HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is the door open for Selanne?

Closed Thread

Old
06-16-2004, 08:18 PM
Mooch

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by =CH=
No, point him in the direction of Toronto and then slam the door in his face.
wow, why so cruel. Not contacting him would be just as effective. LOL

Old
06-16-2004, 08:37 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
My impression of Selanne is that he is a better 2 way player than given credit for. He is coming off a situation where he was at war with his coach. He will at best be a 20-25 goal,45-50 point guy,which is better than what we had. His board and physical play is a bit underrated. Playing a solid 2 way game with Koivu would make matchups a lot easier and free up Bullis for work on a defensive line or with Ribeiro. My thinking, and I should put it on Mike the Wall's thread about lines, is that assuming Ribeiro and Koivu center our offensive lines, we'll see a young player and an acquired player, to go with Koivu/Zed and Ribs/Ryder duos. Selanne can be a short term option as long as we accept that we aren't getting a premier offensive player.
That pretty much sums it up for me.

Selanne has always been one of my favourite players. Two seasons ago there were talk of him not resigning with the sharks and apparently Koivu tried convincing him to sign with us. I wasn't particularly optimistic about Selanne willing to sign here 2 summers ago but things have changed now. I think that if Kovalev doesn't sign with the habs the possibilities of seeing Selanne in Montréal would be much better than they were two seasons ago.

I think last season was an aberration for Selanne. He's nowhere near as bad as he looked in Colorado. Granato is likely one of the worst coach in the NHL and Selanne could benefit from playing with Koivu. Ok now I know what you're all going to say : as opposed to playing with Forsberg and Sakic. But the thing is Selanne mostly played on the third line in a defensive role. I think he'd look much better as a go-to guy on the first line with Sax. I'm not saying he's the same player he once was but he could still be a 1st liner with the habs IMO. In that light I'd be ready to give him 2.5M$ and maybe even 3M$ for 2 seasons.

Old
06-16-2004, 09:11 PM
Rahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH²
That pretty much sums it up for me.

Selanne has always been one of my favourite players. Two seasons ago there were talk of him not resigning with the sharks and apparently Koivu tried convincing him to sign with us. I wasn't particularly optimistic about Selanne willing to sign here 2 summers ago but things have changed now. I think that if Kovalev doesn't sign with the habs the possibilities of seeing Selanne in Montréal would be much better than they were two seasons ago.

I think last season was an aberration for Selanne. He's nowhere near as bad as he looked in Colorado. Granato is likely one of the worst coach in the NHL and Selanne could benefit from playing with Koivu. Ok now I know what you're all going to say : as opposed to playing with Forsberg and Sakic. But the thing is Selanne mostly played on the third line in a defensive role. I think he'd look much better as a go-to guy on the first line with Sax. I'm not saying he's the same player he once was but he could still be a 1st liner with the habs IMO. In that light I'd be ready to give him 2.5M$ and maybe even 3M$ for 2 seasons.
Good post E = CH², completely agree.

Older posters here might remember that I've worn a Selanne in a Habs Jersey avatar for the whole summer last year, and even 2 months after he was signed by Colorado. And I might just re-do that again soon, if I wake up pumped up enough
Selanne and Koivu always light things up together in their national team. I'd like to see them get together in the NHL, that's for sure.

Old
06-16-2004, 09:13 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
If Selanne would sign here, and if Gainey would be interested in obtaining him, and if it was for the right price (whatever Gainey decides). But do you guys really think he will sign for 2M? He made 5.8M this year, and while that's way overpaid, I'd think he'd still be a 3M+ signee, then add the Montreal tax factor, he may want a little more. Depends on what kind of demand there is for him also. I'd be happy to see him on Koivu's wing at 2M though.
Well, it's pretty much impossible to know what the CBA-corrected NHL will look like, but I would generally agree that it's slim-to-none odds on him signing for $2M. But I just wouldn't offer more. Plus, if he did want to sign somewhere "on the cheap", then it probably won't be with us... after all, the whole big idea for him and Kariya going to Colorado was that they wanted to play together on a Cup contender, right? I don't suppose he will see the Habs as a Cup contender.

Old
06-16-2004, 10:00 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
RTL, we're seeing a market correction,watch who doesn't get qualified in a few weeks. Why spend 4 on Selanne ? There will be a glut of either underachieving, or not in their prime forwards. What you consider 1st line money may no longer be applicable. Even teams like Toronto and NY aren't going to throw money on a hope anymore.
So you think the players will cave in THAT much? Why? They can play elsewhere... I hope you're right tho...

