HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How to become a USA hockey coach

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-22-2008, 02:24 PM
  #1
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!
 
Gunnar Stahl 30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Marty's Better
Country: Iceland
Posts: 14,908
vCash: 500
How to become a USA hockey coach

how do i do this? i know i have to go to some class but i do i find out when and where? i ve been looking all over usa hockeys website but its very confusing and doesnt give me the asnswers im looking for. im already registered as a player, unless it expired, so what do i have to do to become a coach??

thank you

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 02:36 PM
  #2
Felonious Python
Moderator
Purple Squirrel
 
Felonious Python's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Hot Seat
Posts: 13,073
vCash: 500
Certification is overrated, more of a formality really.

Registration manual: http://www.usahockey.com//Template_U...O_12&ID=220328

Get a user name and go to...

Clinics: http://www.usahockey.com/viewallclinics.aspx
Right now, clinic choices are relatively slim. I forget when they pick up, but there are a few months of the year that USA Hockey tries to get a lot available.

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 02:41 PM
  #3
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!
 
Gunnar Stahl 30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Marty's Better
Country: Iceland
Posts: 14,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
Certification is overrated, more of a formality really.

Registration manual: http://www.usahockey.com//Template_U...O_12&ID=220328

Get a user name and go to...

Clinics: http://www.usahockey.com/viewallclinics.aspx
Right now, clinic choices are slim. I forget when they pick up again, but there are a few months of the year that USA Hockey tries to get a lot available.
thank you. i need one or i cant go on theice even for practices. what should i choose for the first drop down? cep level 1? i dont even know what that is or what i would choose. i dont have any coaching experience

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 04:19 PM
  #4
Superman33
Registered User
 
Superman33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Bucks County.
Country: United States
Posts: 1,856
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Superman33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
thank you. i need one or i cant go on theice even for practices. what should i choose for the first drop down? cep level 1? i dont even know what that is or what i would choose. i dont have any coaching experience
I am doing the same thing right now. It depends on the level you are going to be coaching. I am doing JV so I need up to a level 3, but you need to take level 1 and level 2 first. I heard they are a giant joke, they are pretty much just stealing money. As long as you are signed up to be taking the classes you are good to go on the ice. I am not taking my first one till October. Playing up through college hockey and being a teacher I am pretty sure I got this coaching thing down. I am eventually just going to go do that level 4 one so I don't have to recert at level 3 every year.

Superman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 04:47 PM
  #5
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!
 
Gunnar Stahl 30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Marty's Better
Country: Iceland
Posts: 14,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman33 View Post
I am doing the same thing right now. It depends on the level you are going to be coaching. I am doing JV so I need up to a level 3, but you need to take level 1 and level 2 first. I heard they are a giant joke, they are pretty much just stealing money. As long as you are signed up to be taking the classes you are good to go on the ice. I am not taking my first one till October. Playing up through college hockey and being a teacher I am pretty sure I got this coaching thing down. I am eventually just going to go do that level 4 one so I don't have to recert at level 3 every year.
yea im coaching jv also. how quickly can you go from level 1 to 3?

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 05:13 PM
  #6
thescout23
Registered User
 
thescout23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 63
vCash: 500
im almost sure you can only do two classes a year. If you need a level 3, as long as you did 1 and 2 this year, you can go on the bench. They have a pretty odd system and the classes pick up in the sept/oct months. The classes themselves are pretty easy. Level 1 is on ice and its painful. Level 2 and 3 are seminars and if you get a decent speaker it might not be so bad.
Good Luck

thescout23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 05:36 PM
  #7
Headcoach
Registered User
 
Headcoach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 746
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
yea im coaching jv also. how quickly can you go from level 1 to 3?
Well, that depends on what state you live in. In most states, you have to be in that CEP level for one year before you can advance to the next level.

However, in the state of Arizona, you can take all three levels within the same year. Yeah it's a joke! The whole purpose of waiting one year between levels is so you get some experience behind you.

Plus, as you know, each level of age groups you coach, requires a different level of CEP. So if you have never coached before and you want to coach JV, you might only get the chance to be an assistant coach. But that might also depend on your hockey director and the number of coaches within his program.

Good luck

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 06:41 PM
  #8
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!
 
Gunnar Stahl 30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Marty's Better
Country: Iceland
Posts: 14,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Well, that depends on what state you live in. In most states, you have to be in that CEP level for one year before you can advance to the next level.

However, in the state of Arizona, you can take all three levels within the same year. Yeah it's a joke! The whole purpose of waiting one year between levels is so you get some experience behind you.

Plus, as you know, each level of age groups you coach, requires a different level of CEP. So if you have never coached before and you want to coach JV, you might only get the chance to be an assistant coach. But that might also depend on your hockey director and the number of coaches within his program.

Good luck

Head coach
yea i would only be the assistant coach anyway. i would probably run practice though cause the other coach cant skate....yea. but thanks for the info guys

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 10:01 PM
  #9
Superman33
Registered User
 
Superman33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Bucks County.
Country: United States
Posts: 1,856
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Superman33
For mine it just says you have to be registered to take the level 1 the day before you take level 2, the same with level 3. I am going to take level 1 and 2 back to back, then 3 the next time it is offered like a month later. All of the ones I am looking at are at colleges and don't involve going anywhere near the ice. They just say to bring a notebook and pencil.

Superman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 01:34 PM
  #10
Headcoach
Registered User
 
Headcoach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 746
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman33 View Post
For mine it just says you have to be registered to take the level 1 the day before you take level 2, the same with level 3. I am going to take level 1 and 2 back to back, then 3 the next time it is offered like a month later. All of the ones I am looking at are at colleges and don't involve going anywhere near the ice. They just say to bring a notebook and pencil.
Well, generally they provide you with all of the paper work that comes in a binder or notebook. I recommed that you take a pen and a high lighter. Oh and some business cards to do networking with....very important!

Level 1 has on-ice training. Levels 2 and 3 are in a class room setting where each class is about 8 hours long. They do break for lunch and normally, depending on the state, they give you an hour for lunch that you buy for yourself.

Level 4 and 5 are National seminars and they run about 5 days each. In these classes you have head speakers that could be NHL or College coaches. In level 5, you will have a Master's theses to do which should take you several days or months to complete.

Both 4 and 5 can be a little pricey. Five days at a hotel, plus meals, plus airfare, plus the course. Could run you anywhere from $1500 to $2000. Hopefully by that time, your association will pick up the tab.

But, If I were your hockey director, I would only pay for the most seasoned coaches to go to those levels. But you can always go pay for them yourself...like I did!

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.