HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cherepanov Max-ELC

Old
08-20-2008, 11:01 PM
squishy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Well there were players that were keeping him on the 2nd line regardless if Jagr was playing there this year or not.
Wait, you mean there were other players on a team that were better than an 18 year old kid? I'm shocked! You're right, he must really suck. Hope he stays in Russia.

Quote:
It also depends on what you consider young. Anton Kuryanov is a youngster, maybe not as young as Alexi, but still pretty young.
Kuryanov is 6 years older than Cherepanov, and not as good.

It's probably best if you just admit you pulled the "he's not the best young player on his own team" statement out of your behind.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2008, 11:04 PM
squishy

Just about every first round pick gets the rookie max. The only question will be what kind of bonuses he gets.

Anisimov wasn't even a first rounder, and he got the max for his draft year. Anyone who expects Cherepanov won't get or doesn't deserve the same is fooling themselves.

Old
08-21-2008, 01:40 AM
eco's bones

I was under the impression that there is pretty much a formula based on what round you were drafted in. Whatever--people automatically had him penciled in on our top two lines expecting him to come over this year. It may in fact be a good thing he didn't--remembering him from draft day he was a very scrawny kid. He may still need to fill out some. Whatever again--what the Rangers will give him is the most they can give him--why?--because of his skill level, because they will have to intice him to leave home.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 01:45 AM
Unk

I don't even see why it's an issue that Cherepanov gets the max ELC + some bonuses. Even assuming Zherdev's on the team next season, we're probably gonna need a 2nd line RW, and a rookie Cherepanov is gonna be a lot cheaper than anything on the FA market (say $1.3 mil versus $3+ mil).

Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 03:25 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I was under the impression that there is pretty much a formula based on what round you were drafted in. Whatever--people automatically had him penciled in on our top two lines expecting him to come over this year. It may in fact be a good thing he didn't--remembering him from draft day he was a very scrawny kid. He may still need to fill out some. Whatever again--what the Rangers will give him is the most they can give him--why?--because of his skill level, because they will have to intice him to leave home.
He was a little scrawny, probably still is, but I also remember some calling him one of, if not the most NHL ready player in that draft. I think he will fare well when he does come over.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 05:39 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Wait, you mean there were other players on a team that were better than an 18 year old kid? I'm shocked! You're right, he must really suck. Hope he stays in Russia.
I never insinuated that, just pointing out that he was not the best player on his own team and that there were better players that kept him on the 2nd line last year and were ahead of him on the depth chart this season coming regardless if Jagr was there or not. The post I responded to stated that he was one of the best players not in the NHL

Personally, with the way this battle with the KHL is shaping up, I would gladly give him the Rook Max. In NY the money is there where in other cities it may be more difficult to do.

Quote:
Kuryanov is 6 years older than Cherepanov, and not as good.
I'd say that Kuryanov right now is probably a little better than Cherry in that he's more polished and more experienced. I do not think that it will remain that way, but there's a reason this team was going to keep Kury on the top line and not replace him with an obviously better Cherepanov

Quote:
It's probably best if you just admit you pulled the "he's not the best young player on his own team" statement out of your behind.
He's still a youngster. I forgot, a 25 year old on HF is considered close to retirement.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 09:39 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Cherepanov will be offered the maximum amount that we can give him for 4 reasons:

1) He is a highly skilled player with 1st line/elite potential
2) He was drafted in the 1st round
3) No matter how much we offer him, the KHL will be able to offer more
4) Giving him the max is still chump change compared to what other players make and will not negatively affect our cap

Lowballing him because you are pissed that he hasn't come over yet is ridiculous. Malkin, Zherdev and Radulov, none of their situations are the same. Malkin and Zherdev came over before Russia changed its laws. People can question the morality of what they did all they want, but the fact remains that they both acted within their legal rights. Radulov is not honoring his contract with Nashville. Cherepanov IS honoring his contract with Omsk.

When this year is done, the Rangers will offer him the max possible ELC and Omsk (and probably other teams in the KHL) will offer him a contract that will very likely exceed what we are able to offer him. At that point, it will be up to Cherepanov to decide between chasing a dream in the NHL or taking the money and comfort of home.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 10:59 AM
squishy

Quote:
I never insinuated that, just pointing out that he was not the best player on his own team and that there were better players that kept him on the 2nd line last year and were ahead of him on the depth chart this season coming regardless if Jagr was there or not.
Where are you getting that? Once Kalyuzhny left this summer, Cherepanov was Omsk's defacto first line right wing for this season -- until Jagr was signed.

Quote:
I'd say that Kuryanov right now is probably a little better than Cherry in that he's more polished and more experienced. I do not think that it will remain that way, but there's a reason this team was going to keep Kury on the top line and not replace him with an obviously better Cherepanov
Kuryanov didn't play on the first line last season (apart from maybe a handful of games at the end of the season when injuries required it). He's been Cherepanov's center for 2 years. So I'm not sure why you think Omsk was going to "keep" him on the top line, or why you think Cherepanov should "replace" him.

Maybe it's Kalyuzhny you're thinking of? He was Omsk's top line right wing last season. He was also 30 years old with 12 years of RSL experience, which I doubt fits even your definition of "young player".

Old
08-21-2008, 11:07 AM
zestystrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Cherepanov will be offered the maximum amount that we can give him for 4 reasons:

1) He is a highly skilled player with 1st line/elite potential
2) He was drafted in the 1st round
3) No matter how much we offer him, the KHL will be able to offer more
4) Giving him the max is still chump change compared to what other players make and will not negatively affect our cap

Lowballing him because you are pissed that he hasn't come over yet is ridiculous. Malkin, Zherdev and Radulov, none of their situations are the same. Malkin and Zherdev came over before Russia changed its laws. People can question the morality of what they did all they want, but the fact remains that they both acted within their legal rights. Radulov is not honoring his contract with Nashville. Cherepanov IS honoring his contract with Omsk.

When this year is done, the Rangers will offer him the max possible ELC and Omsk (and probably other teams in the KHL) will offer him a contract that will very likely exceed what we are able to offer him. At that point, it will be up to Cherepanov to decide between chasing a dream in the NHL or taking the money and comfort of home.
Thx for posting this so I didn't have to. Great post.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 01:15 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post
Just struck me as odd that you're essentially crucifying Malkin for doing the exact same thing that the guy whose jersey you have in your avatar did.
Just making a point that Cherepanov is showing loyalty, which is a good sign for the future.

And he is not causing the Rangers a headache.

He is doing it right. He will come over at 20 years old, with no obligation to another team.

And he will be eligible for international play.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 01:50 PM
Avy*

Not to mention this adorable lad, coffee lover Bardin is the same person who treaded Chistov and Svitov army punishment not so long ago.

Cherepanov need his own section on hfboards. He is too big of landmark in the history of hockey.

Avy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 01:56 PM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
Just making a point that Cherepanov is showing loyalty, which is a good sign for the future.

And he is not causing the Rangers a headache.

He is doing it right. He will come over at 20 years old, with no obligation to another team.

And he will be eligible for international play.
If those were his actual motivations, I'd agree with you. However, I don't think he cares about "showing loyalty" or "doing it right", I think he just didn't want to come over this year.

If he wanted to be here this year, he would be.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote