HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edmonton/Montreal

Old
08-23-2008, 12:45 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

vCash: 500
Edmonton/Montreal

To MTL:
Marc Pouliot
Dwayne Roloson
Jean-Francois Jacques

To EDM:

Jaroslav Halak
Mathieu Dandenault
7th round pick

Marc Pouliot - former 1st round pick in '03, he played really well for the Oilers in '06-'07, scoring 10 points in 40 games, but is now likely considered expendable because of the depth of the Oilers' forwards. He'll likely see time on the 4th line this year if he stays with the Oilers, and he recently signed a 2-year/1-way contract, meaning Lowe might have told him that he would find him a place to play if not with the Oilers
Dwayne Roloson - he's one of the most experienced goaltenders and vocal leaders. Plus he's a solid backup as well, with a 0.901 or better SV% since coming to Edmonton 3 years ago (despite the Oilers playing 0.500 hockey parts of the last two seasons). The main reason Montreal would want him is to have insurance in net behind Price. While Halak and Price are both solid goaltenders with lots of potential, I think Gainey wants someone who has been to the finals before (2 years ago) in case Price struggles in the Habs' 100th year. Roloson is also a UFA in '09, so the Habs can let him walk away and have more money to resign Tanguay, Kovalev, Koivu, etc.
Jean-Francois Jacques - he's a big, rugged PF who was also drafted in '03, who has been very good in the AHL (close to a PPG the last few seasons), but has really struggled to find his game with the Oilers. He also put up pretty good numbers when he played for the Hamilton Bulldogs in '05-'06 (the Habs' farm team), with some of the young players who are now with the Canadiens. Even though he's a bit of a reclaimation project, the main reason Montreal would be interested in him is because he is a bulking power forward who has had success at the AHL level.

Jaroslav Halak - he's a very good young goaltender, who put up some of the best numbers in the AHL last season. Nonetheless, it's clear that Price is the future goaltender for the Habs, and chances are that Halak will only play about 30 games total this season and spend the rest of the season as the backup. The reason the Oilers would want him is that they are still a young team with depth at every position, except goaltending. Garon and Roloson are both former backups who have yet to prove they can carry a team for a whole season (Garon looked great last season and many Oiler fans want him to sign an extension, but I can't help but be reminded of how the same thing happened to Roloson: signed to an extension after an incredible cup run, but then had an average season the next year), and both will become UFAs in '09. Dubnyk and Deslauries are both unproven, but by the looks of it, both will become backup NHL goaltenders (despite Dubnyk being drafted in the 1st round). Another important factor to consider is that Halak resigned with the Habs (even after there were rumors that he wanted to return to Europe/Russia) to a two-year contract, despite knowing that he'd be Price's backup and only play a handful of games a season. This makes me think that Gainey might have promised him that he would try and trade him at some point during the season so that he gets more playing time. In addition, during last year's trade deadline, Gainey talked about how the Habs added to the two best players from the AHL (Grabovski and Halak), and made it seem as if neither of them would be traded in the near future. However, Grabovski was traded only a short time later in July, making it seem as if Halak might not be untouchable either. Halak is able to split the duties with Garon for this season in Edmonton, and then become the starter next season.
Mathieu Dandenault - From the Habs' perspective, this is simply a salary dump. Dandenault is a great locker room guy, but there's simply no room for his 1.75 million dollar salary, especially if the Habs take on Roloson's 3 million dollar salary. He's been on the block for a while now, with recent reports that Gainey had all but traded him to the Rangers last season at the deadline. In Edmonton, Dandenault is able to replace Pouliot on the 4th line, as well as serve as a defenseman if there are injuries on the blueline. He's also a UFA in '09, so the Oilers are able to let him walk away and spend money resigning Cole, Grebeshkov, etc.
7th Round Pick - This is only so that there are an equal number of bodies going both ways.

In the end, the Oilers recieve Halak, who will undoubted be traded at some point during the next two seasons. Like I said, the very fact that he signed a two-year contract extension, knowing full well that he'd be the backup, makes me think that perhaps Gainey has promised him the opportunity to play somewhere else as the #1, if not in Montreal. Halak has a lot of potential, but not a lot of value. Take for example Bryzgalov, who is a very similar player to Halak in terms of experience and performance, who had to placed on waivers because there were no takers for him. The same goes for Montoya, a blue chip prospect heralded to be a fine #1 goaltender some day, who was traded to PHX along with average roster players (Marcel Hossa I believe), for another equally average roster player (Sjostrom). Other comparables are Emery (young goaltender who led his team to the SCF only one season ago, but couldn't find a job in the NHL this season) and Huet (an all-star goalie who was available for a 2nd round pick at the trade deadline).

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 12:56 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

So Montreal really gets a whole lot of nothing tangible as an improvement for the lineup in exchange for Halak. No thanks.

Pouliot would be in the 4th line rotation in Montreal. JFJ wouldn't make the club and would be subjected to waivers (I think he's eligible now), and Roloson is an average backup who's not happy in a backup role.

08-23-2008, 01:08 AM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
I'd make this move in an instant as an Oiler fan.

However.

I would be very leery to move Jacques. He's had obvious issues in the NHL... but he has also decimated the AHL when he's been there. Is he an actual AAAA player, or are we just waiting for the lightbulb to go on?

I'm not saying he's going to be Cam Neely, but a guy with his size, speed, willingness to hit and willingness to go to the net, along with leadership, has "MISTAKE" written all over him in moving him.

I've always been a fan of Pouliot as well. Guy can make and take a pass at speed and has some very respectable defensive numbers in his short NHL career.

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 03:01 AM
Krut

An absolutely brutal deal for Montreal but as an Oiler fan I'd do that trade without batting an eye.

Krut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 03:11 AM
24morecupsthanyou*

replace pouliot with either schremp or brule, and then we'll talk... perhaps the habs give a better a draft pick.
like it was said before, pouliot and jacques do very little for the habs as they can't do much for the team right now nor do they have much upside. Halak could be a no.1 goalie in the league right now, he's that good. Heck, i'm kind of scared of Price and I wouldn't be surprised to see Halak pick up a potentially fumbled ball and run with it.

24morecupsthanyou* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 06:35 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

I don't even know if I'd give Dandenault alone for that package, let alone Halak.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 09:13 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I don't even know if I'd give Dandenault alone for that package, let alone Halak.
I was tempted to take the deal just to get rid of Dandenault.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 09:48 AM

Begin, Kostopoulos, Lapierre, Dandenault, Laraque, Chipchura, Pouliot, Jacques

How many 4th liners do we need?

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 10:18 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Look, Oiler fans, if you want Halak in exchange for a young center, it's gotta be for Nash or Cogliano (as part of a bigger deal obviously). Not even for near busts Schremp or Brule like 24cups suggested. The Habs won't deal Halak, as of right now, for spare parts. They have him under contract for 2 years and they can wait for the right moment to deal him. The goalie market isn't guaranteed to stay like it is now forever.

We don't want Marc Pouliot. We have zero need for him with our own similar aged centers in Chipchura and Lapierre around to center the bottom line(s). JF Jacques wouldn't even crack our top line in the AHL most likely, let alone our NHL team.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 01:17 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Look, Oiler fans, if you want Halak in exchange for a young center, it's gotta be for Nash or Cogliano (as part of a bigger deal obviously). Not even for near busts Schremp or Brule like 24cups suggested. The Habs won't deal Halak, as of right now, for spare parts. They have him under contract for 2 years and they can wait for the right moment to deal him. The goalie market isn't guaranteed to stay like it is now forever.

We don't want Marc Pouliot. We have zero need for him with our own similar aged centers in Chipchura and Lapierre around to center the bottom line(s). JF Jacques wouldn't even crack our top line in the AHL most likely, let alone our NHL team.
BUT... BUT... we're giving you TWO French players

Seriously.. as an Oiler fan I would take this deal in a heartbeat and wait for the cops to arrest us for robbery.

I would also immediately put Dandeneault on waivers and buy him out.

08-23-2008, 01:20 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
I would also immediately put Dandeneault on waivers and buy him out.
Except you can't buy him out.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 01:25 PM
RE-HABS

I'd rather send Dandenault to the minors.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 01:27 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Except you can't buy him out.
Why is that?

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 01:32 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Why is that?
Because the deadline to do so has passed.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 01:51 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFlyer View Post
Because the deadline to do so has passed.
sorry forgive my ignorance, but are you talking about the player personally, or a set date to buy out any player?

Old
08-23-2008, 02:29 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
sorry forgive my ignorance, but are you talking about the player personally, or a set date to buy out any player?
I believe the deadline to buyout any player was July 15th-30th. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong...

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 02:31 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

Quote:
I believe the deadline to buyout any player was July 15th-30th. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong...
Oh.. ok. Thanks for the clarification. Not really schooled on the CBA. Either way, with an owner of Katz'es ilk, we could send Dandeneault to the minors or hope someone picks him up on waivers. If he plays in the minors his salary isn't counted towards the cap right?

Old
08-23-2008, 03:06 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I was tempted to take the deal just to get rid of Dandenault.
And take back twice as much salary for a backup goaltender who sucks?

Quote:
Oh.. ok. Thanks for the clarification. Not really schooled on the CBA. Either way, with an owner of Katz'es ilk, we could send Dandeneault to the minors or hope someone picks him up on waivers. If he plays in the minors his salary isn't counted towards the cap right?
Right.

Or you could throw him on re-entry waivers, I'm sure he'd get picked up for $900 k.

Old
08-23-2008, 03:29 PM
FunkyChicken
Dishonor for Connor

I think Roloson really gets a bad rap on HF. At this point he's a decent back-up goalie who can play 20-25 games. Where his value lies is that he has shown himself to be a decent mentor to the younger players. I think having him around to mentor Price would be a long term benefit to Price's career.

That said, Roloson is at best worth at 4-5th round pick. Halak on the otherhand, is a young potential starter is this league and has lots of value. If Montreal is going to move him it's going to be for a "difference maker" at the deadline ala the Hossa deal of last spring, to help propel them through the play-offs.

Roloson, JFJ and Pouliot are not "difference makers".

FunkyChicken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 09:08 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Quote:
You are off by a month. June is the buyout period.

Unless you have players who filed for arbitration...you can buyout somebody after the case is held (or would have been held) in that case.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 10:35 PM
Cogliano13Gagner89

No because of Dandanault. He's useless.

Roloson is more valuable to any team then Dandanault.

Cogliano13Gagner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 11:28 PM
Canuckle
West Coast Express

All i see is salary dump. No owners or GMs would be stupid enough to make this deal. Montreal loses in this one with unwanted salary.

Canuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 11:55 PM
HybridStylez*

Hell no for Montreal. They can get sooooooooo much better in return for Halak...

HybridStylez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 11:56 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogliano13Gagner89 View Post
No because of Dandanault. He's useless.

Roloson is more valuable to any team then Dandanault.

There is no way, right now, that Roloson could crack our roster. He wouldn't even start in Hamilton, because Desjardins is going to get every chance in the world to be the #1 down there.

A $3M cap hit to sit on the bench or a $1.7M cap hit to sit on the bench?

Math is pretty easy..

Old
08-24-2008, 12:01 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Here's a trade that would benefit both teams in my humble opinion:

To Edmonton:
Higgins
Halak
Dandenault