HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

3-Way Deal

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-21-2008, 11:52 PM
  #26
Drake1588
UNATCO
 
Drake1588's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 27,847
vCash: 500
Simple. This isn't a trade the Canucks contemplate. That whole team is built around the bedrock of a stud in net. Take away that element, and the whole collapses in upon itself.

For the Caps, you're obviously interested in adding one of the better goalies in the league. They'd gladly make this deal, if the Canucks were foolish enough to propose it. Yet there are some issues there as well, long term, mainly tied to the cap. The Caps have their money tied up in forwards, and too many of those guys are heading for raises soon, primarily Backstrom and Semin. You could add Luongo and have to get rid of him in short order because of his salary hit, which is only going to increase. They're banking on Theodore for a short time, at a good but not huge salary, and hoping like hell that Varlamov can take over from him in a couple of seasons.

People are ragging on the Theodore pickup, ignoring the fact that the Caps can't really afford to spend on goaltending. This is especially true after a couple of years (Backstrom, Semin raises). By contrast, with the makeup of their club, the Canucks can't really afford not to spend on goaltending.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 10:15 PM
  #27
KillerCanuk
 
KillerCanuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 142
vCash: 500
Theodore wont make it in hockey crazy Van..do you remember Montreal?
No thanks kovalchuk..not another whiner!!!
and loose a 1st rounder..ahhh have u seen the depth chat..no thanks!!

KillerCanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 10:17 PM
  #28
KillerCanuk
 
KillerCanuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Simple. This isn't a trade the Canucks contemplate. That whole team is built around the bedrock of a stud in net. Take away that element, and the whole collapses in upon itself.

For the Caps, you're obviously interested in adding one of the better goalies in the league. They'd gladly make this deal, if the Canucks were foolish enough to propose it. Yet there are some issues there as well, long term, mainly tied to the cap. The Caps have their money tied up in forwards, and too many of those guys are heading for raises soon, primarily Backstrom and Semin. You could add Luongo and have to get rid of him in short order because of his salary hit, which is only going to increase. They're banking on Theodore for a short time, at a good but not huge salary, and hoping like hell that Varlamov can take over from him in a couple of seasons.

People are ragging on the Theodore pickup, ignoring the fact that the Caps can't really afford to spend on goaltending. This is especially true after a couple of years (Backstrom, Semin raises). By contrast, with the makeup of their club, the Canucks can't really afford not to spend on goaltending.


nuff said!!

KillerCanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 10:28 PM
  #29
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends
 
Moses Doughty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Drewbacca
Country: United States
Posts: 8,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne08 View Post
My first post so don't flame me. I've read these forums for like months and I was finally able to register. Sad.


To Van:
Nylander (4.875 mil)
Theodore (4.5 mil)
Was 1st
Was 3rd

To Was:
Luongo (7.5 mil)


Then.....

To Atl:
Was 1st
Was 3rd
Van 1st
Bieksa (3.5 mil)
Kesler (1.750)

To Van:
Kovalchuk (7.5 mil)


Although I am thinking Atlanta is going to have to bonus like hell now to meet the cap floor.
Thrashers get fleeced Caps and Nucks take it and run

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 04:12 AM
  #30
myrocketsgotcracked
Registered User
 
myrocketsgotcracked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country:
Posts: 1,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Because the Caps aren't built to rely on the goalie. They rely on the offense. Theo is a cheap (for what he brings) stopgap until Varlamov/Neuvirth/Machesney are ready. Luongo's significantly less cheap.

The Caps are up against the cap/just over. In this deal they lose their #1 goalie and get back a #1 goalie, but they also lose their 2nd line center (and likely #3 overall scorer) and get back nothing. It doesn't work out that way.

