HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT- I'm going to Toronto for a few days: Any advice?

Old
08-22-2008, 10:12 AM
GoHabs20

vCash: 500
I hope you are attracted by Chinese women.

GoHabs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 12:22 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
I'm going to Toronto for a few days: Any advice?
Don't go there

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 12:35 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
On Monday, my family and I are going to Toronto to see some of my mom's close friends.

Since I am a Habs fan and I know how Toronto fans feel about the Habs, do you have any advice for me?

I'll post on here to get some tips, and I'll ask some Leaf fans on some of the things I'd like to do.
Just stay away from habfan4 or you will get a coup de boule.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 12:39 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfunk View Post
- The CN Tower is expensive, but worth doing once in your life.
- The HHOF. They have a replica of the old Forum dressing room which is a must see.
- Take a walk around Chinatown and Kensington Market
- The ROM and AGO are both great museums. Check their websites to see when it's cheaper to go
- The Toronto Zoo is one of the best in the world. It could make a good stop on the way out of town, but you'll need at least a half-day to see it properly
- Nachos at Sneaky Dees - they are a cut above anything else.

If you're driving down on a weekday, make sure you don't arrive between 3 and 7 p.m. Traffic on the 401 and Don Valley Parkway is brutal at those times.
All of the above take at least a half day each. Even the Nachos.
I generally don't go to the ROM unless I have an entire day. It's just a cool museum with tons of new exhibits every year. The Zoo also takes a day if you want to see the whole thing. The CN Tower is just nuts in the summer, and worse on the weekends.

Go to a Jays game. Sox are in town this weekend.

08-22-2008, 12:42 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong and Free View Post
Park on The Esplanade at the Green P parking lot. It'll cost you $9.00 I believe for the entire day. You can leave your car there for the day and hit up other places downtown. For lunch I recommend Shopsey's or the Old Spaghetti Factory.
Yeah on a weekday it should cost $10 or so, unless there's an event going on (like an afternoon Jays game).

I've yet to ever take the tour of Casa Loma, but I hear it's pretty neat if you're into that kind of thing.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 12:43 PM
Macbeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
Or Holy water.

And by Holy water.. I mean ice from the Bell Centre that has melted.

Edit: Ahhh... cross thread humour at its best!
How much would you have to pay for that ice ?

I'm innarested.

Last edited by Macbeth: 08-22-2008 at 12:50 PM.
Macbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 01:26 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Go Visit, Hockey Hall of Fame(A Must!)
Catch Major League Baseball(Jays)
Go to CNE if your around for it, you'll be able to buy lot's of cheap Habs Tee-Shirts there.
Grab some cold beers on the L'Esplande, Or the Loose Moose.
Go to a Restaurant on The Danforth in Greek Town.
Buy some spicey Street Meat(Big honking hot dogs), the ones in front of Union Station are pretty good

Where your Habs stuff there are 150 000 Montreal'ers living there, plus many more in for business.

Don't drive around town, use GO Trains or the Red Rocket(Subway)

Be prepared to be in traffic a lot. The City is extremely overcrowded.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 05:06 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
If the weather is nice, and you're there with any of your wife/girlfriend/children, take the ferry from downtown to Centre Island. I was there with my girlfriend last weekend and we had an amazing time.

As many have said, Hockey Hall of Fame is a must-visit. Eaton Centre and surrounding area are nice to walk around if you're looking to shop.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 05:25 PM
chitownhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong and Free View Post
Head over to the Hockey Hall of Fame. As a hockey fan it is pretty much a must see. It's located at the corner of Yonge Street and Front Street West. Feel free to wear your Habs jersey. Too bad your not coming down later in the year as their is going to be a huge chunk of the Hall dedicated to the Habs turning 100.

If you've never been to the CN Tower its pretty much a must do to. Be prepared to fork out a small fortune though. I think it's about $24 or so.

If you need any other advice please feel free to IM me.
Hockey Hall of Fame web site - http://www.hhof.com/ take a camera and get your pic taken with La Coupe Stanley and in the Habs dressing room replica. If you don't have a camera, they have one there and it will cost you for the pic. This will take a minimum of three hours to take it all in.

For refreshments, go to Gretz's restaurant - http://www.gretzky.com/restaurant/

Web site for the CN Tower - http://www.cntower.ca/portal/GetPage.aspx?at=848 I suggest only going to the mid way point, make sure it is a clear day or go at dusk when the sun is setting or at night, combine both.

If you are interested and it is available, take a tour of the Hanger - http://www.theaircanadacentre.com/about/

Have fun!!

chitownhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 05:38 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth View Post
How much would you have to pay for that ice ?

I'm innarested.
You gots to talk to Doug about that..

He's the ice business tycoon.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 05:41 PM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfunk View Post
If you're driving down on a weekday, make sure you don't arrive between 3 and 7 p.m. Traffic on the 401 and Don Valley Parkway is brutal at those times.
Or 9am - 3pm.. lol

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon
Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 05:48 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Even though the Habs aren't playing right now, go to Kilgour on Bloor. If you don't have a car, take the subway to Spadina station, and walk along Bloor. The owner is a Canadiens fan, and likes talking with Canadiens fan (he might even hook you up with a pint). If you are there during the hockey season, and the Canadiens aren't playing at the ACC, check them out at Kilgour's. The TVs sort of suck (actually, there are only 2 TVs), but the man cranks the noise and the place is packed with Habs fans. You'd probably meet a few friends the night you go there.

I don't live in Toronto, but I will acknowledge that I love visiting Toronto. If Toronto FC is playing, make sure that you get down to BMO Field and watch them play. The atmosphere is electrifying. One of my friends told me that it was the best experience watching sports in North America, that you can find. The Hockey Hall of Fame is fun too. I've been there like 5 times over the past three or four years, but I always enjoy going. It's always an eye-opener if you've never been there before. The exhibits are a bit smaller than you'd imagine, but there are lots of stuff, and if you like detail in hockey things, you'll like the HHOF. The centennial display will probably be class, as they have done a decent job in covering the Habs in there.

Toronto is also a great place to eat. I usually stay at Sheraton Centre (awesome hotel, right in the middle of Downtown, closeby to everything), and have usually hung out at Queen street restaurants. They ahve a mix of everything there, and it is very casual and not pretentious. If you want to splurge, Yorkville is a decent option too. Personally I like the laid-back, almost dive-bar type establishments, and there are some around Downtown. Walk in downtown along Queen street and you'll find some places.

Anyway, like I said, I don't even live in Toronto, but have had a wonderful time there. Hope you enjoy yourself!

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 05:49 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

how far is the Rogers Center from the HHOF?
walking distance??

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 05:50 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
walking distance??
Definitely walking distance... Maybe 10-15 minutes. I think you can take the PATH to get there.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 05:52 PM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
walking distance??
Easily.. ten minutes tops if you go through Union Station and over the Sky-walk (bridge that goes out of Union and cuts over the rail corridor, dumps you right at the Dome).

Old
08-22-2008, 06:07 PM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
Definitely walking distance... Maybe 10-15 minutes. I think you can take the PATH to get there.
lol, DON'T take the PATH. Even Torontonians have a hard time trying to figure out that underground maze
Kidding. In all seriousness, the PATH from Union Station to Rogers Centre is dead easy.
Unfortunately taking the PATH to go pretty much anywhere else will leave you dead with a search party searching fruitlessly for your rotting body
But yeah, it's easy walk to go from the HHOF to the Rogers Centre.
Just walk west along Front street and you'll get there.

pepperMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 06:12 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiffy View Post
Easily.. ten minutes tops if you go through Union Station and over the Sky-walk (bridge that goes out of Union and cuts over the rail corridor, dumps you right at the Dome).
Don't take the skywalk if it's hot, it's like an atrium & you'll pass out. just walk west on Front Street, HHOF is at Front & Yonge...Rogers Centre is at Front & John about 4 blocks or 8-10 mins walk.

Also if you use the Rocket(Subway) get off at College Street Station & enjoy the Montreal Canadiens Mural on the Northbound platform Wall. That was Maple Leaf Gardens stop & the Southbound wall is full of Leafs players & the Northbound wall on the Yonge/Spadina subway is all Montreal players. Some of my favorite art in Canada!!!

Last edited by Player 61: 08-22-2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old
08-22-2008, 06:20 PM
dcyhabs

Try C'est What on Front and Church. Good beer most of which you can't get elsewhere. http://www.cestwhat.com/

I miss that place.

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 06:23 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Toronto is also the home of home brewing beer. Steam whistle Brewery is across from Rogers Centre & was an old Grand Trunk Round House.. If you like trains & beer....a must.

They have tours...

http://www.steamwhistle.ca/

Old
08-22-2008, 06:25 PM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater Ghost View Post
Don't take the skywalk if it's hot, it's like an atrium & you'll pass out. just walk west on Front Street, HHOF is at Front & Yonge...Rogers Centre is at Front & John about 4 blocks or 8-10 mins walk.
A fine point.. apparently ventilation wasn't a large concern in 1989..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater Ghost View Post
Also if you use the Rocket(Subway) get off at College Street Station & enjoy the Montreal Canadiens Mural on the Northbound platform Wall. That was Maple Leaf Gardens stop & the Southbound wall is full of Leafs players & the Northbound wall on the Yonge/Spadina subway is all Montreal players. Some of my favorite art in Canada!!!
Good friend of mine once got so upset at the graffiti on the Montreal side, and lack of it being cleaned, that he brought his own cleaning supplies down one day and cleaned it up.

Old
08-22-2008, 06:26 PM
Rbk
MontrealCulinary*****

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Rbk Send a message via Skype™ to Rbk
watchout for evil squirrels

Rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 06:37 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiffy View Post
A fine point.. apparently ventilation wasn't a large concern in 1989..

Good friend of mine once got so upset at the graffiti on the Montreal side, and lack of it being cleaned, that he brought his own cleaning supplies down one day and cleaned it up.
I worked in that area for years & don't recommend an unknowing friend to take the sauna/Skywalk unwittingly. Especially on the way to a Jays game after a few shots on Front Street.

Good to hear, the good citizens of Toronto seem to hate graffiti, even on the enemy. I like the way both murals face-off against each other, forever rivals! It's a tribute to the 2 Original 6 Canadian teams for sure.

Old
08-22-2008, 06:50 PM
snakeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Gros Bill View Post
I live in Toronto and people pretty much don't care. I've worn my jersey all over the place and it's not like people will stop and make some sort of remark/try to start something. I've been to my share of Leafs-Habs games at the ACC and at sports bars as well and Toronto fans are pretty relaxed towards the Montreal faithful.

Then again, it's not like Leaf fans have had much to brag about recently.

But that's just me.
Probably cause you're not one of these obnoxious fans that don't know when to sftu.

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 07:10 PM
HabstuckinTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
Even better.. disguise yourself as a reporter and start interviewing people about what they think about the news that the Hall of fame will be transferred to Montreal because the Maple Leafs organisation has become too much of a disgrace.

Beautiful - I love it!

HabstuckinTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 08:13 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Here you go guys, our habs on the wall at College Street Station in Toronto... TTC

edit...added the Leafs side, it's a face off Subway station.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 82819418_4de55e4648.jpg‎ (111.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 82819460_f618e9947b.jpg‎ (112.9 KB, 30 views)