HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Line Combos?

Old
07-29-2008, 04:08 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
couple things.

assuming no top 6 wing is coming before start of season, who are our top 6 forwards on the team right now based upon career numbers, offensive upside and overall talent, in order.

drury
gomez
naslund
zherdev
dubinski
dawes

anyone disagree that those are our top 6 right now.

yes, prucha is close but that is more a measure of dubi and dawes being almost rookies as much as anything else- certaily not that hes any better than those two. point being, not sure prucha belongs in the top 6 at all and certainly freddie doesnt. prucha although game, just doesnt excite me as a top 6 guy. he just doesnt do anyone thing that well. dawes has better hands than pru. better shot than pru and is a better passer. period. look at dawes career stats, goal scorer at every level. dare i say- sniper?

i dunno, at this stage, with a team desperate for offensive firepower, i just can't see putting dawes' potential above prucha's proven goal scoring abilities. he's done it before, and i see no reason why, given the opportunity, he can't do it again...

RANGERS =
we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 04:20 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
i dunno, at this stage, with a team desperate for offensive firepower, i just can't see putting dawes' potential above prucha's proven goal scoring abilities. he's done it before, and i see no reason why, given the opportunity, he can't do it again...

5 on 5 whos better? dawes imo. majority of pruchas goals 2 yrs ago were pp goals too.

even strength, i think dawes is the better player. still say his passing is excellent now and will get even better, he has a very quick and accurate shot and although small, is built like a tank so he can maneuver in tight spots and not get blown out like petr. petr was never, ever considered a goal scorer in the cr, yet dawes has been a goal scorer every year from juniors to the a and now with the big boys. he just scores goal scorer goals- ask marty....

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 10:13 PM
NYR Viper

i have said it many times, but does anyone else notice how the rangers seem to like players who are more than one dimension?.......giving players like gomez, drury, redden, rozsival big money over players like briere and campbell....

who is left on the team that is one dimensional?
prucha
betts
orr
zherdev

i think it is safe to say that zherdev and orr solve serious holes on the team so they wont be going anywhere.....however, look at the players the rangers have as depth fighting for the same spots with the other two......

4th line center:
fritsche
rissmiller
moore

2nd/3rd line winger:
fritsche
callahan
sjostrom
korpikoski
voros
rissmiller
anisimov

realistically, with the way this team is moving i see prucha and betts(no matter how popular they are around here) to be the two players who are going to be beaten out on a spot as the rangers NEED more offensive production from their 4th line and they need something more than just a garbage goal scorer on their top three lines.....

naslund-gomez-zherdev
dawes-drury-sjostrom
callahan-dubinsky-fritsche
voros-rissmiller-orr
prucha

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 12:27 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
i have said it many times, but does anyone else notice how the rangers seem to like players who are more than one dimension?.......giving players like gomez, drury, redden, rozsival big money over players like briere and campbell....

who is left on the team that is one dimensional?
prucha
betts
orr
zherdev

i think it is safe to say that zherdev and orr solve serious holes on the team so they wont be going anywhere.....however, look at the players the rangers have as depth fighting for the same spots with the other two......

4th line center:
fritsche
rissmiller
moore

2nd/3rd line winger:
fritsche
callahan
sjostrom
korpikoski
voros
rissmiller
anisimov

realistically, with the way this team is moving i see prucha and betts(no matter how popular they are around here) to be the two players who are going to be beaten out on a spot as the rangers NEED more offensive production from their 4th line and they need something more than just a garbage goal scorer on their top three lines.....

naslund-gomez-zherdev
dawes-drury-sjostrom
callahan-dubinsky-fritsche
voros-rissmiller-orr
prucha
Prucha is proven and Better than Sjostrom! why does everyone hate him. id make a lineup like this

Nazzy-Gomer-Pru
Dawes-Dru-Zherdev
Fritsche-Dubi-Cally/Sjo
Orr/Voros-Betts-Sjo/Cally

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 11:55 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
Prucha is proven and Better than Sjostrom! why does everyone hate him. id make a lineup like this

Nazzy-Gomer-Pru
Dawes-Dru-Zherdev
Fritsche-Dubi-Cally/Sjo

the problem is that prucha, IMO will not fit onto a line with drury.....prucha is not a playmaker and that is the type of player drury works well with......so he would have to be with gomez....and i dont see him being ready to play top-minutes with gomez and against the other teams best defenses....if he plays it should be on the third line......

naslund-gomez-zherdev
dawes-drury-fritsche
callahan-dubinsky-sjostrom
voros-betts-rissmiller
orr, prucha

and yes, i think sjostrom brings more to the table than prucha

Old
08-01-2008, 10:16 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post

Nazzy-Gomer-Pru
Dawes-Dru-Zherdev
Fritsche-Dubi-Cally/Sjo
For someone who loves Prucha so much, you put him out of position quite a bit.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 10:48 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
and yes, i think sjostrom brings more to the table than prucha
Really? On his utmost best day, Sjostrom is a 3rd line player. And that is on his best of best days. On most days, he is nothing but a fast 4th liner. Which plays into the next point. You are deluding yourself if you think that Orr will not man a spot as a 4th line wing on virtually every night. Nor did Sather bring Voros over here and pay him not to play. I think that the 4th line will be Voros-Betts-Orr.

As far as I am concerned, Sjostrom is the odd man out. Callahan and Fritshe bring more to a 3rd line role and this team will need all the physical play it can get from it's 4th liners.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 01:58 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Really? On his utmost best day, Sjostrom is a 3rd line player. And that is on his best of best days. On most days, he is nothing but a fast 4th liner. Which plays into the next point. You are deluding yourself if you think that Orr will not man a spot as a 4th line wing on virtually every night. Nor did Sather bring Voros over here and pay him not to play. I think that the 4th line will be Voros-Betts-Orr.

As far as I am concerned, Sjostrom is the odd man out. Callahan and Fritshe bring more to a 3rd line role and this team will need all the physical play it can get from it's 4th liners.
i would take sjostroms speed and better physical play and much better all around game to pruchas so-so offensive game.....i dont think he fits the 2nd line with drury and i think he would get killed on the first line.......honestly, i see sjostrom and prucha having about the same offensive skillset with sjostrom being bigger, stronger and a better defensive player..........i know people will tell me how he got 30 goals and 22 goals in his first two season but that was playing with jagr......because most of his goals were wide open on the far post...

Old
08-20-2008, 03:43 PM
nyr33

Naslund-Gomez-Dawes
Prucha-Drury-Zherdev
Fritche-Dubinsky-Callahan
Voros-Betts-Sjostrom
Orr, Rissmiller

looks pretty solid to me.

nyr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2008, 09:19 PM
nyr33

wow, when did Sjostrom become a 2nd line player?
He'll be lucky to make the team

nyr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 07:32 AM
Fletch

nyr...

isn't Dawes a left winger? Also, signing Rissmiller to a $1MM contract seems like a waste of cap space - I would have to assume there's a guy out there making $500k that would be better-suited to be th 13th or 14th forward. In other words, if NYR's plans were to have Rissmiller be the 13th or 14th guy, or if he ends up being that, then it would've been a pretty wasted UFA signing.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 08:06 AM
ZenBaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr33 View Post
wow, when did Sjostrom become a 2nd line player?
He'll be lucky to make the team
Unlikely. The coach loves Sjostrom. Have you not followed the team in years?

ZenBaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 09:56 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenBaja View Post
Unlikely. The coach loves Sjostrom. Have you not followed the team in years?
Years? Sjostrom has only been a Ranger for 5 or 6 months..

I can't even guess at a lineup if I have to fit all of those spare players in the bottom six.

Old
08-21-2008, 10:50 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Everyones line combos are missing the Shanahan. He will be in the bottom 6, maybe even platoon to limit the wear and tear, but he will be a NY Ranger on opening night.

Prepare yourselves.

Prucha-Gomez-Naslund
Dawes-Drury-Zherdev
Fritche-Dubinsky-Shanahan/Callahan
Voros-Betts-Sjostrom/Orr

Rissmiller

08-21-2008, 11:17 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I can't even guess at a lineup if I have to fit all of those spare players in the bottom six.
Dubinsky, Callahan, Fritsche, Betts and Sjostrom are probably a lock when it comes to bottom six. I'd be surprised if I don't see all of them on opening night

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 11:19 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Dubinsky, Callahan, Fritsche, Betts and Sjostrom are probably a lock when it comes to bottom six. I'd be surprised if I don't see all of them on opening night
Really looking forward to see if that Fritsche - Dubinsky - Callahan line comes to fruition.

Hopefully Shanny isnt signed so theres a better shot of that happening.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 12:02 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
Everyones line combos are missing the Shanahan. He will be in the bottom 6, maybe even platoon to limit the wear and tear, but he will be a NY Ranger on opening night.

Prepare yourselves.

Prucha-Gomez-Naslund
Dawes-Drury-Zherdev
Fritche-Dubinsky-Shanahan/Callahan
Voros-Betts-Sjostrom/Orr

Rissmiller
so we spent 1 mil on a player who is an extra depth guy we could have brought jason krog back for less money and if not playing, would be able to help the wolfpack as far as leadership goes.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 12:09 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDubinskyNYR17 View Post
so we spent 1 mil on a player who is an extra depth guy we could have brought jason krog back for less money and if not playing, would be able to help the wolfpack as far as leadership goes.
Yeah, kinda puzzling why both of those guys were signed, but hey they are here and they give the Rangers pretty good depth on the 4th line.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 12:19 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Yeah, kinda puzzling why both of those guys were signed, but hey they are here and they give the Rangers pretty good depth on the 4th line.
well Voros i can understand, cause he brings size, toughness although not a good fighter he at least tries and he has some skill and only 26. Rismiller at 30 for a 4th liner makes no sense, heck id rather bring back marcel hossa if we needed another 4th liner with size

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 12:25 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Slats post lockout M.O.

He signed them because he thinks they were "under" utilized on their previous teams. He's looking for a diamond in the rough, ok maybe an emerald in the rough.

What happens when there are not enough spots? I dont know exactly, but the Rangers are going to have a mighty competitive training camp this fall. And thats a good thing.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 12:34 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Assumed locks:

Centers: Gomez, Drury, Dubinsky, Betts

Wings: Naslund, Zherdev, (Shanahan imo)

Fighting it out in Camp:

Dawes, Prucha, Callahan, Fritsche, Voros, Rissmiller, Sjostrum, Jamtin, Nedved, Byers, Korpikoski, Jessimen, Anisimov, player x

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 01:27 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

At the time I hated the Rissmiller and (to a lesser extent) Voros signings. But after some time to reflect, I've decided that I and others were overreacting:

1) $1MM per player is not that much. People think of it as a magic number because you're shifted from 6 digits to 7, but think about it - would you be that steamed if they'd signed for $950K each? I understand that we're tight up against the cap, but if we don't sign them and, say, Brodie Dupont and Korpikoski make the team instead, there is virtually NO difference in cap hit.

2) Speaking of Dupont and Korpikoski, what if they (or Moore or Jessiman) DO beat them out in camp? Why on earth are people convinced that they will get shafted for Rissmiller and Voros? Because they signed here as UFAs? I don't think so - these are depth signings and there's no way they're (Rissmiller in particular) coming to camp with guaranteed jobs. They're here to make camp competitive for everyone and everyone will benefit. At the end of the day, if they get beat out, why on earth wouldn't we waive them (particularly Rissmiller)? It's not like a second line forward who gets a 5 year $20MM offer from us is going to turn us down because we axed a guy who signed a one year, $1MM deal with us.

3) Rissmiller in particular is also ideal to ride the pine. Of all the younger guys battling for a spot, who would we rather have in the press box? If you're like me, you want them all playing, whether that's on the big club or the AHL affiliate. Rissmiller on the other hand is like Struds - an older guy who's topped out in development and knows his role. The perfect guy to sit until called upon. Of the players we had going into the summer, the only other one that I'm comfortable with in that position is Orr. In my opinion, therefore either Orr or Rissmiller is the extra forward. If they BOTH happen to get beat out in camp, well then one gets cut.

At least that's how I see it.

(Can I add one more "particularly Rissmiller"?)

Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 08-21-2008 at 01:58 PM.
BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 05:59 PM
Fletch

Brf...

if either Rissmiller or Voros are sitting, then I'd be upset. $1MM for a depth player is too much. If they're an everyday player, I'm fine with that. I would've kept Hollweg as a 13th or 14th forward at nearly $500k less. Could come in handy at the end of the season if they need some room for a playoff push trade, or whatever. It would've just been wasted space.

On point #2 - fine point, but I revert to my above statement. If they're sitting on the bench as a depth player, I think the money could've been better spent.

On point #3 - see my first paragraph.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 09:01 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
if either Rissmiller or Voros are sitting, then I'd be upset. $1MM for a depth player is too much. If they're an everyday player, I'm fine with that. I would've kept Hollweg as a 13th or 14th forward at nearly $500k less. Could come in handy at the end of the season if they need some room for a playoff push trade, or whatever. It would've just been wasted space.

On point #2 - fine point, but I revert to my above statement. If they're sitting on the bench as a depth player, I think the money could've been better spent.

On point #3 - see my first paragraph.
Why is it too much? If they beat out all comers, then they've clearly earned their paychecks. If not, they get cut and it's Dolan's money, not yours and mine.

And if Rissmiller winds up as the 13th forward eating up an extra $400K, so what? You need that playoff push trade? Okay, then you demote him prior to the trade.

I just don't think that these depth signings are the problem that people make them out to be. If they wind up getting in the way, it's easy enough to clear them out if you're willing to eat their contracts. And at only $1MM MSG would be willing to eat them - just look at how the Knicks spend money.

Bottom line, I just think this is an example (following up on the Hutchinson/Kaspar example from last year) of the Garden figuring out how to use its pocketbook to its advantage in the salary cap era.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 10:34 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Honestly the guy that bugs me is Sjostrom. He's one of those guys who is solid defensively, but has a decent amount of offensive talent that he can't seem to a handle on. I don't think he's an upgrade over Hossa.

If Anisimov makes it out of camp: (unlikely)
Naslund - Gomez - Dubinsky/Drury
Dawes - Drury/Dubi - Zherdev
Callahan - Anisimov - Fritsche
Voros - Betts - Rissmiller/Orr

Roll with what we have:
Naslund - Gomez - Dubinsky/Drury
Dawes - Drury/Dubi - Zherdev
Callahan - Fritsche - Sjostrom
Voros - Betts - Rissmiller/Orr

I know Fritsche has spent most of his time as a wing and isn't the greatest face-off guy, but I think that can be overlooked if you have 3 very good defensive players on that line. Not to mention Drury could certainly tutor him a bit in that department.