Old
06-16-2004, 10:21 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

A big NO imo. I usally agree with someone like rahan, but it would be a very bad idea to get Selanne. First, even if he's from Finland, he likes to be under the sun (southern areas). He does have a little friendship with Saku, but he does with 75 other players arround the league, so he has friends with each teams... Also, I watched him this year and he's not the player he used to be. He has lost a lot of speed, he doesn't work at all and his scoring touch is dead... Plus he's not the kind of player that likes to play a system (Kovalev liked it a lot...), you know it's not every players that are comfortable with a team system like Julien is urging. Even at 2 millions, Selanne to Montreal is going to be a desaster....

Old
06-16-2004, 10:30 PM
Burnaby_Joe*

I think Selanne would be perfect for Montreal. Everyone says, if he couldn't score with the Avs, he can't score. Some of that is true, but he wasn't the main guy on the team and he didn't get along with Granato. Selanne has played with Koivu before and they have had some great chemistry. He'd also be one of the go-to guys on the Habs.

Old
06-16-2004, 11:07 PM
Tuggy
Homer glasses on

vCash: 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footemeister
I think Selanne would be perfect for Montreal. Everyone says, if he couldn't score with the Avs, he can't score. Some of that is true, but he wasn't the main guy on the team and he didn't get along with Granato. Selanne has played with Koivu before and they have had some great chemistry. He'd also be one of the go-to guys on the Habs.
Totally agree. Colorado was just a terrible situation for Selanne and it played out horribly. Not saying that he is still the player he use to be but I think that he can still contribute effectively.

I am looking forward to seeing how Koivu and him play together at the World Cup, it has been a while but they were dynamite together before.

If the price is right and he wants to play in Montreal then I say roll the dice.

Old
06-17-2004, 06:30 AM
psycho_dad

Quote:
My impression of Selanne is that he is a better 2 way player than given credit for. He is coming off a situation where he was at war with his coach. He will at best be a 20-25 goal,45-50 point guy,which is better than what we had. His board and physical play is a bit underrated. Playing a solid 2 way game with Koivu would make matchups a lot easier and free up Bullis for work on a defensive line or with Ribeiro. My thinking, and I should put it on Mike the Wall's thread about lines, is that assuming Ribeiro and Koivu center our offensive lines, we'll see a young player and an acquired player, to go with Koivu/Zed and Ribs/Ryder duos. Selanne can be a short term option as long as we accept that we aren't getting a premier offensive player.

He'd score 40 with Koivu.

Old
06-17-2004, 02:25 PM
perezhoginthebest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13
The thing is Zednik was terrible with Ribeiro, so i think its pretty safe to say, the Koivu/Zednik duo is not changing too soon.
You're right

Old
06-17-2004, 03:03 PM
Malefic74

No thanks. We already have more than our allotted quota of perimeter players. Can we plaease have someone, anyone who will drive to the net and stay there? Is it too much to ask?

Stick a fork in him. Selanne's done. (As far as scoring goes anyway)

Old
06-17-2004, 04:22 PM
Thomas

Send a message via MSN to Thomas
Why not try signing Mark Recchi who has also shown chemistry with Koivu but proved to be a better hockey player than Selanne last season with 75 points? He's getting old, so I wouldnt expect more than 1-2 year deal, but I think it could be worth it. All depends if the Flyers plan on keeping him around after his great season. Koivu played his best hockey with Recchi, I'd love to see them together again.

Old
06-17-2004, 04:31 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas
Why not try signing Mark Recchi who has also shown chemistry with Koivu but proved to be a better hockey player than Selanne last season with 75 points? He's getting old, so I wouldnt expect more than 1-2 year deal, but I think it could be worth it. All depends if the Flyers plan on keeping him around after his great season. Koivu played his best hockey with Recchi, I'd love to see them together again.
There are so many options this summer its not even funny. The thing is though, i think any skilled player would play well with Saku. Hes such a great playmaker, and that makes it easier for anyone one his wing. Recchi, Kovalev, Palffy, Murray, Nedved, Sellane, Kariya would all do well on his wing imo. Although a big winger should still be our number one priority. As for Recchi, i think he would be great. He is a bit small, but he like Koivu is built like a rock and aint afraid to muck it up. He should be an option after Kovalev/Palffy/Murray!

