HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Everything Mats Sundin Thread

Old
08-16-2008, 02:31 PM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
if sundin will take a naslund like deal for about 4 million he would be a welcomed addition....all that would need to be done is prucha and rissmiller traded/waived and sundin to take some bonuses like shanahan

drury-gomez-zherdev
naslund-sundin-dawes
callahan-dubinsky-sjostrom
voros-betts-orr

i see nothing wrong with that lineup.....with prucha and rissmillers salary it adds up to 2.6 million dollars to be put towards sundin plus 1.4 in bonuses thats 4 million......

obviously the players can and will be moved around, but it is possible...as long as sather doesnt get rid of the future of the team(dubi, dawes, staal, girardi) to make room

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2008, 02:34 PM
RinkOnEStreet

I don't believe that waiving or trading Rissmiller/Voros is an option in the effort to cut salary, as it would impede our ability to sign free agents down the road. Nobody will want to sign here if they believe there is a chance you may be unemployed two months later.

RinkOnEStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2008, 02:39 PM
TheHotRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkOnEStreet View Post
I don't believe that waiving or trading Rissmiller/Voros is an option in the effort to cut salary, as it would impede our ability to sign free agents down the road. Nobody will want to sign here if they believe there is a chance you may be unemployed two months later.

one way contract is a one way contract and a million dollars is a million dollars. the dollar is the same in hartford as it is in new york........or nay other nhl town for that matter.

who said anything about unemployment?

cba renewal for next year + trading prucha + waiving riss or voros= enough to give usndin a base of ~3 mil plus 2-3 more in bonuses.

sounds doable

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2008, 02:44 PM
NYR Viper

but if rissmiller doesnt win a spot then he doesnt win a spot.....there is nothing about competition that makes other players not want to come to NY....although trading him would be a bad idea......

also, if the rangers have pock on the roster they dont need a back-up forward and defenseman, they could just carry him on most nights as he can play both which would give him more ice time and would save at least another .5 million over the course of the season like the rangers did last year with struds

Old
08-16-2008, 02:48 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkOnEStreet View Post
People always bring this up, quite simply it's not true.. at least not here, one of the most desirable cities in all of sports.

When Ilya Kovalchuk is a UFA he's not going to turn down a huge free agent contract from NY just because a few years ago the Rangers waived Patrick Freaking Rissmiller after signing him.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2008, 02:51 PM
RinkOnEStreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
People always bring this up, quite simply it's not true.. at least not here.

When Ilya Kovalchuk is a UFA he's not going to turn down a huge free agent contract from NY just because a few years ago the Rangers waived Patrick Freaking Rissmiller after signing him.
No, of course not. However are guys who can contribute on the 3rd and 4th lines going to shy away? I believe so.

RinkOnEStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2008, 02:54 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
People always bring this up, quite simply it's not true.. at least not here, one of the most desirable cities in all of sports.

i know what you are saying, but overall it is extremely unprofessional for an organization to show it made a large mistake and when they say they want you, it doesnt mean anything.....many people will look and say that the rangers didnt have any sort of real plan and they just throw things together if they waive someone they just signed

Old
08-16-2008, 03:10 PM
geisenNYR

Sundin for cheap?

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16500

According to Eklund, it's possible that Sundin could sign with the Rangers for as little 2 MILLION!!!!!

He has said that the money isn't the issuse (otherwise he probably would have already signed in Vancouver).

As much as I would love for this to happen, I find it hard to believe.
1. It's Eklund, he's never right.
2. This type of move is unheard of in pro sports.

However, if this does indeed happen, I would have all the respect in the world for Sundin for passing over a lot of money and playing for a chance at a championship, and signing with a team he wants to.

geisenNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2008, 03:14 PM
noobman

I don't think there's any chance of Sundin signing for $2 million after being offered $10 million from Vancouver.

In fact, I don't see Sundin signing for any less than $6.5 million... though I'd realistically expect him to make between $7 and $7.5 million.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2008, 03:16 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by geisenNYR View Post
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16500

According to Eklund, it's possible that Sundin could sign with the Rangers for as little 2 MILLION!!!!!

He has said that the money isn't the issuse (otherwise he probably would have already signed in Vancouver).

As much as I would love for this to happen, I find it hard to believe.
1. It's Eklund, he's never right.
2. This type of move is unheard of in pro sports.

However, if this does indeed happen, I would have all the respect in the world for Sundin for passing over a lot of money and playing for a chance at a championship, and signing with a team he wants to.
Paul Kariya did it not so long ago when he signed a one-year deal in Colorado so he could play with his friend Teemu Selanne. Granted, that worked out horribly, but that's besides the point.

Admittedly, off the top of my head I can't think of any others, but I'm sure there are some.

Don't forget Sundin's stature in his homeland. He's a big star, and supposedly, he knows how to handle his money. He probably intelligently invested and saved his career earnings, while making quite a chunk of change on the side through endorsements and things of that nature.

If the guy thinks he has more than enough money, maybe he just wants to experience life in NYC. Any fan of this team, or resident of this city, should appreciate just how people feel about it. Bottom line, Sundin seems like the type of guy who wants to go where his heart takes him.

Last edited by NYR Sting: 08-16-2008 at 03:22 PM.
NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2008, 04:00 PM
beastly115

An over-the-hill vet signing with the NYR for cheap? Hahahah! Shanny wouldn't even sign for cheap, there's ZERO chance Sundin will!

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2008, 04:10 PM
D713B

Shanny hasn't been offered a contract yet this off-season. Last year he did take a "discount" as he played for $2.5 plus incentives.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2008, 04:12 PM
Twist and Shout

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
An over-the-hill vet signing with the NYR for cheap?
Except he's not over-the-hill ...

Twist and Shout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2008, 04:43 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post
Shanny hasn't been offered a contract yet this off-season. Last year he did take a "discount" as he played for $2.5 plus incentives.
weren't those incentives like another $2.5 million? I wouldn't consider $5M a "discount." The incentives/bonuses are just cap manipulation but 5 is 5.

Sundin for 2M would be insane. I find it hard to believe we wouldn't first clear up some cap (and roster) space to get him a reasonable discounted amount like $4-5M.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2008, 05:15 PM
geisenNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
An over-the-hill vet signing with the NYR for cheap? Hahahah! Shanny wouldn't even sign for cheap, there's ZERO chance Sundin will!
Sundin can still play. He is still capable of putting up 80 point seasons, but imagine what he could do to countryman Markus Naslund. He could turn Naslund back into a 40 goal scorer.

geisenNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2008, 05:25 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Sundin can still play. He is still capable of putting up 80 point seasons, but imagine what he could do to countryman Markus Naslund. He could turn Naslund back into a 40 goal scorer.
Excellent point. Naslund's most successful seasons came playing with a big body in Bertuzzi who created space for him. Bodies don't come much bigger than Sundin's...

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2008, 05:32 PM
McMonster

I'm still not even sure if I want Sundin at all

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2008, 05:36 PM
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Paul Kariya did it not so long ago when he signed a one-year deal in Colorado so he could play with his friend Teemu Selanne. Granted, that worked out horribly, but that's besides the point.

Admittedly, off the top of my head I can't think of any others, but I'm sure there are some.

Don't forget Sundin's stature in his homeland. He's a big star, and supposedly, he knows how to handle his money. He probably intelligently invested and saved his career earnings, while making quite a chunk of change on the side through endorsements and things of that nature.

If the guy thinks he has more than enough money, maybe he just wants to experience life in NYC. Any fan of this team, or resident of this city, should appreciate just how people feel about it. Bottom line, Sundin seems like the type of guy who wants to go where his heart takes him.
A little OT but does anybody know why exactly it didn't work out as well as it looked on paper?

raygunpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2008, 05:44 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

theres some huge differences between Shanny and Sundin.

Sundin can score by himself. He doesnt need anyone to carry the puck in for him, he doesnt need to be left alone for a one timer. he can do it himself. Sundin also can skate as well as he always has. Hes more than capable of keeping up with the speed game. Not Gomez or Zherdev fast of course, but certainly fast enough to keep up with this style of play. Sundin can also play the PP, and the PK if need be. Sundin is a very different player than Shanny imho.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2008, 05:56 PM
Unk

Although I wasn't a big fan of this Sundin idea for awhile, if he's offering a cheap deal for 1-2 years I might be interested in some speculation for the hell of it. It'd potentially allow the team to rid itself of Drury's insane contract (or does he have some kind of NMC?) and a one-two punch of Gomez-Sundin for 1-2 years wouldn't be bad, and with the glut of centers this team has for now and the future (Dubinsky, Anisimov, etc.) there won't be a blockage in opening or any players being shuffled out of position to make the rosters work out.

But eh, it's not happening anyway, and things might be better that way...

Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2008, 05:56 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygunpk View Post
A little OT but does anybody know why exactly it didn't work out as well as it looked on paper?
Well, it was a combination of factors that led to the Avs' failure that year:

(1) Granato's inexperience and incompetence with regards to coaching and repeatedly burying Selanne on the third/fourth lines
(2) Selanne's injured knee that he didn't operate on until after his season with the Avs as well as other injuries to other key players (Forsberg, Kariya).
(3) Pierre's Lacroix insane desire to stack the team with no regards to chemistry. The Avs roster that year read like an all-star team more than a real hockey team: Sakic, Forsberg, Hejduk, Tanguay, Selanne, Kariya, Blake, Liles, Foote, Barnaby, Gratton, Konowalchuk, etc.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2008, 06:01 PM
eco's bones

I would be excited to see Sundin in a Rangers jersey--which is not to say that we can give him big money or a long term deal--we obviously are very cash strapped at this point. Sundin hasn't really declined much at all for all the years he's played and he's still a horse. A big, strong guy who is hard to handle. IMO he's a better player (maybe not by next year) than any forward we have on our current roster. Drury goes to the wing and we'd have Gomez and two big strong centermen in Sundin and Dubinsky. The Rangers then would look more like a legit playoff team to me.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2008, 06:01 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONACOBLUE View Post
(3) Pierre's Lacroix insane desire to stack the team with no regards to chemistry. The Avs roster that year read like an all-star team more than a real hockey team: Sakic, Forsberg, Hejduk, Tanguay, Selanne, Kariya, Blake, Liles, Foote, Barnaby, Gratton, Konowalchuk, etc.
Sakic, Forsberg, Hejduk, Tanguay, Liles, and Foote were all lifelong Avs. Barnaby and Gratton were nowhere near all-stars, similar thing with Konowalchuk.

That's not a really good point using the players you picked out.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2008, 06:09 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I would be excited to see Sundin in a Rangers jersey--which is not to say that we can give him big money or a long term deal--we obviously are very cash strapped at this point. Sundin hasn't really declined much at all for all the years he's played and he's still a horse. A big, strong guy who is hard to handle. IMO he's a better player (maybe not by next year) than any forward we have on our current roster. Drury goes to the wing and we'd have Gomez and two big strong centermen in Sundin and Dubinsky. The Rangers then would look more like a legit playoff team to me.
Agreed. With Sundin the Rangers are a much stronger team.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2008, 06:47 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Here's why if the Rangers could somehow get Sundin in this kind of situation, it would be such an amazing boon:

Mats Sundin is, at this point in time, better than any player on the Rangers, other than Henrik Lundqvist. He would certainly be our best forward.

Sure, I hope Zherdev can fulfill his potential and become a breakout star, but right now, he's not there yet and Naslund is way past his prime. I'll take 37-year-old Sundin over Scott Gomez, easily. I wish we could replace Gomez's fat, lengthy contract with a year or two of Sundin at the same price. That would be the next best thing.

Mats Sundin would be our best forward, and if we can get him at $2, $3, or even $4 million, that would be an incredible move, even if it meant trading Prucha and some others.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote