HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Defensive Pairings According to Hitch - 8/08

Old
08-22-2008, 07:18 AM
5StringBuzz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
The thought of Russell and Backman on the ice at the same time scares the holy hell out of me at this point in time.
This was exactly my first reaction, too, which is why this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaggerX View Post
Figure Klesla/Tyutin are the two-way line, Commodore/Hjeda for shut-down and then line three to fill in. The Backman/Rusell line is there for power plays, and Tollefsen/Methot/Rome get in with one of the previous two just to give defensive rests.

That allows Hitchcock a bit of flexibility depending on situation.
...made a lot of sense to me. Still, unless Russ or Backman can improve their defensive skills, I'd still be surprised to see them out together on the PP. More likely one of them with one of the more stable defenders. Interesting.

5StringBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 08:46 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallendar View Post
Hitch is blowing smoke up our collective donkeys. No way Russell is not with Commodore or Hejda.... NO WAY!
Yeah, you haven't watched Hitch much over the last couple of years I guess. Based on Russell's advancement to this point, I see almost no way in which Russell gets enough 5 on 5 ice time to play with Hejda or Commodore.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 11:48 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Our defense this season will be the best ever iced in Columbus. I also think we will be surpised how mobil and offensive the overall group of 7 defenseman that make the roster really are.

I was not happy with the progress of Russell last year, even though he was a rookie he made to many mental errors imo. His small size might be having an impact in his adjustment to the NHL. I think he needs more time in the minors.

Methot's play dropped off a tad last season imo but I'm thinking he knows this season is critical for his career-he should make the team and fill the 6th or 7th slot.

I'm very excited to see this new defense in action. But we must remember, it will take at least 20 regular season games for the new pairings and chemistry to gell before we really know how good (or marginal) they really are.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 04:19 PM
Macster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Our defense this season will be the best ever iced in Columbus. I also think we will be surpised how mobil and offensive the overall group of 7 defenseman that make the roster really are.

I was not happy with the progress of Russell last year, even though he was a rookie he made to many mental errors imo. His small size might be having an impact in his adjustment to the NHL. I think he needs more time in the minors.

Methot's play dropped off a tad last season imo but I'm thinking he knows this season is critical for his career-he should make the team and fill the 6th or 7th slot.

I'm very excited to see this new defense in action. But we must remember, it will take at least 20 regular season games for the new pairings and chemistry to gell before we really know how good (or marginal) they really are.
Care to elaborate?

Maybe explain what you think caused a "drop in play" ?

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 04:58 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

But true is I do not quite believe Commodore and Backman. I think they are enough slow and not moving defensmen. And I suppose both of them will play in the roster. And Backmans hits are bad. I am afraid Russell will probably lose his place in the roster for Backman.

Ťjutin is an excelent support and I am happy we got him.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote