HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Phaneuf or Bouwmeester

View Poll Results: Phaneuf or Bouwmeester
Phaneuf 126 79.75%
Bouwmeester 32 20.25%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-13-2008, 03:03 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Phaneuf or Bouwmeester

If you had one for the next 10 years and the money was the same, who would it be?

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 03:20 PM
Scottkmlps

vCash: 500
Phaneuf.

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 05:12 PM
Noori

vCash: 50
Dion Phaneuf.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 05:19 PM
Celestial Black

Phaneuf takes it for me.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 06:15 PM
Gapper

I don't feel as biased taking my favorite player when it's 21-2, so I'll take Phaneuf.

Gapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 06:36 PM
tony d
The man

Phaneuf.

People got to learn how to use punctuation. On our radio ads the other day a black man's wallet was reported as missing. Instead of a man's wallet black in colour missing a black man's wallet is missing.
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 08:21 PM
ElSid Crosby

Dion

ElSid Crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 08:22 PM
Walkingthroughforest
ring bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneuf3 View Post
I don't feel as biased taking my favorite player when it's 21-2, so I'll take Phaneuf.
What he said

Walkingthroughforest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 08:29 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Bouwmeester. Barely.

He's a better defenseman. He played the toughest competition among defenseman on his team (Phaneuf was 3rd on his team), averaged more ice-time then any other skater in the league and had comparable BTN numbers doing it. They're similar in terms of goal scoring, but Phaneuf gets more assists.

SK13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 08:30 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

lol. funny stuff

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 08:37 PM
sabresfan129103

"the dion" easily.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 08:39 PM
Gapper

SK13 how are they similar in terms of goal scoring? In the past three years Bouwmeester had 5, 12 and 15. Phaneuf had 20, 17 and 17.

Gapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 10:29 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Phaneuf

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 10:50 PM
Luongo2008*

Phaneuf

Luongo2008* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 11:22 PM
The Big Swede

The one that didn't suck in the World Championship

So DION

The Big Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 01:00 AM
Cogliano13Gagner89

Phaneuf is good but overrated.

I went with Bouwmeester

Cogliano13Gagner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 01:25 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Dion Phaneuf.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 01:26 AM
chewey
dmitri

Jay Bouwmeester.

Why? Well, no offense to Phanny but 18 or so of the top 30 point scorers from last year was in the East, not the West. Dion does play in a more defensive conference, opposed to Bouwmeester who plays in a more offensive conference. Significance - Bowmy faces more competition than Dion does.

Bouwmeester also doesn't have the best support on his team, I mean who does he have to help him on the blue line? Bryan Allan is probably the best support he gets. What does Phanny have? Regehr, Aucion, and Eriksson.

Bouwmeester also led the league on ATOI and his job is to play defense first, not score. Not bad goal scorer either being top 5 dman in goals.

For me, its Bouwmeester, maybe if he played in a playoff team and didn't have to hold the weight of his team's blue line - he could hit 50 points [he has hit 46 before so its not impossible].

Though Phanny is good as well [I am not saying he isn't as good as Bouwmeester, since I choose him by a hair] and I would love to have just for his ability to get under someone's skin and lay the hits. But, in the end I would take Bouwmeester.

Last edited by chewey: 08-14-2008 at 02:05 AM.
chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 03:37 AM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitri View Post
Jay Bouwmeester.

Why? Well, no offense to Phanny but 18 or so of the top 30 point scorers from last year was in the East, not the West. Dion does play in a more defensive conference, opposed to Bouwmeester who plays in a more offensive conference. Significance - Bowmy faces more competition than Dion does.

Bouwmeester also doesn't have the best support on his team, I mean who does he have to help him on the blue line? Bryan Allan is probably the best support he gets. What does Phanny have? Regehr, Aucion, and Eriksson.

Bouwmeester also led the league on ATOI and his job is to play defense first, not score. Not bad goal scorer either being top 5 dman in goals.

For me, its Bouwmeester, maybe if he played in a playoff team and didn't have to hold the weight of his team's blue line - he could hit 50 points [he has hit 46 before so its not impossible].

Though Phanny is good as well [I am not saying he isn't as good as Bouwmeester, since I choose him by a hair] and I would love to have just for his ability to get under someone's skin and lay the hits. But, in the end I would take Bouwmeester.
Gotta say great post, quite convincing. Is going to be really interesting to see what Bouw develops into when he leaves Floria and how Phaneuf turns out in his prime.

Excited to see these.

(I voted Phaneuf btw )

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 03:43 AM
Super Sniper Cele

Send a message via AIM to Super Sniper Cele
Phaneuf.

If Bouwmeester didn't play for Florida this poll would be much closer.

Super Sniper Cele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 04:04 AM
Noori

Quote:
Dion does play in a more defensive conference, opposed to Bouwmeester who plays in a more offensive conference. Significance - Bowmy faces more competition than Dion does.
I'm not sure I get it. Bouwmeester gets less points because he plays in a more offensive conference? J-Bo should be racking up tons of points... especially playing in the division he does.

Quote:
Lol, I get the feeling you don't get many opportunities to watch many Flames games.

Phaneuf.. it's not even close. He's already been nominated for a Norris, scored 20 goals as a rookie, and his defensive game isn't nearly as bad as it used to be.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 04:11 AM
vadim sharifijanov

bouwmeester. phaneuf is significantly better offensively, but bouwmeester is much much better defensively. plus, i think bouwmeester's skill set projects a higher peak than phaneuf. and he may not make the big hits or have the big shot, but bouwmeester's higher hockey IQ and instincts will carry him ten years from now, even after his skating may have dropped a notch.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 05:50 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitri View Post
Jay Bouwmeester.

Regehr had Sarich, Regehr and Aucoin. Erikkson was the worst defenceman on that team by a country mile. Bouwmeester had little support and had to shut down the toughest opposition whilst Phaneuf got butter minutes in the second pairing, being sheltered from top players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneuf3 View Post
SK13 how are they similar in terms of goal scoring? In the past three years Bouwmeester had 5, 12 and 15. Phaneuf had 20, 17 and 17.
15 and 17. I only pulled last years stats, didn't think it would matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Highlander View Post
I'm not sure I get it. Bouwmeester gets less points because he plays in a more offensive conference? J-Bo should be racking up tons of points... especially playing in the division he does.

Florida was 20th in goals-per-game. Calgary was 14th. Dion Phanuef played against such all-stars all Ethan Moreau, Ryan Kesler and James Sheppard last year, Bouwmeester was matched up with Ovechkin, Eric Staal, Ilya Kovalchuk and Vincent Lecavalier. You don't see the logic there?

Lol, I get the feeling you don't get many opportunities to watch many Flames games.

Phaneuf.. it's not even close. He's already been nominated for a Norris, scored 20 goals as a rookie, and his defensive game isn't nearly as bad as it used to be.

He just didn't deserve his nomination. I don't see why 20 goals as a rookie qualifies him as better now - he hasn't matched that since. And regardless of where his defensive game is (and he's still playing sheltered minutes), Bouwmeester is considerably better in that category.
Just my thoughts.

SK13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 08:29 AM
dangler71

Phaneuf no question. Love J-Bo, but Phaneuf.

dangler71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 08:59 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Highlander View Post

I think the point is that Bouw faces more offense that he's tasked with shutting down than Phaneuf does. And that makes sense, even considering the division alone. It doesn't really matter that Phanuef himself scores more, if Bouw is better at shutting down other scorers.

I voted Bouw. They're both good, Phaneuf has the better offense and toughness, but Bouw is by far the better one defensively and he's a real workhorse.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote