HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Montreal - Edmonton - Chicago

Old
08-22-2008, 12:58 PM
24morecupsthanyou*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cao View Post
Chicago gets bent over, violated, thrown into a pool of acid, then taken out and doused with vinegar and salt.
gilbert is awesome you newb.

24morecupsthanyou* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 01:00 PM
24morecupsthanyou*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piffle View Post
Well, we'll just have to disagree there. I think 99% of Hawk fans would not trade Buff for Gilbert straight up.
and that's why the hawks organization has been in the gutter for like a bajillion years.

24morecupsthanyou* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 01:21 PM
hawksfan79

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24morecupsthanyou View Post
and that's why the hawks organization has been in the gutter for like a bajillion years.
I love comments like this! While Tom Gilbert is a solid young d-man, why would we deal a burgeoning young power forward, and (if healthy) one of the most dynamic offensive players in the league for a guy who (on this team) might be a 3rd pairing d-man behind Campbell/Sopel/Keith/Seabrook? Not only is it illogical, it does not address any needs for the Hawks.

hawksfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 01:48 PM
GoldenTicket

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan79 View Post
I love comments like this! While Tom Gilbert is a solid young d-man, why would we deal a burgeoning young power forward, and (if healthy) one of the most dynamic offensive players in the league for a guy who (on this team) might be a 3rd pairing d-man behind Campbell/Sopel/Keith/Seabrook? Not only is it illogical, it does not address any needs for the Hawks.
Yeah a solid young Dman who has already broken one of Paul Coffey's records. Gilbert is a stud.

GoldenTicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 03:04 PM
hawksfan79

Quote:
Originally Posted by section8 View Post
Yeah a solid young Dman who has already broken one of Paul Coffey's records. Gilbert is a stud.
I don't want to seem like I'm knocking him, he's a really good young player no doubt, and if we were hurting for defense, then maybe some would take a look at it, but we're not hurting for defense, and I think the potential of Dustin Byfuglien outweighs Gilbert IMO.

Old
08-22-2008, 03:09 PM
God
Free Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
How's that? They get the best player in the whole package, even if they are not in need of him.

Like my laughing smillies state, this proposal is terrible.
I think, and I'm guessing that most people on HF think this too, that Byfuglien has more trade value than Gilbert, reason being that he can be a defenseman and a forward, and last season he displayed a ton of dominance as a true power forward who isn't afraid to get physical, something that is rare nowadays.

Quote:
i didnt say he sucked u newb!!

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 03:12 PM
deanosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piffle View Post
Well, we'll just have to disagree there. I think 99% of Hawk fans would not trade Buff for Gilbert straight up.
I'm a fan of neither team and I'd take Gilbert and run if I was you guys.
The problem with Havlat is obviously how often he gets injured, which is going to bring his value down considerably. Edmonton is the only team really losing in this deal. Any team that acquires Havlat for a roster player is getting the short end of the stick. If he managed to stay healthy my opinion would change.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 03:13 PM
deanosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan79 View Post
You have a dynamic sheet of glass... his value isn't very high.

Old
08-22-2008, 03:30 PM
hawksfan79

Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
I'd rather roll the dice and see if a new contract makes him more durable I really feel for the guy, I think he really wants to do well, and when he has gotten hurt, he has pushed himself too fast and come back when he has not been fully healed. Plus I can't say enough good things about Dustin Byfuglien, when this guy learns what he's doing at forward, a 20 goal season from him would seem like a disappointment.

Old
08-22-2008, 03:39 PM
God
Free Citizen

Quote:
But he's still a talented player, and Gilbert and Subban for him and Byfuglien is an absolutely horrible trade.

Old
08-22-2008, 03:46 PM
deanosaur

Quote:
But he's still a talented player, and Gilbert and Subban for him and Byfuglien is an absolutely horrible trade.
Subban is coming from MTL...

He's a talented player for the 30 games he plays. That's the problem. Sorry but any GM in the league wouldn't give up much for him. You have better odds at the roulette table than taking a chance on Havlat.

Old
08-22-2008, 03:49 PM
Teemu

Quote:
ohhhh... someone just got pwnt.

Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 03:54 PM
hawksfan79

Quote:

He's a talented player for the 30 games he plays. That's the problem. Sorry but any GM in the league wouldn't give up much for him. You have better odds at the roulette table than taking a chance on Havlat.
Which if what you are saying is true, this is the ol' "he's worth more to the Hawks than he would be with anyone else" situation. You can't get fair value because teams would be too scared to trade for him....now in reality, I'd bet there probably would be some teams (especially if a contract extension are part of the terms) that would take a chance on him if he became available, but there's no need for the Hawks to dump this guy as part of a salary cap purge. If he sucks and gets injured again, oh well, we have kids that could make up the difference and we'll have the 6 million coming off the cap next year. If he stays healthy and becomes the dynamic Havlat that we saw in his 1st year, then we have a gamebreaker that helps the Hawks go far into the playoffs, and have a chance to re-sign at a reasonable contract given how the team has stuck by him through all his injury issues. It's a win-win for the Hawks, so unless it's a legitimate offer, and not a low ball, no reason for him to be dealt.

Old
08-22-2008, 04:36 PM
Piffle

Quote:
I think, and I'm guessing that most people on HF think this too, that Byfuglien has more trade value than Gilbert, reason being that he can be a defenseman and a forward, and last season he displayed a ton of dominance as a true power forward who isn't afraid to get physical, something that is rare nowadays.
I'm not sure what most people on HF think, but I saw all but 4 or 5 Hawk games last year, and Dustin Byfuglien is a unique player. He carries the puck up the ice and gains the zone as good as just about anyone, he has an awesome slapshot, he has very soft hands around the net, and he hits like a freight train. I can't think of anyone else that has the set of skills he has, and he still has a ton more upside that he hasn't tapped yet.

And while he can play defense/PP point still, that is most definitely not his strong suit. On the PP he is pretty much impossible to move from in front of the net at 240+ pounds and very good on his skates.

There are only two players that I think are more untouchable than him, and that is Kane and Toews. I think he will be more valuable than anyone else on the roster in a year or two.

Piffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 04:45 PM
Michael Scofield

I was going to day Chicago gets fleeced, but Gilbert is very good. so fair, i guess

Michael Scofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 04:58 PM
misfit
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
With the exception of Montreal, I there are more reasons for every team in this proposal not to make the deal then there are to go ahead with it.

Edmonton - Don't need forwards (a vetran checking center would be nice though), Gilbert is a cornerstone of their defence, and Subban doesn't bring anything they don't already have.

Chicago - They don't need more youth or puck movers on defence. Havlat and Byfuglien fill a greater need (size, and experience in the top 6). Dandenault is useless.

You can argue the value all you want, but I don't think either of these teams are better after making this deal.

08-22-2008, 05:13 PM
God
Free Citizen

Quote:

Whoops, meant to say Dandenault.

And it doesn't change the fact that Byfuglien > Gilbert and Havlat > Dandenault.

Old
08-22-2008, 05:32 PM
Horseradish

That's all nice and good for Chicago and Edmonton...but Montreal has to give something up to get something as nice as Byfuglien.

Horseradish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 05:34 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Whoops, meant to say Dandenault.

And it doesn't change the fact that Byfuglien > Gilbert and Havlat > Dandenault.
Prove it

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 06:04 PM
IBleedOil247

I think it is fair value wise. No way it would ever happen though.

IBleedOil247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 06:10 PM
God
Free Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponge Joni View Post
Prove it
Well, like I said before, Byfuglien has already shown a dominant power forward game that rivals that of Eric Lindros (in my opinion, I've seen Byfuglien be an absolute beast against the Canucks and I can only think of Eric Lindros as a comparison and maybe Todd Bertuzzi). He has immense potential, and what's better is that he can be a defenseman as well.

Gilbert just doesn't bring as big of a package. I mean, he's a good defenseman, but nothing that I've seen him do screams out "impact player".

Old
08-22-2008, 06:13 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedOil247 View Post
I think it is fair value wise. No way it would ever happen though.
Oilers lose a top 4 Dman and gain another <injury prone> forward ..
CHI gains yet another Dman while losing 2 top6 forwards
MTL gets a top 6 forwards.. an AHLer + cap room for people they have no room for.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 06:51 PM
Vyse64
N64

Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Quote:
Gilbert just doesn't bring as big of a package. I mean, he's a good defenseman, but nothing that I've seen him do screams out "impact player".
I think we are watching two different Tom Gilbert''s then

Vyse64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 07:00 PM
God
Free Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyFreak83 View Post
I think we are watching two different Tom Gilbert''s then
Possibly, I'm basing this off of the games that the Oilers have played against the Canucks.

I'd like to see someone else's opinion of the two chime in cause I'm kinda outnumbered here >_>

Old
08-22-2008, 07:01 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

We need a poll!

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote