HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Turn-about is fair play - Tyutin in Columbus

Old
08-22-2008, 08:33 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

vCash: 500
Turn-about is fair play - Tyutin in Columbus

Ok guys, I've been on here giving my perspective on Zherdev and Fritsche for the Rangers. I hope it has been helpful for the most part.

Hitch said in an interview here: http://lightthelamp.blogspot.com/ (August 20th)

Quote:
* Kelsa - Tyutin; Commodore - Hejda; Backman - Russell/Tolly/etc --- that is the initial thought on d-man pairings. Said that he will use Commodore in the exact same role that Foote was used for. Said Commodore role was lost in Ottawa and they will have a clearly defined role for him. Thinks the Tyutin pairing with Klesla will be a big key if they can mesh. Of course he re-itereated that it will take camp to sort them out.
So what do you think about a Tyutin / Klesla combo? Does Tyutin usualy play on the right or left? Does he pinch in much?

Fill me in please.

Thanks.

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 08:41 PM
DonCherrysSuit
Powerplay Pass Party

Tyutin will dominate wherever, as long as he keeps throwing that hip check.

DonCherrysSuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 08:42 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Tyutin, isnt really a Offensive weapon...yet. he has serious potential to become a 30 point guy. and i think him with Klesla will be a very good 1st unit, IMO. Tyutin has a very good defensive game. Hitch basicly can make him either a defensive guy only, an offensive weapon, or a great 2-way player. and as for Backman.....uhh yeah, 3rd pairing 7th dman sounds about right.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 09:04 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Toots hit a speed bump in his development with us this year. Getting first pair minutes could really bolster his confidence and game. I think if he's not pressured to produce points, he'll be a solid #2 dman for Columbus.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 09:07 PM
Fletch

Toots plays the left side. He will pinch, but isn't very offensive. He's Vladamir Malakhov, but healthy and still with a chance to be someone. My main issue with him is urgency/intensity. He has all the tools - in fact he's good enogh to be a 30+ point guy (good skater, passer, and shooter), but doesn't always put it together. Perhaps Columbus will be a real good situation and he can really realize his potential (not a heck of a lot to complain about him in NY, but he showed too many flashes of brilliance that frustrated me since it wasn't every night).

On Backman - enjoy - I was not a fan. His stats were good with the Rangers, but there's a reason why he was benched in the playoffs and that's because stats do lie.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 09:07 PM
MSG the place to be*

if Backman's cap hit was $0.00 I wouldn't want him in our lineup. he's one of those guys who would make me cringe each and every time he was on the ice and I would breath a sigh of relief when something bad didnt happen on his shift. get used to a lot of frustrating penalties especially if he doesnt feel comfortable right away.

Tyutin isnt perfect but hes the man. Relying on him for 25+ minutes a night sounds dangerous but he may grow into that and I hope he does.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 09:22 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

I'm sort of hoping that with Tyutin on his line, that will allow Klelsa to open up his offensive game a bit.

He has primarily been covering Ron Hainsey's butt for the past two seasons. Klesla has a wicked slapshot and a good wrister. He was supposed to be more of an offensive guy when he was drafted. Klesla just needs to switch stick brands - more broken sticks on one timers on the PP than I want to count. Klesla was usually on the right when playing with Hainsey.

A possible Backman / Russell pairing scares the crap out of me. Almost as much as the Russell / Westcott combo did last year.

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 09:44 PM
Fletch

I don't think you'll have to worry a heck of a lot about covering Toots' back. He pinches, but he's not irresponsible, which is due in part to Renney's system and which should bode well within Hitch's.

Old
08-22-2008, 09:56 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

You're going to like Tyutin a lot as soon as he throws that hip check.

He is a very good player. And a very good team guy.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 12:30 AM
NYR Viper

good idea, let him develop with another younger defenseman who has spome offensive flair and see if they can mesh well....both have underperformed a bit and have contrasting styles of play which on defense normally means they would compliment eachother very well

on backman....he has good offensive ability and he has great games and can eat a ton of ice time....he just needs to cut down on his bonehead turnovers

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 01:13 AM
FLYLine24*

Your going to love Tyutin.

Hes a a very good dman at a young age....plays a smart defensive game, and a physical game (not an overly physical game where he puts him self out of position either)

Sigh...he was my favorite dman over the past couple years...but hey...the trade turned me into a Jacket fan...can't wait to watch him help lead the Defense.

And i highly disagree with the "underperformed" statement. He turned into a very good #3 dman for us..at times he was our #2 dman last season.

So his offense never really came through..who cares..he plays "DEFENSE" and he played that better then everyone most games....that was his job and he did it better then most.

Lastly..the hipcheck is getting overrated.

Yes he throws it once a game sometimes...but he brings a lot more then that. Again...your going to love him and his overall game.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 01:25 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
Tyutin isnt perfect but hes the man. Relying on him for 25+ minutes a night sounds dangerous but he may grow into that and I hope he does.
I don't think his icetime will land on that, closer to 20 minutes. Other defensemen will probably see the 1st unit special teams, and Columbus usually is top-heavy on special teams, using the 1st units more than most other teams (a Hitchcock thing I think).

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 01:41 AM
eco's bones

Fedor can handle 25 minutes of ice time--no problem. The Rangers never really pushed him all that hard for offense either. He's got good size and has all the tools--a couple things left to put together. He hits and sometimes very hard. He doesn't take a lot of penalties either which is something to appreciate. I always had the sense (like I'm hearing about Zherdev) that he's a little bit shy in a cultural or language sense.

Backman on the other hand---eeesh. Ozolinsh without the offense. He made me cringe about every time he hit the ice.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 03:15 AM
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD

Send a message via AIM to Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
He also loves to sign autographs

Man, I'm gonna miss yellin toooooooooooots!!

-Brian

Sm0otHocKeySPeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 03:22 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Tyutin does not have a Malakhov slapshot (when he'd use it).

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 05:51 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

I was not pleased at all with Tyutin's 2nd half last year. And his putrid performance in the playoffs stood out among the awful performances of many Ranger D-men (save Staal). The Rangers could afford to move Tyutin due to the development of Staal, the signing of Redden, and the return of Rozsival eventually pushed him to, at best, the 4th D-man on the Ranger depth chart. Tyutin has the talent to be a top pairing D-man. But, he is prone to more than his share of brain farts, and he does not bring his A-game on a nightly basis. However, he is a solid 2nd paring D-man. But, for the Rangers, with Sanguinetti and Sauer both only a year away, and the investment made to both Redden and Rozsival, it made sense that they would maximize whatever trade interest there was in Tyutin.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 06:29 AM
Fletch

put another way, jas, the Rangers had depth in the top four defensive spot (youth that is) and didn't have as much depth at forward, and really Dawes was the closest thing to an under-30, NHL ready top six forward. Further, Zherdev as a UFA would've been prohibitively expensive. So they needed a top six forward from somewhere.

Old
08-23-2008, 06:55 AM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I was not pleased at all with Tyutin's 2nd half last year. And his putrid performance in the playoffs stood out among the awful performances of many Ranger D-men (save Staal).
I'm glad someone else feels this way. I actually thought at the time, Tyutin was the Rangers worst defenseman down the stretch and in the playoffs. It seems like he was making mistake after mistake, and he never bounced back.

Let me put it this way - my father starting watching games with me sometime in late February or early March, not having watched the Rangers in a few years and not being at all familiar with any of these young players, and the by the time the Rangers were eliminated, he was asking me why this guy (Tyutin) was on the Rangers when he was "so bad", and why he played on the 2nd pair, and so on.

Point being, I think most of you are still seeing Tyutin through hipcheck-colored glasses. He really hit a wall this season, and his play wasn't very inspired and again, he was probably the Rangers worst defenseman at the most important time of the year. It was turnover after turnover, and it was extremely frustrating to watch. The hipchecks he threw doesn't suddenly make all that disappear, and they certainly weren't the kind of hipchecks some of you are describing them as. For the most part, it was Tyutin using his hip to check someone into the boards, it wasn't really the open-ice hipcheck where the opposing player flips over and lands hard.

Anyway, the signing of Redden made Tyutin expendable, and I think Sather made a great move by dealing from strength and acquiring Zherdev, which could turn out to be a major coup. Probably Sather's best single move, on paper, as Rangers GM.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 11:24 AM
D713B

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post
Probably Sather's best single move, on paper, as Rangers GM.
While it appears to be a good move, I wouldn't go that far.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 11:59 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Anson Carter straight up for Jaromir Jagr…and having Washington pay half of Jagr's salary for 3 full seasons.

THAT was Sather's best move.

Old
08-23-2008, 12:01 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
Anson Carter straight up for Jaromir Jagr…and having Washington pay half of Jagr's salary for 3 full seasons.

THAT was Sather's best move.

Only after the whole league turned Sather down when he tried to deal Jagr at the deadline in 2004.

Old
08-23-2008, 12:28 PM
lotus

I'll miss Tyutin, mostly because he was our only D man who would really step up and hit someone like he wanted them dead. Granted, he did not do it often....it's just that he's the only one who would. But Staal will do that more I think. I can just remember every time Tyutin decided that he really wanted to hit someone, a helmet or glove was flying halfway across the rink.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 12:45 PM
bleedblue94

Quote:
Only after the whole league turned Sather down when he tried to deal Jagr at the deadline in 2004.
huh?

bleedblue94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 12:47 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Washington, not Sather.

And what does that matter?

The deal was still Anson Carter for Jagr.

And the following season Jagr put up the single greatest individual season in Rangers history by scoring more goals in a single season and putting up more points in a single season then anyone else in Rangers history.

Not to mention carried the Rangers to the playoffs for the first time in 8 years.

And single handedly brought respectability to the Organization again.

Yes, Anson Carter for Jagr, no matter what circumstance, while only paying half his salary for 3 years, was the best move Sather made during his tenure with the Rangers.

Old
08-23-2008, 12:48 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue94 View Post
huh?
When the great purge took place in 2004, Sather offered EVERY vet around. The only three players he couldn't get a deal for were Jagr, Holik and Poti.