HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Predict the first Hab to be traded in 2008/9 !

Old
08-24-2008, 11:26 AM
HABitual Fan

vCash: 500
I don't expect any deals before the season starts, after Christmas depending on how the young players are doing both in Montreal and Hamilton, I can see a big name leaving in order to make room, and getting a quality return for them. My candidates are Hamrlik or Kovalev. Not saying I want either gone, but if it is decided we need another center or another 1st rd pick with the draft in Montreal, these are the guys that will bring that type of return. It is also a question as was discussed in another thread of who Gainey has decided to spend money on for next season.

Roman Hamrlik, MTL - NTC [full NTC until 2/1/09; partial NTC from 2/1/09 to 2/1/11; no NTC from 2/1/11 after]
Alexei Kovalev, MTL - NTC [can't be traded to any Western Conference team prior to 1/31/09 without his consent]

it looks like Gainey kept his options open with the dates the NMC expire with regards these two

HABitual Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 11:42 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitual Fan View Post
I don't expect any deals before the season starts, after Christmas depending on how the young players are doing both in Montreal and Hamilton, I can see a big name leaving in order to make room, and getting a quality return for them. My candidates are Hamrlik or Kovalev. Not saying I want either gone, but if it is decided we need another center or another 1st rd pick with the draft in Montreal, these are the guys that will bring that type of return. It is also a question as was discussed in another thread of who Gainey has decided to spend money on for next season.

Roman Hamrlik, MTL - NTC [full NTC until 2/1/09; partial NTC from 2/1/09 to 2/1/11; no NTC from 2/1/11 after]
Alexei Kovalev, MTL - NTC [can't be traded to any Western Conference team prior to 1/31/09 without his consent]

it looks like Gainey kept his options open with the dates the NMC expire with regards these two
You don't deal your best forward or your 2nd best defenceman when you are a favourite for the cup. If they are underperforming, no one will want them at their salaries anyways. They are untradable to us this season no matter how you slice it.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 11:56 AM
Dripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Jacques Martin is just as bad as Milbury.

Luongo and Jokinen trades?

Haha, wait, they both traded them for atrocious returns.
The Luongo trade was done by Keenan.

And the Jokinen trade we'll have to see what Boynton and Ballard will do. Boynton is not that bad even if he went through the waivers a few years ago. Ballard is still young and he's a good puck moving dman.

Dripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 12:25 PM
NewHabsEra*

My prediction: no one will be traded this season..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 12:31 PM
SpreeEndaz

Mats Sundin.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 12:42 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmef8vtec View Post
i say komi and higgins for horton/bouwmester
well ... interesting. but I have a gut feeling gainey never pulls the trigger on that one.

Dandy will probably go, but I really see a dmen like obyrne and quality youth being traded at the deadline in exchange for a huge cap hit like havlat.

I really think gainey is honestly searching for elite players like he said he would... I expect him to pull the trigger faster this year when big names are on the table.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 01:13 PM
Noldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
I wouldn't be suprised to see a young dman packaged woth Higgins or Latendresse to address the need for a big centre. With so much depth at D it is possible, and if MaxPac is what we think he can be then a Higgins or Latendresse may become expendable to address a glaring need...especially with Higgins entering RFA status and wanting a long term deal like the Carter's and AK47's.

I say Higgins, his name has been mentioned in possible trades that almost happened last spring.
Based on information leaked around last year's trade deadline, Higgins generated quite some interest among the GMs (for good reasons, I would say).

With acquisition of Tanguay (especially if he can be signed for long term) and possible emergence of Pacioretty, Habs could have debth to move one winger (with Kovalev, Tanguay, A.Kost, S.Kost, Higgins, Latendresse and hopefully Pacioretty and perhaps D'Agostini fighting for 6 spots on top-9).

Moving one of the Kostitsyns is practically quite unlikely, Tanguay and Kovalev probably worth more for the team than in trade (as UFAs to be in team hopefully seriously competing for the Cup) and prospects (D'Agostini and Pacioretty) have quite low value, the possible trading chips are Higgins and Latendresse and most likely Higgins have more value in trade.

For abovementioned reasons, I could see Bob trying to get center for Higgins+ in case Sundin does not sign with Habs.

Noldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 01:33 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldo View Post
Based on information leaked around last year's trade deadline, Higgins generated quite some interest among the GMs (for good reasons, I would say).

With acquisition of Tanguay (especially if he can be signed for long term) and possible emergence of Pacioretty, Habs could have debth to move one winger (with Kovalev, Tanguay, A.Kost, S.Kost, Higgins, Latendresse and hopefully Pacioretty and perhaps D'Agostini fighting for 6 spots on top-9).

Moving one of the Kostitsyns is practically quite unlikely, Tanguay and Kovalev probably worth more for the team than in trade (as UFAs to be in team hopefully seriously competing for the Cup) and prospects (D'Agostini and Pacioretty) have quite low value, the possible trading chips are Higgins and Latendresse and most likely Higgins have more value in trade.

For abovementioned reasons, I could see Bob trying to get center for Higgins+ in case Sundin does not sign with Habs.
I really think its a stupid move to trade a very good RFA who is best friends with Mike Komisarek the year he becomes a UFA.

Maybe it's just me..

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 03:42 PM
WeezyHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne08 View Post
On a different note...

Stamkos for Price? Does either side do this deal? And is the value the same?
no way tampa bay does it..

WeezyHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 05:28 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezyHabFan View Post
no way tampa bay does it..
Tampa Bay is ****ing retarded to not do it.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 06:54 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

I think that if Sundin signs, it will be Plekanec.

Plekanec has good value. He's a bargain and he's gotten better every year. But he's going to cost a lot to keep after this season, especially if Sundin signs for two seasons (I can't see him signing for 1 year). With Koivu also up for renewal, it would mean that Gainey would have to spend at least 15 million for 3 centers, and this with Komisarek and Higgins looking for big raises.

Anyway, beyond Sundin hypotheticals, I have no idea. I agree with the poster who said that Begin and Dandenault shouldn't be mentioned because they're pretty much waiver wire material at this point. No one would take them in a trade unless equal salary could go back the other way, and I don't see the point of doing that, seeing as the Habs roster is pretty well set with the addition, finally, of a heavyweight.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 07:30 PM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post

Plekanec has good value. He's a bargain and he's gotten better every year. But he's going to cost a lot to keep after this season, especially if Sundin signs for two seasons (I can't see him signing for 1 year). With Koivu also up for renewal, it would mean that Gainey would have to spend at least 15 million for 3 centers, and this with Komisarek and Higgins looking for big raises.

Anyway, beyond Sundin hypotheticals, I have no idea. I agree with the poster who said that Begin and Dandenault shouldn't be mentioned because they're pretty much waiver wire material at this point. No one would take them in a trade unless equal salary could go back the other way, and I don't see the point of doing that, seeing as the Habs roster is pretty well set with the addition, finally, of a heavyweight.
Sundin won't play here.
So Bégin and\or Dandenault...
I pray to the Gods that Dandenault will leave ASAP!

TheDamned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 07:37 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne08 View Post
On a different note...

Stamkos for Price? Does either side do this deal? And is the value the same?
Halak/Denis isn't the greatest goalie combo for a team that wants to contend...

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 07:37 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dripper View Post
Jacques Martin is no Mike Milbury

And I don't think Dandy and Begin are tradeable. They are more waiver material, mostly because of salary. There are dozens of Begin/Dandy in the NHL/AHL for half the price.
No he is even worst.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 07:43 PM
guest1467

Steve Begin.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 07:47 PM
C-Saku Koivu MTL

My guess is Dandeanult in a 3 way deal.

Montreal: R.Lang
Atlanta: M.Dandenault, MTL 3rd round pick
Chicago: ATL 3rd round pick

Something like that.

C-Saku Koivu MTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 07:58 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Saku Koivu MTL View Post
My guess is Dandeanult in a 3 way deal.

Montreal: R.Lang
Atlanta: M.Dandenault, MTL 3rd round pick
Chicago: ATL 3rd round pick

Something like that.
And Chicago moves Lang for a third rounder for what reason?

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 08:17 PM
C-Saku Koivu MTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
And Chicago moves Lang for a third rounder for what reason?
They are over the cap by like 4mil$ right now. Might not happen but what the heck...

C-Saku Koivu MTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 08:41 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:

Until the Habs get another proven top line center , Plekanec is the last forward i would move ; If Sundin plays 1-2 season , and that Gainey trades Plekanec , who will be our top center once Sundin'll leave ? an old Koivu ? Chipchura ? Lapierre ?

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 09:10 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
Until the Habs get another proven top line center , Plekanec is the last forward i would move ; If Sundin plays 1-2 season , and that Gainey trades Plekanec , who will be our top center once Sundin'll leave ? an old Koivu ? Chipchura ? Lapierre ?
Exactly, trading Plekanec would be really dumb. He's our best centre and Sundin would only be here a year or two. Koivu would be traded before him, and I don't think Saku is going anywhere.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 09:21 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
Well, if Sundin signed, Gainey would have two more years to get a good young center. For that matter, it would also give Gainey two more years to find an established center, through UFA or trade. Maxwell should start pushing for a job within 2 years anyway.

I would try to use Plekanec to get a good center prospect or a high draft pick or at worst some asset that can easily be converted into a young center. The rumours of Edmonton - Montreal, for example, would be interesting if it was Nash and Plekanec as the principals.

I like Plekanec, but I would be happy to see Plekanec traded if it meant that Sundin signs for 2 years, that Higgins and Komsarek re-sign, and that the Habs get a good C prospect. Overall I think the Habs would be pretty well off, probably better than by keeping Plekanec for 4 or 5 million over the next 5 years or so.

Old
08-24-2008, 09:23 PM
Daniel Bigras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russeltown View Post
Who else but Dandenault?
I think he's more a waiver/buyout candidate than a trade.

Let's look at the positions we have too many players.

Left wing and Left defensemen.

Latendresse could go, since Pacioretty might have more potential than Guillaume. And since we already have Tanguay and Andrei Kostitsyn, Christopher Higgins might be on the block as well if he doesn't perform well.

But honestly, I would trade Higgins and Latendresse to get a great center.

Halak should be traded as well, the poor kid, he needs to play for a small team, he can, he should, and we could get a good pick out of it.

I would also trade Gorges, since he seems to have a good value and since we have upcoming defensemen.

And I would trade Ozymandias for Badaboum. That goes without saying.

Last edited by Daniel Bigras: 08-24-2008 at 09:29 PM.
Daniel Bigras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 09:26 PM
brownman*

It's a little presumptuous to think Sundin will go from taking a whole summer to mull over his future to inking a two-year contract isn't it?

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 09:38 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Well, if Sundin signed, Gainey would have two more years to get a good young center. For that matter, it would also give Gainey two more years to find an established center, through UFA or trade. Maxwell should start pushing for a job within 2 years anyway.

I would try to use Plekanec to get a good center prospect or a high draft pick or at worst some asset that can easily be converted into a young center. The rumours of Edmonton - Montreal, for example, would be interesting if it was Nash and Plekanec as the principals.

I like Plekanec, but I would be happy to see Plekanec traded if it meant that Sundin signs for 2 years, that Higgins and Komsarek re-sign, and that the Habs get a good C prospect. Overall I think the Habs would be pretty well off, probably better than by keeping Plekanec for 4 or 5 million over the next 5 years or so.
What's with this damn mentality on these boards? You do not trade a 25 year old centre who is currently your #1 centre for a prospect at the same position. We're talking about a proven player with a $1.6 million cap hit and is an RFA, not UFA, when his contract expires. It would be the dumbest move Gainey could make.

The point of signing Sundin is to win the Cup NOW. Trading Plekanec for a prospect makes this team worse rather than better. Keep him and worry about his contract later. Kovalev, Koivu, Tanguay are UFAs, they can afford Plekanec when he wants a raise.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 09:53 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
What's with this damn mentality on these boards? You do not trade a 25 year old centre who is currently your #1 centre for a prospect at the same position. We're talking about a proven player with a $1.6 million cap hit and is an RFA, not UFA, when his contract expires. It would be the dumbest move Gainey could make.

The point of signing Sundin is to win the Cup NOW. Trading Plekanec for a prospect makes this team worse than better. Keep him and worry about his contract later. Kovalev, Koivu, Tanguay are UFAs, they can afford Plekanec when he wants a raise.
This damn mentality is about playing for today while planning for tomorrow. It would be a party to have Sundin, Koivu and Plekanec as your three centers for a year. But then what? Let Koivu go next year? Let Plekanec get poached? Lose Komisarek to UFA?

But whatever with the salaries and the cap. I just disagree that trading Plekanec would make this team worse. IMO, Sundin is overall a big upgrade on Plekanec. There's also the outright additions of Tanguay and Laraques. And then there's another year of experience for all of the young players like Latendresse, O'Byrne, both Kostitsyns, etc. How would the team be worse next year? If Sundin signs, the team gets better and more experienced, and that's with or without Plekanec.

I don't see what's wrong with making a good trade for the future when your present circumstances give you the luxury to do so. Signing Sundin and trading Plekanec for a good return would be a net gain for this season and others into the future.