HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Wood sticks...are they all the same?

Old
08-22-2008, 11:18 PM
mikeylikey

vCash: 500
Wood sticks...are they all the same?

At the pro shop at my local rink, they have a huge wall of wooden sticks. I'll admit, I have bought a bunch of them because they are dirt cheap, and I like to collect them.

Recently, I decided to use one during a pick up game. While I love the light feel of a composite stick, the wooden stick "felt good" in my hands, and I had a nice slapshot with it.

The sticks I have in my "collection" are I guess replicas of expensive player sticks with different curves...RBK, CCM Vectors, Easton Synergys, etc. The one I used on ice was a CCM Vector, Ovechkin curve.

My question is...are all of the wooden sticks I see pretty much the same? They are all relatively close in price ($25 - $35)...and they all feel like they weight the same...is there one kind of wood stick better than another?

mikeylikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 11:46 PM
lextune
I'm too old for this

vCash: 50
Sherwood 5030 best woody ever. ;D

lextune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 11:55 PM
Biggsy

I like the Spezza sherwood and Nash TPS wood i think the flex in wood sticks are different according to the player once in awhile i like to use the good ol wood when the one piece or alum' shaft isn't working

Biggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 12:01 AM
deanosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by lextune View Post
Sherwood 5030 best woody ever. ;D
You know what.. Alot of people say that actually, it's a very good woody indeed

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 12:25 AM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeylikey View Post
My question is...are all of the wooden sticks I see pretty much the same?
No! I got a bunch of NikeBauer woods on sale, and they are terrible. I also recently picked up a TPS for like $10, and it's OK, but not nearly as good as the Sherwoods. Those 5030s are great, especially the Crosby curves.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 05:54 AM
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

I loved my One40's!

raygunpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 08:28 AM
Marc Bergevins Suit
Realistic Hab Fan

vCash: 246
Easton Z-Carbons

Marc Bergevins Suit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 10:26 AM
mikeylikey

Ok, so WHY is one wooden stick better than another?

When I look on manufacturer websites, they all have info on what's inside the stick, why it's better than others, etc...so what makes the Sher-Wood better than the "cheap" Nike sticks?

mikeylikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 12:14 PM
noobman

I use fibreglass sticks with a "wood core".

They're about the same price as a high end wood stick, they don't break as easily, and they're lighter than fully wooden sticks.

I have had nothing but bad luck with Sherwood sticks... I don't think I've had a single Sherwood that's lasted more than four games.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 12:21 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:

When I look on manufacturer websites, they all have info on what's inside the stick, why it's better than others, etc...so what makes the Sher-Wood better than the "cheap" Nike sticks?
Quote:

I used to always use wood sticks playing floor hockey in college, 3-4 hours a week, so without using tape you could see the wear and tear on the blades better. I went through a good variety, would but one, use it till it wore it, then try a different kind. I bought one Nike stick, with a Federov blade, and the thing was a POS. Two or three weeks in and the blade was done. The stick I bought in my last year on the other hand, a KOHO Torpedo, survived the entire year. When I started playing ice hockey this winter and was having a hard time finding the right stick, I pulled that one out the closet and it's still going strong, even though it's been beat up to hell and has numerous chunks missing from the top.

So I'm only going by experience, but difference in quality leads to better durability on the blade. You won't notice this as much in ice hockey of course, if it even matters at all, because the blade is taped. When the blade is bare though you can easily see the wear on the bottom from impact with the ground/ice, and the wear on the top from getting hit by other sticks.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 12:51 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:

Personal preference, IMO. I have a buddy who swears NikeBauer woods are the best thing ever. I can't stand them.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 01:41 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
My question is...are all of the wooden sticks I see pretty much the same? They are all relatively close in price ($25 - $35)...and they all feel like they weight the same...is there one kind of wood stick better than another?
Go here: http://www.passthepuck.net/id1026.htm

This Chart might help. Plus, I designed a Lie comparison as well.

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 06:53 PM
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

That chart is old, so be careful of current changes to curves.

raygunpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 07:04 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by raygunpk View Post
That chart is old, so be careful of current changes to curves.
Well to be honest, I got it from The Hockey Stop. And owner allowed me to use it on my site and he told me that he just updated it. I have to take him on his word. I added the Lie chart.

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 02:41 AM
nullterm

I've been using Easton Ultra Lites and they've been good to me.

Just for fun, I might pickup a something else to give it a go. But I've not had any complaints with my Eastons.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 12:51 PM
Heat McManus

Sher-Wood and Montreal are really the only two companies left that put any effort into their wooden sticks.

The SWD 5030 is an amazing stick, but it's not stiff enough for some people. The 7000 and 9950s are very well received as well.

Montreal uses wood with layers or inserts of carbon, fibreglass, and foam in their sticks that make them pretty light. I've used them a few times and they were comfy. I don't think they are as responsive as Sher-Woods though.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 02:59 PM
krax

I used to play on a competitive level when there where only wooden sticks around. There were huge differences: balance, stiffness, kickpoint, blade curve, lie... basically the same as with composite sticks.
There were differences even within the same stick model.

Back then, I would change sticks every second week, even if they were not broken. A new stick had much better response. So yes, there were differences and I assume there still are.

krax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 03:28 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
Sher-Wood and Montreal are really the only two companies left that put any effort into their wooden sticks.

The SWD 5030 is an amazing stick, but it's not stiff enough for some people. The 7000 and 9950s are very well received as well.

Montreal uses wood with layers or inserts of carbon, fibreglass, and foam in their sticks that make them pretty light. I've used them a few times and they were comfy. I don't think they are as responsive as Sher-Woods though.
I second the Montreals. I do wish they would go back to making all wood sticks though.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 06:38 AM
Grind Line

I use a wooden Lidstrom Easton stick and it's cool for practice etc but i've been advised by quite a few guys on the team to get a composite one piecer. I'll be looking into that!

Grind Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 08:17 PM
We'reGonnaWin*

If you're still learning the game, I'd advise you to stick to woods for your development. Switching over to composites will mean you lose a lot of the puck feel you get from the natural resonance of wood.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 09:06 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Bauer One40, Easton Classic, and Sherwood 5030 are all supposed to be about the same with the light wood core and laminate wood shaft for strength. I find the Sherwood feels a little softer than the other two. TPS also has a version which feels stiff. All the manufacturers also make stiffer/longer versions of the sticks as well.

Easton's Z-Carbon has a carbon fiber blade for durability, although some people find they snap off at the hosel. Bauer used to have a version but don't anymore.

My favorite is the Montreal 4400. It's a similar construction to the other sticks, but it's thinner and lighter, and it has more of a whippy flex feel to it. It also feels like the wood is higher quality as they last a good while. Plus their blades have ABS (plastic) along the bottom and inside so they are much more durable. Any other wood stick is way too stiff for me and the blade breaks apart after a few skates.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 11:49 AM
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD

Send a message via AIM to Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
Man did I love those Montreal's...I swore by them for quite a long time.

-Brian

Sm0otHocKeySPeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 08:42 PM
clefty
What?

I still use an old Montreal.

Good ol' dependable Monty.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 03:22 PM
busta9

i use a wood stick for my back up stick... Bauer flexlite 10 says low kick on it and I get a much harder shot with it then other woodys I have used.

busta9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 01:29 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I went on the hunt for a Montreal 4400 last week but couldn't find one. Ended up with a One40 intermediate woodie. The flex is much nicer than the One40 senior I have, and it's plenty long (actually have to cut it). Only problem is the blade torques open and slapshots are weak. Oh well, it's a backup until I can sell some more stuff for another Dolomite.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote