HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Phaneuf or Bouwmeester

View Poll Results: Phaneuf or Bouwmeester
Phaneuf 126 79.75%
Bouwmeester 32 20.25%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-14-2008, 09:04 AM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

vCash: 500
2 great young D men,I like Bouwmeester more

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 11:12 AM
ryz

Haven't we done this exact same poll 3 or 4 times this offseason?

Same answer. Phaneuf.

ryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 11:13 AM
Hale The Villain

vCash: 50
Phaneuf's hitting really makes the difference for me, he is a terrific stand-up blueliner

He makes everyone keep their head up, he has a cannon of a shot, and is equally good in all three zones

Boumeester is terrific as a blueliner but Phaneuf is slightly better

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 11:33 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensational Spezza View Post
Phaneuf's hitting really makes the difference for me, he is a terrific stand-up blueliner

He makes everyone keep their head up, he has a cannon of a shot, and is equally good in all three zones

Boumeester is terrific as a blueliner but Phaneuf is slightly better
No he's not.

Seriously, you want your star players out against him over Regehr and Sarich 10 times out of 10. He's way easier to expose.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 11:36 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogliano13Gagner89 View Post
Phaneuf is good but overrated.

I went with Bouwmeester
I always thought it was bouwmeester who was just a bit overrated...

so phaneuf

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 11:37 AM
bishop12
Ovyously

Easy: Dion

After watching loads of JayBo the last couple f years (being a caps fan) I have to say I'm unimpressed. He's good, don't get me wrong, but his name gives him the hype.

I just don't see him living up to his predraft billing.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 12:56 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

vCash: 966
Phaneuf doesn't even go against Thornton's, Hemsky's [for example], Datsyuk's etc....It's Reghyr's job along with Cory Sarich.

Defensively, I'll take Jay Bouwmeester though Phaneuf isn't very far. In everything else, I'll take Phaneuf so my vote goes to Phaneuf.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 01:00 PM
M00se

It pains me as an Oiler fan to say Phaneuf.

M00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 01:03 PM
misfit

Personally, I'd rather have Bouwmeester. And it's not because I hate Dion Phaneuf. I'd be happy with either one.

08-14-2008, 01:06 PM
Burnaby_Joe*

Phaneuf

Burnaby_Joe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 01:39 PM
chewey
dmitri

vCash: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Highlander View Post
I'm not sure I get it. Bouwmeester gets less points because he plays in a more offensive conference? J-Bo should be racking up tons of points... especially playing in the division he does.

Lol, I get the feeling you don't get many opportunities to watch many Flames games.

Phaneuf.. it's not even close. He's already been nominated for a Norris, scored 20 goals as a rookie, and his defensive game isn't nearly as bad as it used to be.
Well, its because of the division he doesn't get much points. I mean - Ovechkin, Staal, Kovalchuk, St. Louis, Vinny, Backstrom, Semin, etc. Plus he also plays other Eastern teams like Montreal and such more than the Flames do. I am not saying there isn't any talent in the West - far from it - just saying the East is more open than the west.

Now when you go up against the top players your job is to play defense - not score. He has to shut down - or prevent - the others from scoring. Plus like I said he was top 5 in goals for a dman so he does have offensive talent.

As for Flames game - not really I went by stats and the only Dman closest to playing the same time as Bowmy is Allen. He has 21 ATOI while Bowmy has 27, then it drops to Jassen Cullimore whose ATOI is about 17 min. Not really the best Dman support. As for Phaneuf - I looked at who he got support from and since I assumed since Erickson averaged 20 minutes or so and had 18 points that he was a good dman didn't know he sucked. My bad - stats fooled me.

But like I said - Phaneuf is good and I choose Bowmy by a hair since he doesn't have the same hockey market in FLA like there is in CLG so he isn't as noticed plus he doesn't exactly have a playoff team. I choose him since if he was on a better team with more support and had a reliable Dman to support him he could do better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Regehr had Sarich, Regehr and Aucoin. Erikkson was the worst defenceman on that team by a country mile. Bouwmeester had little support and had to shut down the toughest opposition whilst Phaneuf got butter minutes in the second pairing, being sheltered from.
LOL - again my bad when I looked at the stats 20 ATOI and 18 points in 65 games didn't look bad. But I was fooled.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 01:52 PM
Noori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitri View Post
Well, its because of the division he doesn't get much points. I mean - Ovechkin, Staal, Kovalchuk, St. Louis, Vinny, Backstrom, Semin, etc. Plus he also plays other Eastern teams like Montreal and such more than the Flames do. I am not saying there isn't any talent in the West - far from it - just saying the East is more open than the west.

Now when you go up against the top players your job is to play defense - not score. He has to shut down - or prevent - the others from scoring. Plus like I said he was top 5 in goals for a dman so he does have offensive talent.

As for Flames game - not really I went by stats and the only Dman closest to playing the same time as Bowmy is Allen. He has 21 ATOI while Bowmy has 27, then it drops to Jassen Cullimore whose ATOI is about 17 min. Not really the best Dman support. As for Phaneuf - I looked at who he got support from and since I assumed since Erickson averaged 20 minutes or so and had 18 points that he was a good dman didn't know he sucked. My bad - stats fooled me.

But like I said - Phaneuf is good and I choose Bowmy by a hair since he doesn't have the same hockey market in FLA like there is in CLG so he isn't as noticed plus he doesn't exactly have a playoff team. I choose him since if he was on a better team with more support and had a reliable Dman to support him he could do better.

LOL - again my bad when I looked at the stats 20 ATOI and 18 points in 65 games didn't look bad. But I was fooled.
True, Phaneuf plays on the PP with the likes of Iginla and Huselius and he does play in a market like Calgary so he does have a better opportunity to shine but Phaneuf is a workhorse. He can play (and he does play) in all types of situations and he does fairly well. Bouwmeester may have been first in the league in TOI but just take a wild guess who was second.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 01:59 PM
chewey
dmitri

Quote:
True, Phaneuf plays on the PP with the likes of Iginla and Huselius and he does play in a market like Calgary so he does have a better opportunity to shine but Phaneuf is a workhorse. He can play (and he does play) in all types of situations and he does fairly well. Bouwmeester may have been first in the league in TOI but just take a wild guess who was second.
Dan Boyle, Zdeno Chara, Nicklas Lidstrom then Phaneuf.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/statis...type=2&pos=all

Though Boyle missed a lot of games so he really doesn't count bit still its not Dion thats 2nd

Old
08-14-2008, 02:06 PM
Noori

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Florida was 20th in goals-per-game. Calgary was 14th. Dion Phanuef played against such all-stars all Ethan Moreau, Ryan Kesler and James Sheppard last year, Bouwmeester was matched up with Ovechkin, Eric Staal, Ilya Kovalchuk and Vincent Lecavalier. You don't see the logic there?

Thank you for actually even bothering to mention the best players in the NW.

He just didn't deserve his nomination. I don't see why 20 goals as a rookie qualifies him as better now - he hasn't matched that since. And regardless of where his defensive game is (and he's still playing sheltered minutes), Bouwmeester is considerably better in that category.

It doesn't matter whether or not you think he did or didn't deserve, the Professional Hockey Writers Association sure did and I think I value their opinion on who deserves to be nominated slightly more than yours. In any case, Phaneuf was nominated, Bouwmeester wasn't. Why? Because Phaneuf was the better defencemen of the two.

I was just using the goals as an example to show that part of his game. His goal total has only dropped by 3 but his # of points have been climbing.

I don't see how you can be second in TOI in the league and still be playing sheltered minutes. Just because Regehr does it slightly better, doesn't mean Phaneuf can't do a hell of a job. Phaneuf plays in all situations; when the game is on the line, you can bet your money that Phaneuf is out there.

I hate to bring intangibles in here but those are something Phaneuf possesses. He is a pest, he absolutley loves getting under the skin of the oppoition and he does a great job. He's also vocal and is a leader (from what I have seen)

Last edited by Noori: 08-14-2008 at 02:11 PM.
Old
08-14-2008, 02:07 PM
Noori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitri View Post
Dan Boyle, Zdeno Chara, Nicklas Lidstrom then Phaneuf.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/statis...type=2&pos=all

Though Boyle missed a lot of games so he really doesn't count bit still its not Dion thats 2nd
TOI total. Still even TOI per game, he's still top 5. Look at that, more minutes than Regehr and Sarich.

Old
08-14-2008, 02:10 PM
chewey
dmitri

Quote:
TOI total. Still even TOI per game, he's still top 5. Look at that, more minutes than Regehr and Sarich.
LOL - ah hush you!
I misread and thought you forgot the "A" by accident.
But ya in that case its Dion.

Old
08-14-2008, 03:08 PM
Ronald Pagan

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good argument there Oiler fans.

Ronald Pagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 03:14 PM
Hyperkookeez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11_THEBEST! View Post

Defensively, I'll take Jay Bouwmeester though Phaneuf isn't very far. In everything else, I'll take Phaneuf so my vote goes to Phaneuf.
+1

not to mention playing with eriksson helped improve phaneufs defensive game last season

Hyperkookeez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 03:39 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogliano13Gagner89 View Post
Phaneuf is good but overrated.

I went with Bouwmeester
Overrated? C'mon the guy puts of double digit goals every season he's played in, how much better to do you want him to be? Bouwmeester isn't over rated?

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 05:11 PM
mckeefan*

EDM fans = Bouw
Everyone else = Dion

mckeefan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 06:29 PM
Kamina
Amok

I voted Bouwmeester for the lulz.

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 07:47 PM
rigger

I pick J Bo.

Better passer, skater and defensive player.

Phaneuf is a better scorer and hitter but still takes himself out of position to make that hit with relative frequency.

rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 08:21 PM
rideaucrusher21

Phaneuf

norris finalist and a game changer

cant say the same for JBo even though he is a great player as well

rideaucrusher21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2008, 07:22 AM
Wisent

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Overrated? C'mon the guy puts of double digit goals every season he's played in, how much better to do you want him to be? Bouwmeester isn't over rated?
You ahve to take into consideration, that Dion takes quite a lot of unnecessary penalties. Don't know if many of them led to a goal, but being on the penalty kill is always bad. That is the only knock I have on Dion as of know. Hope he will mature a bit.

Wisent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2008, 07:34 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

I'm still waiting for Bouwmeester to live up to the hype. He a fine player but IMO he just hasn't earned the praise he gets. Perhaps a change of scenery would do him good.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote