HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Which of this summers UFA deals are mostly likely to blow up?

Old
08-22-2008, 01:02 AM
Robert Pahlsson

vCash: 500
I still don't understand how Salvador got all that money...

Robert Pahlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 01:37 AM
deanosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
As much as I like him, I'd have to say Huet in Chicago. Paying that much money for a goalie who has never gotten out of the first round of the playoffs is a recipe for disaster.
Look at his most recent performance with Washington, he was absolutely amazing in net with them, the Philly series easily could of gone either way. But it's kinda embarrassing to pay Theodore MORE money than Huet, and lose Huet because they wouldn't give him enough money?

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 01:38 AM
VelvetJones

1/2 of them.

VelvetJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 02:32 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post
Redden → Could be the worst signing of the summer.
Finger → Top 4? No.
Sundin if he signs for two years. Depending on his teams other contracts.
Campbell → Doesn't done enough to deserve that money or term.
Huet → No way he's worth it.
Streit → Pretty darn overrated and overpaid for too long a term. But this is the 15yr contract team, so whatever...
Rolston → He'll be great in yr 1. So-so in year 2. And then fade out by year 3 of the 4yr deal.
Morrison → He'll play around half a season or less.
Naslund → He'll retire. But still suit up for the Rangers to alleviate boredom.
Avery → The will is there. The skill is somewhat there. But the cap hit is just too high.
Nolan → Borderline retirement. Not 2yr deal.
Malone → Good playoff, but sorry, but he's not worth 4.5mil.
Hainsey → Huh?
Stillman → There's not that much gas left in the tank.
Bertuzzi → He would've retired if it weren't for Iron Mike.
Hagman → Career year was last year.
Holik → He's not the same player, Lou.
Theodore → Not sure if weak SE defenses are exactly what he needs to turn around his career. But who knows...
Miettinen → Too much for a bottom 6.
Brunnstrom → Wow is he overrated.
Brunnette → He just might fade away during that last contract.
R. Blake → Is he really still worth 5mil? This might just prevent SJ from improving at the deadline.
Redden → I don't think it's that bad... he was in a bad situation in Ottawa... he knew he wasn't wanted there and I believe this effected his play... I'm not sure how many deals he rejected but I have a feeling he may have accepted one to the Eastern Conference

Finger → about 1-1.5 million and 2 years too much IMO... he had a decent year but thats a huge commitment to a guy with less than 100 games under his belt

Sundin → if he accepts the Vancouver offer its horrible

Campbell → way way too much for an offensive defenseman... and way too long for a guy who has only broken 40 points twice and is average at best in his own end

Huet → its not that bad... pretty much on par with the likes of Fleury, Giguere and Vokoun

Streit → definitely too much... his numbers were somewhat bloated IMO... they will take a hit on the Island

Rolston → I wouldn't have given him more than 4 million for 3 years... but its not grossly overpaid

Morrison → good signing... if anyone thinks Morrison is injury plagued they really don't know much about him

Naslund → $4 million isn't a crazy contract but it is a risk but at only 2 years its only a small risk

Avery → Will his act wear thin before 4 years is up? otherwise its a decent deal

Nolan → 2 years is alright but not at the dollar figure

Malone → he got 1-1.5 million too much... he will be good for 20_ goals and 45+ points though

Hainsey → holy crap... IMO worst signing of he summer

Stillman → not a bad signing at all... and the kids will learn alot from him

Bertuzzi → its a 1 year deal for under 2 million... even if its a bad experiment the risk is as small as it gets

Hagman → decent contract IMO... I think he could have gotten 3.5 elsewhere

Holik → It's only 1 year... minimal risk

Theodore → he seemed to turn things around last year but 9 million over 2 years is too much of a commitment

Miettinen → not grossly overpaid... but shouldnt be making over $2 million

Brunnstrom → rookie deal... no risk really

Brunnette → good signing... he signed before he was 35 so there isnt alot of risk in him retiring and them being stuck with his deal... he will put up good numbers for his wage

R. Blake → the Sharks will make him look better than he did last year... he is slowing down but not washed up... that said i wouldnt have given him more than $4 million... but like Bertuzzi & Holik its minimal risk because it can't hurt beyond 1 season

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 03:01 AM
massivegoonery

Campbell is probably the best puck rushing defenseman in the NHL. This has been a glaring hole in the Blackhawks organization for some time. The contract is quite steep, I admit, but it presents no forseeable long-term cap issues.

The Campbell signing not only filled a hole, it turned it into a strength. The Blackhawks system is perfect tailor to Cambell's game and should allow him to thrive.

I've got no problem with the signing. The contract is quite steep, I admit, but it presents no forseeable long-term cap issues. Khabibulin, Havlat and Lang come off the books next year freeing up some $16.75 million in cap space and Chicago's prospect depth is such that all three should be replaceable with cheap rookies.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 03:04 AM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Jeff Finger and Michael Ryder.

SedinFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 03:08 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasgow26 View Post
Jeff Finger anyone? though i would guess that he's not expected to make much of an impact in Toronto, but then why pay the guy 3.5 mil? IMO he's getting overpaid by about 2 million dollars. Streit, Redden and Campbel also come to mind.
Not that i am defending Finger signing, but if he sucks Toronto has the option to send him to the minors. While i rather have Streit then Finger at what they signed for, if he sucks the Islanders could potentially be hurt big time by his contract because they don't have a bottomless pit of cash to spend

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 03:19 AM
Danavan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post
Redden → Could be the worst signing of the summer.
Finger → Top 4? No.
Sundin if he signs for two years. Depending on his teams other contracts.
Campbell → Doesn't done enough to deserve that money or term.
Huet → No way he's worth it.
Streit → Pretty darn overrated and overpaid for too long a term. But this is the 15yr contract team, so whatever...
Rolston → He'll be great in yr 1. So-so in year 2. And then fade out by year 3 of the 4yr deal.
Morrison → He'll play around half a season or less.
Naslund → He'll retire. But still suit up for the Rangers to alleviate boredom.
Avery → The will is there. The skill is somewhat there. But the cap hit is just too high.
Nolan → Borderline retirement. Not 2yr deal.
Malone → Good playoff, but sorry, but he's not worth 4.5mil.
Hainsey → Huh?
Stillman → There's not that much gas left in the tank.
Bertuzzi → He would've retired if it weren't for Iron Mike.
Hagman → Career year was last year.
Holik → He's not the same player, Lou.
Theodore → Not sure if weak SE defenses are exactly what he needs to turn around his career. But who knows...
Miettinen → Too much for a bottom 6.
Brunnstrom → Wow is he overrated.
Brunnette → He just might fade away during that last contract.
R. Blake → Is he really still worth 5mil? This might just prevent SJ from improving at the deadline.
pesemistic much???

Danavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 03:51 AM
Brownie

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Wade Redden.
Agree on this one. He underachieved in Ottawa under the same salary. What on earth did he do to deserve the same salary on a 6 year deal? He'll be 37 when the contract ends. I can't see him being anywhere worth his contract past 35.

Edit: Forgot Finger. That was a massive overpayment and will blow up in the Leafs face.

Brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 04:01 AM
Laoghaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
Redden → I don't think it's that bad... he was in a bad situation in Ottawa... he knew he wasn't wanted there and I believe this effected his play... I'm not sure how many deals he rejected but I have a feeling he may have accepted one to the Eastern Conference
The problem is more than anything else the length of the contract. He will be 37 at the end and it's very doubtful he will be worth it at the end. Same problem with Campbell.

Laoghaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 04:47 AM
SumOil

IMO Campbell signing is taking a lot more criticism than it merits. The guy has been constantly improving over the years. He is 29 and heck he has a good 5 good years left in him, where can easily put up 50 points plus. Keith, Seabrook and Barker all are young and need a good veteran to learn from. So though a million over his worth, I do not consider his signing to be as bad. And his contract could be bought out for the last two years if necessary.
I think it is going to be Rolston's contract which can be a thorn for Devils. In about two years time he will not be 50 point forward and even if he retires, i think his salary will count against the cap.
Redden may resurrect his career in NY. With Jagr gone, there is going to be a positive dressing room, which is another thing different from Ottawa from last season.
Streit signing is iffy, but he will definitely help the power play. 4.1 for 5 years is not that bad. I sometimes wonder if that signing was done to keep isles over the cap basement.
Hainsey is a signing which i consider a decent one. Another signing that i thought was too keep Atlanta over the cap basement.Also Atl need someone to play with Enstrom. Hainsey too has been developing well. Hainsey is a top 4 defenceman and in Atl he will be a top pairing one, he is a decent puck mover. IMO he can hit 40 points 2 seasons from now. So I dont think this is a deal which will "blow up" as the title suggests. He may be about .5 mill over paid, but not more.

SumOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 05:24 AM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

I dont like any of the defenseman contracts that have been handed out (Salvador, Redden, Streit, Campbell, Finger etc etc), but if this is the price you have to pay for varying skill levels then so be it.

I think we can all agree that defenseman are pretty overpaid.

britdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 07:18 AM
danishh

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Au contraire. Huet is French, not Swiss.
reffering more to his development time on Lugano.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 07:22 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
Look at his most recent performance with Washington, he was absolutely amazing in net with them, the Philly series easily could of gone either way. But it's kinda embarrassing to pay Theodore MORE money than Huet, and lose Huet because they wouldn't give him enough money?
What are you talking about? Huet is making over a mil/year more than Theo, and for 2 extra years.

Unless I'm completely misunderstanding you...

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 07:32 AM
danishh

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhockeyfan View Post

Redden may resurrect his career in NY. With Jagr gone, there is going to be a positive dressing room, which is another thing different from Ottawa from last season.
problem is, there is no way to know what kind of a factor redden was in our room either. Emery and Gratts were said to be character purges, but there was a ton of speculation about wade as well.

In my opinion, redden is one of the highest risk/reward signings there. Problem is, if he performs his best, he will be worth 6.5, if he doesnt, he'll be worth 3.5. Those numbers almost guarantee he wont be worth the money a year from now, the real question is by how much.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 08:05 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Finger without a doubt.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 08:25 AM
King RAZZ
Los Cucarachas

Nobody the Kings signed...THAT'S for sure...

King RAZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 10:00 AM
Jigger77

4 pages and only something like 2 mentions of Michael Ryder. I would have figured he'd come up every second post. I guess people are assuming he'll start finding the back of the net again. 4 mil for him has to be up there in terms of potentially bad signings imo.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 11:04 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhockeyfan View Post
IMO Campbell signing is taking a lot more criticism than it merits. The guy has been constantly improving over the years. He is 29 and heck he has a good 5 good years left in him, where can easily put up 50 points plus. Keith, Seabrook and Barker all are young and need a good veteran to learn from. So though a million over his worth, I do not consider his signing to be as bad. And his contract could be bought out for the last two years if necessary.
I think it is going to be Rolston's contract which can be a thorn for Devils. In about two years time he will not be 50 point forward and even if he retires, i think his salary will count against the cap.
Streit signing is iffy, but he will definitely help the power play. 4.1 for 5 years is not that bad. I sometimes wonder if that signing was done to keep isles over the cap basement.
Hainsey is a signing which i consider a decent one. Another signing that i thought was too keep Atlanta over the cap basement.Also Atl need someone to play with Enstrom. Hainsey too has been developing well. Hainsey is a top 4 defenceman and in Atl he will be a top pairing one, he is a decent puck mover. IMO he can hit 40 points 2 seasons from now. So I dont think this is a deal which will "blow up" as the title suggests. He may be about .5 mill over paid, but not more.
Even without Streit, Isles were not going to have an issue with the cap floor. Per nhlnumbers, they would be at least 38 million without Streit. That puts them an AHL callup or two, and maybe a minor signing away.

The only team in the league that CURRENTLY has difficulties with regard to the floor is the Kings.

If this deal blows up the Isles, it was simply a bad signing - but it was not about the cap floor.

Last edited by Darth Milbury: 08-22-2008 at 11:12 AM.
Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 11:21 AM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
4 pages and only something like 2 mentions of Michael Ryder. I would have figured he'd come up every second post. I guess people are assuming he'll start finding the back of the net again. 4 mil for him has to be up there in terms of potentially bad signings imo.
To the extent that a $4m contract can cripple a team, Ryder deserves mention in here.. but that's not too much of a damper if he can average say 20 goals a season over the course of it.

Same reason I didn't include Finger, he's completely overpaid but it's not his contract that #@%&s the Leafs so much as it is the combination of his, Blake's, McCabe's (for now at least) plus the buyouts..

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 11:51 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

yeah, streit was overpricey, but if he scores 40+ points all 5 years, i'll have nothing to complain about. THN predicted he would get 10g 34a 44pts, thats nothing to complain about.

same thing goes for campbell. 7 years is too long for him, maybe 4 wouldve done it. and 7.1 is too much too, i woulda given him 6.8 max for those 4 years. but i think for 5 more years campbell can put up 55+ points.

however, these players will blow up in the teams faces:
Redden (NYR)
Finger (TOR)
Raycroft (COL)
Ryder (BOS)
Commodore (CBJ)

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 12:27 PM
TOML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
Redden → I don't think it's that bad... he was in a bad situation in Ottawa... he knew he wasn't wanted there and I believe this effected his play... I'm not sure how many deals he rejected but I have a feeling he may have accepted one to the Eastern Conference → My main problem with it is the term.

Finger → about 1-1.5 million and 2 years too much IMO... he had a decent year but thats a huge commitment to a guy with less than 100 games under his belt → I concur.

Sundin → if he accepts the Vancouver offer its horrible → Depends on 1yr or two. I think he just wants one.

Campbell → way way too much for an offensive defenseman... and way too long for a guy who has only broken 40 points twice and is average at best in his own end → I concur.

Huet → its not that bad... pretty much on par with the likes of Fleury, Giguere and Vokoun → I guess we'll see. I think Lalime was decent enough to be a backup. They need to dump Khabi.

Streit → definitely too much... his numbers were somewhat bloated IMO... they will take a hit on the Island → I concur. 80% of those points were due to Markov and Kovalev. Snow, snow, snow.

Rolston → I wouldn't have given him more than 4 million for 3 years... but its not grossly overpaid. → We'll see if NJ is that much improved. I think they have a good shot to win the Atlantic this season.

Morrison → good signing... if anyone thinks Morrison is injury plagued they really don't know much about him → He's still recovering from a hip pointer, knee problem and wrist problem. He won't be 100% until Christmas. IF he takes all that time off, which he won't, because he's out to prove that he's some sort of 'Iron Man.'

Naslund → $4 million isn't a crazy contract but it is a risk but at only 2 years its only a small risk → Yup.

Avery → Will his act wear thin before 4 years is up? otherwise its a decent deal. → Looking forward to him being rocked by his ex-LA teammates.

Nolan → 2 years is alright but not at the dollar figure → Yeah, he coulda been cheaper. But even JR accepts 1yr deals.

Malone → he got 1-1.5 million too much... he will be good for 20_ goals and 45+ points though → He's next year's Penner.

Hainsey → holy crap... IMO worst signing of he summer → Luckily he's on a team that just had Zhitnik.

Stillman → not a bad signing at all... and the kids will learn alot from him → His injury-prone status and declining speed would have me concerned.

Bertuzzi → its a 1 year deal for under 2 million... even if its a bad experiment the risk is as small as it gets → The Ducks just lost in the first round largely because of this guy.

Hagman → decent contract IMO... I think he could have gotten 3.5 elsewhere → No way he scores 20+ again.

Holik → It's only 1 year... minimal risk → Should've been 1-1.5mil. But he'll help the checking line. Part of why i think NJ wins the Atlantic.

Theodore → he seemed to turn things around last year but 9 million over 2 years is too much of a commitment → Washington apparently wasn't paying attention.

Miettinen → not grossly overpaid... but shouldnt be making over $2 million → Like Hagman, his exit from Dallas will hurt him. They had 3 top-notch centermen. Minny has one. Maybe.

Brunnstrom → rookie deal... no risk really → Ya i know. But he's overrated.

Brunnette → good signing... he signed before he was 35 so there isnt alot of risk in him retiring and them being stuck with his deal... he will put up good numbers for his wage → Yeah, i concur. But it'll depend on whether he's alone up there or not.

R. Blake → the Sharks will make him look better than he did last year... he is slowing down but not washed up... that said i wouldnt have given him more than $4 million... but like Bertuzzi & Holik its minimal risk because it can't hurt beyond 1 season → I dunno why the Sharks coveted him so much when they so so much of him diminishing in LA.
Repsonses in bold.

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 12:38 PM
Flyersguru

Hands down Ryder @ $4 million per.

Flyersguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 12:51 PM
I Hate You All*

Send a message via AIM to I Hate You All* Send a message via Yahoo to I Hate You All*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucechucker99 View Post
Finger Redden and Naslund
Gross! YOU finger them.

I Hate You All* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 12:59 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malik Fan View Post
Gross! YOU finger them.
You can bet he's chucking his sauce at the prospect.

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote