HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Eagles 2008

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-15-2008, 08:03 AM
  #1
Kambo
 
Kambo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pennsauken, NJ
Country: Ireland
Posts: 5,357
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Philadelphia Eagles 2008

I hadn't seen a thread for them yet, so here ya go.

So I just found out that they actually came back for the win last night. I watched until half time and then gave up. Figures.

Kambo is offline  
Old
08-15-2008, 08:14 AM
  #2
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post
I hadn't seen a thread for them yet, so here ya go.

So I just found out that they actually came back for the win last night. I watched until half time and then gave up. Figures.
I watched the first drive, then decided I had better things to do.

IrishSniper87 is offline  
Old
08-15-2008, 08:49 AM
  #3
Amateur Hour
Registered User
 
Amateur Hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Negadelphia
Posts: 6,507
vCash: 500
The backups scored 24 points in the last 6 minutes of the game.

DeSean Jackson looks and sounds like the real deal. We all knew he'd drastically improve the return game, but fact that a rookie WR is getting so much time with the first team offense -- on an Andy Reid-coached team -- really tells you something about what the coaches think of this kid. McNabb looks his way a lot, too. I still have modest expectations for Jackson and realize this is only preseason, but his play has been encouraging, nonetheless. I'm excited to see how he progresses over the course of the season.

Another player to keep a close eye on is Stewart Bradley. I really liked him coming out of Nebraska in the 2007 draft and was thrilled that the Eagles picked him. I actually expected him to be part of the starting LB corps by mid-season last year.

Amateur Hour is offline  
Old
08-15-2008, 10:21 AM
  #4
mm6492
Registered User
 
mm6492's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,519
vCash: 500
The 4th quarter was pretty entertaining

Tony Hunt- had a really nice run to give us the lead. Read some blocks well and broke 1 tackle. Hopefully he can continue to progress

DeSean Jackson- for being a rookie in such a complicated offense, he looks great. He is not afraid of going over the middle and he makes peopel miss. His punt returns have not been great but thats more of an issue of blocking and him reading those blocks

Kevin Kolb- looked shaky in the first game but very strong after that. He looked to DeSean Jackson whenever he was in trouble. He willl need another year while he learns how to set up a scrren and make faster decisions

Lorenzo Booker- has looked to be a difference maker this year. When he and Westy are on teh feild at the same time, it is nearly impossible to cover both. He is exatly like Westbrook except not as good (same skillset)


thats my analysis

mm6492 is offline  
Old
08-15-2008, 10:37 AM
  #5
ForsbergIsOdin
Registered User
 
ForsbergIsOdin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Asgaard
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,391
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
I actually really excited for DeSean Jackson as well. I think he is just what this team needs. Hopefully he can turn into that kind of receiver. If not, i think he can be a great #3 guy and be the kick and punt returner.

Also, my gut says this is McNabbs last year. You KNOW hes gonna get hurt, and then Kolb is gonna come in and rip it up.

Also, Stewart Bradley is the real deal

ForsbergIsOdin is offline  
Old
08-15-2008, 10:48 AM
  #6
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Not excited at all about this team anymore....another year with the same regime and same quarterback that hasnt been able to get it done in 10 years. Any other team in professional sports, not just football, (outside of maybe the Steelers) and there would have been a new coach and or general manager brought in at some point.

When are they going to recognize that this group is not going to get it done...

mikedifr is offline  
Old
08-15-2008, 10:48 AM
  #7
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
I actually really excited for DeSean Jackson as well. I think he is just what this team needs. Hopefully he can turn into that kind of receiver. If not, i think he can be a great #3 guy and be the kick and punt returner.

Also, my gut says this is McNabbs last year.
You KNOW hes gonna get hurt, and then Kolb is gonna come in and rip it up.

Also, Stewart Bradley is the real deal
God I hope so....

mikedifr is offline  
Old
08-15-2008, 10:52 AM
  #8
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 116,010
vCash: 540
Booker was decent in college, he couldn't make a 1-15 team, but it is only his second year.

__________________
Philadelphia's Real Alternative
(ynotradio.net)

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline  
Old
08-15-2008, 11:25 AM
  #9
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Haha mikedifr's McNabb hate is back! I still don't see why, the one year he had a decent receiving corps he played at a Pro Bowl level. Also, he played all of last year injured, so I'll give him the pass there.

I'm excited for DeSean Jackson, but also nervous because eventually he's going to get absolutely lit up going across the middle, he's just so small. So will he continue to run routes there or start getting nervous?

FlyHigh is offline  
Old
08-15-2008, 11:25 AM
  #10
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
The 4th quarter was pretty entertaining

Tony Hunt- had a really nice run to give us the lead. Read some blocks well and broke 1 tackle. Hopefully he can continue to progress

DeSean Jackson- for being a rookie in such a complicated offense, he looks great. He is not afraid of going over the middle and he makes peopel miss. His punt returns have not been great but thats more of an issue of blocking and him reading those blocks

Kevin Kolb- looked shaky in the first game but very strong after that. He looked to DeSean Jackson whenever he was in trouble. He willl need another year while he learns how to set up a scrren and make faster decisions

Lorenzo Booker- has looked to be a difference maker this year. When he and Westy are on teh feild at the same time, it is nearly impossible to cover both. He is exatly like Westbrook except not as good (same skillset)


thats my analysis
Didnt they keep Buck as well? Is there a reason we have so many running backs when we dont run the ball? Westbrook, Buck, Hunt, Booker

mikedifr is offline  
Old
08-15-2008, 11:38 AM
  #11
mm6492
Registered User
 
mm6492's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Didnt they keep Buck as well? Is there a reason we have so many running backs when we dont run the ball? Westbrook, Buck, Hunt, Booker
Booker is going to able to used as much more then a RB. he can line up in slot, go in in 2 back formations with Westy

Buck averaged nearly 5 yards a carry last year. When healthy he is a great backup. He is a solid guy to have on the bench

Hunt was a 2nd or 3rd round pick. he looked good yesterday and they hope he can be the goaline and redzone back they need.

Alot opf teams in the league carry 4 RB's


Quote:
Booker was decent in college, he couldn't make a 1-15 team, but it is only his second year.
He actually did pretty good last year. When Bill Parcells came in he wanted to build the etam his way. He was a second round pick I think, and teh Eagles really liked him last year. Parcells knew he had Ronnie Brown and Ricky williams so he tried to get a pick for him.

Booker was not a bust at all alst year. many Dolphins fans said that he was a solid player who when he got on the feild he showed he had alot of tealent

mm6492 is offline  
Old
08-15-2008, 11:42 AM
  #12
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Haha mikedifr's McNabb hate is back! I still don't see why, the one year he had a decent receiving corps he played at a Pro Bowl level. Also, he played all of last year injured, so I'll give him the pass there.

I'm excited for DeSean Jackson, but also nervous because eventually he's going to get absolutely lit up going across the middle, he's just so small. So will he continue to run routes there or start getting nervous?
I am not getting into that again, I have proven my point time and time again...When you get a chance take a look at the receiving cores of the super bowl winners of the last 10-15 years...(excluding St Louis, they were never all that great) The QB touches the ball every play, a receiver touches it maybe 7-8 times a game if lucky, who do you think makes the bigger impact on the game??

mikedifr is offline  
Old
08-15-2008, 11:45 AM
  #13
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 116,010
vCash: 540
Hunt probably doesn't make the team.

GKJ is offline  
Old
08-15-2008, 11:51 AM
  #14
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I am not getting into that again, I have proven my point time and time again...When you get a chance take a look at the receiving cores of the super bowl winners of the last 10-15 years...(excluding St Louis, they were never all that great) The QB touches the ball every play, a receiver touches it maybe 7-8 times a game if lucky, who do you think makes the bigger impact on the game??
As ever, you need to contextualize that rationale a bit more. The thing about receivers is that a very good one alters the defense, where as a good or mediocre one won't draw coverage alterations. Similar to the impact of Deion Sanders on a defense...if you have him on one side it frees up the safety to shade the other side of the D and make it tougher to throw everywhere on the field.

Not to mention the more simple point that in the one and done format of the SB...it's not the best indicator of things. Play last years game 10 times and the Pats win 9 of 'em. Same goes for the first Pats SB win.

Giants...Plaxico ain't too bad, especially in the red zone.
Colts...pretty good WR corps, btw.
Steelers...pretty good receivers, if under appreciated.

But, then again, one can just look at the vast difference in scary factor the Eagles offense had when they had TO lining up for them.

Jester is offline  
Old
08-15-2008, 12:01 PM
  #15
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I am not getting into that again, I have proven my point time and time again...When you get a chance take a look at the receiving cores of the super bowl winners of the last 10-15 years...(excluding St Louis, they were never all that great) The QB touches the ball every play, a receiver touches it maybe 7-8 times a game if lucky, who do you think makes the bigger impact on the game??
Whoa are you kidding me? Plax is a Pro Bowl level talent who had a HUGE game for them in the NFL title game. Plus the Giants also rolled out Toomer and Shockey during the regular season and then Steve Smith had some solid games for them in the playoffs.

The Colts had an incredible receiving corps.

The Steelers had Ward, Rande El, Miller, and Cedrick Wilson plus a dominating defense.

The exception I guess would be New England and even they had good, not great receivers along with one of the greatest QBs of all time.

I mean, how the hell does Kevin Curtis, Reggie Brown, and Greg Lewis compare to those receiving corps?

FlyHigh is offline  
Old
08-15-2008, 12:05 PM
  #16
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Whoa are you kidding me? Plax is a Pro Bowl level talent who had a HUGE game for them in the NFL title game. Plus the Giants also rolled out Toomer and Shockey during the regular season and then Steve Smith had some solid games for them in the playoffs.

The Colts had an incredible receiving corps.

The Steelers had Ward, Rande El, Miller, and Cedrick Wilson plus a dominating defense.

The exception I guess would be New England and even they had good, not great receivers along with one of the greatest QBs of all time.

I mean, how the hell does Kevin Curtis, Reggie Brown, and Greg Lewis compare to those receiving corps?
New England has also been hands down the most well coached team in the league on both sides of the ball during their run. They lose Weis and what happens...they struggle a bit and end up going after Randy Moss.

Jester is offline  
Old
08-15-2008, 12:18 PM
  #17
mm6492
Registered User
 
mm6492's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Hunt probably doesn't make the team.
he wil. all 4 RB's will. they want Hunt to take over Bucks role because Buck is a FA next year. The Eagles have carried 4 RB's and this year they all have roles. Hunt will def. make this team

mm6492 is offline  
Old
08-15-2008, 12:47 PM
  #18
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
he wil. all 4 RB's will. they want Hunt to take over Bucks role because Buck is a FA next year. The Eagles have carried 4 RB's and this year they all have roles. Hunt will def. make this team
I hope so.

IrishSniper87 is offline  
Old
08-15-2008, 12:56 PM
  #19
MountainHawk
Registered User
 
MountainHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Salem, MA
Country: Vanuatu
Posts: 12,771
vCash: 500
The McNabb hate is a perfect example of what we are talking about in the Phillies thread. Career 59% Comp percentage, 25,400 yards, 171 TD, only 79 INT, almost 3,000 yards and 24 TD rushing, and only 37 fumbles lost in 108 regular season games over 9 seasons.

He's had a borderline Hall of Fame career, but many Eagles fans can't wait to see his back. It'll be quite a while before the Eagles have a QB as talented as McNabb again.

MountainHawk is offline  
Old
08-15-2008, 12:57 PM
  #20
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
The McNabb hate is a perfect example of what we are talking about in the Phillies thread. Career 59% Comp percentage, 25,400 yards, 171 TD, only 79 INT, almost 3,000 yards and 24 TD rushing, and only 37 fumbles lost in 108 regular season games over 9 seasons.

He's had a borderline Hall of Fame career, but many Eagles fans can't wait to see his back. It'll be quite a while before the Eagles have a QB as talented as McNabb again.
I don't hate McNabb, I hate how he overthrows our recievers. Even better, I hate how we only had 1 good Wide receiver in all the years he has been here.

IrishSniper87 is offline  
Old
08-15-2008, 01:03 PM
  #21
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
The McNabb hate is a perfect example of what we are talking about in the Phillies thread. Career 59% Comp percentage, 25,400 yards, 171 TD, only 79 INT, almost 3,000 yards and 24 TD rushing, and only 37 fumbles lost in 108 regular season games over 9 seasons.

He's had a borderline Hall of Fame career, but many Eagles fans can't wait to see his back. It'll be quite a while before the Eagles have a QB as talented as McNabb again.
He also has one of the highest % of the equivalent to quality starts for a pitcher over the recent past. He's obviously no Manning, but, as a Redskins fan, Eagles fans really wouldn't like the trade off from McNabb to most other QBs.

Jester is offline  
Old
08-15-2008, 01:05 PM
  #22
mm6492
Registered User
 
mm6492's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,519
vCash: 500
He is a great qg if he can stay healthy

mm6492 is offline  
Old
08-15-2008, 01:08 PM
  #23
MountainHawk
Registered User
 
MountainHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Salem, MA
Country: Vanuatu
Posts: 12,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger73549 View Post
I don't hate McNabb, I hate how he overthrows our recievers. Even better, I hate how we only had 1 good Wide receiver in all the years he has been here.
Every QB in the world overthrows his receivers occasionally. McNabb could have a 23-27, 300 yd, 3 TD game, but the fans would be complaining about the easy TD that he overthrew in the 2nd quarter.

McNabb has very rarely been the true problem with this team. More often that not, it's been either bad breakdowns on defense or the lack of commitment to a running game and therefore not being able to run off clock that ends up hurting the Eagles.

MountainHawk is offline  
Old
08-15-2008, 01:13 PM
  #24
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Every QB in the world overthrows his receivers occasionally. McNabb could have a 23-27, 300 yd, 3 TD game, but the fans would be complaining about the easy TD that he overthrew in the 2nd quarter.

McNabb has very rarely been the true problem with this team. More often that not, it's been either bad breakdowns on defense or the lack of commitment to a running game and therefore not being able to run off clock that ends up hurting the Eagles.
Definitely agree there...I also think Andy Reid has a propensity to get badly out coached at times in play calling in big spots. They have a tendency to either get way too passive and timid offensively, or dumbly aggressive at other times (like the game against the Pats last year).

I think Reid is a very good Head Coach, but he should have given up play calling a while back.

Jester is offline  
Old
08-15-2008, 01:59 PM
  #25
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
The one thing I don't get is why Buckhalter isn't used more, I mean, when healthy, the guy is a pretty quality runner.

Last year, he was running the ball well pretty much every time he got it, but he got the ball 62 times last year (less than 4 carries per game) and 17 of those were in the NYG game when Westbrook was out, incidentally, he had 103 yards rushing in that one.

I'm not saying he's a starter, but he should get 8-10 carries per game, the Eagles are really built as a running team right now and it's time that the coaching staff just accepts that, assuming Andrews gets back alright, they have the potential to have a great running game.

FlyHigh is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.