HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shanny rumors persist

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-15-2008, 02:31 PM
  #226
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,929
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
So the club signs players who are all speed and transition based players, only to sign an anchor of a player in Shanahan?

Id consider this offseason a failure if we bring him back.
i would agree with this......

why go through a total overhaul to get faster, younger and more of a transition team only to bring back the one player who looked really really slow in the old system which isnt supposed to be anywhere near as fast-paced as the new one to be put in place of it.......

i would rather have a player like voros in the lineup over a guy like shanahan.....at least voros can get in on the forecheck and brings intensity which this team lacked last season

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2008, 03:26 PM
  #227
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94
 
HeaveHo94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NY NEW YORK
Country: United States
Posts: 2,335
vCash: 500
Shanny 2 The Blues?

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/stl080815.html

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2008, 03:43 PM
  #228
The Thomas J.*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 18,847
vCash: 500
Shanny should have been re-signed last month. Clearly other teams have intrest in him, inculding two of our divsion rivals, who needs the agravation of watching shanny score goal after goal against us this season.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2008, 03:55 PM
  #229
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,954
vCash: 500
Says Flyers and Devils also interested.

Oh well.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2008, 04:06 PM
  #230
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Shanny should have been re-signed last month. Clearly other teams have intrest in him, inculding two of our divsion rivals, who needs the agravation of watching shanny score goal after goal against us this season.
The Rangers sign Redden, Rozsival, and Naslund to some pretty big money contracts.

They acquired Nikolai Zherdev to likely be the winger of the present and future.

2 seasons ago they gave about 14.5 million dollars to 2 centers for long term deals.

The Rangers used their last 3 first round picks on Saguinetti, Del Zotto, and Cherepanov.


It should be clear as day their intentions are to become a fast based transition based team. You take the puck from your zone, quickly transport it through the neutral zone with quick passing, and use the speed to attack the goal. Wham, wham, wham, quick strike offense. Thats what I see. Thats what this team should be, thats what the parts are all completely built for.

If you sign Brendan Shanahan, youre A, making him the captain, B assuredly are playing him on the top 2 lines since he just makes zero sense on the bottom 2, C are stunting the growth of at least 1 kid and D are almost assuredly giving up on another player to create roster space for him.

MAYBE he can bang home his 20 goals, maybe he will win 2 or 3 games because of his shootout ability, but he will 100% absolutely gurantee you slow down 2 very fast wingers because of his inability to keep up.

Can you name even 1 forward not named Colton Orr on this entire team who isnt at least twice as fast as Shanny? People complain about Prucha and his flaws, but they arent as huge and gaping as Shanahan.

He doesnt throw hits, he cant skate, hes never been a good passer, he cant really fight anymore, though he will if he has to.

Shanahan is good for exactly 2 things. His shot, and his leadership. A team that has Drury is in no pressing need for additional leadership. So that just leaves his shot being the only pro he has left going for him.

Im sorry but when you literally build the entire team one way, then have your leader and captain be total incapable of playing that way, you have a serious ****ing problem. This isnt Jaromir Jagr who was definitely playing a different way. At least Jagr could (when he wanted to) completely dismantle a team single handedly. Shanahan is incapable of winning you games by himself.

He would negate all the steps forward this team took this offseason in becoming a TEAM. This would be a monumental mistake.


Dont give me the ******** about taking a lesser role, or whatever. How many of you people were clamoring for Messier to come back at a lesser role? NONE. Why? because you knew it wouldnt work that way. A player of that stature, of that presence DEMANDS a greater role, even if he doesnt say anything, hell even if he says all the right things, when push comes to shove, Renney will look to Shanahan to lead the way, and if his ass is playing on the 3rd or 4th line, then either that line is getting WAY too much ice time, or he will be bumped up to a higher line. Dont fool yourselves people.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2008, 04:17 PM
  #231
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,954
vCash: 500
Inferno

Yep.


HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2008, 05:33 PM
  #232
PromNite
Armed Android
 
PromNite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tampa, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 7,502
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Good call Inferno, exactly what needs to be said.

__________________


Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2008, 06:51 PM
  #233
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,526
vCash: 500
Shannys not signing anywhere until the NHLPA ratify the extention on the CBA that allows for BONUS money to be paid to older players. As of right now that provision has expired and the PA has to ratify an extension or something along those lines.

__________________
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man
I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2008, 06:51 PM
  #234
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,929
vCash: 500
agree with inferno..........again

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2008, 07:06 PM
  #235
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,762
vCash: 500
Yeah, while I love Shanny, the team has to move on.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2008, 07:33 PM
  #236
lbrowne
Registered User
 
lbrowne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 2,138
vCash: 500
Off topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Shanny should have been re-signed last month. Clearly other teams have intrest in him, inculding two of our divsion rivals, who needs the agravation of watching shanny score goal after goal against us this season.
dude where did you get your avatar and is it a print I can get for my rec room?!?!

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2008, 08:45 PM
  #237
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,267
vCash: 500
Completely agree with Inferno on all costs.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2008, 09:22 PM
  #238
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,469
vCash: 500
If Shanny...

was averaging about 14-15 minutes of ice time last season and stayed fresh, perhaps people would have a different opinion of him now. Renney thought he was still 31 years old and played him more minutes than he had gotten in years. In the end, he couldn't handle it and we saw a slow Shanny.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2008, 07:42 AM
  #239
The Thomas J.*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 18,847
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
The Rangers sign Redden, Rozsival, and Naslund to some pretty big money contracts.

They acquired Nikolai Zherdev to likely be the winger of the present and future.

2 seasons ago they gave about 14.5 million dollars to 2 centers for long term deals.

The Rangers used their last 3 first round picks on Saguinetti, Del Zotto, and Cherepanov.


It should be clear as day their intentions are to become a fast based transition based team. You take the puck from your zone, quickly transport it through the neutral zone with quick passing, and use the speed to attack the goal. Wham, wham, wham, quick strike offense. Thats what I see. Thats what this team should be, thats what the parts are all completely built for.

If you sign Brendan Shanahan, youre A, making him the captain, B assuredly are playing him on the top 2 lines since he just makes zero sense on the bottom 2, C are stunting the growth of at least 1 kid and D are almost assuredly giving up on another player to create roster space for him.

MAYBE he can bang home his 20 goals, maybe he will win 2 or 3 games because of his shootout ability, but he will 100% absolutely gurantee you slow down 2 very fast wingers because of his inability to keep up.

Can you name even 1 forward not named Colton Orr on this entire team who isnt at least twice as fast as Shanny? People complain about Prucha and his flaws, but they arent as huge and gaping as Shanahan.

He doesnt throw hits, he cant skate, hes never been a good passer, he cant really fight anymore, though he will if he has to.

Shanahan is good for exactly 2 things. His shot, and his leadership. A team that has Drury is in no pressing need for additional leadership. So that just leaves his shot being the only pro he has left going for him.

Im sorry but when you literally build the entire team one way, then have your leader and captain be total incapable of playing that way, you have a serious ****ing problem. This isnt Jaromir Jagr who was definitely playing a different way. At least Jagr could (when he wanted to) completely dismantle a team single handedly. Shanahan is incapable of winning you games by himself.

He would negate all the steps forward this team took this offseason in becoming a TEAM. This would be a monumental mistake.


Dont give me the ******** about taking a lesser role, or whatever. How many of you people were clamoring for Messier to come back at a lesser role? NONE. Why? because you knew it wouldnt work that way. A player of that stature, of that presence DEMANDS a greater role, even if he doesnt say anything, hell even if he says all the right things, when push comes to shove, Renney will look to Shanahan to lead the way, and if his ass is playing on the 3rd or 4th line, then either that line is getting WAY too much ice time, or he will be bumped up to a higher line. Dont fool yourselves people.

I disagree.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2008, 09:28 AM
  #240
LIRoyals7794
 
LIRoyals7794's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
The Rangers sign Redden, Rozsival, and Naslund to some pretty big money contracts.

They acquired Nikolai Zherdev to likely be the winger of the present and future.

2 seasons ago they gave about 14.5 million dollars to 2 centers for long term deals.

The Rangers used their last 3 first round picks on Saguinetti, Del Zotto, and Cherepanov.


It should be clear as day their intentions are to become a fast based transition based team. You take the puck from your zone, quickly transport it through the neutral zone with quick passing, and use the speed to attack the goal. Wham, wham, wham, quick strike offense. Thats what I see. Thats what this team should be, thats what the parts are all completely built for.

If you sign Brendan Shanahan, youre A, making him the captain, B assuredly are playing him on the top 2 lines since he just makes zero sense on the bottom 2, C are stunting the growth of at least 1 kid and D are almost assuredly giving up on another player to create roster space for him.

MAYBE he can bang home his 20 goals, maybe he will win 2 or 3 games because of his shootout ability, but he will 100% absolutely gurantee you slow down 2 very fast wingers because of his inability to keep up.

Can you name even 1 forward not named Colton Orr on this entire team who isnt at least twice as fast as Shanny? People complain about Prucha and his flaws, but they arent as huge and gaping as Shanahan.

He doesnt throw hits, he cant skate, hes never been a good passer, he cant really fight anymore, though he will if he has to.

Shanahan is good for exactly 2 things. His shot, and his leadership. A team that has Drury is in no pressing need for additional leadership. So that just leaves his shot being the only pro he has left going for him.

Im sorry but when you literally build the entire team one way, then have your leader and captain be total incapable of playing that way, you have a serious ****ing problem. This isnt Jaromir Jagr who was definitely playing a different way. At least Jagr could (when he wanted to) completely dismantle a team single handedly. Shanahan is incapable of winning you games by himself.

He would negate all the steps forward this team took this offseason in becoming a TEAM. This would be a monumental mistake.


Dont give me the ******** about taking a lesser role, or whatever. How many of you people were clamoring for Messier to come back at a lesser role? NONE. Why? because you knew it wouldnt work that way. A player of that stature, of that presence DEMANDS a greater role, even if he doesnt say anything, hell even if he says all the right things, when push comes to shove, Renney will look to Shanahan to lead the way, and if his ass is playing on the 3rd or 4th line, then either that line is getting WAY too much ice time, or he will be bumped up to a higher line. Dont fool yourselves people.
I also diagree with most of this. I think we should sign Shanahan.


Last edited by LIRoyals7794: 08-16-2008 at 09:37 AM.
LIRoyals7794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2008, 09:39 AM
  #241
squishy
Registered User
 
squishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
The Rangers sign Redden, Rozsival, and Naslund to some pretty big money contracts.

They acquired Nikolai Zherdev to likely be the winger of the present and future.

2 seasons ago they gave about 14.5 million dollars to 2 centers for long term deals.

The Rangers used their last 3 first round picks on Saguinetti, Del Zotto, and Cherepanov.


It should be clear as day their intentions are to become a fast based transition based team. You take the puck from your zone, quickly transport it through the neutral zone with quick passing, and use the speed to attack the goal. Wham, wham, wham, quick strike offense. Thats what I see. Thats what this team should be, thats what the parts are all completely built for.

If you sign Brendan Shanahan, youre A, making him the captain, B assuredly are playing him on the top 2 lines since he just makes zero sense on the bottom 2, C are stunting the growth of at least 1 kid and D are almost assuredly giving up on another player to create roster space for him.

MAYBE he can bang home his 20 goals, maybe he will win 2 or 3 games because of his shootout ability, but he will 100% absolutely gurantee you slow down 2 very fast wingers because of his inability to keep up.

Can you name even 1 forward not named Colton Orr on this entire team who isnt at least twice as fast as Shanny? People complain about Prucha and his flaws, but they arent as huge and gaping as Shanahan.

He doesnt throw hits, he cant skate, hes never been a good passer, he cant really fight anymore, though he will if he has to.

Shanahan is good for exactly 2 things. His shot, and his leadership. A team that has Drury is in no pressing need for additional leadership. So that just leaves his shot being the only pro he has left going for him.

Im sorry but when you literally build the entire team one way, then have your leader and captain be total incapable of playing that way, you have a serious ****ing problem. This isnt Jaromir Jagr who was definitely playing a different way. At least Jagr could (when he wanted to) completely dismantle a team single handedly. Shanahan is incapable of winning you games by himself.

He would negate all the steps forward this team took this offseason in becoming a TEAM. This would be a monumental mistake.


Dont give me the ******** about taking a lesser role, or whatever. How many of you people were clamoring for Messier to come back at a lesser role? NONE. Why? because you knew it wouldnt work that way. A player of that stature, of that presence DEMANDS a greater role, even if he doesnt say anything, hell even if he says all the right things, when push comes to shove, Renney will look to Shanahan to lead the way, and if his ass is playing on the 3rd or 4th line, then either that line is getting WAY too much ice time, or he will be bumped up to a higher line. Dont fool yourselves people.
Very well said, Inferno.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2008, 11:02 AM
  #242
tdawg56
 
tdawg56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 171
vCash: 500
Shanny brings the team down IMO. His presence alone causes him to get unwarrented ice time. In the last two year he was invisible against faster teams in the playoffs. The sabres and pens skated around him like he was a cone. He also brought the PP down too, he just sits in the slot waiting for a one timer and everyone knew it. Listen he was a great player but it is time to move on.

tdawg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2008, 10:37 PM
  #243
Smashley
Registered User
 
Smashley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rawlbany, NY
Country: Latvia
Posts: 2,751
vCash: 500
Shanny to pens? Found this on facebook, never seen this blog before so not sure how credible it is...


http://www.theinsideronpittsburghsports.com/

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2008, 10:39 PM
  #244
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashley View Post
Shanny to pens? Found this on facebook, never seen this blog before so not sure how credible it is...


http://www.theinsideronpittsburghsports.com/
It's been a pretty reliable site all summer.

Although I'm not surprised, he's rumored for every team in the Atlantic basically and also the St. Louis Blues. However, he still is only looking to sign with the Rangers until Sather says go away or climb aboard.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 01:36 AM
  #245
The Thomas J.*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 18,847
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashley View Post
Shanny to pens? Found this on facebook, never seen this blog before so not sure how credible it is...


http://www.theinsideronpittsburghsports.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Staal View Post
It's been a pretty reliable site all summer.

Although I'm not surprised, he's rumored for every team in the Atlantic basically and also the St. Louis Blues. However, he still is only looking to sign with the Rangers until Sather says go away or climb aboard.

I find it amazing that just about every other team in the Atlantic & a couple in the west can find a positive role for Shanny & still view him as a reliable player, yet mostly everyone on this board would rather let him walk.

All Shanny want's is to play hockey for the Rangers & is willing to take a considerable amount of money less, for the 2nd year in a row. We all cried over losing Jagr & Avery, they had offers on the table from the Rangers & choose the money grab else where.

So what if Shanny isn't the player he was 3 or 5 years ago, he was still the 3rd leading goal scorer on the team with 20, Jagr had 25 & we all fell over ourselves to try & re-sign Jagr. Shanny still has some Hockey left in him & too think that he brings nothing to the table or will hinder a younger unproven player from a spot on the team is just not right. I would take a guy like Shanny on this team now @ 39, his strong Character, desire & leadership will translate to goals & wins on the ice.

I'm willing to bet that Shanny doesn't need the Captaincy either, his voice in the Locker room is just as effective wether he is wearing a letter on his jersey or not.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 01:49 AM
  #246
NY Ranger86
Registered User
 
NY Ranger86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ryan = Cup
Posts: 921
vCash: 500
i think we should resign him.. limited role, use him on the PP. idk.

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 02:15 AM
  #247
Unk
 
Unk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In A Better Place
Country: Liechtenstein
Posts: 698
vCash: 500
The problem is that if Shanny were re-signed for a limited role, he's gonna be put back in the top 2 lines before too long. Renney is gonna choose Shanny over Prucha for that final winger spot. Once things get shakey (and that's how the season is going to start) Renney is gonna give him PP time and top-6 minutes and all that jazz... Even if Renney doesn't give him big minutes, there's a good chance he's not gonna re-gain his legs or even just not continue slowing down.

What he's gone with the Rangers was alright, and his career was great, but you don't sign a 39 year old just because he's a future HoFer. You keep and add guys based off what you think they can do in the future (next season) not what they did in the past. Guys like Redden and Naslund you can hope those 'declines' were little bumps in the road for now, but with Shanny I'm afraid his age has just caught up to him.

Thanks for your time in New York Shanny, but it's over.


Last edited by Unk: 08-17-2008 at 02:20 AM.
Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 08:13 AM
  #248
Smashley
Registered User
 
Smashley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rawlbany, NY
Country: Latvia
Posts: 2,751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
I find it amazing that just about every other team in the Atlantic & a couple in the west can find a positive role for Shanny & still view him as a reliable player, yet mostly everyone on this board would rather let him walk.

All Shanny want's is to play hockey for the Rangers & is willing to take a considerable amount of money less, for the 2nd year in a row. We all cried over losing Jagr & Avery, they had offers on the table from the Rangers & choose the money grab else where.

So what if Shanny isn't the player he was 3 or 5 years ago, he was still the 3rd leading goal scorer on the team with 20, Jagr had 25 & we all fell over ourselves to try & re-sign Jagr. Shanny still has some Hockey left in him & too think that he brings nothing to the table or will hinder a younger unproven player from a spot on the team is just not right. I would take a guy like Shanny on this team now @ 39, his strong Character, desire & leadership will translate to goals & wins on the ice.

I'm willing to bet that Shanny doesn't need the Captaincy either, his voice in the Locker room is just as effective wether he is wearing a letter on his jersey or not.
For the record I'd like to see Shanny back. And I agree with you on the captaincy.

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 11:55 AM
  #249
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,929
vCash: 500
if the sundin rumors are true shanahan has no shot onthis team as sundin will make the rangers go over the cap.....plus with sundin in the locker room and players like redden, naslund, gomez, drury and sundin possibly do you say the rangers have enough solid leadership.....i know the team is young but we all saw and read articles on how players like staal, girardi, dubinsky, callahan are all leaders and are vocal....if shanahan hadnt looked so bad at the end of the season i would say okay, third liner is good for him......but he was getting skated around and he never forechecked......he just floated around......not what i want on the third line(who is supposed to bring energy and offense)....

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 02:09 PM
  #250
crazyforhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,581
vCash: 500
Shanahan is like Gary Roberts,that key vetern guy you want for the playoffs.Skill wise better than Roberts.

But I agree NYR might be stepping back signing Shanahan.Myself I stopped devaluing Shanahan as he almost always steps up and produces.

crazyforhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.