HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

SKost or Higgins switched to center ?

Old
08-18-2008, 07:54 PM
primeking

vCash: 500
SKost or Higgins switched to center ?

Which one of Sergei Kostitsyn or Chris Higgins would you change position to become a centerman? I know full well that Higgy is a former C but I think he lacks the faceoff ability needed and doesnt necessarily have the vision and passing ability needed to be effective at that position. SKost has those abilities albeit he probably can't take faceoffs like an NHL centerman. Which one would be the best player as center ?

primeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 07:58 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

I wouldn't switch either one.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 08:01 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Neither. We tried it last year with both of them and it was a disaster. You can't just switch a winger over to center and expect him to perform the same, especially when he's been a winger for the majority of hockey-playing life. There's a much bigger defensive responsibility involved as well.

If you held a gun to my head though, I'd say Higgins.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 08:06 PM
Athlétique_Canadien

Chipchura answers this question. Both Higgins and Sergei are comfortable in their positions IMO. Moving either to C might be a detriment. Higgins maybe but he's been out of the position for a while now. Hopefully Chips has faceoff winning magic.

Athlétique_Canadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 08:07 PM
Daniel Bigras

I agree, neither.

Maxime and Kyle can do the job.

Nobody can do Sergei's job on the right and on the left, I think Chris is our 2nd best left wing. Ok, Christopher had similar stats than Andrei, but according to a lot of people, Andrei had an amazing season while Christopher had a sub-par season, at least, from what people expected.

Don't forget, on the right wing, we only have Alexei that is good, after that, our top RW is Sergei.

But, trying Christopher on center would give room to another left wing, if he's trying to steal a spot: Max Pacioretty.

Daniel Bigras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 08:15 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
I wouldn't switch either one.
THat would be my answer, too. My backup option would be to try both.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 08:18 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Bigras View Post
I agree, neither.

Nobody can do Sergei's job on the right and on the left, I think Chris is our 2nd best left wing. Ok, Christopher had similar stats than Andrei, but according to a lot of people, Andrei had an amazing season while Christopher had a sub-par season, at least, from what people expected.

Don't forget, on the right wing, we only have Alexei that is good, after that, our top RW is Sergei.

But, trying Christopher on center would give room to another left wing, if he's trying to steal a spot: Max Pacioretty.
If it came to that, I think the Habs would switch Latendresse to a higher line before they called up Pacioretty. Still. Pacioretty could surprise us right from training camp.

Old
08-18-2008, 08:18 PM
Ross MacLochness

If one of Plekanec or Koivu go down for a bit, I wouldn't mind Higgins playing center for a couple games. What else would we do? Plekanec-Chipchura-Lapierre-Begin? Yuck.

Let's face it, we were unbelievably lucky last year with injuries, if Plekanec or Koivu are out for a couple months, Bob needs to make a move pronto.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 08:36 PM
LPHabsFan

Send a message via AIM to LPHabsFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Neither. We tried it last year with both of them and it was a disaster. You can't just switch a winger over to center and expect him to perform the same, especially when he's been a winger for the majority of hockey-playing life. There's a much bigger defensive responsibility involved as well.

If you held a gun to my head though, I'd say Higgins.
No, but you can switch a winger to center if you give them training camp, practices, and pre-season games to get the accustomed to that position rather than what, 48 hours and two practices?

LPHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 08:42 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHLÉTIQUE_CANADIEN View Post
Chipchura answers this question. Both Higgins and Sergei are comfortable in their positions IMO. Moving either to C might be a detriment. Higgins maybe but he's been out of the position for a while now. Hopefully Chips has faceoff winning magic.
Maybe he got a genie over the summer.. because he's going to need something to improve that 44% in the face-off circle from last season.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 08:47 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Maybe he got a genie over the summer.. because he's going to need something to improve that 44% in the face-off circle from last season.
He doesn't need that big of a turnaround bud. He's 22, at that age it's all about the learning curb.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 08:49 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

How many threads do you think we've had with this idea? It's got to be at least a half dozen.

Man it's a slow offseason.

08-18-2008, 09:00 PM
Athlétique_Canadien

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
His faceoff improved back in Hamilton. I hope the org has worked closely on that aspect of his game. I am thrilled with his defensive and offensive puck possesion skills. No one can get the puck away from him. Excellent puck holding skills in heavy traffic.

Athlétique_Canadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 09:13 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Ok, Christopher had similar stats than Andrei, but according to a lot of people, Andrei had an amazing season while Christopher had a sub-par season, at least, from what people expected.
Higgins: 3rd NHL season
A. Kostitsyn: 1st NHL season

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 09:17 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Merge....

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 10:56 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
If one of Plekanec or Koivu go down for a bit, I wouldn't mind Higgins playing center for a couple games. What else would we do? Plekanec-Chipchura-Lapierre-Begin? Yuck.

Let's face it, we were unbelievably lucky last year with injuries, if Plekanec or Koivu are out for a couple months, Bob needs to make a move pronto.
I totally agree, as a short term answer to losing Plekanec or Koivu (2 or 3 games). I would be ok with either S.Kost or Higgins filling in. But anything longer then that I would hope Gainey would make a move.

08-18-2008, 11:08 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPHabsFan View Post
No, but you can switch a winger to center if you give them training camp, practices, and pre-season games to get the accustomed to that position rather than what, 48 hours and two practices?
I still don't think it's a good idea.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 11:14 PM
hersky77

Higgins was a center when he was in college and in the ahl, but in the nhl he hasn't been very good at faceoffs. S kost we tried last year and it failed miserably. The good thing is that we have chips and max who could fill the void at center if someone gets injured.

hersky77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 11:26 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hersky77 View Post
Higgins was a center when he was in college and in the ahl, but in the nhl he hasn't been very good at faceoffs. S kost we tried last year and it failed miserably. The good thing is that we have chips and max who could fill the void at center if someone gets injured.
Do you really feel confident if one of our top 2 centers goes down with an injury for a long period of time. Knowing that Chipchura or Lapierre are the ones that would be filling in?

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 11:33 PM
bhuya71

Quote:
I agree, neither.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! argh our top RW is akost not skost its akosts natural position and he shoots left so obviously he would be more effective from the right...

bhuya71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 11:39 PM
Daniel Bigras

Why so much focus on the center?

Is it really where we are weak?

I believe, it's my opinion, it's coming from my point of view (am I clear enough that it's my opinion?) that we need to improve other areas in order to compete against Detroit and Pittsburgh.

I believe, it's my opinion, blablabla, that we need to allow less shots on goal and eventually that will lead to less goals.

Montreal was 1st in offense and PP last season. Sure, we were first in offense because of our PP and it didn't work well in the playoffs. But Detroit was first in goals allowed and shots allowed on goal.

I believe Montreal needs to improve that aspect. A good center will help us in that departement, for sure, but we have 2-3 defensemen that aren't the top guys in the league. Again, I'm always comparing or analysing in order to beat Detroit, not to beat Columbus.

Old
08-18-2008, 11:46 PM
Daniel Bigras

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuya71 View Post
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! argh our top RW is akost not skost its akosts natural position and he shoots left so obviously he would be more effective from the right...
Is it hard to write Andrei Kostitsyn?

Andrei is a left wing with Montreal, not a right wing. Alexei is the right wing on their line.

Sergei is a lefty playing on the right wing since he came to North-America, but he was often playing center in Belarus. I guess he was centering the line he was playing with his brother, but I'm not sure about that. I still have a hard time reading russian, but it's getting there.

I think it's hard to play opposite wing at a higher level, I think it's easier at lower levels.

Old
08-19-2008, 12:01 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Is it hard to write Andrei Kostitsyn?

Andrei is a left wing with Montreal, not a right wing. Alexei is the right wing on their line.

Sergei is a lefty playing on the right wing since he came to North-America, but he was often playing center in Belarus. I guess he was centering the line he was playing with his brother, but I'm not sure about that. I still have a hard time reading russian, but it's getting there.

I think it's hard to play opposite wing at a higher level, I think it's easier at lower levels.
True Andrei is the left winger on his line. But his natural position is right wing, that's why most posters are saying they would like to see him on the right wing.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 12:07 AM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

I think a lot of the posters will agree, the explosive plays from Andrei Kostitsym comes from the play developing from the center or Right wing and him moving right to left...so a lot of us would like to see him play right wing full time.

As for the original question...Neither or only in Emergency.

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 12:19 AM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
How many threads do you think we've had with this idea? It's got to be at least a half dozen.

Man it's a slow offseason.
Most offseasons deteriorate to this level on hockey forums. It says something when there are so many posts about Georges Laraque. Still, the Sundin-plays-Hamlet situation is intriguing.