HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Dan Fritsche Tribute - The other newest Ranger.

Old
08-13-2008, 02:57 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

vCash: 500
Danny is a good crash and bang guy. He's willing to stick up for teammates but isn't very effective at it. When I think of Jackets' players and fighters - Fritsche isn't even on the radar. Shelley (before the trade), Boll and Tollefsen fit that bill.

I had posted this in one of the Zherdev threads, I'll repeat it here:

go to www.bluejackets.com, click on the multimedia drop down menu, Click on BlueJackets TV (that will open the video portal), Click on Archive Library, on page 12 "At Home with the Blue Jackets" is an extended interview with Fritsche from last season.

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 04:21 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
The Jackets probably felt they could move him because they have younger guys that can do pretty much the same thing (balls to the wall, not much offense) and neither of them are coming off two major injuries that ended their last two seasons early. He'll be a good plugger, but if you're expecting anything more than 30 points out of him at the most, it's not going to happen. Any word on what number he'll be wearing?

Jovavic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 07:44 AM
Matt

49 per the roster

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 12:07 PM
Socks
HeadFake

Yeah Danny's got some serious heart - he was the one doing a lot of yapping leading up to our final game against Calgary last year (there was some bad blood spilled over from a previous game) and as it ended up he was instrumental in the 3-0 spanking we gave them. Sadly he got hurt in the next game, I believe, and was out for the year. His skill set isn't terrible, either, but as was mentioned earlier the CBJ have more than several 3rd line grinders which unfortunately made him expendable. Hopefully he'll flourish in New York.

Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 12:45 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinNow View Post
Yeah Danny's got some serious heart - he was the one doing a lot of yapping leading up to our final game against Calgary last year (there was some bad blood spilled over from a previous game) and as it ended up he was instrumental in the 3-0 spanking we gave them. Sadly he got hurt in the next game, I believe, and was out for the year. His skill set isn't terrible, either, but as was mentioned earlier the CBJ have more than several 3rd line grinders which unfortunately made him expendable. Hopefully he'll flourish in New York.
an ALL USA LINE FRITSCHE DUBINSKY CALLAHAN. I wont be shocked if this is the line they try out in preseason an all kid line, sather did that in edmonton, he should do that here if it works out.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2008, 09:56 PM
Fletch

BDuby...

I wouldn't be shocked either. But I also wouldn't be shocked to see him play with Drury either leaving Duby's left wing to be, perhaps, Rissmiler, another all-american line. I get the sense Rissmiller's not here to play on the fourth line and that Cally, right now, is a third liner. I'm also thinking that Prucha doesn't fit into the plans.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 09:47 AM
AXN

Rissmiler is a fill in.

Last edited by AXN: 08-17-2008 at 09:57 AM.
AXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 08:57 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXN View Post
Rissmiler is a fill in.
we should have brought marcel hossa back, bother r same type of player. each player leaves you wanting more but then they give u nothing. voros is at least useful, will crash the net and is willing to fight.

Old
08-21-2008, 04:39 PM
Dougmustgo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjgirl View Post
Danny is a good crash and bang guy. He's willing to stick up for teammates but isn't very effective at it. When I think of Jackets' players and fighters - Fritsche isn't even on the radar. Shelley (before the trade), Boll and Tollefsen fit that bill.

I had posted this in one of the Zherdev threads, I'll repeat it here:

go to www.bluejackets.com, click on the multimedia drop down menu, Click on BlueJackets TV (that will open the video portal), Click on Archive Library, on page 12 "At Home with the Blue Jackets" is an extended interview with Fritsche from last season.

I would have to disagree with you. This Fritsche kid has always been a big time scorer his entire hockey career. He excelled at the center position (Junior USA gold, Memorial Cup/MVP, team Cherry OHL All Star Game MVP etc..)

Fritsche's scoring problems didn't start until he arrived with the Columbus franchise. Once Columbus got him they shifted him to the off wing, called him a "grinder" and played him on the 4th line with players like Jody Shelly. This kid is far from a grinder, he is a scorer with great potential in this league if given the chance. In Columbus he rarely saw time on the PP and his time with first and second line quality players was non-existant on a regualar basis.

The fact he has been traded to NYR is a win win situation for both NYR and also Fritsche the player. With NYR I believe he will finally get a legitimate chance to excel in this league at his natural position of center alongside quality players for a franchise that has a rich tradition and a legit shot at immediate success.

Dougmustgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 06:22 PM
cmb572

Quote:
I would have to disagree with you. This Fritsche kid has always been a big time scorer his entire hockey career. He excelled at the center position (Junior USA gold, Memorial Cup/MVP, team Cherry OHL All Star Game MVP etc..)

Fritsche's scoring problems didn't start until he arrived with the Columbus franchise. Once Columbus got him they shifted him to the off wing, called him a "grinder" and played him on the 4th line with players like Jody Shelly. This kid is far from a grinder, he is a scorer with great potential in this league if given the chance. In Columbus he rarely saw time on the PP and his time with first and second line quality players was non-existant on a regualar basis.

The fact he has been traded to NYR is a win win situation for both NYR and also Fritsche the player. With NYR I believe he will finally get a legitimate chance to excel in this league at his natural position of center alongside quality players for a franchise that has a rich tradition and a legit shot at immediate success.
i truely hope you are correct sir!

cmb572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 07:33 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

"B/C rate players that aren't exciting at all...but we are a soft team so even though he can't fight well...he'll fight" tribute thread

great

what's next, a Petr Prucha knocked off the puck tribute thread?

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 08:49 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger49 View Post

Just for the record...

You don't know me, I don't know you. I am a big Fritsche fan and was sporting a Fritsche avatar all last season. I want him to be successful for the Rangers.

That being said, he needs to work on his aim from elsewhere than the right circle. He is accurate from that location, from other places, not so much. Hitch made a comment early in the season about taking Fritsche and Chimera to the beach to practice shooting so they would actually be able to hit their target (the ocean).

Considering the fact that I watched at least 75 Jackets' games last year, I would consider myself at least "informed". I'm the type of fan that stays up on a work night to watch a 10:30 start in San Jose.

Maybe he will be a center for the Rangers. Fritsche has said in the past that he does want to play center and that he is more than a grinder, maybe he can do that in NY. But isn't he going to be your third center at best behind Gomez and Drury? That would put him on the 3rd or 4th line, your checking or "energy" lines - exactly the role he had on the Jackets.

Just because a player is a 1st line center in Juniors doesn't make him a 1st line center in the NHL. Since there are fewer "1st line centers" than there are teams, I definately wouldn't count Fritsche among the elite centers in the NHL regardless of what he did in Juniors.

He plays with passion and heart. I like his drive, his work ethic, his work in the community, but to be honest, I don't see him as a top flight center in the NHL, maybe as a 2nd line winger - no higher. Best of luck Dan - prove me wrong.

Old
08-21-2008, 10:27 PM
Nich

i do think danny has more offense as well.....and fyi 3rd lines are expected to score at least a bit in the new nhl...i can easily see him on the third line with either dubi or drury, with cally on the other side...

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 10:30 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
i do think danny has more offense as well.....and fyi 3rd lines are expected to score at least a bit in the new nhl...i can easily see him on the third line with either dubi or drury, with cally on the other side...
also, i think like most blue jackets prospects, he was rushed to the nhl which stunted his offensive potential....i mean we are talking about a kid that has played a whooping 23 games in the ahl...and played 19 games in the nhl the year after he was drafted

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php3?pid=59664

Old
08-22-2008, 08:23 AM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Quote:
also, i think like most blue jackets prospects, he was rushed to the nhl which stunted his offensive potential....i mean we are talking about a kid that has played a whooping 23 games in the ahl...and played 19 games in the nhl the year after he was drafted

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php3?pid=59664
Just for the record, the games Fritsche played in the NHL in 03/04 were the first 19 games of the season. Then he went to the WJC, then was assigned to Juniors. Looking at NHL.com, he also played in Syracuse in 03/04 - must have been after his junior season ended.

The next year was the lockout, he was in Juniors again. 05/06 he split time between CBJ and Syracuse.

He was looking good in 06/07 until the freak skate blade cut on his wrist. IIRC, he had dropped his stick sort of between the corner and behind the net right along the end boards, as he was going to pick it up, the defenseman stepped on his wrist. He went off the ice very quickly (not quite in a panic, but close). The whole thing happened very fast.

Like all Jackets under Hitchcock, his defensive play has improved, although it did seem like he took a step backwards offensively last season. (Then again with our inept offense, almost everyone else did too.) One of Fristche's best games last season was this one: http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?gameNumbe...8&service=page when he was on a line with Nash & Malhotra. Then the next game, he ended up with a broken hand - took a slapshot from a teammate looking at the TOI, it was either Manny, Nash, Tarnstrom or Tollefsen that hit him.

The Nash - Manny - Fritsche combo did work very well together.

Old
08-22-2008, 08:36 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjgirl View Post
Just for the record, the games Fritsche played in the NHL in 03/04 were the first 19 games of the season. Then he went to the WJC, then was assigned to Juniors. Looking at NHL.com, he also played in Syracuse in 03/04 - must have been after his junior season ended.

The next year was the lockout, he was in Juniors again. 05/06 he split time between CBJ and Syracuse.

He was looking good in 06/07 until the freak skate blade cut on his wrist. IIRC, he had dropped his stick sort of between the corner and behind the net right along the end boards, as he was going to pick it up, the defenseman stepped on his wrist. He went off the ice very quickly (not quite in a panic, but close). The whole thing happened very fast.

Like all Jackets under Hitchcock, his defensive play has improved, although it did seem like he took a step backwards offensively last season. (Then again with our inept offense, almost everyone else did too.) One of Fristche's best games last season was this one: http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?gameNumbe...8&service=page when he was on a line with Nash & Malhotra. Then the next game, he ended up with a broken hand - took a slapshot from a teammate looking at the TOI, it was either Manny, Nash, Tarnstrom or Tollefsen that hit him.

The Nash - Manny - Fritsche combo did work very well together.
manny for rucinsky what a great deal that was i always thought manny can be what betts is but with more offense, too bad sather dealt him for an old has-been and a player with depression issues.

Old
08-22-2008, 08:45 AM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDubinskyNYR17 View Post
manny for rucinsky what a great deal that was i always thought manny can be what betts is but with more offense, too bad sather dealt him for an old has-been and a player with depression issues.
what is with your obsession with 4th line players?????

especially since this thread is about Dan, who also can be what betts is with more offense....

Old
08-22-2008, 09:43 AM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Quote:
Quote:

especially since this thread is about Dan, who also can be what betts is with more offense....
I'll have you know that Manny was the CBJ board Man-crush winner in fall of 2005.

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=3830203&postcount=42

A Fritsche / Manny comparison might be somewhat valid in this case. A guy who was drafted who ends up in a roll that wasn't what was expected.

Dan does have offensive skills, they just haven't been consistent enough. One of his best assests might be contributing to the problem. His skill set and ability level make it possible for him to play in virtually any forward position from a 1st line winger (on a short term basis) to a 4th line center. He bounced all over the line-up last season. I think the bouncing around had more to do with who was out of the line-up (injuries) then necessarily anything Fritsche was doing or not doing.

Both of the last 2 seasons, he really seemed to be coming into his own just before he got injured and had to shut it down for the year. If he can show that promise and ability earlier in the year, he might stick higher up in the line-up.

Manny has turned into an excellent defensive forward with one of the best FO% in the league (59% in 07/08), that is with having taken over 1000 draws last season. Manny just needs to shoot more often but he seems very defensive minded almost to the exclusion of offense.

Old
08-22-2008, 09:49 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:

dan is more than a 4th liner. i think a 2ed -3rd liner is what he will be.

Old
08-22-2008, 09:50 AM
chosen

Is it time for the Rissmiller tribute thread yet? And what about Frank the hot dog vendor?

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 10:04 AM
Nich

Quote:
dan is more than a 4th liner. i think a 2ed -3rd liner is what he will be.
while i agree he can be more than a 4th liner, you don't realize we have tons of players for the 4th line already and you are talking about manny????

Old
08-22-2008, 10:26 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
while i agree he can be more than a 4th liner, you don't realize we have tons of players for the 4th line already and you are talking about manny????
i know but when we had manny we did not have much youth, trading him at that point for rucinsky only to miss the playoffs was pointless. if we had him now, betts would not be on this team.

Old
08-22-2008, 10:34 AM
Nich

Quote:
i know but when we had manny we did not have much youth, trading him at that point for rucinsky only to miss the playoffs was pointless. if we had him now, betts would not be on this team.
you can not know that for a fact at all.....you make way to many assumptions....

in other words, what if we kept manny and he got hurt ala blackburn?

what if he left for free agentcy?

and you realize you are still talking about what, 6-7 years ago?

Last edited by Nich: 08-22-2008 at 10:42 AM.
Old
08-22-2008, 10:54 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
you can not know that for a fact at all.....you make way to many assumptions....

in other words, what if we kept manny and he got hurt ala blackburn?

what if he left for free agentcy?

and you realize you are still talking about what, 6-7 years ago?
so why did we trade for lindros??? we traded for him when he had concussion problems. what if someone knocked him down like beukeboom

Old
08-22-2008, 11:09 AM
cmb572

well i dunno i for one thank you for the insight cbjgirl. For someone like me who doesnt get to see many west coast games and know nothing about Fritsche i appreciate the info. Its nice to know info about how the blue jackets fan felt about him and i think hes gonna be a fan fav here too. i want nothing more then him to excel(is that how u spell it?)here. anyway thanks for the info.

cmb572 is offline   Reply With Quote