I'm not saying its a terrible deal for the Caps overall, just that it doesn't work. It fills a hole that doesn't really need to be filled, and opens up an entirely new one that the Caps couldn't fill very easily.
so just because they are built to rely on offense, they are going to turn down a chance to get one of the best goalie in the world?
if you aren't willing to part with your 3rd line center (i'm assuming he is behind backstrom and at least one of fedorov or kozlov), a UFA goalie, a mid 1st and a 3rd for a superstar goalie just because your team isn't "built" on defense, than that is just sad. it's like vancouver fan turning down a trade for ovechkin for kesler, sanford, 1st and 3rd because the canucks aren't "built to rely on offense"

as for cap space, you can't/won't make room for luongo? can't dump a kozlov and theodore to add a goalie like luongo? wow!

myrocketsgotcracked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 09:32 AM
  #31
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!
 
brs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 12,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrocketsgotcracked View Post
so just because they are built to rely on offense, they are going to turn down a chance to get one of the best goalie in the world?
if you aren't willing to part with your 3rd line center (i'm assuming he is behind backstrom and at least one of fedorov or kozlov), a UFA goalie, a mid 1st and a 3rd for a superstar goalie just because your team isn't "built" on defense, than that is just sad. it's like vancouver fan turning down a trade for ovechkin for kesler, sanford, 1st and 3rd because the canucks aren't "built to rely on offense"

as for cap space, you can't/won't make room for luongo? can't dump a kozlov and theodore to add a goalie like luongo? wow!
Nylander's our 2nd line center, and he's the only solution we have as a second line center for probably 2 more years (Perrault might surprise and be ready soon, but Gustafsson won't be here for 2 years at least). Fedorov is an adequate subsitute short term, but he can't be tasked with playing that many minutes (considering he'll be a PPer and a PKer) all season. Kozlov isn't great at center, he's an ok fill in guy but his best spot is as Ovie's right wing. Laich might become an ok second line center, but he doesn't have near the playmaking ability of Nylander (think Kesler).

It's not as if the deal isn't tempting. It just opens up a huge hole for the caps, and then ties their hands so that they can't afford to fill that hole. That's not an easy thing to deal with for an entire season.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 02:12 AM
  #32
myrocketsgotcracked
Registered User
 
myrocketsgotcracked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country:
Posts: 1,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Nylander's our 2nd line center, and he's the only solution we have as a second line center for probably 2 more years (Perrault might surprise and be ready soon, but Gustafsson won't be here for 2 years at least). Fedorov is an adequate subsitute short term, but he can't be tasked with playing that many minutes (considering he'll be a PPer and a PKer) all season. Kozlov isn't great at center, he's an ok fill in guy but his best spot is as Ovie's right wing. Laich might become an ok second line center, but he doesn't have near the playmaking ability of Nylander (think Kesler).

It's not as if the deal isn't tempting. It just opens up a huge hole for the caps, and then ties their hands so that they can't afford to fill that hole. That's not an easy thing to deal with for an entire season.
the way i see it, the upgrade in net more than offset the hole you create by trading nylander. like you already mention, fedorov, kozlov and laich could possibly fill the void, if you spread the minutes around you'll find a combination that works. i just can't see how dealing nylander will cripple your team, to the point where you refuse to deal him for luongo. teams can win stanley cup with average 2nd line center, but not average goaltending.

myrocketsgotcracked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 06:01 AM
  #33
Canuckle
West Coast Express
 
Canuckle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,986
vCash: 500
Luongo and Kesler are untouchable.

Kovalchuk don't fit into our plan.

Stupid deal.

Canuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 10:05 AM
  #34
Cogliano13Gagner89
Registered User
 
Cogliano13Gagner89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Oil Fan in Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,533
vCash: 500
So Vancouver trades the best goalie in the world for an old Nylander, who's way past his prime, 2 draft picks, and a goalie who had one good season in his career, 7 years ago.

I don't think so.

Cogliano13Gagner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 04:33 PM
  #35
CM-
Registered User
 
CM-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,034
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogliano13Gagner89 View Post
So Vancouver trades the best goalie in the world for an old Nylander, who's way past his prime, 2 draft picks, and a goalie who had one good season in his career, 7 years ago.

I don't think so.
I think OP is to contradict the usual for Luongo we want Malkin + MAF from Pitts. fans. I would think that if Caps wanted Luongo and Luongo wanted out of Van (to go back to the SE) I think Caps would probably have to move Backstrom or Semin+. As for Theodore I was disappointed in the Caps signing him (hell I would rather have Raycroft over Theodore.) Theodore is long gone from his Hart/Vezina days and it will hurt not having the Canucks make him look like a Vezina Trophy winner as much as possible.

CM- is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.