HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

MLD #9 Drafting Thread

Old
08-19-2008, 06:29 AM
Transplanted Caper

vCash: 500
Peterborough selects C. Paul Ronty, who finished Top 6 in scoring 3 times in his career.

Quote:
Long before he entered the pro ranks, Paul Ronty came up against his future teammate, Ed Sanford, while playing youth hockey in Toronto. Ronty skated for a team call Chewies Aces and thus received the moniker "Chew" compliments of Sanford.

By 1947, Ronty got his first crack at the Boston Bruins line-up, splitting the season between Boston and Hershey of the AHL. The following two seasons brought him full-time action with the Bruins. While centering wingers Johnny Peirson and Ken Smith, Ronty finished 5th in league scoring in 1948 and 1949, topping the 20-goal plateau on both occasions.

In 1951, he was traded to the New York Rangers where he continued to put up solid numbers as the feed man for Wally "The Garbage Collector" Hergesheimer.

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 08:03 AM
camperjr

Great pick Paul. I was hoping he'ed fall alittle further.

camperjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 09:28 AM
God Bless Canada

The Humboldt Indians will add a little European flavour, a dynamic goal scorer and a talented playmaker who consistently produced, regardless of teammates:

RW Ziggy Palffy

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 09:42 AM
seventieslord

VCL, I don't know who to take on D, but Prodgers was definitely in the mix. Nice one.

And, Ronty & Palffy are both good ones too. Nothing slips by you guys!

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 09:46 AM
camperjr

The Kelowna Rockets select G-Mike Palmateer

Last edited by camperjr: 08-19-2008 at 10:12 AM.
Old
08-19-2008, 10:07 AM
pitseleh

Hmm, well with Palffy off the board, Bergen selects C Milan Novy and see below for second pick.

Novy is one of the greatest Czech players of all time, leading the Czech league in scoring 6 times and winning 3 Golden Stick awards for being the top player in the league during the 1970s and 1980s. He was also named to the '76 Canada Cup all-star team and was tied for the tournament lead in goals.

Quote:
"[Novy's] résumé as a player is very impressive. He holds the Czech league record for most career goals with an amazing 474 goals in 633 games. He scored the most goals for four straight years in the league (1973-76). His 59 goals (in 44 games) during the 1976-77 season is still a league record. He also holds the Czech "iron man" record by not missing a single league game in eight years. Novy also scored a fine 120 goals in 211 games for the Czechoslovakian national team. He was a six time league champion, a three time player-of-the-year in Czechoslovakia and a two time world champion.

Milan's strength was that he could score from anywhere. He beat the goalies with slapshots, wristshots, high, low or dekes. He also handled the passes delivered to him on the fly better than most players. He was truly a world class player. Some journalists labeled him the best skater outside of the NHL, outranking several Soviet stars of the day.
http://internationalhockeylegends.bl...ilan-novy.html

BTW, good choice with Palffy GBC, he was a guy Wisent and I were strongly considering for one of these picks.

Last edited by pitseleh: 08-19-2008 at 11:36 AM.
pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 10:11 AM
camperjr

With the next selection, the Kelowna Rockets select our powerplay quaterback D-Mike Green.

Last edited by camperjr: 08-19-2008 at 10:26 AM.
Old
08-19-2008, 10:41 AM
God Bless Canada

Am I up again? You guys are quick.

The Humboldt Indians are pleased to select the player we believe is the top offensive threat available in the draft. He was second in scoring for the Leafs when they won the Cup in 42, he was top 10 in assists four times, and in 1946-47, he led the league in assists, ahead of the Bentley's, Lach, Schmidt, Apps, Blake and a host of other greats. His playoff record is actually fairly impressive for a player from that era. He also spent two years serving during the war:

C Billy Taylor

Old
08-19-2008, 10:45 AM
seventieslord

Pit, I hate to tell ya, but Lloyd Cook was taken in the ATD. 720th overall by Kansas City.

I've been reading The Trail Of the Stanley Cup cover to cover, and Cook is definitely a guy I'd target as a #1 D-man in this draft if he was available.

Old
08-19-2008, 10:49 AM
seventieslord

camperjr: Mike Palmateer is a pretty solid MLD goalie. Older Leafs fans still swear by him. His numbers actually stand up pretty well when you look at the teams he played on. Mike Green would be an excellent ATD pick, if he did what he did last season, for five straight years. As it stands, I don't see him being established enough. There are definitely PP quarterbacks out there with similar styles, but they did it for a decade.

Old
08-19-2008, 10:51 AM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Pit, I hate to tell ya, but Lloyd Cook was taken in the ATD. 720th overall by Kansas City.

I've been reading The Trail Of the Stanley Cup cover to cover, and Cook is definitely a guy I'd target as a #1 D-man in this draft if he was available.
Damn, why does my search function always fail me at the worst time.

I'll post a new pick in a few minutes.

Old
08-19-2008, 10:58 AM
God Bless Canada

In today's headlines...

Pieces falling into place
By Dickie Dunn
of the Humboldt Journal

The Humboldt Indians made a commitment to goaltending and goal scoring with their first three selections in the minor league draft.
With their first pick, the Indians selected stand-up goaltender Kirk McLean. With their second and third picks, the Indians addressed their first line offence by taking right winger Zigmund Palffy and centre Billy Taylor.
McLean, a tall stand-up goaltender, was a two-time Vezina finalist (1989 and 1992) and the star of the Canucks run to the Stanley Cup in 1994
GM God Bless Canada said that McLean's selection was partially sentimental, as McLean is his all-time favourite goaltender. But he also had a strong peak, and a solid seven-year run.
"When he's playing his stand up game, he's tough to score on," said GBC. "He covers up most of the net, he plays his angles well and he just simply gets in the way of the puck."
GBC noted that McLean was probably the best puck-moving goaltender available, which he believes will be an asset against opponents with a strong forecheck.
The two forwards, Palffy and Taylor, were two of the best offensive threats available.
Palffy was a three-time 40-goal scorer, and he dropped below a point-per-game only twice in his career.
"He's likely the most dynamic goal scorer available," said GBC. "He skates like the wind and he has a powerful shot. And he's fearless, too. He's not big, but you won't intimidate him."
GBC said the club was looking at either Palffy or Bill Guerin for the second round pick. Guerin's more of the traditional player they want, but Palffy brings much more scoring ability.
"Once we got Palffy, we knew the player we wanted: Billy Taylor," GBC said.
Taylor is the best offensive player available in the MLD, GBC said. Taylor led the league in assists in 1946-47, was top 10 in assists four times, and was a productive player in the post-season. He won a Stanley Cup with Toronto in 1942.
"If we would have landed Guerin, we would have gone with someone else, but with Palffy here, we couldn't pass up Taylor," said GBC. "They should be the top scoring tandem in the draft."
GBC said he isn't concerned about the size of the two scorers, noting that they're going to be facing lesser defencemen in the draft.
"In the All-Time Draft, I'd be worried," said GBC. "But they aren't facing Earl Seibert, Black Jack Stewart, Serge Savard and Scott Stevens. They're facing lesser players."

Old
08-19-2008, 11:07 AM
Transplanted Caper

Petes take RW. Barney Stanley

Old
08-19-2008, 11:20 AM
seventieslord

Damn, I had Barney Stanley marked off as being picked. I'm not sure why because he was available. It might be because someone named Russell Stanley was chosen at 565th by Kootenay. Who is Russell Stanley?

Old
08-19-2008, 11:22 AM
God Bless Canada

RW/D Russell "Barney" Stanley, the HHOF inductee, was picked by the Kootenay Ice in the ATD. If TC meant that "Barney" Stanley, he had to pick again. If he meant a different Barney Stanley, he belongs to TC.

Old
08-19-2008, 11:25 AM
Transplanted Caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
RW/D Russell "Barney" Stanley, the HHOF inductee, was picked by the Kootenay Ice in the ATD. If TC meant that "Barney" Stanley, he had to pick again. If he meant a different Barney Stanley, he belongs to TC.
My mistake guys, go ahead without me, I'll make my pick up this evening.

Old
08-19-2008, 11:26 AM
God Bless Canada

Since mullin has yet to make up his skipped pick, he is skipped again. Chaos and Nate are on the clock.

Old
08-19-2008, 11:35 AM
pitseleh

Continuing the Russell trend, Bergen selects goal scoring machine and four time Stanley Cup champion C/RW Ernie Russell.

Old
08-19-2008, 12:17 PM
seventieslord

I'm totally lost here. Why is Bergen picking? Also, TC, can you please post at the top of post 1, a list of which GM('s) own each team? it would make it easier to track where we are during the times where the draft list is not updated.

Old
08-19-2008, 12:18 PM
seventieslord

Never mind... I get it. This is to make up for the Lloyd Cook pick.

The other part still stands - a list in post 1 would be nice.

Old
08-19-2008, 12:41 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Just got home. We are going over players right now.

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 01:00 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Belleville Bulls select..

RW - Corb Denneny

Quote:
Right-winger Corb Denneny enjoyed a solid NHL career that lasted parts of nine years. The younger brother of the legendary Cy Denneny also excelled in the NHA and various minor pro leagues.

Born in Cornwall, Ontario, Denneny first made a name for himself in the NOHA with the Cobalt and O'Brien Mines teams. He then spent three years as a solid offensive player in the NHA with the Shamrocks and Blueshirts of Toronto as well as the Ottawa Senators. In 1917-18 he joined the Toronto Arenas for the NHL's inaugural season and scored 20 goals in 21 games before helping the club win the Stanley Cup.

During the early 20's Denneny was a scoring star on the Toronto St. Pats. In 1919-20 he scored 24 goals and notched a league high 12 assists. He then registered consecutive 19-goal season and helped the St. Pats win the Stanley Cup in 1922. On January 26, 1921 he became the fifth NHLer to score at least five goals in a game when he victimized Howie Lockart of the Hamilton Tigers. He later spent a year with the PCHA's Vancouver Maroons where he was a second team all-star before returning to the NHL with Hamilton in 1923-24.

The talented winger ventured west in 1924 and played two years with the Saskatoon Crescents of the WCHL. After scoring 18 goals and a league best 16 assists in 1925-26, Denneny was named to the league all-star squad. Denneny was lured back east for the Toronto Maple Leafs' first season in 1926-27 and formed a solid combination with George Patterson and Hap Day. After playing briefly with the Chicago Black Hawks the next season, the veteran scorer led the Prairie League in goals as a member of the Saskatoon Sheiks. Denneny retired in 1931 after spending the majority of his last three seasons with the Minneapolis Millers and Chicago Shamrocks of the AHA.

- Legends of Hockey

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 01:46 PM
seventieslord

The Regina Capitals will now use their third selection to select a battle-tested, Cup winning stay-at-home defenseman.

Andre "Moose" Dupont

At 6'1" and 200 lbs in the 1970's, Dupont was one of the bigger and stronger players in the league. This Broad Street Bully was a major contributor to two Stanley Cups and two more visits to the Finals. He played in an impressive 140 playoff games and finished his career a +299, never finishing on the minus side once. Even in 1971-72, at age 22, he was a team-leading +11 on a St. Louis team that had 67 points. With 244 career points and two 30-point seasons, Dupont is also not completely inept offensively.

Also, did you know Dupont was the CHL MVP at age 21 in 1970-71?

We are proud to add this no-nonsense defender to our roster. Next team has been PM'd.

Greyed out to signify that it is no longer valid

Last edited by seventieslord: 08-19-2008 at 06:14 PM.
Old
08-19-2008, 01:51 PM
pitseleh

Unfortunately seventieslord, Dupont was selected in the ATD:

518 Philadelphia Flyers Andre Dupont D

I was going to be kicking myself if he was still available.

Old
08-19-2008, 01:56 PM
seventieslord

Oh jeez, how did I miss that?

VCL has been PM'd so if he picks before me, so be it. I have to run for a while.