HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Future Cap Problem Question...

Old
08-23-2008, 04:02 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Future Cap Problem Question...

Hey Rangers fans,

I've noticed that a lot of people have Dubinsky slotted in ahead of Drury on their depth charts. Now I don't think that makes much sense when hockey politics are considered.
My question is, if Dubinsky's totals are higher than Drury and he's, overall, more useful, what stops him from looking at Drury and saying "Why don't I get paid that much?"
Of course Drury can say a lot of things that Dubinsky can't, but in a lot of peoples minds Drury is way, way undeserving of the contract. So have the Rangers set themselves up to shoot them selves in the foot or will the seas be calm?

Discuss...

PS. Even though I'll be super peeved, I hope Nazzy plays well for you guys.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 04:07 PM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanLiddle View Post
Hey Rangers fans,

I've noticed that a lot of people have Dubinsky slotted in ahead of Drury on their depth charts. Now I don't think that makes much sense when hockey politics are considered.
My question is, if Dubinsky's totals are higher than Drury and he's, overall, more useful, what stops him from looking at Drury and saying "Why don't I get paid that much?"
Of course Drury can say a lot of things that Dubinsky can't, but in a lot of peoples minds Drury is way, way undeserving of the contract. So have the Rangers set themselves up to shoot them selves in the foot or will the seas be calm?

Discuss...

PS. Even though I'll be super peeved, I hope Nazzy plays well for you guys.
the rangershave drafted on attitude....the players on the team right now i dont think will be like that...more like they want to learn all they can so one day they may be able to play like chris drury game-in and game-out

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 05:36 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Right now the Rangers are in cap hell. If a big salary isn't moved soon we will be in even worse cap hell next season.

Radek27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 06:16 PM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Right now the Rangers are in cap hell. If a big salary isn't moved soon we will be in even worse cap hell next season.
hogwash. don't be so dramatic, I'm sure management knows what it's doing.

as long as there's means to move salary, the team will be fine. the guys up next year will be RFA, not UFA, so there's no reason to worry about losing any of them.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 06:17 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Yep, not many salaries coming off the books next year either (in terms of players and dollars who may be let go)

rismiller, betts, orr, kalinin, mara, pock, and vally are the only UFA, their salary combined is probably like 5 million.

then we have a crap load of RFA's most of whom we want to keep and will get raises...

Zherdev, Prucha, Fritsche, Sjostrom, Dubinsky, Dawes, Cally, Byers, Moore, and Potter

Id assume we would keep Zherdev, Fritsche, Sjo, Dubi, Dawes, Cally, and Byers. With the rest as questionable, or trade bait.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 08:14 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Yep, not many salaries coming off the books next year either (in terms of players and dollars who may be let go)

rismiller, betts, orr, kalinin, mara, pock, and vally are the only UFA, their salary combined is probably like 5 million.

then we have a crap load of RFA's most of whom we want to keep and will get raises...

Zherdev, Prucha, Fritsche, Sjostrom, Dubinsky, Dawes, Cally, Byers, Moore, and Potter

Id assume we would keep Zherdev, Fritsche, Sjo, Dubi, Dawes, Cally, and Byers. With the rest as questionable, or trade bait.
Your 100% right Inferno, as usual your good with the math and the math doesn't add up that we can keep our RFA's next year with how things are now. This is another reason why I think signing Sundin actually helps our cap, it forces us to trade one of those big contracts. Sather went a bit crazy with his FA shoping. Did we really NEED both Redden and Rozy? Did we really need both Drury and Gomez? We shoulda done one in each case and went with cheaper options. But with all this news about waiting for the CBA to be renewed (It will be) i'm not sure how this works.

Old
08-23-2008, 08:19 PM
NYR Viper

the only player on that list who will geta serious raise may be zherdev depending on how he plays.....dubinsky may get one depending on how he plays but they wont be getting HUGE paydays....

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 09:36 PM
D713B

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
the only player on that list who will geta serious raise may be zherdev depending on how he plays.....dubinsky may get one depending on how he plays but they wont be getting HUGE paydays....
Thats true but if Dubi and Zherdev have good/great years they could definitely have a few offer sheets thrown their way that we can't compete with.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 06:51 AM
free0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post
Thats true but if Dubi and Zherdev have good/great years they could definitely have a few offer sheets thrown their way that we can't compete with.

Im really afraid that if Zherdev has a big year and the Rangers are in Cap Hell next year, they may lose him to the KHL. I am not really afraid of offer sheets. Those are few and far between.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 08:16 AM
Synergy27

What's going to happen when the NHL realizes that the cap is hindering their club's ability to compete with the KHL for top European talent? What happens if the cap rises another $8 million next season? What happens if it declines dramatically? The point is, the salary cap is fluid by nature, and while it is prudent to build in some long-term planning, you shouldn't do so at the expense of the present. Far too much uncertainty in the future, and far too many ways to subvert the cap for it to be a legitimate concern (trades, buyouts, demotions, bonuses, blah blah blah).

Synergy27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 10:18 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
Im really afraid that if Zherdev has a big year and the Rangers are in Cap Hell next year, they may lose him to the KHL. I am not really afraid of offer sheets. Those are few and far between.
Bahhh worry about next yr when next yr comes.............They can move a big salary like Rozsival if they had too anyways.......it's not like other teams won't take the salary if it's a good player even if it may be more than what they want

Bryan McCabe is likely being dealt people and that contract is so horrific

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 10:33 AM
The Thomas J.*

The Rangers have signed players to huge contracts with the expectation that the cap will continue to rise year after year, also with a new CBA coming up & the current sucess with the current one it's concivable that the cap number will rise significantly.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 11:45 AM
Unk

Since the lockout, the salary cap has gone up by about $5-$6 mil per off season. I don't think Sather will be able to go after any high-priced FAs next offseason, but I think if he's smart about it everyone who needs to be re-signed will. Prucha's contract might be replaced by a cheaper Cherepanov's, one of Mara/Kalinin could be replaced by a rookie, so the team could have an extra $6-$7 mil to re-sign Zherdev, Dubinsky, Dawes and who not, depending on high much the cap rises and who's replaced by who.

Anyway, iirc, Irish Blues' has said in responce to the cap doom sayers that league revenue has never decreased.

Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 12:07 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
The Rangers have signed players to huge contracts with the expectation that the cap will continue to rise year after year, also with a new CBA coming up & the current sucess with the current one it's concivable that the cap number will rise significantly.
Don't be so sure about that. The cap was raised for next season largely in part because the Canadian dollar rose so rapidly and in turn raised the revenue of the 6 Canadian teams. I wouldn't be surprised at all if after next season the cap remains about the same.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 12:17 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unk View Post
Since the lockout, the salary cap has gone up by about $5-$6 mil per off season. I don't think Sather will be able to go after any high-priced FAs next offseason, but I think if he's smart about it everyone who needs to be re-signed will. Prucha's contract might be replaced by a cheaper Cherepanov's, one of Mara/Kalinin could be replaced by a rookie, so the team could have an extra $6-$7 mil to re-sign Zherdev, Dubinsky, Dawes and who not, depending on high much the cap rises and who's replaced by who.

Anyway, iirc, Irish Blues' has said in responce to the cap doom sayers that league revenue has never decreased.
No offense Unk--but referencing your user name makes me think--unk-nown which brings us to this point--Irish Blues has been excellent on all things cap wise but we are only going into the 4th cap year. I would suggest that you both may be projecting increases every year from a relatively short history. As well the state of the economy outside the NHL which until fairly recently looked for some to be upward trajectories for ever and ever has in the past couple years become a much more sobering prospect to many. One could draw lines on graphs proving what the future should be but that is not necessarily how things will be.

I think the Rangers will be hamstrung over the next few years unless they move a big contract or two. It may not be easy in that case getting fair value for the player. Roszival's is a particularly bad contract in terms of length and past accomplishment. Redden and Drury heading towards their mid-30's in age may be also heading in a downward spiral in ability. Drury is unmoveable though. Gomez's contract is probably close to fair and moving him probably wouldn't be that difficult. Bringing in Sundin short term for the same amount of money as Gomez--or even less--would free that money up and give us more size and a better albeit older player + whatever Scott would bring in terms of players, prospects which should be something pretty good.

As for Zherdev I would worry as well. If we don't have enough money he might head on back to Russia. One gets the sense that if it takes him 3 years to ask in on a teammates poker game that he might not feel all that comfortable in his new cultural setting. Of course that was Columbus and New York should be at least somewhat different.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 12:52 PM
Unk

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
No offense Unk--but referencing your user name makes me think--unk-nown which brings us to this point--Irish Blues has been excellent on all things cap wise but we are only going into the 4th cap year. I would suggest that you both may be projecting increases every year from a relatively short history. As well the state of the economy outside the NHL which until fairly recently looked for some to be upward trajectories for ever and ever has in the past couple years become a much more sobering prospect to many. One could draw lines on graphs proving what the future should be but that is not necessarily how things will be.

I think the Rangers will be hamstrung over the next few years unless they move a big contract or two. It may not be easy in that case getting fair value for the player. Roszival's is a particularly bad contract in terms of length and past accomplishment. Redden and Drury heading towards their mid-30's in age may be also heading in a downward spiral in ability. Drury is unmoveable though. Gomez's contract is probably close to fair and moving him probably wouldn't be that difficult. Bringing in Sundin short term for the same amount of money as Gomez--or even less--would free that money up and give us more size and a better albeit older player + whatever Scott would bring in terms of players, prospects which should be something pretty good.

As for Zherdev I would worry as well. If we don't have enough money he might head on back to Russia. One gets the sense that if it takes him 3 years to ask in on a teammates poker game that he might not feel all that comfortable in his new cultural setting. Of course that was Columbus and New York should be at least somewhat different.
Fair enough, no offense taken. Taking past trends to predict the future doesn't always work. It did seem though that the state of the economy started to falter this past season but revenue went up, but we'll just to see about 08-09.

Anyway, I'm all for playing w/ the idea of trading Gomez and signing Sundin, but I don't know how wise that is. Sure the team will clear up cap space in the near future, but unless there's some cheap and ready to take Sundin's place when he's gone, we might be looking for another 1st line center FA unless someone like Dubinsky or Anisimov looks like he can fill that role. That's why I'd only really like trading Gomez for a prospect for 1st line upside if possible to hedge our bets so this ways Slats isn't signing a $8-9m guy to replace the $7m Gomez.

Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 02:15 PM
coolbean04

We will never be in cap hell because of a nice loophole.

If we have players that are making a lot of money and stink it up, we can send them to the AHL and have there $ off the books. That's if they have no NMC.

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 03:50 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbean04 View Post
We will never be in cap hell because of a nice loophole.

If we have players that are making a lot of money and stink it up, we can send them to the AHL and have there $ off the books. That's if they have no NMC.
Do that too often though with big names and big contracts and you may scare potential free agents away--whether they're high profile or otherwise. I don't know if it's good either to trade away a guy you've signed for 6 years after one but be that as it may I don't think we're in a good spot right now. As Unk points out as well--what the Rangers ideas about and plans for Dubinsky and Anisimov work into this as well. Over at BB+ they seem to think that Anisimov might make a real run at a job this year. I don't know if any of you are subscribers as it is meant to be exclusive to them. They both seem to have at least 2nd line potential which probably means either moving Gomez and/or Drury to the wing or both might not be too far away anyway.

There is one other thing I don't like about our top lines and that is the lack of size which Sundin would do a lot to help. Zherdev looks like he'll be the biggest guy on our top lines. Everybody else--Gomez, Drury, Naslund, Dawes, Prucha are under 6' and none of them (probably even Zherdev) are particularly physical at all.

Last edited by eco's bones: 08-24-2008 at 03:56 PM.
eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 09:06 PM
coolbean04

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Do that too often though with big names and big contracts and you may scare potential free agents away--whether they're high profile or otherwise. I don't know if it's good either to trade away a guy you've signed for 6 years after one but be that as it may I don't think we're in a good spot right now. As Unk points out as well--what the Rangers ideas about and plans for Dubinsky and Anisimov work into this as well. Over at BB+ they seem to think that Anisimov might make a real run at a job this year. I don't know if any of you are subscribers as it is meant to be exclusive to them. They both seem to have at least 2nd line potential which probably means either moving Gomez and/or Drury to the wing or both might not be too far away anyway.

There is one other thing I don't like about our top lines and that is the lack of size which Sundin would do a lot to help. Zherdev looks like he'll be the biggest guy on our top lines. Everybody else--Gomez, Drury, Naslund, Dawes, Prucha are under 6' and none of them (probably even Zherdev) are particularly physical at all.
Well if we have to do that often, shouldn't Sather be fired?????

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 09:38 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbean04 View Post
Well if we have to do that often, shouldn't Sather be fired?????
Naslund is 6'0 and is not physical.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 11:05 PM
MSG the place to be*

REPORT ON RANGERS CAP (SERIOUS) ISSUES

New York Rangers high-priced players
Gomez - 7.357 for 6 more years
Drury - 7.050 for 4 more years
Redden - 6.5 for 6 more years
*Lundqvist - 6.875 for 6 more years (doesn't receive criticism for contract from me or anyone else for the most part)

Players in NHL who make equal to or more than above 3 guys
Anaheim : Neidermayer - 6.75 for 1 year
Boston : Chara - 7.5 for 3 more years
Buffalo : Vanek - 7.143 for 6 years
Calgary : Iginla - 7.0 for 5 more years / Phaneuf 6.5 for 6 more years
Chicago : Campbell - 7.1 for 8 more years / Khabibulin 6.75 for 1 more year
Dallas : Richards - 7.8 for 3 more years
Detroit : Lidstrom - 7.45 for 2 more years / Hossa - 7.45 for 1 year / Datsyuk - 6.7 for 6 more years
Ottawa : Heatley - 7.5 for 6 more years / Spezza - 7.0 for 7 more years
Philly : Briere - 6.5 for 7 more years (Richards, Carter, Gagne, Timmonen all have 5 MM+ and are long-term)
Pheonix : Jovanovski : 6.5 for 3 more years
Pittsburgh : Crosby - 8.7 for 5 more years / Malkin - 8.7 for 6 more years
San Jose : Thornton - 7.2 for 3 more years / Boyle - 6.67 for 6 more years
Tampa : Lecavalier - 6.875 this year, 7.73 for next 11 years

Facts
1. Only 20 players on the 29 other NHL teams make 6.5 million or more
2. Only 6 teams have 2 such players, 2 of which have players whose contracts expire after this year (CHI - Bulin , DET - Hossa)
3. Including Lecavalier whose extension doesnt kick in until next year, Gomez is the 9th highest paid player per season in the league

What I conclude from these numbers
1. The Rangers, with 4 of the top 24 paid players in the league, all with long term deals, are the most cash-strapped team in the league by far.
2. There are a few terrible contracts around the league, namely Richards, Boyle, Briere, Vanek, Campbell, but besides those the next 3 are Gomez, Drury, Redden in no particular order. Wow thats a lot of former Sabres! I'm not counting Bulin as that bad because its only 1 more year. I also am tempted to include Lecavalier with these other bad contracts because its so long but hes also an incredible player.
3. Lets say hypothetically Hossa signs back on with Detroit next year for his same cap number 7.45 and they resign Zetterberg to a 7MM per year deal, its funny to think about how much better their quartet is than the Rangers. Don't say Detroit wouldnt be able to pay all 4 of those guys because it would only be like 1.5 million more than the Rangers top 4.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 07:50 AM
Cherepanisimov

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanLiddle View Post
Naslund is 6'0 and is not physical.
okay...

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 03:37 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
REPORT ON RANGERS CAP (SERIOUS) ISSUES

New York Rangers high-priced players
Gomez - 7.357 for 6 more years
Drury - 7.050 for 4 more years
Redden - 6.5 for 6 more years
*Lundqvist - 6.875 for 6 more years (doesn't receive criticism for contract from me or anyone else for the most part)

Players in NHL who make equal to or more than above 3 guys
Anaheim : Neidermayer - 6.75 for 1 year
Boston : Chara - 7.5 for 3 more years
Buffalo : Vanek - 7.143 for 6 years
Calgary : Iginla - 7.0 for 5 more years / Phaneuf 6.5 for 6 more years
Chicago : Campbell - 7.1 for 8 more years / Khabibulin 6.75 for 1 more year
Dallas : Richards - 7.8 for 3 more years
Detroit : Lidstrom - 7.45 for 2 more years / Hossa - 7.45 for 1 year / Datsyuk - 6.7 for 6 more years
Ottawa : Heatley - 7.5 for 6 more years / Spezza - 7.0 for 7 more years
Philly : Briere - 6.5 for 7 more years (Richards, Carter, Gagne, Timmonen all have 5 MM+ and are long-term)
Pheonix : Jovanovski : 6.5 for 3 more years
Pittsburgh : Crosby - 8.7 for 5 more years / Malkin - 8.7 for 6 more years
San Jose : Thornton - 7.2 for 3 more years / Boyle - 6.67 for 6 more years
Tampa : Lecavalier - 6.875 this year, 7.73 for next 11 years

Facts
1. Only 20 players on the 29 other NHL teams make 6.5 million or more
2. Only 6 teams have 2 such players, 2 of which have players whose contracts expire after this year (CHI - Bulin , DET - Hossa)
3. Including Lecavalier whose extension doesnt kick in until next year, Gomez is the 9th highest paid player per season in the league

What I conclude from these numbers
1. The Rangers, with 4 of the top 24 paid players in the league, all with long term deals, are the most cash-strapped team in the league by far.
2. There are a few terrible contracts around the league, namely Richards, Boyle, Briere, Vanek, Campbell, but besides those the next 3 are Gomez, Drury, Redden in no particular order. Wow thats a lot of former Sabres! I'm not counting Bulin as that bad because its only 1 more year. I also am tempted to include Lecavalier with these other bad contracts because its so long but hes also an incredible player.
3. Lets say hypothetically Hossa signs back on with Detroit next year for his same cap number 7.45 and they resign Zetterberg to a 7MM per year deal, its funny to think about how much better their quartet is than the Rangers. Don't say Detroit wouldnt be able to pay all 4 of those guys because it would only be like 1.5 million more than the Rangers top 4.
Wow man, that was a hell of a lot of research! I give you an A+ for this report.....well done. Maybe it will raise the eyebrow of other Ranger fans who don't think we have any cap problems.

Old
08-25-2008, 03:38 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherepanisimov View Post
okay...
I have seen Naslund a few times, I don't remember him ever throwing a body check.

Ever

Old
08-26-2008, 08:35 AM
D713B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Don't be so sure about that. The cap was raised for next season largely in part because the Canadian dollar rose so rapidly and in turn raised the revenue of the 6 Canadian teams. I wouldn't be surprised at all if after next season the cap remains about the same.
That plays a factor but league revenues are a better indicator of the future of the cap. Post lockout the NHL revenues have increased by 25% and show absolutely no signs of slowing.

Quote:
I have seen Naslund a few times, I don't remember him ever throwing a body check.

Ever
What this isn't physical enough for you?

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote