HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Did Dawes ever play with Drury?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-13-2008, 04:34 PM
  #26
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK2794 View Post
I also like the idea of a Dawes-Drury-Zherdev line. Maybe if Anisimov shows he's ready we can see something like:

Naslund-Gomez-Dubinsky
Dawes-Drury-Zherdev
Fritsche-Anisimov-Callahan
I think there's a very real chance we see either this or one of the following:

Naslund-Gomez-Sjostrom
Dawes-Drury-Zherdev
Fritsche-Dubinsky-Callahan

Naslund-Gomez-Dubinsky
Dawes-Drury-Zherdev
Prucha-Fritsche-Callahan

Naslund-Gomez-Dubinsky
Dawes-Drury-Zherdev
Korpikoski-Fritsche-Callahan

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 05:19 PM
  #27
Cherepanisimov
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK2794 View Post
I also like the idea of a Dawes-Drury-Zherdev line. Maybe if Anisimov shows he's ready we can see something like:

Naslund-Gomez-Dubinsky
Dawes-Drury-Zherdev
Fritsche-Anisimov-Callahan
has dubinsky ever played wing in juniors or hartford?
i dont think hes played ANY wing in the NHL

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 05:21 PM
  #28
Cherepanisimov
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Afinogenov perhaps.......a guy who can keep up, strong on the puck, goes to the net with the ability to finish..
too bad afinogenov cant finish

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 11:14 PM
  #29
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
I think there's a very real chance we see either this or one of the following:

Naslund-Gomez-Sjostrom
Dawes-Drury-Zherdev
Fritsche-Dubinsky-Callahan

Naslund-Gomez-Dubinsky
Dawes-Drury-Zherdev
Prucha-Fritsche-Callahan

Naslund-Gomez-Dubinsky
Dawes-Drury-Zherdev
Korpikoski-Fritsche-Callahan
That's disgusting. Sjostrom on the first line almost makes me want to not watch the games.

The speed will be there but nothing else, what the hells the point?

Zherdev can't be with Drury because he needs to be top line RW. No questions asked. Unless people are changing positions, Zherdev is top line RW. Sjostrom cannot play above and beyond Zherdev, and as a matter of fact - no other RW on the team can play near his offensive ability, as a true RW'er.

Drury either needs to be shifted to bring Dubinsky into the top six, or the 2nd line gets weaker and the 1st line gets better instead of two semi-even top 2 lines.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 07:31 AM
  #30
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Staal View Post
That's disgusting. Sjostrom on the first line almost makes me want to not watch the games.

The speed will be there but nothing else, what the hells the point?

Zherdev can't be with Drury because he needs to be top line RW. No questions asked. Unless people are changing positions, Zherdev is top line RW. Sjostrom cannot play above and beyond Zherdev, and as a matter of fact - no other RW on the team can play near his offensive ability, as a true RW'er.

Drury either needs to be shifted to bring Dubinsky into the top six, or the 2nd line gets weaker and the 1st line gets better instead of two semi-even top 2 lines.
Call me crazy but this is what I think is strong..........of course the lines will shuffle from start to finish so whatever we put is going to change depending on chemistry

Lundqvist, Valliquette

Redden, Girardi( watch)
Staal, Rozsival
Kalinen, Mara
Pock (he is 26 and under a NHL contract and he will sit most of the time anyways)

Dawes, Gomez, Naslund ( I think Dawes and Gomez work well together)
Prucha, Drury, Zherdev ( thining Zherdev fits better with Drury and yes Prucha,hah)
Fritsche, Dubinsky, Sjostrom ( could be Cally but more of a offensive line for Freddie)
Voros, Betts, Callahan ( thinking Cally and Betts are the 2nd PK unit)
Rissmiller, Orr ( can easily witch in one of these for Voros, just dependsd on camp)

Crazy depth at Hartford on Forward

Korpikoski, Aminisev, Moore
Parenteau, Byers, Jamtin
Jessiman........................alot of guys that have the potential to step in

on D
Sanguinetti, Potter, Sauer ( if someone goes down in the top 6 they may get the call)

Deminisev, Fahey..........veteran options

G- Wikman

I really like the depth of this team

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 07:46 AM
  #31
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella
 
Carlos Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,152
vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Staal View Post
That's disgusting. Sjostrom on the first line almost makes me want to not watch the games.

The speed will be there but nothing else, what the hells the point?

Zherdev can't be with Drury because he needs to be top line RW. No questions asked.
I don't think it's that bad of an idea, but getting too caught up in what "number" line it is is silly.

Dawes-Drury-Zherdev
Naslund-Gomez-Sjostrom

Happy? Zherdev is "top line RW"

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 08:22 AM
  #32
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Staal View Post
That's disgusting. Sjostrom on the first line almost makes me want to not watch the games.

The speed will be there but nothing else, what the hells the point?

Zherdev can't be with Drury because he needs to be top line RW. No questions asked. Unless people are changing positions, Zherdev is top line RW. Sjostrom cannot play above and beyond Zherdev, and as a matter of fact - no other RW on the team can play near his offensive ability, as a true RW'er.

Drury either needs to be shifted to bring Dubinsky into the top six, or the 2nd line gets weaker and the 1st line gets better instead of two semi-even top 2 lines.
Can't say i agree here.

Sometimes a team has to spread out the talent to make things work. Especially in this case. We saw Dubinsky on the first line with Jagr last year after Gomez and Drury didnt work. The same could have been said for him at the time: "Dubinsky cannot play above and beyond Gomez" - But he did, because he fit on that line.

You do what works and sometimes that involves putting players like Sjostrom in that role to even out the lines. Unfortunately the Rangers have a hole there and it has to be filled. Personally i have no problem with Zherdev on the second line. The dropoff in icetime isnt going to be that significant anyway, and it will keep him away from the other teams best D pair as well. Not only that but he is a puck carrier and could work better with Drury and Dawes who can set up and finish his plays. Zherdev wont be on the first line, but he still will be a top line winger.

I have no problem with giving Sjostrom a shot on the top line either. Hes defensively responsible, can keep up with Gomez and spread out the D, he has some skill and a decent shot. He could very well be an option there, especially when you read a recent comment from Renney about wanting to use him more last season. I think that line would present more than just speed.

I'm not suggesting Zherdev HAS to be on the second line, i just think it will work out that way in the end. I could be wrong and Gomez and him click. If thats the case, great. But Dubi on the first line last year is not much different than Sjostrom there this year IMO.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 08:43 AM
  #33
AK2794
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Can't say i agree here.

I'm not suggesting Zherdev HAS to be on the second line, i just think it will work out that way in the end. I could be wrong and Gomez and him click. If thats the case, great. But Dubi on the first line last year is not much different than Sjostrom there this year IMO.
Exactly, I dont think we need to get too caught up on which player is on the first, second, third line. With the players we have this year, we pretty much are going to have to spread out the offense because we just arent stacked enough to load up on the first line.

I think Sjostrom is very capable of playing on the first line with Naslund and Gomez. He has skill, he's not some Hollwegg or Orr. Remember the game against the Penguins (I think) where he stole the the puck in front of the net and made a nice deke and scored to tie the game up? He's def. got some skills and many people are underating that. Skills and speed + defensive awareness should be enough for him to keep that "first" line working well.

Also, I really feel that Dubi should be in the top 6. Whatever, even if he doesnt start the season there, im pretty sure he will force his way into the top 6 with his play. Of course a lot depends on what Anisimov does in camp. Or Nedved I guess

AK2794 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 08:52 AM
  #34
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK2794 View Post
Exactly, I dont think we need to get too caught up on which player is on the first, second, third line. With the players we have this year, we pretty much are going to have to spread out the offense because we just arent stacked enough to load up on the first line.

I think Sjostrom is very capable of playing on the first line with Naslund and Gomez. He has skill, he's not some Hollwegg or Orr. Remember the game against the Penguins (I think) where he stole the the puck in front of the net and made a nice deke and scored to tie the game up? He's def. got some skills and many people are underating that. Skills and speed + defensive awareness should be enough for him to keep that "first" line working well.

Also, I really feel that Dubi should be in the top 6. Whatever, even if he doesnt start the season there, im pretty sure he will force his way into the top 6 with his play. Of course a lot depends on what Anisimov does in camp. Or Nedved I guess
I think Sjostrom is capable of it to, and more so than a Callahan or Prucha - we'll see if he gets the shot.

About Dubi being in the top 6... again, i think we are concentrating too much on whos top 3, 6, 9 etc... On a team like this where theres so much marginal talent things are going to be spread around and all over there place. To me, Dubi has to prove himself even more to be on the top two lines on THIS team. Without Jagr he might not be as dominant. Yeah, he probably could be considered a top 6 guy, but the same could have been said for Drury last year - and he was playing 3rd line center. Besides... i really like the look of that third line with Fritsche - Dubi and Cally. That line could be a force in of itself, with a very nasty forecheck.

Its going to be interesting how Renney delegates and to be honest we could be discussing lines that NEVER even get a look or for just a game, given what we've seen from him in the past.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 09:46 AM
  #35
MikeyLikesHockey
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 603
vCash: 500
Sense

Let's talk about what makes sense here.

Naslund, Gomez, Zherdev

We signed nas to a large contract he will be on the first line, and the brass has a stiffy about Zherdev, Gomer produced last year so he will be on the first line.

Dubinsky/Drury, Dubinsky/Drury, Sjo , Dawes, or a both gone in a trade for a top 2 RW.

Dubi did well last year inthe #1 spot, and will be playing on a top 2 line somewhere, Most likely either he or drury will play left wing as they both fit the power winger mold. Say what you will but dubi has speed and plays a physical game, would make a great left wing, or center man rushing the puck into the zone as he did last year. Sjo would get right wind duty at first to see how he fits, or maybe dawes but if they both can't produce at that level. To be totally honest, Unless Dawes can convert to a RW he's a goner. He has the speed and should be there.

3rd and 4th lines are not a problem, the big problem is the #2 RW spot.

MikeyLikesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 10:02 AM
  #36
we want cup
We do not Sow
 
we want cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 10,630
vCash: 500
Quote:
Most likely either he or drury will play left wing as they both fit the power winger mold

uhhh, i don't consider drury much of a "power" player.... except on the power play...

__________________

RANGERS =
we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 10:09 AM
  #37
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyGSpot View Post
Let's talk about what makes sense here.

Naslund, Gomez, Zherdev

We signed nas to a large contract he will be on the first line, and the brass has a stiffy about Zherdev, Gomer produced last year so he will be on the first line.

Dubinsky/Drury, Dubinsky/Drury, Sjo , Dawes, or a both gone in a trade for a top 2 RW.

Dubi did well last year inthe #1 spot, and will be playing on a top 2 line somewhere, Most likely either he or drury will play left wing as they both fit the power winger mold. Say what you will but dubi has speed and plays a physical game, would make a great left wing, or center man rushing the puck into the zone as he did last year. Sjo would get right wind duty at first to see how he fits, or maybe dawes but if they both can't produce at that level. To be totally honest, Unless Dawes can convert to a RW he's a goner. He has the speed and should be there.

3rd and 4th lines are not a problem, the big problem is the #2 RW spot.
I dont consider a 4.0 - 2 year deal that large a contract.

Kind of confusing this post.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 11:19 AM
  #38
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I dont consider a 4.0 - 2 year deal that large a contract.

Kind of confusing this post.
Not to mention we signed Drury to a huge contract and he spent last season on the 3rd line.

Your salary shouldn't dictate your position in the lineup.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 11:51 AM
  #39
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Not to mention we signed Drury to a huge contract and he spent last season on the 3rd line.

Your salary shouldn't dictate your position in the lineup.
Exactly.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 11:57 AM
  #40
MikeyLikesHockey
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 603
vCash: 500
Fantasy vs Reality

Ok so you shouldn't let that affect your lines....total bs.


Coaches and GMs are accountable to the fans and owners. If you sign someone for a contract higher than other people...they better play top minutes and on top lines...period.

MikeyLikesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 12:00 PM
  #41
we want cup
We do not Sow
 
we want cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 10,630
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyGSpot View Post
Coaches and GMs are accountable to the fans and owners. If you sign someone for a contract higher than other people...they better play top minutes and on top lines...period.
no, they better play where they're best suited to play and where they're going to be the most productive. by your logic, one of drury or gomez should have been played with jagr in every single ame last year without exception, period. but that didn't happen, because those pairings didn't work, and we found one that did. who cares if it put dubinsky ahead of gomez and drury? it helped the team win.

we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 12:12 PM
  #42
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,263
vCash: 500
I don't bash versatility. I base it solely on the fact that Sjostrom is utterly worthless.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 12:13 PM
  #43
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyGSpot View Post
Ok so you shouldn't let that affect your lines....total bs.


Coaches and GMs are accountable to the fans and owners. If you sign someone for a contract higher than other people...they better play top minutes and on top lines...period.
Drury, Chris - Cap #: 7.050 signed through: 11/12

2007-2008 season: 3rd line


Prucha, Petr - Cap #: 1.4 signed through: 08/09

2007-2008 season: 62 games played, bottom lines.


Dubinsky, Brandon - Cap # .575

2007-2008 season: 82 games played, mainly on 1st line


Fantasy vs. Reality?


HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 12:31 PM
  #44
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyGSpot View Post
Ok so you shouldn't let that affect your lines....total bs.


Coaches and GMs are accountable to the fans and owners. If you sign someone for a contract higher than other people...they better play top minutes and on top lines...period.
Yeah because having higher salaries on the top line to showcase players is more important than line chemistry and wins.


Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 02:25 PM
  #45
MikeyLikesHockey
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Drury, Chris - Cap #: 7.050 signed through: 11/12

2007-2008 season: 3rd line


Prucha, Petr - Cap #: 1.4 signed through: 08/09

2007-2008 season: 62 games played, bottom lines.


Dubinsky, Brandon - Cap # .575

2007-2008 season: 82 games played, mainly on 1st line


Fantasy vs. Reality?


Did we win the cup? No, guess it didn't work then did it. And we got mutilated, never played really good hockey.

MikeyLikesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 02:31 PM
  #46
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyGSpot View Post
Did we win the cup? No, guess it didn't work then did it. And we got mutilated, never played really good hockey.
Are you serious?

Thats your response?

The Rangers finished 9th in the NHL and 5th in the conference, made the playoffs and lost to a team that went to the finals and you think they got mutilated and never played good hockey?

Looks like someone isn't knowledgeable enough to back up their argument.

- Or maybe they are just too proud to admit they are wrong.

That must be it.




HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 02:38 PM
  #47
MikeyLikesHockey
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Are you serious?

Thats your response?

The Rangers finished 9th in the NHL and 5th in the conference, made the playoffs and lost to a team that went to the finals and you think they got mutilated and never played good hockey?

Looks like someone isn't knowledgeable enough to back up their argument.

- Or maybe they are just too proud to admit they are wrong.

That must be it.



22nd in PP goals , 6 th on the pk. 25th in Goals per game. 31 shots a game, 3rd in league with such a horrendus Goals For.

If not for good defensive play we would not have been in the playoffs.

With the money spent and the talent on the squad....um yes, that was horrible hockey. I know the stats....maybe you should look em up.

MikeyLikesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 02:43 PM
  #48
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyGSpot View Post
22nd in PP goals , 6 th on the pk. 25th in Goals per game. 31 shots a game, 3rd in league with such a horrendus Goals For.

If not for good defensive play we would not have been in the playoffs.

With the money spent and the talent on the squad....um yes, that was horrible hockey. I know the stats....maybe you should look em up.
So how does this relate to your argument that you should play the highest contracts on the top lines and ice times?

Using your method the team would be even worse!

If thats your argument than Malik should have played every game on the good defense that "got us to the playoffs" right??

"Coaches and GMs are accountable to the fans and owners. If you sign someone for a contract higher than other people...they better play top minutes and on top lines...period."

Right?

Stop trying to back this up with meaningless garbage, if you dont think the team is good, fine then just say that.
Let me ask you something - with the talent Pittsburgh had, shouldnt they have won the cup?


Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 08-14-2008 at 03:00 PM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2008, 10:16 AM
  #49
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,961
vCash: 500
well.....here is what i expect to see......

drury-gomez-zherdev
naslund-dubinsky-dawes
callahan-fritsche-sjostrom
voros-betts-rissmiller/orr


i think dubinsky should be in the top-6.....there is no doubt he can handle the workload and the ice time considering he doesnt pk.......

also, i really dont want shanahan on this team....there isnt anywhere to put him....and i dont want to see prucha as he i stoo one-dimensional......

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2008, 12:48 PM
  #50
MikeyLikesHockey
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
So how does this relate to your argument that you should play the highest contracts on the top lines and ice times?

Using your method the team would be even worse!

If thats your argument than Malik should have played every game on the good defense that "got us to the playoffs" right??

"Coaches and GMs are accountable to the fans and owners. If you sign someone for a contract higher than other people...they better play top minutes and on top lines...period."

Right?

Stop trying to back this up with meaningless garbage, if you dont think the team is good, fine then just say that.
Let me ask you something - with the talent Pittsburgh had, shouldnt they have won the cup?
Its not meaningless garbage, its statistics, cold hard numbers that show we didn't play as great as everyone would like to think in their own little fantasy world. They should have played the people that were making good money on the top lines, and if they couldn't cut it, they should have been traded.

Cmon Brandon Dubinsky on the top line? Gomer and Jagr should have played together until they gelled, regardless of how horrible they might have been.

Instead we had 3 average scoring lines that didn't cut it in the playoffs. Sorry to bust your bubble here, but why do you think we didn't offer Jagr a contract? It wasn't because of Omsk, it was because he didn't gel with anyone on the team except some 3rd line center. He should have been able to adapt to Gomer or Drury's style.

Since Gomer and Drury are making the most money on the team in terms of forwards they should be the top two line centers, if not why did we pay them so much. Its a case of being accountable for their salaries.

Or would you rather keep them where they were and hope another 3 average lines will win a cup? Unfortunately for the rest of reality and fans in general, decisions are not made solely based on chemistry. Otherwise Drury would have been benched for most of the playoffs. ITs not bS it just the truth....and some people just can't handle the truth.

MikeyLikesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.