HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Toronto-Montreal

Old
08-24-2008, 03:12 PM
hockeyfan99ss*

vCash: 500
Toronto-Montreal

First off, let me say that this is based on the assumption that every player is moveable despite any obvious attachments and team reasoning to keep him, as will become obvious.

Toronto
------------
antropov
poni
cujo

Montreal
-----------
Higgins
Halak

Reasonings:
Toronto Would love to get a solid young goaltender capable of taking a #1, signed for another 2 years at a reasonable rate, and they also tried to acquire higgins and would provide a valuable young player with upside. Also I would think the way that Halak played last year, in the next 2 years it would also Possibly, make Toskala expendible as well which would bring in a kings ransom.

Montreal is going to need to unload halak probobly sometime in the next 2 years, and they are going for a real cupdrive this year on thier centennial, I think that antropov fills a major need for a big, strong, goalscoring centerman, poni provides 20goals and a reasonably sized top9 body and replaces higgins slot reasonably well, and cujo provides a good, solid, veteran leadership precense behind price. Also Antropov could move to the wing, has chemistry with Sundin, and is signed reasonably so montreal could still sign Sundin.

Please let me know what you think. Also like I said, this is all based on toronto willing to move cujo.

Last edited by hockeyfan99ss*: 08-24-2008 at 03:23 PM.
hockeyfan99ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 03:18 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Antropov is the best part of the deal coming to Montreal and is an UFA after the season.

Curtis Joseph is a huge downgrade both now and in the future to Halak.

On player talent, it's an okay move.. but Higgins is an RFA and Halak will be once his contract is done too.

I would love to acquire Antropov though for our third line.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 03:22 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Big NO from the Habs.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 03:24 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
Big NO from the Habs.
Ditto.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 03:46 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
NO ONE TRADES RECENTLY SIGNED UFA's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 03:48 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Big no from the Leafs. We give up 2 2-goal scorers(and our best forward) and get one in return.

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 03:50 PM
Nikita Filatov*

Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX attack View Post
NO ONE TRADES RECENTLY SIGNED UFA's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
First off, let me say that this is based on the assumption that every player is moveable despite any obvious attachments and team reasoning to keep him, as will become obvious.
Chill out, he's looking at it from a fantasy stand-point...

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 03:52 PM
WeezyHabFan

dear hockeyfan99ss BOOO!

WeezyHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 03:54 PM
hockeyfan99ss*

Thank you bruinsfan for explaining my reasonings for including cujo in this post.

I dont think that Cujo is considered a major downgrade from halak this year, definately in the future but that is part of why we are aquiring him. Cujo proved last year with the flames that he is a capable well seasoned backup veteran goaltender that would backup montreal, free up 500k of cap room IIRC, and you label price as your starting goaltender.

Poni and antropov are among our top scorers true, however we aquired hagman, blake could rebound, steen kulemin tlusty, i could go on. Poni is going to get traded almost 100%, and higgins has lots of upside and is a definate good young player this team would love to have.

There is no reason that toronto should be turning down this trade.
I would see toronto probobly having to aquire a 2nd, or include a 3rd for this trade to work *white to atl for a 2nd anyone?*

Old
08-24-2008, 03:58 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan99ss View Post
Thank you bruinsfan for explaining my reasonings for including cujo in this post.

I dont think that Cujo is considered a major downgrade from halak this year, definately in the future but that is part of why we are aquiring him. Cujo proved last year with the flames that he is a capable well seasoned backup veteran goaltender that would backup montreal, free up 500k of cap room IIRC, and you label price as your starting goaltender.

Poni and antropov are among our top scorers true, however we aquired hagman, blake could rebound, steen kulemin tlusty, i could go on. Poni is going to get traded almost 100%, and higgins has lots of upside and is a definate good young player this team would love to have.

There is no reason that toronto should be turning down this trade.
I would see toronto probobly having to aquire a 2nd, or include a 3rd for this trade to work *white to atl for a 2nd anyone?*
Just because we have the scoring depth to replace them doesn't mean we should move them for less than a great return. Antropov is a better player than Higgins alone.

Old
08-24-2008, 04:02 PM
hockeyfan99ss*

Correct, However Cujo is not equivelent to Halak.

We are giving up antropov poni and cujo for higgins and halak.

not antropov and poni for higgins.

Old
08-24-2008, 04:04 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Aside from Kaberle, I have zero interest in trading for any player on the Leafs' roster.

Old
08-24-2008, 04:06 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
Correct, However Cujo is not equivelent to Halak.

We are giving up antropov poni and cujo for higgins and halak.

not antropov and poni for higgins.
Halak has been nothing but a backup thus far in his career. Fletcher has said he doesn't want to trade Toskala, nor should we. Also, with Pogge in the pipeline, we are much better off with Cujo, and stopgap backup goalies.

Toronto is going to be hard pressed to find offense this year, and losing Poni (Higgins may be able to match Antropovs production here) would be a serious loss.

Old
08-24-2008, 04:15 PM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Aside from Kaberle, I have zero interest in trading for any player on the Leafs' roster.
Wouldn't trade a 7th for Steen? Stralman for some 30+ year old career AHLer? Tlusty for future considerations?

Just.. zero interest?

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon
Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 04:38 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
***real life***

ignoring everything else, you should try and build this without cujo, because he just signed. Probably means dropping halak too.

so: Antropov + Poni for higgins + ?

montreal probably doesnt want to give up another important roster player. My guess would be something like begin, dandenault, and a 2nd?

montrealtoronto
Assets (UFA in) Higgins (2), Dandenault (1), Begin (1), 2nd rounderAntropov (1), Ponikarovsky (2)
Cap Hits 4.482M 4.1M
Salary 4.95M 4.39M

edit: make that 2nd a 3rd rounder i guess.

Last edited by danishh: 08-26-2008 at 07:18 AM.
danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 04:42 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiffy View Post
Wouldn't trade a 7th for Steen? Stralman for some 30+ year old career AHLer? Tlusty for future considerations?

Just.. zero interest?

The trade, I think, is good. Higgins for Poni and Antropov give Montreal the better deal on scoring and Halak for Cujo gives Toronto a good edge BUT Cujo woud help Price and give them some veteran help and he could help Price.

IS the trade realistic? No because Cujo just signed and he stated it was Leafs or retire. He will also be the future goaltending coach, so this trade won't happen. It is a good trade but not realistic.

mapes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 04:55 PM
C-Saku Koivu MTL

No thank you.

No interest in Poniwhatever and Antropov either at the cost of Higgins and Halak. Don't even get me started on Cujo...

C-Saku Koivu MTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 04:59 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsfan1 View Post
Chill out, he's looking at it from a fantasy stand-point...
Sorry I should read better

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 07:36 PM
Quik
Agent 0091

why does every new member have to post a proposal that makes absolutely 0 sense in real life?

Higgins is an alright player, but if I'm correct, he was in Carbo's doghouse a few times last year. Halak is just a decent, #2 goalie who isn't that young that he can bring something else.

Antropov is coming off his best season statistically, and is pending UFA, meaning a team looking for a cheap, rental option would be willing to pay through the nose for him at the deadline, without worry of him taking roster space from a youngster. Poni, while no stud, is still a capable 2nd/3rd liner, and would pretty much replace Higgins on MTL's 3rd line, if not sit in the press box with Antro playing 3rd line. CuJo is basically a playing goalie coach, and will become the actual goalie coach after this season, when he retires. His value to the Leafs isn't on the ice, it's his knowledge of the game, and to have him here to mentor Pogge is more important that to have Halak.

Pretty much, this trade does nothing for the Leafs, and very little for the Habs. The Habs are set on their top 6 with Kovalev, Koivu, Tanguay, Plekanec, and the Kostitsyn bros. Antropov and Poni would both be wastes on their team. CuJo would be a good mentor for Price, but is Price ready to play 65-70 games, or is he going to need a back up capable of 20-25?

Neither side likes this trade.

Quik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 08:39 PM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
***real life***

ignoring everything else, you should try and build this without cujo, because he just signed. Probably means dropping halak too.

so: Antropov + Poni for higgins + ?

montreal probably doesnt want to give up another important roster player. My guess would be something like begin, dandenault, and a 2nd?

montrealtoronto
Assets (UFA in) Higgins (2), Dandenault (1), Begin (1), 2nd rounderAntropov (1), Ponikarovsky (2)
Cap Hits 4.482M 4.1M
Salary 4.95M 4.39M

that still doesnt look even to me. What does montreal have to add.
I'd make the deal from Toronto's pov ...Antropov when healthy is the better player, but, i'd rather not gamble on his health too much longer, and Higgins would be a nice building block

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 08:41 PM
Cyrrus147

Quote:

Toronto
------------
antropov
poni
cujo

Montreal
-----------
Higgins
Halak

Reasonings:
Toronto Would love to get a solid young goaltender capable of taking a #1, signed for another 2 years at a reasonable rate, and they also tried to acquire higgins and would provide a valuable young player with upside. Also I would think the way that Halak played last year, in the next 2 years it would also Possibly, make Toskala expendible as well which would bring in a kings ransom.

Montreal is going to need to unload halak probobly sometime in the next 2 years, and they are going for a real cupdrive this year on thier centennial, I think that antropov fills a major need for a big, strong, goalscoring centerman, poni provides 20goals and a reasonably sized top9 body and replaces higgins slot reasonably well, and cujo provides a good, solid, veteran leadership precense behind price. Also Antropov could move to the wing, has chemistry with Sundin, and is signed reasonably so montreal could still sign Sundin.

Please let me know what you think. Also like I said, this is all based on toronto willing to move cujo.

This proposal is awful. I would not trade 1 of our player for the entire package.

Cyrrus147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 08:48 PM
Garo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quik View Post
Higgins is an alright player, but if I'm correct, he was in Carbo's doghouse a few times last year..
You're not.

To be honest though, I'd probably make that trade... but I would have a uneasy feeling about it and I don't know why.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 08:55 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

I've looked at the Leafs' roster over and over, and aside from Kaberle, I really don't see a player who would be an improvement over what we already have.

Old
08-24-2008, 09:08 PM
Ryulink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrrus147 View Post

This proposal is awful. I would not trade 1 of our player for the entire package.
Dandenault?

Ryulink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 10:19 PM
Acekicker123

Toronto wins this deal.

Acekicker123 is online now   Reply With Quote