yea he might be overrated but he is an ufa i believe but he would cost alot.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 12:16 PM
  #20
we want cup
We do not Sow
 
we want cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Minneapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 10,654
vCash: 500
come to think of it, the player we're looking for may be.... dare i say it.... sjostrom?

i kinda like the idea of naslund gomez sjostrom. really fast, sjostrom has some grit and can cause turnovers in the offensive zone, as well as cycle the puck down low....

**steels himself for the waves of criticism to come**

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 12:32 PM
  #21
BDubinskyNYR17*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 10,761
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
come to think of it, the player we're looking for may be.... dare i say it.... sjostrom?

i kinda like the idea of naslund gomez sjostrom. really fast, sjostrom has some grit and can cause turnovers in the offensive zone, as well as cycle the puck down low....

**steels himself for the waves of criticism to come**
i would not mind it, he is good enough defensivly even if he dont score, he is still usefull, he can create chances with his speed and can give the rangers some PP with his hard work. a better option than prucha who should play with drury or dubinsky

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 12:35 PM
  #22
we want cup
We do not Sow
 
we want cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Minneapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 10,654
vCash: 500
naslund gomez sjostrom
dawes drury zherdev
prucha dubinsky callahan/korp


thoughts on that as a top 9?

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 12:38 PM
  #23
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
And thats the problem with offense right now.

We very well might see more from Zherdev on the second line, not to mention screwing up opposing defense matchups because he isn't on the first line with Gomez. If speed and puck carrying is going to be the focus up front it would be wise to split those two up. Besides, is Zherdev committed to defense enough to play first line minutes? Yeah, hell probably play about the same amount on the Drury line, but the real question is going to be if he can contribute enough defensively to warrant that time and matching up against other first lines...

Afinogenov perhaps, what about Nagy who hasnt been signed? Someone who can play the type of game Gomez plays and can bury pucks. It doesnt have to be a superstar. A guy like Gionta FLOURISHED on a line with Gomez and Elias, and thats essentially what you need with a Naslund/Gomez combination. A guy who can keep up, strong on the puck, goes to the net with the ability to finish.

Right now if no one can be brought in i'd love to try Prucha there, but Renney has to sit him down and say "you're our guy". Instill the confidence in him from the start (if he deserves it out of camp). He might be a different player than his career year but give him a shot and stop toying with the kids head. Hes useless on the 3rd line. Maybe youll raise his trade value in the process...

Tough to see what Renney will do, but i think that combo of Dawes - Drury - Zherdev would work wonders.
Unfortunately Nagy is going to have a hard time bouncing back from that neck injury. Not to mention the need to thin out parts of our roster a bit to clear cap room. I don't think we'll see as many picks given up in this years draft because of the hype surrounding it.

Prucha is a LW for one, but he really doesn't have the game to be put up against first pairing d-men night after night. There is a reason he scored so many goals on the PP and that's because he can't generate space for himself, he needs either a) a man advantage, or b) a highly skilled player like Jagr to create it for him.

Frankly, we're going to have a tough start to the season if we're giving a guy like Prucha a chance to prove himself again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDubinskyNYR17 View Post
no thanks id rather bring back shanny

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 01:39 PM
  #24
AK2794
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 161
vCash: 500
I also like the idea of a Dawes-Drury-Zherdev line. Maybe if Anisimov shows he's ready we can see something like:

Naslund-Gomez-Dubinsky
Dawes-Drury-Zherdev
Fritsche-Anisimov-Callahan

AK2794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 04:14 PM
  #25
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: san francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,404
vCash: 500
there was one game when Prucha and Dawes were inhuman. I remember this impossible pass Dawes made to Prucha who was just at the right side of the net. Dawes had just come out from behind the opposition net on the left side, had a quick look, skated to around the dot and made this sick no look pass to the tape of Prucha who roofed it in over the goalie. Much like many of our line combos though, that magic did not carry through for more than 1 or 2 more games.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.