HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

NHL.com Article: Rangers Icing Plenty of Assets on Blue Line, Up Front

Old
08-13-2008, 10:39 AM
RedLightDistrict

vCash: 500
NHL.com Article: Rangers Icing Plenty of Assets on Blue Line, Up Front

Good read, gives insight into some of our top prospects http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=...ticleid=379399

Gord Clark has a glowing report on Anisimov. Can't wait to see this kid on Broadway.

Quote:
"Right from the very beginning, he was by far one of the players who already knew how to play in his own defensive end, which is very uncommon for young boys to know how to do," Clark said. "We usually have to teach them once they become pros. But he already knew all that stuff."

The 6-3, 190-pound center will be given every chance to win an NHL job in training camp.

"He just needs to learn the hitting part of the game, being hit and taking guys out," Clark said. "That's not part of their game over there (Russia)."

RedLightDistrict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 10:53 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

anisimov and grachev get me so pumped up when i thik about them. i have an inkling that someday we'll be seeing them and dubi being the core of our forward lineup....

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 11:24 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Good read. Should be stickied or something for people who want to learn a little bit about our top prospects.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 11:31 AM
Midnight85

Send a message via AIM to Midnight85 Send a message via MSN to Midnight85
The Ranger's prospects excite me... the only thing that scares me is alot of our better forward prospects are Russian, and the KHL looms in the distance. Ansimov hasn't shown anything other than loyalty to the Rangers, and Cherepanov has said time and time again he'll come over but its a scary thought.

Midnight85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 02:23 PM
RedLightDistrict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Good read. Should be stickied or something for people who want to learn a little bit about our top prospects.
Mods, any of you figure you could do this?

RedLightDistrict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 02:26 PM
Garfinkel1

These two where my favorite descriptions. I never knew Grachev was rated #9 euro player. He sounds better then all the good things I heard from him already.
Quote:
Adam Kimelman | NHL.com Staff Writer
Evgeny Grachev -- The expiration of the transfer agreement between the NHL and IIHF likely allowed Grachev to slip to the third round (No. 75) of the 2008 draft.

Rated No. 9 by Central Scouting among European skaters, Grachev is a 6-3, 202-pound power forward who is considered good with the puck in close to the net.

"Evgeny is a power forward with a good physical presence and ability to come up with the puck in traffic areas," NHL Director of European Scouting Goran Stubb said. "He displays strong puck skills and the ability to make plays all over the ice, but needs to improve his acceleration and overall speed."

Grachev had five points in six games for Russia at the Under-18 World Championships, and 13 points in 28 games for Yaroslavl in the Russian junior leagues. He got into one game with Yaroslavl's team in the Russian Super League.

"At the World Under-18 tournament, I thought he was really good," Hammett said. "Any time you see a guy that big who does the things that he does in terms of handling the puck, it's an attractive package. We felt we had to take him."

Grachev has the option of staying in Russia or playing for the Brampton Battalion of the Ontario Hockey League, which drafted his rights in the CHL import draft.

"We feel confident after talking to him that he really wants to come over to North America," Hammett said. "He's a big, big kid with a nice set of hands and very strong over the puck and is a good skater, so he's got an excellent combination of size, skating and skill."

Bobby Sanguinetti -- The Rangers' first choice in the 2006 Entry Draft (No. 21 overall), Sanguinetti is the team's best defense prospect.

Offensively gifted, Sanguinetti led Ontario Hockey League defensemen with 29 goals last season, and he was second with 70 points. It was the third straight season he finished in the top 10 in scoring among the league's blueliners.

A New Jersey native who grew up with Brian Leetch posters in his room, Sanguinetti has a shot to make the Rangers out of training camp, but needs to show more skill in his own end to make that a certainty. To that end, he's bulked up to 192 pounds on his 6-1 frame, and there's room to add more.

"There's still a few things he's got to work on," Clark said. "The defensive part of his game has come a long way." He was a plus-10 last season with the OHL's Brampton Battalion, and a plus-2 in six late-season games with the Wolf Pack last season.

"We're looking for somebody to be a first power-play guy," Clark said. "If it doesn't work out (with the Rangers), he goes down and he's going to be playing a ton down in Hartford. It's a good stepping stone for him from junior. He'll get a little more work on playing defense in the pro game, but not at the expense of his offense. We want him to take his offense to another level."

Garfinkel1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 02:38 PM
squishy

Quote:
Chris Holt -- The Rangers' 2003 sixth-round pick (No. 180), Holt is part of a thin list of goaltending prospects.

He split last season between Charlotte of the ECHL and Hartford of the AHL. He looked good in nine games with the Wolf Pack, going 5-3 with a 2.42 goals-against average and .906 save percentage.

He should compete for a full-time AHL spot in the fall.
In Peoria maybe. He's not even part of the Rangers system anymore. He signed an AHL contract with the Blues farm club.

Meanwhile the author ignored the goalie that actually has a shot at winning an AHL spot with the organization this season, Matt Zaba.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 02:57 PM
Levitate

I don't entirely blame them for missing Zaba, since he was off playing ECHL hockey in Idaho last year.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 03:55 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight85 View Post
The Ranger's prospects excite me... the only thing that scares me is alot of our better forward prospects are Russian, and the KHL looms in the distance. Ansimov hasn't shown anything other than loyalty to the Rangers, and Cherepanov has said time and time again he'll come over but its a scary thought.
It is a scary thought but I think once of the Big 3 (yes thats what I'm calling them and I'm loving it) get here, the others will surely follow. I think AA is going to be that guy that makes the jump first and Cherry will follow with Grachev close behind him.

The Rangers management has done a phenominal job in turning this system around and now were looking at a solid core of young forwards that are potential 1st and 2nd liners as opposed to all the 3rd line projected prospects we have. You got AA, Cherry, Dawes, Korpedo, Grachev, Dubi, and maybe a few others like Pyatt and Dupont, etc.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 04:18 PM
D713B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
It is a scary thought but I think once of the Big 3 (yes thats what I'm calling them and I'm loving it) get here, the others will surely follow. I think AA is going to be that guy that makes the jump first and Cherry will follow with Grachev close behind him.

The Rangers management has done a phenominal job in turning this system around and now were looking at a solid core of young forwards that are potential 1st and 2nd liners as opposed to all the 3rd line projected prospects we have. You got AA, Cherry, Dawes, Korpedo, Grachev, Dubi, and maybe a few others like Pyatt and Dupont, etc.
I thought Grachev said after he was drafted that he would come to NA this year. IDK, I could be making this up but thats what I thought.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 04:24 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post
I thought Grachev said after he was drafted that he would come to NA this year. IDK, I could be making this up but thats what I thought.
He definitely said it, and last I heard, was definitely still coming. Unless he gets browbeaten into staying

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 10:33 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Kundratek is growing on me as a prospect, at least from what I've been reading. If he fills out to 6'3" 210 lbs or so, that'll be a real asset.

Nice comments about my boy Grachev!

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 11:32 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

just keep in mind that the NHL is in the business of selling hockey. I can't remember the last time they ever published a story that wasn't positive about an NHL team.

so yes, enjoy the article but know the source

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2008, 08:05 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
just keep in mind that the NHL is in the business of selling hockey. I can't remember the last time they ever published a story that wasn't positive about an NHL team.

so yes, enjoy the article but know the source
yea its like the scouting reports for the prospects, u never hear a team bash them: Pavel Brendl: "very good player. great skill and shot but is a bad skater and does not work hard" Glen Sather Says. "Brendl also has a bad attitude and only cares about himself" coach Renney

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2008, 10:25 AM
eco's bones

I liked the article. I would note that all of this years draftees were included and that Byers who might also have a shot at making the Rangers was not.

Interesting to see Gordie Clark's take on Greg Moore. Potentially a 2nd line player? and I don't think he means in the AHL. Korpikoski's game was noted for its energy and versatility and Anisimov they seem to think is close as well. It could be an interesting camp--maybe Rissmiller and his one year contract will find himself in Hartford or dealt for a draft pick? You never know. Betts may be another player who is moved.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 08:23 PM
Ace2008

greg moore is a 2nd liner

just not an offensive minded one

he hits, skates, and plays the body or the puck well enough to earn ice time w/ finesse guys....but there has got to be a way to maximize his defensive awareness---__Maybe try him w/ a pair of speedy Finesse guys like Callahan+Dawes or Prucha and Korpikoski

should be interesting if the coaches give him a shot

I usually don't like AHL callups but I like him

Ace2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 08:30 PM
Speedtrials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace2008 View Post
greg moore is a 2nd liner

just not an offensive minded one

he hits, skates, and plays the body or the puck well enough to earn ice time w/ finesse guys....but there has got to be a way to maximize his defensive awareness---__Maybe try him w/ a pair of speedy Finesse guys like Callahan+Dawes or Prucha and Korpikoski

should be interesting if the coaches give him a shot

I usually don't like AHL callups but I like him
Moore is an interesting prospect. He seems like he has put up good offensive numbers in the AHL, and the coaches seem to really like him, but he really hasn't been very impressive in his short time in the NHL. I remember prospects like Dubinsky and Dawes, at least show flashes of their talent translating to the NHL before they became regulars. However, from the games I have seen Moore play at the NHL level, I can't say I have seen him do anything to make me excited about his future. It will be interesting to see where he fits in the organizations plans.

Speedtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 11:00 PM
squishy

It's not like there's any benefit in Clark talking up the organization's prospects or anything...

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote