HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Everything Mats Sundin Thread

Old
08-17-2008, 12:51 PM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
the problem with the team as it is is that the rangers have a glut of 3rd and 4th liners....and still had a spot open on the top 2 lines for one of them to overachieve.....with sundin the top 6 is solidified but that spot hurts by making the glut of lower lines even more filled....plain and simple, there needs to be a trade

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 01:51 PM
RinkOnEStreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
the problem with the team as it is is that the rangers have a glut of 3rd and 4th liners....and still had a spot open on the top 2 lines for one of them to overachieve.....with sundin the top 6 is solidified but that spot hurts by making the glut of lower lines even more filled....plain and simple, there needs to be a trade
I think we all agree that Prucha is gone if Sundin comes to NY. That would bump up either Dawes/Callahan/Sjostrom to the 2nd line.

RinkOnEStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 01:57 PM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Could be in play is the key. There's no guarantee. Saving cap space for something that more than likely will never come is a recipe for disaster, imo.

Further, struggling to succeed while you are saving cap space doesn't exactly entice players to want to join your team through free agency.

That's exactly my point. Very well said.

Anyway, if Kovalchuk becomes available, that's a move you make, and you worry about the cap ramifications afterward. I mean, do you really have any doubt that if Sather had the chance to acquire Kovalchuk, even if he is right up against the cap, that he wouldn't do it..? Of course he would, and then he'd move out salary afterward. Drury is the only guy that can't be moved at all, and he's only on the books for four more years. Naslund is a non-issue, two years at $4mil per, that's nothing. Gomez is limited to three teams he names, Redden is also limited, and I doubt Rozsival has any kind of clause. So really, what's the problem? Would you rather be "stuck in mediocrity" as you put it, or stuck in the gutter because you waited on players to become available and they never did, so you ended up with nothing at all..?

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 03:25 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Brooks talks about trading Rosival now to make room for Sundin, although Rosi is about $1 million over paid his contract isn't the prolbem, the Vooroos & rissmiller signings mad little sense to me, did we really need both these guys? The guy who never should have been signed was Redden. That contract will haunt us for years to come.
Wrong...if the Rangers don't sign Redden, there's no trade for Zherdev...Sather doesn't have the depth to deal Tyutin. Not too hard to understand.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 03:36 PM
beezer345

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Wrong...if the Rangers don't sign Redden, there's no trade for Zherdev...Sather doesn't have the depth to deal Tyutin. Not too hard to understand.
not sure how you can flat out say he is wrong...i'm not saying you are wrong either but i think most of the league was laughing at the rangers for signing redden to that contract. who knows about the zherdev deal? i love his skills but that doesn't necessarily mean he will become a good NHL player.

beezer345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 03:37 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

So we have about 2 million in cap space right now? If we really want Sundin, I don't see what the big problem is. Sure, it's gonna be tight but if Sather can deal Prucha that number goes up to 3.6 million.

3.6 million for a base salary is pretty good change to work with when you can exceed the cap for some time, and even tack on some bonuses.

How much in bonuses can exceed the cap?

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 03:40 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
How much in bonuses can exceed the cap?
Zero. that's no longer allowed because of no CBA set for next year.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 03:47 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezer345 View Post
not sure how you can flat out say he is wrong...i'm not saying you are wrong either but i think most of the league was laughing at the rangers for signing redden to that contract. who knows about the zherdev deal? i love his skills but that doesn't necessarily mean he will become a good NHL player.
He's already a good NHL player. The question is does he fulfill his potential, which is an elite-type forward.

Old
08-17-2008, 04:03 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezer345 View Post
thats why San Jose was going after him right? and Zherdev already notched 25+ goals in a season while playing with horendous teamates.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 04:11 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
thats why San Jose was going after him right? and Zherdev already notched 25+ goals in a season while playing with horendous teamates.

As well as Dallas and Columbus.

Old
08-17-2008, 04:17 PM
ThirdEye

I'm kind of late to the party, but hasn't Sundin's agent denied rumors that he wants to play here (per TSN)?

That said, Sundin really needs to go away.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 04:19 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
I'm kind of late to the party, but hasn't Sundin's agent denied rumors that he wants to play here (per TSN)?

agreed, i just read on TSN, and i got a sigh of relief.

Old
08-17-2008, 04:48 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post

No he said there hasn't been any increase with convo with the Rangers and he is still talking to the other five teams. Now who knows how much he has been talking to the Rangers to say there hasn't been an "increase". Reading his agents words he doesn't really give straight up answers, rather answers that kinda lead you to believe things without really saying it. I think he danced around the whole thing if ya read the quotes and the only new info he gave was that the Flyers are one of the Eastern teams. If they Flyers get him I won't be happy.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 04:48 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
agreed, i just read on TSN, and i got a sigh of relief.
Why he never denied the Ranges were in it? Rangers are very much in it.

Old
08-17-2008, 04:51 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
His agent is just saying that he's had equal talks with all 6 teams interested.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 04:54 PM
Radek27

This is precisely the fallacy I just referred to. What "great" player would you expect to acquire? What "great" player would their current team give up? What "great" player will ever reach free agency?

Hossa
Sundin
Gretzky
Forseberg
Jagr

just off the top of my head.........all great players (one the greatest of all time).....all hit free agency. Two of them played here one still might.

Old
08-17-2008, 05:04 PM
Rover*

Nice...you guys now have an everything sundin thread just like the habs and canucks! Welcome to the party!

Rover* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 05:29 PM
GarretJoseph*

He must really really want to play for the Rangers if he's going to take as little as 1.5-2.5 per. Good for him if he does. Good to see he would do this because of the love of the game, not the money.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 05:36 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post
Nice...you guys now have an everything sundin thread just like the habs and canucks! Welcome to the party!
haha, YAY!, we joined the war of Sundin.....

Old
08-17-2008, 05:56 PM
IfYouCantEtemJoinEm
so hot right now

vCash: 983
Naslund - Sundin - Zherdev
Dawes - Gomez - Drury
Sjostrom - Dubinsky - Callahan
Voros - Betts - Fritsche

Depth forwards:

Prucha
Rissmiller

Orr
Korpedo
Moore
Byers

That's a HELL of a lot of depth. Of course Prucha would most likely be moved if Sundin was signed. Maybe Rissmiller as well since he is an UFA next year anyway. That would clear up an extra 2.6 in cap space and allow Slats to sign Sundin for around 4.5 max. That would be a $1 million pay-cut from his salary last year which was $5.5 million, which is reasonable. Who knows, it could be possible, and his presence on the first line could turn this team into a real contender....all without sacrificing the youth and future of the team.

IfYouCantEtemJoinEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 06:12 PM
Rocinante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
If they Flyers get him I won't be happy.
I'm happy with the team as is, but the above quote speaks for me as well.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 06:34 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post

That makes NO sense at all, if anything we are one of the deepest teams in the leauge with defensemen. If Redden isn't signed, Toots is still tradable, & Sanguenetti most likely makes the team out of trading camp.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 06:47 PM
azrok22

vCash: 3743
Quote:
Toots is still tradable, & Sanguenetti most likely makes the team out of trading camp.
I take it you didn't watch Sanguinetti in Hartford.

He is NOT NHL ready at the start of the season. Maybe he only needs half a season and he's ready for the NHL this year, but I can unequivocally state, barring huge progress over the summer, he needs AHL seasoning.

You don't trade Tyutin for Zherdev without having already signed Redden (or someone else).

EDIT: To clarify, my belief is that if you want Sanguinetti to develop into an top-4 offensive defenseman in the NHL (which I definitely believe he is capable of), he needs further development in Hartford.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 07:20 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

i wouldnt want to get rid of our dman for sundin, but if we can get a player that is par on rozy's level or a prospect and get sundin then lets get that cup now!

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 07:30 PM
Radek27

The question is would Corey Potter and Tomas Pock look out of place on the team as 6th and 7th dmen? I think not, actually those are the perfect roles for them.