HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Goaltending depth

Old
08-14-2008, 08:58 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Goaltending depth

Is anyone a bit concerned about the lack of it? Yea, Lundqvist is our guy, but below him, outside of Wiikman maybe developing into a solid prospect, there isn't much to fall back on.

Lundqvist
Valiquette
Wiikman
Zaba
Lafleur

Does anyone see Sather signing another goalie, preferably veteran to have in the system just in case? Because if we're in the playoffs and Lundqvist gets injured, is Vally really the guy you want to throw in? Almost every team that has went to the finals in recent years has had to utilize their backup in key situations.

Ward for the Canes in '06 - Gerber was the man all year, but faltered in the playoffs.
Markkanen for the Oilers in '06 finals - Roloson went down in the finals.
Bryzgalov for the Ducks in '07 - he won them a couple of rounds while Giguere was out.
And recently Osgood for the Wings. You have one of the greatest goalies of all time in Hasek, but he just loses his game when the rest of the team is dominating.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 09:06 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
I see us drafting another goalie or two in the 2009 draft, personally.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 09:22 AM
Mrpuck

You either have to trust Vally to be able to win us some games or you replace him. There is no room under the cap to sign a "vet" goalie to sit behind Lundqvist. Also most of the better ones are not even going to want that job knowing how many games Hank will see.

Vally is really the best option. And like many teams the team will live or die behind him come playoff time. Most of the examples you gave were on goalie tandem teams. (Meaning they shared a lot more games).

On teams where a goalie is making top $$. Brodeur, Luongo, Kipper, etc. The backup is pretty nominal.

I'm rather happy with Vally quite honestly. The guy gets the job done when asked and never complains.

Mrpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 09:29 AM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

i think vally is one of the best backups in the league (speaking only about backups, ignoring places with 2 competing goalies). he happily sits on the bench and cheers the team on, but when we need him to play, he gets in and does some pretty outstanding work.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 09:29 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Wiikman is better then just a solid prospect, IMO.

His first year in the AHL and he went 21-8-3 with 2.30 GAA and .919 Sv% in 34 games.

This after having equally solid years in Finland.

He should be our backup this coming season. Valiquette was good against SPECIFIC teams last year. However, there is nothing long term with Valiquette. IMO they are pushing their luck with him again and forcing Lundqvist to possibly play more then he physically can handle.

Wiikman working with Lundqvist and Benoit Allaire this upcoming season would have been invaluable to his development. And probably would have been 100% ready to be the full time backup to Lundqvist for the long haul after this up coming season.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 09:30 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
Is anyone a bit concerned about the lack of it? Yea, Lundqvist is our guy, but below him, outside of Wiikman maybe developing into a solid prospect, there isn't much to fall back on.

Lundqvist
Valiquette
Wiikman
Zaba
Lafleur

Does anyone see Sather signing another goalie, preferably veteran to have in the system just in case? Because if we're in the playoffs and Lundqvist gets injured, is Vally really the guy you want to throw in? Almost every team that has went to the finals in recent years has had to utilize their backup in key situations.

Ward for the Canes in '06 - Gerber was the man all year, but faltered in the playoffs.
Markkanen for the Oilers in '06 finals - Roloson went down in the finals.
Bryzgalov for the Ducks in '07 - he won them a couple of rounds while Giguere was out.
And recently Osgood for the Wings. You have one of the greatest goalies of all time in Hasek, but he just loses his game when the rest of the team is dominating.
There is no longer such a thing as goaltending depth because of the Cap. Teams that have goaltending depth will only have it for a short period of time because whoever comes in 2nd will soon be gone.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 09:35 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Yes, unfortunately you live and die with your starter.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 09:37 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Goaltending depth is the last thing this team needs to worry about.

Can anyone really picture Lundqvist going Jim Carey on us? If he gets injured, well, the cases of any team recovering from the loss of their #1 goaltender are few and far between.

Lundqvist will be the man for the next decade.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 10:35 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpuck View Post
You either have to trust Vally to be able to win us some games or you replace him. There is no room under the cap to sign a "vet" goalie to sit behind Lundqvist. Also most of the better ones are not even going to want that job knowing how many games Hank will see.

Vally is really the best option. And like many teams the team will live or die behind him come playoff time. Most of the examples you gave were on goalie tandem teams. (Meaning they shared a lot more games).

On teams where a goalie is making top $$. Brodeur, Luongo, Kipper, etc. The backup is pretty nominal.

I'm rather happy with Vally quite honestly. The guy gets the job done when asked and never complains.
yea but this aint the devils, after marty who is in his late 30's dont have much. at least we have some future in net with Lundqvist, Wiikman and maybe Zaba.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 10:37 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I see us drafting another goalie or two in the 2009 draft, personally.
i doubt we draft 2 goalies. if anything maybe a euro goalie, we seem to do well with those in the late rounds, or we can draft another johan holmqvist, vitali yeremenev

Old
08-14-2008, 11:00 AM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
Wiikman working with Lundqvist and Benoit Allaire this upcoming season would have been invaluable to his development. And probably would have been 100% ready to be the full time backup to Lundqvist for the long haul after this up coming season.
Allaire regularly travels to Hartford to work with the goalies there. Having Wiikman sit in NY not playing this season would hamper his development, not help it. He needs to play in order to get better. Stopping pucks in organized drills at practice is nice, but its nothing compared to the experience he'll get in Hartford as the #1 this season. He's a talented goalie, but he has a ways to go before he's ready for the NHL. Working with Allaire and getting in-game experience in Hartford is the best way for him to get there.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 12:02 PM
mti79

I wasn't aware that Jussi Markkanen was a solid backup... and I really wouldn't put him in the same group with Ward, Bryzgalov and Osgood.

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 12:15 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mti79 View Post
I wasn't aware that Jussi Markkanen was a solid backup... and I really wouldn't put him in the same group with Ward, Bryzgalov and Osgood.
Do you read? All I did was list the backups that had to play in vital roles in their teams cup run, just so happens he wasn't as successful as the others.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 12:42 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Markkanen was not bad as a rangers backup. im shocked he is not in the league right now. i wonder if he comes back to the NHL. im sure some team that needs goaltending help like the kings would take him, he cant be worse than what they have. 1244 mins 2 shutouts 2.56 8 12 1 558 0.913 in 2003-04. not a bad record considering the crappy team he was on

Old
08-14-2008, 01:39 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Allaire regularly travels to Hartford to work with the goalies there. Having Wiikman sit in NY not playing this season would hamper his development, not help it. He needs to play in order to get better. Stopping pucks in organized drills at practice is nice, but its nothing compared to the experience he'll get in Hartford as the #1 this season. He's a talented goalie, but he has a ways to go before he's ready for the NHL. Working with Allaire and getting in-game experience in Hartford is the best way for him to get there.
Touche. That is a good way of looking at it.

I still feel he is pretty much a lock to be at least a backup NHL goaltender within the next two years.

He has been very consistent through his career.

If he has another solid season in the AHL this year, it will be pretty hard to hold him back. Even if he gets 10 games in the NHL his rookie year. I think he would be a very good backup to Lundqvist, and give Lundqvist more rest. Henke can't continue to get burnt out half way through each season. He needs someone who can come in and play once a week, no matter who the opponent is. Not just Toronto and Philly.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 03:35 PM
mti79

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
Do you read? All I did was list the backups that had to play in vital roles in their teams cup run, just so happens he wasn't as successful as the others.
You're right. I was wrong. My bad... I thought you were pointing out teams with good backups that went on deep runs.... I was not trying to insult you.

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote