HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Eagles 2008

Closed Thread

Old
08-18-2008, 10:12 PM
mm6492

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by socraticirony View Post
Hasn't Boldin been demanding out of Arizona for months now? I'd gladly give up one of our #1 picks in next year's draft for him. Now there's a guy who makes this team an actual Super Bowl contender.

1. Boldin
2. Curtis
3. Brown
4. Jackson
5. Avant/Baskett
6. Lewis

The Cowboys getting him would be damn near cataclysmic. Ok, that's hyperbole, but you get what I'm saying.

we would probally have to give up lito and a 1st or 2nd

This would be sacraficing a great secondary to a normal one but it would elevate this offense

Old
08-19-2008, 03:27 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
They just sent out a memo at work that said we could wear football jerseys on sunday. Im going to have to dust off the old Terrell Owens jersey.

Old
08-19-2008, 03:54 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
we would probally have to give up lito and a 1st or 2nd

This would be sacraficing a great secondary to a normal one but it would elevate this offense
I'd send Lito, Avant, and a 2nd for Boldin and (if necessary) one of their scrub CBs.

Old
08-19-2008, 04:35 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
I'd send Lito, Avant, and a 2nd for Boldin and (if necessary) one of their scrub CBs.
We have two first round picks in 2009, one of which would surely have to be given up in a trade for Anquan... Avant and a disgruntled Lito (without a new contract) is not enough to warrant making that #1 into a #2.

I'd trade Lito, Avant, and a #1 in '09 and never look back.

Old
08-19-2008, 05:38 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by socraticirony View Post
We have two first round picks in 2009, one of which would surely have to be given up in a trade for Anquan... Avant and a disgruntled Lito (without a new contract) is not enough to warrant making that #1 into a #2.

I'd trade Lito, Avant, and a #1 in '09 and never look back.
I'd consider sending the Eagles' 1st, but that is a lot. Paolantonio just got done saying that he would never send a 1st out for Boldin.

Old
08-20-2008, 02:12 AM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
I'd consider sending the Eagles' 1st, but that is a lot. Paolantonio just got done saying that he would never send a 1st out for Boldin.
then paolantonio is a moron. especially if it's the eagles first round pick. under Reid the only really good 1st round picks have been McNabb and Andrews (too soon to tell for Patterson and Bunkley but they really don't look like they are panning out as planned).

on the other hand Boldin is a proven commodity. you could argue he has inflated numbers because Fitzgerald absorbs more coverage, but you could also say he might get less looks because Fitzgerald is there. It's a chicken and the egg scenario. what really matters is that he has done more than any receiver the Eagles have right now and he is in the midst of his prime years.

i don't want the Eagles to draft a receiver who, if we're lucky, will be able to produce for us in 3 years. the window is closing, if the Cardinals do put Boldin on the block the Eagles should be at the front of the line with their offer.

Old
08-20-2008, 08:51 AM
IrishSniper87

This morning (or last night) Boldin demanded to the front office that he be traded.

Hopefully to us.

Old
08-20-2008, 09:25 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Give up the 1st for Boldin. This year is probably McNabb's last shot, if not next year.

Old
08-20-2008, 09:39 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Give up the 1st for Boldin. This year is probably McNabb's last shot with Philadelphia.
Fixed

Old
08-20-2008, 09:58 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Yeah, with the Eagles for sure.

I'm anticipating when he leaves within the next few years and he goes to a team that actually gives him some wide-outs to throw to and watch everyone here sulk about it.

Old
08-20-2008, 10:04 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Yeah, with the Eagles for sure.

I'm anticipating when he leaves within the next few years and he goes to a team that actually gives him some wide-outs to throw to and watch everyone here sulk about it.
I won't sulk much, he will be overthrowing those new wideouts like he overthrows our current ones! lol.

In all seriousness, I don't want to see McNabb playing for another team while we have Kevin Kolb behind Center. I'm not sold on Kolb AT ALL.

Old
08-20-2008, 11:00 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
...whatever.

You said:

Unless they started coaching him in HS, that statement was false. I think the guy may own a college record for receptions out of the backfield. His main marketable skill coming into the draft was...the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield, as people questioned whether he was big enough to take the wear and tear of carrying the ball on a regular basis.

Eagles are a very good coaching staff, but Westbrook was the exact same type of player in college that he has been in the pros.
I dont think it was ever a question he would be an option to catch the ball out of the backfield but I dont think anyone thought he would be the eagles best receiver and I dont think he would be the #1 option to throw the ball to if he started his career with most teams other than the eagles and maybe a couple others. In that sense the eagles did make him into that kind of receiver because of their style of play.

Old
08-20-2008, 11:06 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
I dont think it was ever a question he would be an option to catch the ball out of the backfield but I dont think anyone thought he would be the eagles best receiver and I dont think he would be the #1 option to throw the ball to if he started his career with most teams other than the eagles and maybe a couple others. In that sense the eagles did make him into that kind of receiver because of their style of play.
That's the exact type of player he was in college...which is what contradicts the original point.

The Eagles certainly run an offense that throws a lot of screen and dump-off passes, and is capable of taking advantage of Westbrook's offensive skill-set (as opposed to the offense that a team like Washington has been running the last few years), but the Eagles didn't turn him into some dual-purpose receiver. Westbrook is the exact type of player now that he was in college, the question was merely whether his game would translate to the NFL due to size. That his dynamic style of play has translated so well is more an indication of scouts not appreciating his game as a college player, not the ability of the Eagles to teach him a new skill-set.

Old
08-20-2008, 11:25 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
That's the exact type of player he was in college...which is what contradicts the original point.

The Eagles certainly run an offense that throws a lot of screen and dump-off passes, and is capable of taking advantage of Westbrook's offensive skill-set (as opposed to the offense that a team like Washington has been running the last few years), but the Eagles didn't turn him into some dual-purpose receiver. Westbrook is the exact type of player now that he was in college, the question was merely whether his game would translate to the NFL due to size. That his dynamic style of play has translated so well is more an indication of scouts not appreciating his game as a college player, not the ability of the Eagles to teach him a new skill-set.
I never said anything about him being different in college or the eagles teaching him a new skill set...at all.

All I said is that it was a surprise that out best receiver and msot used receiver was lining up in the backfield and I dont think that when they drafted him they were thinking "ok great, we got a #1 receiver". I never questioned his style of play, i simply said that he was able to become such a dominant receiver in the NFL because of the eagles style.

Old
08-20-2008, 11:30 AM
Jester

Quote:
I never said anything about him being different in college or the eagles teaching him a new skill set...at all.

All I said is that it was a surprise that out best receiver and msot used receiver was lining up in the backfield and I dont think that when they drafted him they were thinking "ok great, we got a #1 receiver". I never questioned his style of play, i simply said that he was able to become such a dominant receiver in the NFL because of the eagles style.
The discussion you entered was centered on the claim that the Eagles "turned Wesbrook into" a pass-catching RB...

He's not really a "dominant" receiver...he's a good receiving back, and benefits greatly from the fact that the Eagles love to run screens. The larger point, and relevant to other discussions in this thread, is the Eagles general lack of other viable options in the passing game. They've lacked any consistent presence at the TE position (a key part of the classic West Coast offense), and outside of Owens they've filled their receiver positions with no. 2 or no. 3 receivers.

Suddenly...throwing the ball to your RB becomes more of an option in those circumstances.

Old
08-20-2008, 11:53 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1333
Thread is now stickied.

Old
08-20-2008, 11:56 AM
orange and black48
BUTTHEAD!

**** the haters.

Go McNabb. Bring us back to the SuperBowl like I know you can!

Old
08-20-2008, 12:01 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
If they trade for Anquan Boldin, this could be a mildly interesting team.

Assuming Andrews comes back okay, the O-line would look good, they have some nice RBs, and a WR top-4 of Boldin, Curtis, Jackson, Brown is nothing to sneeze at.

The defense could be pretty good as well, that LB corps is like the Flyers defense, lots of potential, but lots of questions as well.

Old
08-20-2008, 12:09 PM
IrishSniper87

I say, Boldin for one of the Eagles 1st Round picks, straight up.

All we need is to avoid the injury bug and guaranteed we make it to at least the NFC championship game.

If only football was that simple.

We probably face tons of injuries and get lucky to make it that far.

Old
08-20-2008, 02:01 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
The discussion you entered was centered on the claim that the Eagles "turned Wesbrook into" a pass-catching RB...

He's not really a "dominant" receiver...he's a good receiving back, and benefits greatly from the fact that the Eagles love to run screens. The larger point, and relevant to other discussions in this thread, is the Eagles general lack of other viable options in the passing game. They've lacked any consistent presence at the TE position (a key part of the classic West Coast offense), and outside of Owens they've filled their receiver positions with no. 2 or no. 3 receivers.

Suddenly...throwing the ball to your RB becomes more of an option in those circumstances.
Just because I entered a discussion with one person saying he thinks the eagles made westbrook a good receiver doesnt mean I was taking any sides. I was simply pointing out that he was nto expected to dominate the way he has the last couple seasons. Yes he has dominated. You can say its the eagles system or whatever but its not like any average back could do what he has. Plus a big reason why the eagles have been going out and getting 2nd rate receivers is because they feel with westbrook they dotn need anyone exceptional. If the had a power back they would obviously be much more in need of a good receiver.

Old
08-20-2008, 02:04 PM
Jester

Quote:
Just because I entered a discussion with one person saying he thinks the eagles made westbrook a good receiver doesnt mean I was taking any sides. I was simply pointing out that he was nto expected to dominate the way he has the last couple seasons. Yes he has dominated. You can say its the eagles system or whatever but its not like any average back could do what he has. Plus a big reason why the eagles have been going out and getting 2nd rate receivers is because they feel with westbrook they dotn need anyone exceptional. If the had a power back they would obviously be much more in need of a good receiver.
Brian Westbrook has dominated as RB who is dangerous in all areas of the field. He is not a "#1 receiver" as you termed him by any definition of such in the NFL.

Andy Reid's disdain for top-end receivers pre-dates Westbrook and can be traced back to when he was coaching in Green Bay.

You also used the terminology, "The Eagles turned him into that type of receiver..." The guy had a 1,000 yard receiving season at Villanova if I recall correctly. They just took advantage of him, it's as simple as that.

Old
08-20-2008, 02:08 PM
IrishSniper87

This just in, Kevin Curtis to have sports hernia surgery. Out "for a while."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/traini...ory?id=3544707

Old
08-20-2008, 02:09 PM
IrishSniper87

Oh yeah, and Reggie Brown has a strained hamstring that will keep him out for a bit also.

1st for Boldin sounds even sweeter.

Old
08-20-2008, 02:29 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Boldin for Lito + a 1 has to happen now.

Old
08-20-2008, 02:32 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Quote:
Boldin for Lito + a 1 has to happen now.
Would absolutely love that. But if we put in Lito, maybe we can get the 1st to become a 2nd.

Closed Thread