HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Training Camp Lineups

Old
08-18-2008, 02:09 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
naslund-gomez-dawes
fritsche-drury-zherdev
callahan-dubinsky-sjostrom
voros-betts-rissmiller/orr

redden-staal
rozsival-girardi
mara-kalinin
love these!
and
no prucha!

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 02:18 PM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:
Originally Posted by albynomonk View Post
Betts is gone. Fritsche is younger and more talented.
WHAT???!!! Blair Betts is everything you want in a 4th line center. He's GREAT on draws, blocks every shot he sees, kills penalties, costs nothing and does everything he can to help his team win. And don't blame a guy who was paired with Hollweg and Orr for not scoring. How many points do you see Fritsche scoring with those two losers? Betts has a little skill and would have chipped in more if he wasn't surrounded by hands of stone. This isn't fantasy hockey, stop it. Seriously, stop it.

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 02:25 PM
Davisian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
guys, if you don't like his post, skip it...no need to make drama out of a post on a internet board.....

That's pretty much the point of message boards. Drama

Or at least some entertainment.

And its just plain funny to see some asshat pretending he's got his finger on the pulse of upper management and is so cavalier about sharing the information.

It's our right, no, our DUTY as message boards ninja's to tell him to **** off.

Davisian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 07:00 PM
xander

If experience teaches us anything it's that the lines drawn up on october 1st are almost never the ones that click on january 10th. Everyone thought that Gomez and Jagr paired together was a given going into camp last year. Regardless, it's always fun to play alphabet blocks at the begining of the season, so, with the understanding that this is just in good fun, I'll throw out some options.

Dawes-Gomez-Zherdev Clearly a skill and speed line. With Jagr gone the top line now defaults to whatever line Gomez happens to center. We all know that Gomez is as much a pure playmaker as you're going to find these days, so you might as well give him shooters to pass the puck to. I liked the chemistry that Dawes and Gomez showed last year, and I really think that Nigel showed far more on Scott Gomez' wing that anywhere else in the lineup. Zherdev is more of a wild card, but his skills certainly warrant a look on the number one line. Without watching him play every day it's difficult to know whether or not he's the type of skilled player that demands the puck to be effective. If he is then he'd be far better suited playing with Dubinsky (who we saw play well deferring to a skilled winger last year) rather than Gomez, who needs the puck on his stick. You could easily switch Dawes and Zherdev if you prefer off wing shooters.

Naslund-Dubinsky-Sjostrom I will admit that it might be a reach to place Sjostrom on the second line, but it's early in the season and now is the time to experiment. I liked the physicall, puck possession game that Dubinsky showed last year and I'd like to keep him with at least one good sized winger to help him establish a physical presence on the boards. Unfortunately, the Rangers lack large, highly skilled wingers for Dubinsky to play with, but Sjostrom is at least intriguing. His speed and size, along with a respectable pair of hands, warrant giving him some time on a prime scoring line to see if there's more than just promise to the offensive side of his game. Naslund is here to provide pure skill. Ideally, one would imagine Naslund working without the puck to find a shooting lane while Dubinsky and Sjostrom work the low boards. This line has some potental holes, but I think there's also a good deal of promise here that's worth having a look at. As I mentioned above, if Zherdev proves to be a puck hog, then he might be a good fit with Dubinsky.

Fritsche-Drury-Callahan This would be the definition of a tweener line. I do believe in rolling three scoring lines, and I do consider this to be a line with some scoring potential, but there's also a great amount of two-way responcibility and sandpaper in this line that I like to see in a third line. I don't care what Drury is getting paid, I think he works best in this capacity. If he plays in all situations, plays a great two-way game (and he always does) and helps generate offence from the third line then I'll be happy. Callahan's shown that he can be an opportunistic scorer while playing a rough game, and I think his game works well with Drury's. Fritsche is a bit of an unknown, but what we've heard about him indicates that he can play a two-way game and that he is not inept with the puck. He also adds a bit of size to a line othwerize composed of guys who play bigger than they are.

Voros-Betts-???(Byers/Korpikoski/Prucha/Rissmillier)
I think Blair Betts is an Ideal 4th line center and I see no need to displace him. He's never going to be anything more than a fourth line center, but he does his job as well as anyone and you also need his presence on the PK. Voros makes sense here, he provides a bit more all around game than Colton Orr did while, hopefully, filling Orr's role as a tough guy. The last spot on this line is very much up for grabs. Prucha doesn't really fit on this sort of line, but I honestly don't see where he fits on the roster as a whole. He and Dawes are redundant players, and I honestly like Dawes better. I know Prucha's done more over his career, but we haven't seen the 2006 model prucha for a while now. I think both Byers and Korpikoski will get a shot to make the team and this is really the only spot available to them (unless they are just unbelievable in camp.) Rissmillier will certainly be on the team, whether or not he starts is unknown, but if he does start, this is the logical place for him.

Staal-Rozsival
I see no reason to break this combo up, as I thought they where very good for almost all of last year. I'm a believer in the theory that Rozsival's game was significantly hindered by his injury, and I have no doubts that he will return to his steady and productive (though never unbelievable form.) It will be interesting to see whether or not he shoots a bit more with Jagr and Straka gone. And I'm as bullish on Staal as anyone, but I also think the best way to nurture his offensive game is to leave him with the partner that he has a years worth of experience and comfort with.
Redden-Girardi What will we get out of Redden? I don't need to add anymore to that discourse, enough has already been said. I do think that it makes sense to put Wade with a defense men who, most of the time, is steady in his own end. And if Wade does come around and turn back into the puck moving force that he once was, then this is a perfectly balanced pair. If not,...well at least Girardi will be there to cover for him.

Mara-Kalinin This is a logical 'best of the rest' pairing. Kalinin is at least interesting, but time will only tell. I've never loved Mara, but I'm comfortable with him in this roll.

Whoa, if I have nothing to do later (and there's a good chance of that), I might start messing around with PPs. It's silly to put this amount of thought into preseason lines, but I've had a long day and I might be too brain dead to do anything else.

Last edited by xander: 08-18-2008 at 07:06 PM.
xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 08:27 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Just for the record, when you're making up your lines, Fritsche primarily played right wing in Columbus.

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 08:44 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisian View Post
That's pretty much the point of message boards. Drama

Or at least some entertainment.

And its just plain funny to see some asshat pretending he's got his finger on the pulse of upper management and is so cavalier about sharing the information.

It's our right, no, our DUTY as message boards ninja's to tell him to **** off.
Thank you for the new tag line, Davisian!

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 09:12 PM
NY Ranger86

Naslund needs a line mate that will open space for him so I can def see him with Gomez no doubt.

Drury and Zherdev may work too.

Is it Oct 10th yet????????????

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 09:21 PM
xander

cbjgirl: Can you tell us a bit more about Zherdev? Specifically, how does he play without the puck? We know he slick with the puck, but is he going to need the puck on his stick all the time to be effective?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ranger86 View Post
Naslund needs a line mate that will open space for him so I can def see him with Gomez no doubt.

Drury and Zherdev may work too.

Is it Oct 10th yet????????????
Yeah, the more I think about it the more I like the idea of putting Dawes and Naslund on Gomez's wings and just letting him dish out the puck to them.

If Zherdev is a puck possession player then I like the idea of putting him with Dubinsky. I really wish I'd watched a few blue jackets games last year.

Old
08-18-2008, 09:41 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander
Yeah, the more I think about it the more I like the idea of putting Dawes and Naslund on Gomez's wings and just letting him dish out the puck to them.
wont ever happen. Naslund and Dawes are both LW'ers.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 09:55 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
wont ever happen. Naslund and Dawes are both LW'ers.

Never happen? We're talking about wingers here. Not only can most guys play the off wing, I saw Dawes do it last year. And, personally, I've always felt that dawes would make more sense on the right side anyway. He's a sniper with a quick release, why not put him on the off wing?

Old
08-18-2008, 10:21 PM
mti79

vCash: 50
Quote:
prucha is traded.....

dawes is with gomez and naslund, two players who like to play up-tempo and can pass him the puck and also accept his passes....zherdev with drury and fritsche allows that line someone to carry the puck whereas drury can score off of the passes from zherdev and fritsche will forecheck hard to get the puck back down low
Quote:
centers:
gomez
drury
dubinsky
anisimov
betts

wings:
zherdev
naslund
dawes
callahan
sjostrom
voros
rissmiller
orr
moore
byers
parenteau
fritsche
prucha
jessiman
korpikoski

defense:
redden
rozsival
staal
girardi
kalinin
mara
potter
pock
sanguinetti

those are the main players who i expect to be around for a while.......
I'm confused... will he be traded or will he be around for a while? You lost me somewhere....

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 12:11 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mti79 View Post
I'm confused... will he be traded or will he be around for a while? You lost me somewhere....
i wrote out what the depth charts look like as of now.....

and then i wrote what i think will happen.....

sorry, i know it was kinda confusing but as i see it prucha is the odd man out especially with his salary

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 09:07 AM
Davisian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Thank you for the new tag line, Davisian!

You're worthy of the designation..

And I don't mean that in an Eddie Haskell kind of way.

Davisian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 09:58 AM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
cbjgirl: Can you tell us a bit more about Zherdev? Specifically, how does he play without the puck? We know he slick with the puck, but is he going to need the puck on his stick all the time to be effective?

If Zherdev is a puck possession player then I like the idea of putting him with Dubinsky. I really wish I'd watched a few blue jackets games last year.
I've made many posts in the other Zherdev threads concerning this issue. But, a better thing for you to do might be to look closely at the Zherdev video someone made. It didn't really hit me until I watched it again. Almost everything in that video is Nik going alone. Very few were Nik getting set-up by someone else.

Whether you judge that to be a complete lack of passing ability on the part of the Jackets (which wouldn't be too far off the mark), or that Zherdev likes to go it alone is your call.

Chemistry will be the issue. There were many times last season that (from my perch at center ice in the upper bowl) I thought Zherdev should have passed it when he shot or shot it when he passed. He and his linemates NEED to be on the same page. It just didn't happen much last season (although last year was better than the year before by a significant margin).

For the Jackets, Nik was one of the few players players that brought the puck up the ice last season. Our transition game was horrible, defensemen pretty much incapable of making outlet passes. Therefore, dump and chase was what we got. Problem being, the opposition knew that Nik would carry it over the blue line, then he would get stood up at the line (double or triple teamed) and puck would be going the other way. He needs to mix things up a bit, not be so predictable.

(So how can a guy be predictable and not at the same time... hmmm.... gotta think about this a bit more. ) Maybe that incongruity has to do with coaching (what linemates expect him to do) versus what Nik did (and opponents expected).

Old
08-19-2008, 02:40 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjgirl View Post
I've made many posts in the other Zherdev threads concerning this issue. But, a better thing for you to do might be to look closely at the Zherdev video someone made. It didn't really hit me until I watched it again. Almost everything in that video is Nik going alone. Very few were Nik getting set-up by someone else.

Whether you judge that to be a complete lack of passing ability on the part of the Jackets (which wouldn't be too far off the mark), or that Zherdev likes to go it alone is your call.

Chemistry will be the issue. There were many times last season that (from my perch at center ice in the upper bowl) I thought Zherdev should have passed it when he shot or shot it when he passed. He and his linemates NEED to be on the same page. It just didn't happen much last season (although last year was better than the year before by a significant margin).

For the Jackets, Nik was one of the few players players that brought the puck up the ice last season. Our transition game was horrible, defensemen pretty much incapable of making outlet passes. Therefore, dump and chase was what we got. Problem being, the opposition knew that Nik would carry it over the blue line, then he would get stood up at the line (double or triple teamed) and puck would be going the other way. He needs to mix things up a bit, not be so predictable.

(So how can a guy be predictable and not at the same time... hmmm.... gotta think about this a bit more. ) Maybe that incongruity has to do with coaching (what linemates expect him to do) versus what Nik did (and opponents expected).

Sorry cbjgirl, I havn't been reading the forums too much these days, I havn't gotten over to the other thread. Thanks for the info, sounds like Zherdev might be a better fit with Dubinsky than Gomez, but we'll have to see.

Old
08-21-2008, 08:48 AM
Fletch

xander...

I actually like your lines (although with Sjostrom as a second liner, it highlights the lack of top six forward depth on this team)...I do have a couple issues, though. Drury has shown an ability to score 35 goals, and an abilty to score 25 goals. With guys like Cally and Fritsche, the numbers going to be 20-25. With Zherdev, he has a better chance of topping 30 goals. Of course, what happens to Dubi's produciton. It's tough finding the right match of players that will create the optimal results, as opposed to benefitting one guy at the expense of another.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 10:26 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:

Thanks for the observations.

The bolded paragraph is the lone reason why i think Zherdev might actualy work with Gomez. Gomez is one of the best in the league at transporting the puck over the blue line, and as we saw last year when he was paired with Jagr, he ahd no one to dish it off to because Jagr wasn't there or decided to work across the grain expecting Gomez to do the same. If Gomez can open up the ice and Zherdev can learn to read that we could see alot of drop passes and driving to the net for those two.

When he was paired with Nash, did these two work on something similar?

The fact that youve stated that Z likes to carry the puck leads me to believe that hell work best on a Dawes- Drury line - but you also go into great deal into explaining WHY he did that so much, the system of the Jackets being one major reason.

It will be interesting to see how he transfers his game to the Rangers "new" style - whatever that will be.

But if he shoots the puck instead of passing at times, thats great too because the Rangers were lacking that the past 7 seasons.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 10:29 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
The bolded paragraph is the lone reason why i think Zherdev might actualy work with Gomez. Gomez is one of the best in the league at transporting the puck over the blue line, and as we saw last year when he was paired with Jagr, he ahd no one to dish it off to because Jagr wasn't there or decided to work across the grain expecting Gomez to do the same. If Gomez can open up the ice and Zherdev can learn to read the we could see alot of drop passes and driving to the net for those two.
i can't even remember how many times gomez pulled up at the blue line looking for a guy breaking to the net, only to find that everyone else was still at the red line....

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 01:34 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Thanks for the observations.

The bolded paragraph is the lone reason why i think Zherdev might actualy work with Gomez. Gomez is one of the best in the league at transporting the puck over the blue line, and as we saw last year when he was paired with Jagr, he ahd no one to dish it off to because Jagr wasn't there or decided to work across the grain expecting Gomez to do the same. If Gomez can open up the ice and Zherdev can learn to read that we could see alot of drop passes and driving to the net for those two.

When he was paired with Nash, did these two work on something similar?

The fact that youve stated that Z likes to carry the puck leads me to believe that hell work best on a Dawes- Drury line - but you also go into great deal into explaining WHY he did that so much, the system of the Jackets being one major reason.

It will be interesting to see how he transfers his game to the Rangers "new" style - whatever that will be.

But if he shoots the puck instead of passing at times, thats great too because the Rangers were lacking that the past 7 seasons.

Nash and Zherdev did not work well together. They tried it relatively early in the season (IIRC). There was an article two seasons ago where someone had interviewed Fedorov. At the time, the line was Nash - Feds - Zherdev. Feds basically called out both Nash and Zherdev and essentially said that they needed to realize that if they passed the puck (to him) that they would get it back. The trio did do better after that point.

We basically only had 2 top 6 players last year - Nash and Zherdev. Modin only played 23 games with the longest stretch being 8 games in February (6G, 6A +1 down from 79 GP 22G 20A -3). Vyborny got hit by Erat in the preseason, screwed up his knee and essentially disappeared for the entire season (66 GP 7G 19A -8 - down from 82 GP 16G 48A +6). I'll throw Fedorov's regular season stats in here just because: 06/07 73 GP 18G 24A -7, 07/08 CBJ 50 GP (out almost the entire month of Jan) 9G 19A -3, 07/08 WSH 18 GP 2G 11 A -2.

I'm trying to remember who meshed well with Zherdev by reading through some of the game summaries on NHL.com. Not having much luck. I seem to remember Zherdev and Novotny meshing well (until Novo got a concussion - then his play dropped off significantly the rest of the season). (It's too bad they got rid of the TOI bar chart - that was actually useful trying to figure out who was on the ice at the same time.)

Musical centers on the team didn't help either. Fedorov / Peca / Beech / Malhotra / Novotny / MacKenzie / Murray / Brassard. Offensive chemistry (meaning the opposite of defensive not offensive as in bad - although it was that too ) was mostly non-existant last season.

Just as a comparison (so you don't just think - oh it's the Jackets - they suck...)
CBJ
80 pts
G/G 2.32 (29th)
GA/G 2.56 (8th)
5-5 F/A 0.90 (24th)
PP% 14.0 (26th)
PK% 83.3% (9th)
S/G 29.0 (14th)
SA/G 27.4 (6th)
FO % 52.3 (4th)
OT/Shootout record: 5W 12L (28th)
Good defensive stats - awful offensive stats (boy I hope Brassard and Voracek are ready and Huselius and Umberger mesh with Nash or it's going to be another long season)

NYR
97 pts
G/G 2.5 (25th)
GA/G 2.32 (4th)
5-5 F/A 1.14 (5th)
PP% 16.5 (22nd)
PK% 84.6 (6th)
S/G 31.5 (3rd)
SA/G 25.9 (3rd)
FO% 52.3 (3rd)
OT/Shootout record: 12W 13L (3rd)

I've got kids (wait - this is relavent). My "relationship" with Zherdev was similar to that with my children. Sometimes you just want to jump up and down with joy because you are so proud of them, other times you just want to smack them upside the head.

Old
08-21-2008, 01:36 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
i can't even remember how many times gomez pulled up at the blue line looking for a guy breaking to the net, only to find that everyone else was still at the red line....
Sounds like Gomez and Chimera would have worked together perfectly. Chimera would be headed full steam ahead (which is very very fast) then Zherdev would dipsy doodle right before the blue line. Chimera probably leads the league in offsides calls.

Old
08-21-2008, 01:40 PM
acapps10

dawes-gomez-zherdev
naslund-drury-prucha
fritsche-dubinsky-callahan
rissmiller-betts-sjostrom

redden-staal
girardi-rosy
mara kallinan

acapps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 01:46 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Cbjgirl

Thanks a lot for that breakdown.

Its funny how the offense of the two teams were that similar yet they finished 17 points apart.

The 5-5 stat is the big difference there.

We'll have to see where Z winds up on this team - hopefully he'll have the players and center he needs to succeed.

Old
08-21-2008, 01:47 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Sounds like Gomez and Chimera would have worked together perfectly. Chimera would be headed full steam ahead (which is very very fast) then Zherdev would dipsy doodle right before the blue line. Chimera probably leads the league in offsides calls.
Next to Avery.

They should really keep that stat. But then who would take the stat in that situation? Chimera or Zherdev? I guess Chimera since he actually went off, even though its prob Zherdevs fault.

Old
08-21-2008, 01:47 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
i was hopin for chimera at the deadline, always liked his game, speed and some grit cant hurt either. he was drafted by sather so who knows, maybe when he is an ufa sather will sign him or trade prucha for chimera

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 02:21 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDubinskyNYR17 View Post
i was hopin for chimera at the deadline, always liked his game, speed and some grit cant hurt either. he was drafted by sather so who knows, maybe when he is an ufa sather will sign him or trade prucha for chimera
Chimera just signed a long term contract. I think he's the guy that keeps everyone loose in the locker room. Speed, yes. Grit and yappiness, yes. But he gets his butt handed to him everytime he's in a fight. (He's one where you just want to cover your eyes, because you just know how it is going to turn out.)