Old
06-17-2004, 04:38 PM
Thomas

Send a message via MSN to Thomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
There are so many options this summer its not even funny. The thing is though, i think any skilled player would play well with Saku. Hes such a great playmaker, and that makes it easier for anyone one his wing. Recchi, Kovalev, Palffy, Murray, Nedved, Sellane, Kariya would all do well on his wing imo. Although a big winger should still be our number one priority.
The difference is Recchi would be affordable, somewhere from $2M to $3M under a new CBA and at 36 years of age. If Gainey is reluctant to offer Kovalev too much money, I dont see Palffy, Kariya or Nedved as an option. Murray will command quite a bit of money, but his lack of physical play and heart would make it a mistake to sign him IMO, a more proven Dagenais in my eyes. Most team will be looking to add a big winger, and there arent many available. If it comes down to Recchi or Selanne I would much prefer Recchi who actually showed up last season.

Old
06-17-2004, 04:42 PM
Mooch

Quote:
The difference is Recchi would be affordable, somewhere from $2M to $3M under a new CBA and at 36 years of age. If Gainey is reluctant to offer Kovalev too much money, I dont see Palffy, Kariya or Nedved as an option. Murray will command quite a bit of money, but his lack of physical play and heart would make it a mistake to sign him IMO, a more proven Dagenais in my eyes. Most team will be looking to add a big winger, and there arent many available. If it comes down to Recchi or Selanne I would much prefer Recchi who actually showed up last season.
Ya i would too between the two of them. As for Murray, the man scored 35+ goals on more than one occasion, he has skill, and he produces. But, money is the problem as you say.

Old
06-17-2004, 05:41 PM
EaGLE1

The return of Recchi would be great but very very unlikely. But Selanne could sign with us & i would be happy.

Old
06-17-2004, 06:03 PM
Form and Substance

Selanne could have a Robitaille type resurrection. He could I say.

Old
06-18-2004, 01:59 AM
broman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leachmeister2000
Selanne could have a Robitaille type resurrection. He could I say.
True true. Robitaille is exactly what I am thinking here.

Remember that Selanne had an awful start to the season as he had hurt his knee playing squash. It turned it didn't require surgery after all but he never got the time to let it heal because of the injury bug that bit the Avs frontline early on. Granato insisted that he should step up and deliver when others were absent, well he did actually all the way to New Year, what with being top 3 in team SOG with less icetime than other top guys, in PP in particular, but he was just so jinxed and couldn't find the net.....

Anyways, his knee slowed him down and he ended up digging a hole for himself that was way too deep, Granato wouldn't forgive him and he never got another chance but come Jan/Feb ended up playing in 3rd/4th line all the way until the very last playoff matches. Very similar to when he landed in Sutter's doghouse in 01/02 together with Marleau and Korolyuk, all three of which rebounded and delivered the season after that.

Wait and see for the World Cup. If Saku and Teemu can ignite the old flame once again, I wouldn't be all that surprised if Habs turn out on the list of potential destinations. Money's not a factor, Teemu's got plenty already and he knows full well he can't expect premium dollars after last season yet wants a chance to redeem myself, he said it out loud just a few days ago in Finnish press that he will be back, somewhere, in pro hockey. Deffo not retiring or coming back to Finland to play, that's for sure.

Someone said Habs are not Cup contenders. Well over the past two years the rulebook's been written over again. What you need is a hot goalie, well Theodore's got the goods, he's shown it before, and a roster with character. That's all, after that it's just hard work and a bit of luck to boot. Throw in the Koivu factor and the chance to play in Canada, the birthplace of the sport, in front of the legendary Habs crowd and I wouldn't find it all that unlikely, even though the lure of family home in Orange County, CA is there for sure.

As for Habs, well the last I checked you could use a few more goals for. Also it's not like the Habs PP stinks, 10th in the league is respectable enough but just a little bit of extra push to match the likes of Sens and Flyers would never hurt, right? Selanne may not be the ultimate weapon he once was on even ice but he is still a PP marksman par excellence, what with three goals in QF against Sweden in Worlds 2003 et cetera. Not that Granato and crew cared, as he was used sparingly to say the least by Avs in PP.

Old
06-18-2004, 02:34 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Recchi won't come back here. He already told Saku a few times that he was a lot happier now that he's gone. He said that the medias are like pitbulls here and it killed his moral at the end.

Old
06-18-2004, 08:47 PM
HFXMooseHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
wow, why so cruel. Not contacting him would be just as effective. LOL
I'm just tired of seeing the Habs trade for/Sign underachieving players. IMO, that's Selanne. Hey, if the Habs sign him and he delivers the goods, I'll happily admit I was wrong.

So when you said why so cruel, you were refering to the Toronto part right?

Closed Thread