HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shanny rumors persist

Old
08-19-2008, 04:24 PM
Radek27

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
I would rather see what Dane Byers can do this season than bring back Shanny.

Radek27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2008, 01:53 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Dont give me the ******** about taking a lesser role, or whatever. How many of you people were clamoring for Messier to come back at a lesser role? NONE. Why? because you knew it wouldnt work that way. A player of that stature, of that presence DEMANDS a greater role, even if he doesnt say anything, hell even if he says all the right things, when push comes to shove, Renney will look to Shanahan to lead the way, and if his ass is playing on the 3rd or 4th line, then either that line is getting WAY too much ice time, or he will be bumped up to a higher line. Dont fool yourselves people.
Terrific post Inferno, agreed 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDubinskyNYR17 View Post
i like both players but i think the edge goes to shanny. if gomez or drury got knocked down would sundin drop the gloves?? i doubt it. shanny is useful into changing momentum when needed and comes to the aid of a teammate. that brings the team together and helps on the ice as well.
You would rather have Shanny over Sundin? Because Shanny fought Brash 2 years ago?

Last edited by TomLaidlaw: 08-20-2008 at 02:38 PM.
TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2008, 02:40 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
Terrific post Inferno, agreed 100%.

You would rather have Shanny over Sundin? Because Shanny fought Brash 2 years ago?

shanny also knows how to win in the playoffs.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2008, 03:14 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Uh-huh. And it showed the past two seasons.

08-20-2008, 03:22 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
By doing what, exactly? Being completely gassed by the time the playoffs rolled around? Skating in quicksand?

Shanny may know how to win, but his body no longer has the ability.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 10:46 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Off Yahoo sports:

I haven't spoken directly with any other teams," Shanahan said. "But the ones that have contacted my agent have all been told the same thing: ‘My focus remains on working something out with New York and we're still talking with Glen Sather.'"

... But Rangers GM Glen Sather has refused to close the door on a Shanahan return. And Shanahan remains determined to play a third season with the Rangers - even if it means taking a dramatic pay cut from the $5 million he made last season to approximately $1 million.

Shanahan has enrolled his three young children in a Manhattan private school. And he and his wife Catherine have determined that, no matter what, the family will live in the city this year."

08-21-2008, 11:11 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I love Shanahan but the only scenario i want him on this team is if there are injuries or the thrid line isnt working out, they can't get anyone at the deadline, they are in a serious playoff run and hes fresh and ready to go sometime in February.

Much too much to ask for IMO.

Love the guy, but i dont want him on this squad. Doesnt fit, and if he is signed I have a feeling he wont be playing a lesser role when the starting squad is iced by Renney.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 11:38 AM
clmetsfan

The idea of having another season where every 5-on-3 features Shanny standing at the top of the slot with his stick cocked in firing position makes me want to cry.

I love the guy, but if he's so intent on having a future with the organization, please let it be as a coach. I know he was hurt last year, but that only means he's even more likely to get hurt again if he comes back.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 11:59 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

[QUOTE=PromNite;15211215]By doing what, exactly? Being completely gassed by the time the playoffs rolled around? Skating in quicksand?

Shanny may know how to win, but his body no longer has the ability.[/
QUOTE]

well that is renney's fault for playing him too much.

Old
08-21-2008, 12:43 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
[QUOTE=BDubinskyNYR17;15218392]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post
By doing what, exactly? Being completely gassed by the time the playoffs rolled around? Skating in quicksand?

Shanny may know how to win, but his body no longer has the ability.[/
QUOTE]

well that is renney's fault for playing him too much.

He's got to play him. You never know when they might need him to drop the gloves.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 01:08 PM
Rangers2319

i want shanny back the hell wit some of the young players 90% of them dont even play out to be decent players, its all a big hype, look at our past

Rangers2319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 01:11 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers2319 View Post
look at our past

Are you referring to the seven seasons without a playoff birth?

Old
08-21-2008, 01:19 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Are you referring to the seven seasons without a playoff birth?
i know right.

Rangers w/o integrating any youth, almost a decade without playoffs.

Rangers w/ integrating youth, playoffs for 3 straight years.

Its all big hype? Well considering that Henrik, Prucha, Dawes, Cally, Dubinsky, Staal, Tyutin, Hollweg, and for all intents and purposes Girardi were all home grown players playing regular, important minutes on last years team, id consider the hype awfully justified.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 01:25 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post

He's got to play him. You never know when they might need him to drop the gloves.
exactly, it's all jagr's fault obviously

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 01:27 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
I would rather see what Dane Byers can do this season than bring back Shanny.
I would rather see what Dane Byers can do this season than bring back Shanahan OR bring Sundin in.

And I have no praise for Byers whatsoever, and couldn't care less if he ever played for the Rangers.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 04:21 PM
Rangers2319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i know right.

Rangers w/o integrating any youth, almost a decade without playoffs.

Rangers w/ integrating youth, playoffs for 3 straight years.

Its all big hype? Well considering that Henrik, Prucha, Dawes, Cally, Dubinsky, Staal, Tyutin, Hollweg, and for all intents and purposes Girardi were all home grown players playing regular, important minutes on last years team, id consider the hype awfully justified.
ill give you henrik, dubinsky and staal, but dawes, prucha and cally are way overrated and will never turn into a legit 2nd liner 20 minute player, id trade away prucha to make room for shanny

byers is a joke, hollweg was a joke, tyutin is OK, girardi is OK but those 2 players are defenceman this is the 4 lines we are talking here so cant really count defenceman in this..

cherepanov is overrated and talked about like hes the next kovalchuk, hell be the next pavel brendl

even with shannys play he was 3rd on the team with goals, even dubinsky on the first line with jagr couldnt even score 20 goals, none of those 3rd line players scored even close to 20, that includes cally, dawes and the rest of them, and dawes even played the 2nd line.. even gomez couldnt score 20 goals, so jeezzz man

Last edited by Rangers2319: 08-21-2008 at 04:27 PM.
Rangers2319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 04:56 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
ill give you henrik, dubinsky and staal, but dawes, prucha and cally are way overrated and will never turn into a legit 2nd liner 20 minute player, id trade away prucha to make room for shanny

byers is a joke, hollweg was a joke, tyutin is OK, girardi is OK but those 2 players are defenceman this is the 4 lines we are talking here so cant really count defenceman in this..

cherepanov is overrated and talked about like hes the next kovalchuk, hell be the next pavel brendl

even with shannys play he was 3rd on the team with goals, even dubinsky on the first line with jagr couldnt even score 20 goals, none of those 3rd line players scored even close to 20, that includes cally, dawes and the rest of them, and dawes even played the 2nd line.. even gomez couldnt score 20 goals, so jeezzz man

Amazingly short-sighted way of looking at it. You can't mention three core players and then dismiss the value of prospects — especially in the era of a salary cap.

You can kill Hollweg all you want (and I'm not a fan either) but in a salary cap era, he filled a role cheaply. And a former 8th round pick was turned into a fifth round pick.

And while every pick will not pan out, and Lundqvist, Dubinsky and Staal might be the exception, you have to keep trying to add young kids as the more chances you take the greated the chance you find another Lundqvist, Dubinsky or Staal.

But the biggest thing you seem to be missing is a player can be valuable to his team without being a star — or scoring goals. If Ryan Callahan can play a smart, gritty game, foecheck hard, take the body and kill penalties as a 3rd liner, that's damn valuable. Add in that he could pot 12-15 goals, and you've a very important player. And I believe Dawes can be a 20 goals scorer. He scored 14 last year in really his first full season despite only playing 61 games and not getting PP time. Oh yeah, and they can both improve.

The Cherepanov comment I'll leave alone — unless, of course you've seen him play on a number of occasions, in which I would love the hear all you have to say about him.

Old
08-21-2008, 05:17 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:

byers is a joke (Why, what is your basis for saying this? how many times have you actually seen him play?), hollweg was a joke, tyutin is OK (OK? he turned into Nikolai Zherdev, a former 4th overall pick and multiple 20+ goal scorer before the age of 23, hes gotta be a little more than "OK" to net a player of that value), girardi is OK (based on what? being 23rd in the ENTIRE NHL in goals scored by a defenseman? That means not every team has even 1 defenseman who scored more goals than him, thats gotta be a little more than "OK") but those 2 players are defenceman this is the 4 lines we are talking here so cant really count defenceman in this.. (Of course you can count defenseman, defense is one of the most important things in hockey. The Ducks won a cup thanks mostly to 2 nearly ungodly defenseman)

cherepanov is overrated and talked about like hes the next kovalchuk, hell be the next pavel brendl (based on what exactly? how many times have you actually seen him? Ive seen him a dozen times or more, and even I am not sure what we will get out of him. Just as the people labeling him as the next messiah may be short sighted, you labeling him the next Pavel Brendl is just completely ignorant on your part.)

even with shannys play he was 3rd on the team with goals, (the vast majority of which came in the first half of the season, as usual his old legs wore down, and quickly. during the second half of the season he had something like 4 goals) even dubinsky on the first line with jagr couldnt even score 20 goals (Dubinsky played about 25 or 30 games, in his FIRST year in the NHL on the first line. Seriously, do you know how many kids can come up and push themselves onto the first line on a playoff team pushing himself over the likes of Gomez, Drury and Shanahan, If you cant even recognize the significance of this, I really pity you), none of those 3rd line players scored even close to 20, that includes cally, dawes and the rest of them, and dawes even played the 2nd line..(Ryan Callahan has played 66 NHL games and has scored 12 goals. Thats playing 3rd line minutes, ZERO power play minutes, and playing an up tempo energy game, what part of that doesnt show his supreme value to this team? He hasnt even played the equivalent of a full season and youre already pigeonholing him as a certain type of player, have you seen him in Hartford? Ryan Callahan in my personal opinion, scoring 20 goals, is more valuable to this team than Petr Prucha scoring 30 goals. His game is SO much more than just scoring goals. And Nigel Dawes? last year 14 goals in 61 GP, extrapolate to 82 games thats 19 goals buddy boy, and thats, again, in his first year in the NHL. You clearly are not seeing the significance of making the jump from the AHL and making an impact. Its not like everyone is a Crosby or Ovechkin, we're talking 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th round picks here who are making REAL impact in their FIRST YEAR in the NHL. Do you comprehend how amazing that is? MOST of the leagues elite players are first rounders, We have 1 elite player who was a 7th rounder, and we have a burgeoning superstar shutdown defenseman who was a very late first rounder, not to mention the rest of the players all playing important minutes, all drafted much lower in the draft. How anyone cannot see this is incomprehensible.) even gomez couldnt score 20 goals, so jeezzz man (Gomez is what he is, a playmaker, if you were expecting him to be a 30+ goal scorer, then youve got a serious problem. he was also 11th amongst NHL forwards in assists last year. THAT is his game. While im not a huge fan of his, i recognize his strengths....and his weaknesses. Dont call him out on goals and neglect his playmaking. Mention both, or it weakens your argument considerably)
See bold stuff above for response.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 05:18 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:

prucha perhaps, but whos overrating dawes and callahan? both are young players who seem to have found their respective roles on this team. dawes as a young scorer/sniper with great hands and cally as a gritty 3rd line checker type who can score. to say they will NEVER do this or that is silly and premature at best. period.

byers is a joke based upon what? so then dubinski was a joke too at that point in his career as well? how can one make that determination with certainty?

and for comparing chery with brendl, again, this statement is conjecture. purely opinion. based upon what? poorly translated russian articles.

um, shanys play slipped. alot. yes he scored goals but second half production fell dramatically. watching his old man legs try to keep up was at times simply painful and cost us odd man rushes against frequently. id be willing to bet that nigel dawes has more goals in him this season than would an even healthy shanny given equal minutes on the same line. in fact, im certain. shannys best days are way behind him, forget playing top 6 minutes and jsut the thought of him on the 3rd or 4th line is crazy. this team needs more than shanny can offer at this stage of his hall of fame career. period.

Last edited by offdacrossbar: 08-21-2008 at 05:23 PM.
offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 06:53 PM
Fletch

I love the Summertime...

if we're going off topic to talk about kids, I'll chime in. Every organization has their share of suspects, as do the Rangers. Every organization has their share of surprises, as do the Rangers.

Dawes - sure, he hasn't proved himself. I think he did show that he can keep up in the NHL and he does have a scoring touch. Perhaps he's not a top six forward, but perhaps he's a guy who can play 13-14 minutes on a third line and get 15-20 goals who can fill in as a top six forward in case of injuries (read: depth). At worse, I think the Rangers may have that.

Girardi - OK, he's not a top pair defenseman. But, he did OK playing mostly against top lines last season. Could he be a solid second pair defenseman? Why not. At worst, he's an NHL defenseman, I think it's pretty safe to say that.

Cally - the kid has character and returned as an improved player. Was sent down, which was hard on him, but he worked hard and came back up. He put up enough points to say he's a third line grinder who will give you an energy shift each time. Anything wrong with that?

Prucha - how's he overrated? Everyone wants him traded.

Byers - I'm also skeptical of him, but could he be an improvement over Hollweg on a fourth line? It's possible.

Also on the four lines is Zherdev. He's put up points and is young, no?
Hollweg and Tyutin are gone - who cares?

OK, Cherepanov's a bust - perhaps Del Zotto isn't and Sanguinetti isn't and perhaps the Rangers have a surplus of good, as well as young, defensemen in a couple years and can get a young, top 6 forward.

Back on topic - Gotta say no to Shanny, but only because of Renney, not because of Shanny. It's clear he cannot handle 18 minutes per night for an entire season. He had no gas left in the tank by the end of the season and in the playoffs. Renney finally figured this out and cut his playing time in the playoffs. It was similar to when Mess was here - if the coach had played him 15 minutes per night, he would've been fine. 20 minutes was too much and he couldn't handle it. His load was lessened towards the end of his tenure and his play in his last season was actually quite good.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 08:19 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

i dint want to start a new thread so this is a bit off topic but i thought you guys might like reading it

its from q & a with david clarson, your guys favourite player

Quote:
After this year's final playoff game against the Rangers you were in the lineup shaking hands with everyone, but you were stopped with Brendan Shanahan for a while. What did he say to you?

Sal and Dana
Howell, N.J.

DC: I wasn't in the best of moods after we lost that series, but both of us grew up in Mimico, Ontario. I went to his hockey school when I was a kid from the age of eight to 13, and he mentioned after the series that his mother had called him about a week earlier to tell him I was from the same hometown. He touched on that and told me to keep working hard.
hes a good guy, i actually like him unlike another former devil that is currently on your roster

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 08:57 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
i dint want to start a new thread so this is a bit off topic but i thought you guys might like reading it

hes a good guy, i actually like him unlike another former devil that is currently on your roster
haha, good to know, now maybe Slats should bring him back.

From earlier in this thread someone posted saying that Shanny would take a 1 million dollar offer to stay with the Rangers, if im slats i look at other 1 million dollar players on the team Rissmiller, and Voros. Shanny >>>>>> Rissmiller, Voros combined. If you just send Rissmiller down to Hartford and have Shanny play 3rd line with any of Dubinsky, Fritsche, and Callahan i think it can work out, and if we are still in on Sundin, give him an offer of ~3 mil and trade off Prucha. I know none of this will happen but:

Naslund-Sundin-Zherdev
Dawes-Gomez-Drury
Shanny-Dubinsky-Fritsche/Callahan
Orr/Voros-Betts-Callahan/Sjostrom/Fritsche

Staal-Rozsival
Redden-Girardi
Mara-Kalinin
Pock

I wouldnt mind going into the season with that roster.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 02:45 AM
NYR Viper

shanahan is a step backwards.......

naslund-gomez-fritsche/callahan
dawes-drury-zherdev
sjostrom-dubinsky-fritsche/callahan
voros-betts-rissmiller/orr

prucha=traded

that lineup looks better than one with shanahan in it

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 07:57 AM
UnderPSI
Formerly YMMV

Quote:

naslund-gomez-fritsche/callahan
We are in serious trouble if that is our top winger...

It also doesn't help that we have an over abundence amount of 3rd/4th line players.

UnderPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 09:33 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post

i like clarkson, one guy i hated was jansenns, i remember he knocking out kaberle i think it was him, with a cheap shot, i cant believe they got salvador for him. i wanted salvador over backcrap at the deadline but hey at least we got Dan Fritsche great work slats.