HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Which of this summers UFA deals are mostly likely to blow up?

Old
08-21-2008, 06:33 PM
llp

vCash: 500
I'll be another one to say Redden. Aside from that Demitra, and Finger were bad signings. Demitra won't produce, and Finger was way overpayed.

llp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 06:41 PM
Pfft

vCash: 50
Huet wasn't a bargain, but his contract is pretty much market value. Letting him go in favour of a slightly cheaper Theodore may well prove to be the determining factor if Washington misses the playoffs. I see this decision as a huge step backwards for the franchise, but for their sake I hope they prove me wrong.

Pfft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 06:44 PM
dubey
The Best (per IIHF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LsquaredCBJ View Post
Campbell, Finger, Huet, Ryder, and Redden are my top 5.

Commodore at 3.75 may be high, but he fits the Blue Jackets mold perfectly, so I don't think his deal will blow up.
lol

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 06:45 PM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by alesmarv View Post
This ones easy for me.
Rolston
Over priced.
4 years till the age of 39
over 35 means NJ will eat the contract no matter what happens to him in the next 4 years.

He is a good player but not worth 5 mill anymore, I would be surprised if he gets 50 points next year and I expect him to get progressively worse over the other 3 years.

Rolston by a long shot for me.
As a Devil fan, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get 50 points either. Point production and Devils don't typically go well together. I mean the team leader only had 65 points last season.

I wouldn't look to much into Rolstons age though. Playing in New Jersey he be asked to be a responsible 2 way forward first and foremost. He'll be asked to utilize his big shot on the powerplay and thats about it....Under those conditions Rolston can thrive for 4 years without a problem.

Most top 6 forward are looked at poorly when they don't put up numbers...Not here in New Jersey We look down on the forwards who don't know how to play defense

JimEIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 06:48 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfft View Post
Huet wasn't a bargain, but his contract is pretty much market value. Letting him go in favour of a slightly cheaper Theodore may well prove to be the determining factor if Washington misses the playoffs. I see this decision as a huge step backwards for the franchise, but for their sake I hope they prove me wrong.
The Capitals got to the playoffs with significantly worse goaltending last year (consider their pace under Boudreau); all Huet did was help them make up for the start under Hanlon.

Needless to say, even if Theo ends up being a step down from Huet (which, considering the number of games they'd be required to start, probably isn't that likely) the Caps under Boudreau will be ok.

Why don't people realize that keeping Huet was not an option at all considering what he was asking for? Theo wanted to be here, Huet didn't, GMGM made the right move to get something done before a bidding war started.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 06:50 PM
The Chef*

I'd say 60% of them.

The Chef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 06:50 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Quote:
Originally Posted by llp View Post
Demitra won't produce
How do you figure?

He produced well enough last year, playing in Minnesota as a center under Lemaire (who demands that his centers play responsible defense, giving them almost zero freedom in the offensive zone) who employs arguably the most defensive system in the league.

What makes you think he won't be able to at least match those numbers playing in Vancouver for a coach whose job basically depends on him moving to a more offensive system?

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 06:51 PM
HankTheTank

Redden is going to be the worst ...... not every guy holds a steady performance to their early 30's. I totally think his best years are long gone

I'm expecting Hossa to have an amazing year for Detroit

HankTheTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 06:54 PM
Nikita Filatov*

Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankTheTank View Post
I'm expecting Hossa to have an amazing year for Detroit
Did anyone say anything about him?

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 06:58 PM
glasgow26

Jeff Finger anyone? though i would guess that he's not expected to make much of an impact in Toronto, but then why pay the guy 3.5 mil? IMO he's getting overpaid by about 2 million dollars. Streit, Redden and Campbel also come to mind.

glasgow26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 07:01 PM
Pfft

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
The Capitals got to the playoffs with significantly worse goaltending last year (consider their pace under Boudreau); all Huet did was help them make up for the start under Hanlon.

Needless to say, even if Theo ends up being a step down from Huet (which, considering the number of games they'd be required to start, probably isn't that likely) the Caps under Boudreau will be ok.

Why don't people realize that keeping Huet was not an option at all considering what he was asking for? Theo wanted to be here, Huet didn't, GMGM made the right move to get something done before a bidding war started.
I'd say that's a slight understatement. Without that acquisition, we'd likely be discussing whether they'll finally make the playoffs this year.

Are there any legitimate sources that claim Huet actually didn't want to stay with the Caps? I recall hearing that he and his agent backed out of the contract they'd proposed but that's not exactly the same thing. I don't know, I guess I thought it was a given he'd sign there--that Washington would do whatever was necessary to keep the positive direction of the franchise rather than gambling on a questionable starting goalie. That said, you of course have quite a few other reasons for optimism.

Pfft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 07:08 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfft View Post
I'd say that's a slight understatement. Without that acquisition, we'd likely be discussing whether they'll finally make the playoffs this year.

Are there any legitimate sources that claim Huet actually didn't want to stay with the Caps? I recall hearing that he and his agent backed out of the contract they'd proposed but that's not exactly the same thing. I don't know, I guess I thought it was a given he'd sign there--that Washington would do whatever was necessary to keep the positive direction of the franchise rather than gambling on a questionable starting goalie. That said, you of course have quite a few other reasons for optimism.
What I mean is this: Boudreau was coaching the team to a playoff pace even with Olie playing the worst of his career. It wasn't all in Boudreau's hands, obviously, because the start under Hanlon put them in such a hole. Huet got them out of that hole, but even without Huet Boudreau had them on a pace for 100 points or so (if he'd had them from the start I mean). They'll get by with Theo, because he won't be as bad as Olie was for those two months or so.

The Caps did everything they could to keep Huet. They tried negotiating, which he wouldn't have any of. They tried meeting his demands, which he backed out on. They tried offering more than his demands, but that wasn't good enough. Once he went and got an offer from Chicago, all bets were off. 4 years, at that cap hit, was not at all doable, especially not when Theo actually wanted to play here. Backstrom and Semin need new contracts in 2 years, Varlamov (and/or Neuvirth, Machesney) will be in the NHL by then, Morrisonn will need to be paid as well if we keep him, etc. We can't afford to spend that much on a 1a/1b goalie for that long.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 07:16 PM
crazyforhockey

[QUOTE=Trxjw;15220258]I think letting Huet go and signing Theodore was a big mistake by the Caps.

I agree but AV's letting go of Theodore and getting Raycroft may be the worst,if Budja struggels again,Raycroft cant bail him out like Theo could.

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 07:25 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Streit isnt THAT bad, the reason it looks like it is because he's going to the Isles where he'll have no one to setup and no one to set him up either.

No matter what we can say about him, him being on the best PP in the league for example, doesnt change much... the guy got over 60 pts... on the PP and playing with guys like Lapierre, Kostopoulos 5 on 5...

anywhere around the league, 60 pts gets you over 4M$...

only problem is unless the Isles trade to find him decent "partners" he'll be nowhere the 60 pts next season.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 07:33 PM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Redden, Malone, and Finger.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 08:06 PM
Jedrik

Even though I think that Ryder can bounce back and score in the 25-30 range, I still think that it's way too much money for the type of player he is. Not sure about it being a crippler at three years, though. That redden contract really does look menacing.

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 08:06 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsfan1 View Post
Did anyone say anything about him?
I searched, but couldn't find it. Note to self: Change handle to Mr. Obvious

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 08:34 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
As a Devil fan, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get 50 points either. Point production and Devils don't typically go well together. I mean the team leader only had 65 points last season.

I wouldn't look to much into Rolstons age though. Playing in New Jersey he be asked to be a responsible 2 way forward first and foremost. He'll be asked to utilize his big shot on the powerplay and thats about it....Under those conditions Rolston can thrive for 4 years without a problem.

Most top 6 forward are looked at poorly when they don't put up numbers...Not here in New Jersey We look down on the forwards who don't know how to play defense
Jim you are forgetting he had been playing in an even tighter system in minne. he had 59 points, he can get 70 being pretty optimistic

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 08:36 PM
NewtJorden
Sharks/Packers fan

Send a message via MSN to NewtJorden
Redden, Finger and hopefully Campbell

NewtJorden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 08:43 PM
JCabranes

Quote:
Originally Posted by alesmarv View Post
This ones easy for me.
Rolston
Over priced.
4 years till the age of 39
over 35 means NJ will eat the contract no matter what happens to him in the next 4 years.

He is a good player but not worth 5 mill anymore, I would be surprised if he gets 50 points next year and I expect him to get progressively worse over the other 3 years.

Rolston by a long shot for me.
I'm with you. Huge overpayment by the Devils for diminishing returns. Feel the same way about Redden.

JCabranes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 08:46 PM
Clarke

Redden for sure. Atleast in Campbell he brings something that is very rare being an actual good puck rushing defensemen, a compliment to cam barkers game. NY is paying Redden 6.5 mil to average 3-4 giveaways a game.

Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 09:08 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Watching players play is crucial. He's got plenty left in the tank, as evidenced by 65 points last year.
Playing most of the year with Staal, he had 65 points. I won't say Stillman's running out of gas, since that's just plain false, but he's a playmaker. He needs someone to set up. And Florida's not exactly known for their offensive depth.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 09:28 PM
Iggy-4-50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post
Bertuzzi → He would've retired if it weren't for Iron Mike.
Why would you think this?

Iggy-4-50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 11:19 PM
evgeni71

Who's Jeff Finger?

evgeni71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 12:23 AM
TOML