HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Montreal - Pittsburgh

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-22-2008, 01:07 PM
  #1
Noldo
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,007
vCash: 500
Montreal - Pittsburgh

Straigh forward player for player swap or should there be equalising factors?

To Montreal:
Jordan Staal

To Pittsburgh:
Andrei Kastitsyn

Why would Montreal do this?
- They get their big center to lead their 1st line for years to come
- After acquiring Tanguay, Habs currently have good debth on the wings with Kovalev, Taguay and S.Kastitsyn capable to play on RW and A.Kastitsyn, Tanguay, Higgins and Latendresse capable to play LW (I know Tanguay is listed twice), wit Pacioretty and D'Agostini trying to earn their spots on the big team, making it possible for Habs to deal a winger for upgrade in weaker area

Why would Montreal not do this?
- A.Kost managed to score 26 goals last season, he is late bloomer, but could become really good (40 goals and/or ppg player)
- Montreal just signed Kastitsyn to extension

Why would Pittsburgh do this?
- They would get sniper winger to play alongside Crosby
- A.Kost is signed for three years at 3.250 per. At worst the contract will be reasonable (if last season was Kostitsyn plateau)

Why would Pittsburgh not do this?
- They have reason to believe that Staal could be signed for cheap (less than 4,0 per) as 3rd line defensive center
- They believe they could get better package elsewhere (Is there really team in need of center that could give at least good winger in return?)

Flame away!

Noldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 01:09 PM
  #2
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,515
vCash: 500
Awards:
I think both sides say "no thanks" here.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 01:10 PM
  #3
Orym
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 40
vCash: 500
I think there will be teams A LOT higher on Staal then that. Pittsburgh could get a lot better return.

Orym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 01:13 PM
  #4
Squeaky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orym View Post
I think there will be teams A LOT higher on Staal then that. Pittsburgh could get a lot better return.
I doubt it. You might get something you like a little better, but it's not like you're going to get a package twice as good or anything.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 01:14 PM
  #5
Renholder
Racing like a pro
 
Renholder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,566
vCash: 500
No slight to Staal but we`ll keep Andrei. He`s a bonafide first line winger in the mold of Vanek. I`ll keep him.

Renholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 01:15 PM
  #6
R0bert0 Lu0ng0
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,465
vCash: 500
Pittsburgh's bottom six looks awfully weak without Staal, imho.

That and if their fans are any indication the Habs probably think Kostitsyn is going to be the next Guy Lafleur or something.

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 01:17 PM
  #7
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn
 
Modo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,421
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
Pittsburgh's bottom six looks awfully weak without Staal, imho.

That and if their fans are any indication the Habs probably think Kostitsyn is going to be the next Guy Lafleur or something.
Whereas all Pens fans are completely realistic when it comes to Staal's potential?

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 01:18 PM
  #8
Ross MacLochness
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,774
vCash: 500
Staal isn't enough to persuade Gainey to consider splitting up the brothers at this point.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 01:22 PM
  #9
Orym
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 40
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
I doubt it. You might get something you like a little better, but it's not like you're going to get a package twice as good or anything.
You aren't going to get a better offer as of right now, true enough. A deadline deal for Staal in a year or so could fetch way more is what I was saying.

Orym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 01:25 PM
  #10
Nikita Filatov*
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,301
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
I don't think Staal would be traded 1-1...He strikes me as the kind of player that's the centerpiece of a deal for a star...For that reason I doubt the pens trade him.

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 01:26 PM
  #11
R0bert0 Lu0ng0
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Whereas all Pens fans are completely realistic when it comes to Staal's potential?
I don't think so, but you have to admit Staal is a tough one to call - I think even though his offensive numbers dipped last year he was a tremendous all-around player for them in the playoffs, and we've never even seen him in an offensive role yet.

You've got to wonder what he might be able to do freed from some of his defensive responsibilities and playing between a couple of offensively gifted wingers..

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 02:05 PM
  #12
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 42,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldo View Post
Why would Pittsburgh do this?
- They're trippin' balls.

Why would Pittsburgh not do this?
- They realize that there's absolutely no incentive in the world to trade a 6'4" defensive beast who already has a 29 goal season under his belt (despite playing out of his natural position) at age 19 for someone who's smaller, 3 years older, less impressive in his own end, and hasn't scored as many goals in a season.
Fixed.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 02:37 PM
  #13
Squeaky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orym View Post
You aren't going to get a better offer as of right now, true enough. A deadline deal for Staal in a year or so could fetch way more is what I was saying.
Oh, in that case I agree; that's very possible. Especially if Malkin/Crosby go down for a decent length of time and he gets a chance to carry a scoring line.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 02:41 PM
  #14
tgo0
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 275
vCash: 500
Value wise I'd say it's pretty close but don't think either teams wants to do this.

tgo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 08:06 PM
  #15
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking
 
Jill Sandwich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arklay Mansion
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,674
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Whereas all Pens fans are completely realistic when it comes to Staal's potential?
Really, believing that a top prospect who got Selke votes as an 18 year old might develop into the league's class two-way/shutdown center?



I have a question. Montreal finished 1st in the East, Pittsburgh finished 2nd and went to the Finals. ... Are either of these teams in dire need of shaking up the roster, bringing in new blood? I don't think so.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 08:15 PM
  #16
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn
 
Modo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,421
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Therrien View Post
Really, believing that a top prospect who got Selke votes as an 18 year old might develop into the league's class two-way/shutdown center?



I have a question. Montreal finished 1st in the East, Pittsburgh finished 2nd and went to the Finals. ... Are either of these teams in dire need of shaking up the roster, bringing in new blood? I don't think so.
Detroit won the Cup, and nabbed Hossa less than a month later.

Did they need him? Probably not, but made the move nonetheless.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 08:22 PM
  #17
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 42,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Detroit won the Cup, and nabbed Hossa less than a month later.

Did they need him? Probably not, but made the move nonetheless.
Of course, they gave up nothing for Hossa and got him at below market value for a risk-free one year term.

I don't think that's the case here.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 08:22 PM
  #18
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking
 
Jill Sandwich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arklay Mansion
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,674
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Detroit won the Cup, and nabbed Hossa less than a month later.

Did they need him? Probably not, but made the move nonetheless.
A free agent signing is not a trade.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 08:29 PM
  #19
Cliff O Malley
Registered User
 
Cliff O Malley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: I DUNNO?
Country: United States
Posts: 3,726
vCash: 500
Not a bad propsal at all. But I think its still a no from the Pens side.

Cliff O Malley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 08:36 PM
  #20
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 6,856
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
Staal isn't enough to persuade Gainey to consider splitting up the brothers at this point.
No team in this league can afford splitting up the brothers at this time. Andrei & Sergei proved that last year when they were finally on the same roster.

You are definitely right... And Staal isn't worth both of them.

Gaborik.. maybe.. still I wouldn't consider it after AK proved himself last year.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 08:48 PM
  #21
mrinsane
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldo View Post
Straigh forward player for player swap or should there be equalising factors?

To Montreal:
Jordan Staal

To Pittsburgh:
Andrei Kastitsyn

Why would Montreal do this?
- They get their big center to lead their 1st line for years to come
- After acquiring Tanguay, Habs currently have good debth on the wings with Kovalev, Taguay and S.Kastitsyn capable to play on RW and A.Kastitsyn, Tanguay, Higgins and Latendresse capable to play LW (I know Tanguay is listed twice), wit Pacioretty and D'Agostini trying to earn their spots on the big team, making it possible for Habs to deal a winger for upgrade in weaker area

Why would Montreal not do this?
- A.Kost managed to score 26 goals last season, he is late bloomer, but could become really good (40 goals and/or ppg player)
- Montreal just signed Kastitsyn to extension

Why would Pittsburgh do this?
- They would get sniper winger to play alongside Crosby
- A.Kost is signed for three years at 3.250 per. At worst the contract will be reasonable (if last season was Kostitsyn plateau)

Why would Pittsburgh not do this?
- They have reason to believe that Staal could be signed for cheap (less than 4,0 per) as 3rd line defensive center
- They believe they could get better package elsewhere (Is there really team in need of center that could give at least good winger in return?)

Flame away!
Eh! No

mrinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 09:14 PM
  #22
IranCondraAffair
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,227
vCash: 500
Pitt could get a lot more from a different team.


edit: I do however see him getting traded though since Pitt has been handing contracts out like candy recently and they're running out of room.


Last edited by IranCondraAffair: 08-22-2008 at 09:41 PM.
IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 09:26 PM
  #23
Ludicrous Speed
Registered User
 
Ludicrous Speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Killumbus
Country: Micronesia
Posts: 11,043
vCash: 500
That's more than I'd give up for Staal. He hasn't been impressive to me. Seems like a total meathead of what I've seen of him.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 09:35 PM
  #24
PKV Jungle Friends
Gonna Be a Gas...
 
PKV Jungle Friends's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Top of The Blacklist
Country: United States
Posts: 4,466
vCash: 500
Staal is Ray Shero's guy, so I think it would take a lot more to get him than this.

No slight at Kastitsyn or anything, but this wouldn't get it done for the Pens.

PKV Jungle Friends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 09:44 PM
  #25
Ludicrous Speed
Registered User
 
Ludicrous Speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Killumbus
Country: Micronesia
Posts: 11,043
vCash: 500
btw it's Kostitsyn

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.