HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

better than rec but cant play travel

Old
08-12-2008, 09:38 PM
greekdrummer

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to greekdrummer
better than rec but cant play travel

hi, i have been playing for exactly 1 year (started 101 last august) and i find rec pretty easy now, its not really difficult at all for me. but i dont think im ready for travel and my parents cant afford the $2,500 for the season anyway. im 14 so im a bantam. does anyone know what i can play lol. thank you

greekdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 09:48 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Does your high school have a team?

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 10:10 PM
greekdrummer

yeah im trying out tomorrow lol. my best friend plays travel and he said high school is harder, i may make 3rd line but im not too sure about it.

Old
08-13-2008, 11:26 AM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekdrummer View Post
hi, i have been playing for exactly 1 year (started 101 last august) and i find rec pretty easy now, its not really difficult at all for me. but i dont think im ready for travel and my parents cant afford the $2,500 for the season anyway. im 14 so im a bantam. does anyone know what i can play lol. thank you
Well, making the travel team will depend you your current skill level. Rec hockey as you just mentioned, it the area where you can work on your skills and do them well.

So, let ask the real question.....

1. Can you skate backwards with speed?
2. The same speed as you can skate forward?
3. Can you crossover skating backwards from side to side while controlling the puck and not loosing control?

Because it you can't do these three things I just mentioned, and do them well. You are not ready to move up. These three things are not only for defensmen! They are for forwards as well.

What doing to happen in a game if one of your defensemen get hurt and the coach puts you back there. Can you do the job and do it well? If not, stay in Rec and work on the skills.

After 30+ years of coaching, I have yet to see a kid master these three things their first year. You might be super kid. But if you don't have these three things down pat, stay in Rec. Don't be in such a hurry to over look your skill development. Yes all kids want to score goals, that's where the fun is.

How's your body checking? How's your balance? If you can't control your balance and some kid plays the body on you and you don't now how to give or take a check, your bodies going to pay for it.

For what it worth!
Head Coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 11:27 AM
frito

Does your organization have a house select program? Our org. has travel, house and house select. The house select program is made up of the more skilled players that play in the house program. It is like a mini travel team. They either are the fringe players who didn't quite make a travel team or travel caliber players who for one reason or another are not ready to commit to a full fledge travel team. The kids must be on a house team roster in order to be eligible for the house select team. This type of team can often tiems serve as a stepping stone to a full travel team as well.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 08:34 PM
greekdrummer

theres no house select. and headcoach, i can skate backwards as good as my friend who is one of the top playrs on his travel team and i can check well and i can take a check well, i have played a checking league which was spring high school and i gave and took hits without a problem

Old
08-14-2008, 02:27 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekdrummer View Post
theres no house select. and headcoach, i can skate backwards as good as my friend who is one of the top playrs on his travel team and i can check well and i can take a check well, i have played a checking league which was spring high school and i gave and took hits without a problem
Perfect, sounds like you are set then. Go out and give them he**!

Head Coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote