HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

THN Predicts the Rangers will underachieve

Old
08-14-2008, 05:02 PM
Fletch

vCash: 500
Rangers35...

it's funny when I hear people speak bad about Jagr, as in "the maestro". The maestro was the main reason the team even had a chance in any of the last three seasons. I'm all for a 'team' kind of approach, but at the same time if you look at many of the successful teams over the past however many years, they all had a Jagr-type. A guy who can dominate each shift, and there's nothing wrong with that if you have the right coach who knows how to use his players correctly. And to be honest, when you have a guy with 120+ points and nearly 100 points and the cap hit's under $5MM, you should be able to build a pretty decent team around that guy because that's basically a gift considering a guy like Malone costs a shade under $5MM per year and Drury, coming off a career-high 69 point season gets $7MM.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 05:22 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
Not sure what is so hard to grasp about what they are doing.

This is a transition year.

Next year's roster is going to be far more talented then this upcoming season's roster, and more talented then last year's.

It really boggles my mind how these so called experts just don't get it.

Sanguinetti, Cherepanov, Anisimov that right there is only PART of what will might be added to the team in 2009-2010.
Fixed that for you.

I don't see how we can underachieve when nobody knows what to expect from this team. It's one thing to add Gomez and Drury to a lineup with Straka, Shanny and Jagr and say we're a cup contender, but it's quite another to say we're going to 'underachieve' after a massive overhaul of the roster.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 05:38 PM
Fletch

I think the underachieving is when compared to last season. That's not underachieving in my opinion, but I'm guessing that's on what it's based.

Old
08-14-2008, 05:38 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
i hope the critics predict the blueshirts to finish 30th again like 05-06 cuz they were SOOOO wrong......we can shock the world again, i have alittle more faith in this team...maybe partly because of a new offensive system and i was waiting for renney to be able to take full control from jagr lolol

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 06:05 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
It goes back to that old, simple saying; ďif it ainít broke, donít fix it.Ē
Errr...what about the Pittsburgh series signified "it ain't broke"?

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 06:17 PM
TheSchwab

Send a message via MSN to TheSchwab
Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post
Anyone who didn't pay meticulously close attention to the Rangers last year is not going to realize that a changing of the old guard was needed.

We may be worse in the standings this year becaus of it, but an aging Jagr, Shanahan, and Straka were not going to bring us a Cup in this lifetime.

Most people will look at the stat sheet and see that we are minus Jagr, Straka, and Shanny and say we are now soft and will be a sorse team... and they may be right, but it was a move that needed to happen and makes us better in near future when we can possibly contend for a Cup.

I wish we could have kept Jagr for another year or two, I was the guy's biggest supporter... but I simply cannot be mad at Sather for letting him go, it was the right move... if not a year or so early. I'll miss Avery too, but he was not making us better in the playoffs either, and 4 years was too long.
Very well put.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
The only spot on part of the article is when they stated the Rangers will have to win big games in April to make the playoffs.

But if THN thinks the Rangers are a worse team than they were a year ago, they are dead wrong.
Also agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Errr...what about the Pittsburgh series signified "it ain't broke"?
Touche

All in all, I acutally don't mind the Rangers being given above average ratings. Half the people on this board will have higher expectations, including myself, but that allows us to move on imo.

Last seasons team got to the same point as the previous year, yet it was deemed as somewhat of a failure by some. But in my experience in hockey as a player and fan, every team needs those years because they kinda tell you whats working and what isn't (It's like that one friend who will tell you if your being an idiot).

I'm excited about the season, and I'm even more excited when I read up on our divisional oppoents lol.

TheSchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 07:01 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Fixed that for you.

I don't see how we can underachieve when nobody knows what to expect from this team. It's one thing to add Gomez and Drury to a lineup with Straka, Shanny and Jagr and say we're a cup contender, but it's quite another to say we're going to 'underachieve' after a massive overhaul of the roster.
There's no 'might' regarding those players.

Cherepanov is the closest to 'might' because there is no guarantee that he will be in NA. However, he probably will be.

Sanguinetti and Anisimov will content for a spot this year, it is a foregone conclusion that they will be regulars by 2009-2010.

The only way they won't be is if they're traded. And unless it is for someone like Gaborik or Kovalchuck, that is unlikely.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 07:16 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
There's no 'might' regarding those players.

Cherepanov is the closest to 'might' because there is no guarantee that he will be in NA. However, he probably will be.
Closest to might? That seems like 'might' in a nutshell right there.

Quote:
Sanguinetti and Anisimov will content for a spot this year, it is a foregone conclusion that they will be regulars by 2009-2010.

The only way they won't be is if they're traded. And unless it is for someone like Gaborik or Kovalchuck, that is unlikely.
Oh please. Sanguinetti isn't going to win a spot this year as a 6/7 d-man when he could be racking up top-4 minutes in Hartford.

Anisimov is the closest to making the lineup, but even he will have a hard time considering our depth at center and need for another top-six winger.

There is a good chance Anisimov will be worked into the lineup next year, but Sanguinetti is hardly a lock to get a spot. I can appreciate your faith in our prospects, but you're high if you think they're guaranteed to make the jump to the NHL next year.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 08:23 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

THN also predicted the red wings would lose to colorado, dallas, and pittsburgh in the playoffs

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 08:25 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
THN also predicted the red wings would lose to colorado, dallas, and pittsburgh in the playoffs
and they also have Brendan Morrow better than Joe Thornton.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 08:38 PM
303Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by segmentation fault View Post
I dont get why everyone is putting so much of an emphasis on Jagr Shanahan and Straka leaving. Its not like they had that big of an impact last year.
Jagr carried the team on his back in the playoffs and was the reason for any success. We'll see what player will take his place as the player other team hammer night in and night out with their top defensive pairing and best defensive forward unit like Jagr had on him every night.

303Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 09:24 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Did they say the same thing about the Pens????
who went to the finals but let hossa, malone and others go and brought in Ilses rejects???

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 10:22 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Joe View Post
Jagr carried the team on his back in the playoffs and was the reason for any success. We'll see what player will take his place as the player other team hammer night in and night out with their top defensive pairing and best defensive forward unit like Jagr had on him every night.

I'm still trying to figure out how Jagr carried this team on his back, when.......

Gomez setup the first three goals against the Devils, in Game One......

Gomez setup the Game Winning Goal in Game Two........

Gomez scored the first goal of the game in Game Four and scored the empty netter (unassisted) to go up 5-3 and finish off the Devils, in Game Four.

And scored the third goal in Game Five.

Gomez finished the Round One Devils series with 3 Goals and 5 Assists, for 8 Points in 5 games.

Jagr finished off the Round One Devils series with 2 Goals and 6 Assists, for 8 Points in 5 games.

So remind again how Jagr carried this team on his back, through out the Playoffs?

You mean Jagr carried the Rangers through one win in the Second Round Penguins series?

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2008, 09:01 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeds2StepOpus View Post
I'm still trying to figure out how Jagr carried this team on his back, when.......

Gomez setup the first three goals against the Devils, in Game One......

Gomez setup the Game Winning Goal in Game Two........

Gomez scored the first goal of the game in Game Four and scored the empty netter (unassisted) to go up 5-3 and finish off the Devils, in Game Four.

And scored the third goal in Game Five.

Gomez finished the Round One Devils series with 3 Goals and 5 Assists, for 8 Points in 5 games.

Jagr finished off the Round One Devils series with 2 Goals and 6 Assists, for 8 Points in 5 games.

So remind again how Jagr carried this team on his back, through out the Playoffs?

You mean Jagr carried the Rangers through one win in the Second Round Penguins series?
you've got to be kidding me. Jagr lead ALL the players in the playoffs in points when we got eliminated. he did this going against other teams' TOP defensemen EVERY SHIFT. Gomez did not go against top dmen, he didn't lead the team in points. He wasn't noticeable every shift either like Jagr was. You just have a hate for jagr.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2008, 09:09 AM
SaveByLundqvist

The game isn't played on paper, I'll wait til Oct 4 thank you "experts" at THN.

SaveByLundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2008, 09:12 AM
Fletch

jed - without Jagr, the Rangers don't make the playoffs, don't win the first round, and get blown out of PITT. In five games he had at least two points three times. Don't think that's enough? He had his hand in 1/2 of the Rangers' total points, and again, it was spread out over three games. He did what he had to. Was Drury's three points enough? Was one goal from Dawes enough? Ditto Shanny. Or, was 14 goals against too much? Seems to me there was a lack of scoring depth and a lack of good defense/goaltending that contributed to last season's loss in PITT. Is this season's team goaltending better and is this season's team scoring depth better?

I'm still very upset that you people have made me come in here and defend Jagr, as I was a critic of sorts for three seasons (really of Renney, not Jagr though). He's gone and even a Jagr at 70% has not been replaced. We hope that the overall team has been improved, but at the same time, I'm confused about comments about how everything went through Jagr, and how this year will be so much different without Jagr. I'll reiterate - he led this team and was a cap hit of less than $5MM per season. Even with 70 points, that's a bargain, and it's a real shame Sather couldn't put together a team around him that made a heck of a lot of sense given his production and cap hit. That was a gift, and he blew it even by borrowing from this season.

Further, why didn't the Rangers play this new uptempo style last season? Why couldn't the other three lines play this puck-pursuit, up-tempo style? I'm very curious to see this in the upcoming season. And heck, what was wrong with Jagr's style? It worked for him and the team and his linemates. Jagr wasn't the problem.

Old
08-15-2008, 09:48 AM
94now

It's semantics... The author should have said "non-achievers" instead of "under..."
Sather got us in premature re-build simply because he failed as GM this off season. Any attempt to sell it as something needed or planned is ludicrous. Well, we have G and D. Plus Gomez and Drury.We should be called the New York Devils.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2008, 09:51 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Closest to might? That seems like 'might' in a nutshell right there.

Oh please. Sanguinetti isn't going to win a spot this year as a 6/7 d-man when he could be racking up top-4 minutes in Hartford.

Anisimov is the closest to making the lineup, but even he will have a hard time considering our depth at center and need for another top-six winger.

There is a good chance Anisimov will be worked into the lineup next year, but Sanguinetti is hardly a lock to get a spot. I can appreciate your faith in our prospects, but you're high if you think they're guaranteed to make the jump to the NHL next year.
Sanguinetti, Anisimov, and Cherepanov are going to be full time NHL players in 2009-2010, guaranteed.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2008, 10:14 AM
Theoren Fan

Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
I feel like I'm the only one alive that has actually high expectations of the team this season.

Theoren Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2008, 10:20 AM
Nekz
Let's Go Rangers!

Send a message via AIM to Nekz
As long as we beat the smug devils and the islanders, it's a good season by me.

Nekz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2008, 10:32 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
I didnít like much of what the Rangers did this off-season and I couldnít figure out why a team that was so close to being a legitimate conference champion contender would re-shape its image.
I think that assessment oversimplifies things. If Jagr and Avery had be willing to be flexible with their contract terms and conditions, they'd be here. If Straka and Shanny had earned contract offers, they'd have gotten them. One group doesn't want to be here, the other doesn't deserve to be.

This team's legitimacy as a cup contender lies with Lundqvist, Gomez and Drury, and to a degree, Staal. That hasn't changed, and it won't for a long, long time.

Jagr was great. Too bad for him the teams he led weren't that great and left him to do all the heavy lifting. Personally, I thought it was pretty uninspiring hockey despite these individual performances and not necessarily a logical path to success. Good memories and hopefully, a lesson learned.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2008, 10:42 AM
chosen

No one knows what this season will bring but people who don't understand just how important Jagr was to this team's successes over the last few years don't really have much of a clue as to the game of hockey.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2008, 07:28 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
I have to agree with them. As you guys may have noticed I am very down on this off-season. Same old Glen Sather

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2008, 08:28 PM
eco's bones

Losing Jagr is going to hurt. We can all hope that other players pick up some of the scoring slack but he was a beast for other teams to play against--some other (un)lucky soul is going to have to battle with the likes of Colin White, Brendan Witt, Chris Phillips, Mike Komisarek, Zdeno Chara etc. etc. Good luck to whoever that is.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2008, 08:33 PM
Fletch

That is the key, eco's...

Hopefully they can construct a line that will compete against top lines effectively. I can't remember, but it wasn't always Gomez in Jersey going against top lines. Zherdev didn't do it on a regular basis. Neither did Drury. Naslund did, but his best years seemed to be with Bert and Bert created space for him. Hopefully a skilled, speedy line can be made to go against those top pairings, and I also hope their 'game' doesn't get too predicatble since good coaches will know how to adjust to speed games.