HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edmonton/Montreal

Old
08-24-2008, 11:34 AM
millax

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Here's a trade that would benefit both teams in my humble opinion:

To Edmonton:
Higgins
Halak
Dandenault

To Montreal:
Horcoff
Roloson
Ah, I see. It helps the Oilers because they trade their best player from last season, and it helps Montreal because they get the Oilers best player from last season.

It all makes sense.

millax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 11:49 AM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
You are off by a month. June is the buyout period.

Unless you have players who filed for arbitration...you can buyout somebody after the case is held (or would have been held) in that case.
Then how was Glen Murray bought out in July?

Not that I'm saying you're wrong, but just wondering what I'm missing here?

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 11:56 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by millax View Post
Ah, I see. It helps the Oilers because they trade their best player from last season, and it helps Montreal because they get the Oilers best player from last season.

It all makes sense.
I see that you know very little about the players Edmonton would be receiving. Halak is one of the league's top prospects in goal, but he plays behind Carey Price. Higgins is an alternate captain in Montreal and had 27 goals last year. He's only 25. Dandenault would bring experience and versatility as he can play both forward and defense and has blazing speed. He only has one year to his contract so the Oilers would have the option to extend him or offer him another contract if they wish.

It's not as one-sided as you want to make it sound.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 12:25 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridStylez View Post
Hell no for Montreal. They can get sooooooooo much better in return for Halak...
Hmm, what did you get for Huet again? Non-elite goalies never return as much as you think they will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFlyer View Post
Then how was Glen Murray bought out in July?

Not that I'm saying you're wrong, but just wondering what I'm missing here?
There is another buyout period after arbitration awards to allow teams to fit in the arbitrated salaries.

And no to that Horcoff/Roli deal. We aren't trading a 70-80p C who wins draws, PK's, and is great in his own end for that kind of return. The Habs aren't going to get another teams PPG guys for a deal around Higgins.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 12:43 PM
Brian28

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Hmm, what did you get for Huet again? Non-elite goalies never return as much as you think they will.

There is another buyout period after arbitration awards to allow teams to fit in the arbitrated salaries.

And no to that Horcoff/Roli deal. We aren't trading a 70-80p C who wins draws, PK's, and is great in his own end for that kind of return. The Habs aren't going to get another teams PPG guys for a deal around Higgins.
I don't think it's really that bad for either team. Horcoff Would fit in well with their lines and Higgins would fit in pretty well with ours. The only problem for us is it makes us find a first line center and Gagner is still a year or two away. What it does do for the Oilers is address the goaltending needs. I'm not convinced JDD is NHL material, and Dubnyk is still a work in progress. Halak could be just what we need to backup Garon this year and decide who to retain longterm or perhaps run a tandem of both. Dandenault wouldn't really fit in most spots on our lines, but they take Roli'd salary as exchange for us takign Dandenault.

That being said after already losing two of our PKers and faceoff guys I don't see the Oilers making this deal. The team would have no veteran centers capable of playing first line, they'd have a much weaker PK, 5 on 5 first line, and shotblocking. We just can't afford to lose Stoll, Reasoner, Horcoff, and Greene in the same offseason. That's the majority of our faceoff wins, a lot of our PKers, shotblockers, and a couple pretty tough guys overall. That would decimate this team next year.

I think it's more a meh proposal. Nothing to really be too upset over but not what either teams fanbases would value as "fair return" for their players, and for next year the Oilers would be taking a run at Tavares while Montreal took a run at the cup.

Brian28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 12:52 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Thanks for the response. The clarification is much appreciated

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 12:53 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
Begin, Kostopoulos, Lapierre, Dandenault, Laraque, Chipchura, Pouliot, Jacques

How many 4th liners do we need?
Just 3.

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 12:55 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian28 View Post
I don't think it's really that bad for either team. Horcoff Would fit in well with their lines and Higgins would fit in pretty well with ours. The only problem for us is it makes us find a first line center and Gagner is still a year or two away. What it does do for the Oilers is address the goaltending needs. I'm not convinced JDD is NHL material, and Dubnyk is still a work in progress. Halak could be just what we need to backup Garon this year and decide who to retain longterm or perhaps run a tandem of both. Dandenault wouldn't really fit in most spots on our lines, but they take Roli'd salary as exchange for us takign Dandenault.

That being said after already losing two of our PKers and faceoff guys I don't see the Oilers making this deal. The team would have no veteran centers capable of playing first line, they'd have a much weaker PK, 5 on 5 first line, and shotblocking. We just can't afford to lose Stoll, Reasoner, Horcoff, and Greene in the same offseason. That's the majority of our faceoff wins, a lot of our PKers, shotblockers, and a couple pretty tough guys overall. That would decimate this team next year.

I think it's more a meh proposal. Nothing to really be too upset over but not what either teams fanbases would value as "fair return" for their players, and for next year the Oilers would be taking a run at Tavares while Montreal took a run at the cup.
What if former Prince-Albert Raider Kyle Chipchura was somehow included in that deal? He started the season in Montreal last year and played well, but Smolinski basically was brought in for that role.

Old
08-24-2008, 01:01 PM
Passchendaele

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridStylez View Post
Hell no for Montreal. They can get sooooooooo much better in return for Halak...
Not really.

the market for goaltenders is horrible.

Passchendaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 01:09 PM
Brian28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
What if former Prince-Albert Raider Kyle Chipchura was somehow included in that deal? He started the season in Montreal last year and played well, but Smolinski basically was brought in for that role.
Unfortunately the only player I see on Montreals Roster that could really replace Horcoff is Pleks. Pleks and Horcoff are the same type of player. Horcoff in Montreal now would help them go fora cup, but in a year or two Pleks will probably do the same job.

The Oilers really lost way too much penalty killing ability, shotblocking, and faceoff guys to trade away the last player we have capable of all of that.

Overall I'd say the value is pretty fair to both teams, but there's no way the Oilers would trade off Horcoff right now...they just need him too much right now.

Brian28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 01:12 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

vCash: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passchendaele View Post
Not really.

the market for goaltenders is horrible.
Oh well, we'll just keep him then and continue to have the best young goalie duo in the game. What a disaster for us.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 01:48 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Oh well, we'll just keep him then and continue to have the best young goalie duo in the game. What a disaster for us.
No kidding. Montreal's not in a place where they have to trade Halak, and keeping him around only helps the club, as opposed to having Denis or an overpaid veteran (e.g. Roloson) as a backup instead.

Halak and Price have both admitted that with both of them there it drives them to become better goalies.

08-24-2008, 01:53 PM
Raoul Duke*

Quote:
Look, Oiler fans, if you want Halak in exchange for a young center, it's gotta be for Nash or Cogliano.
Keep dreaming. It'll be funny when Halak lands somewhere like Florida for a 2nd round pick.

Raoul Duke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 07:44 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

vCash: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
Keep dreaming. It'll be funny when Halak lands somewhere like Florida for a 2nd round pick.
How convenient of you to eliminate the part of my post in that quote that said a deal of Halak for Cogliano would obviously have to be bigger than just a straight up swap.

And an Oiler fan actually felt a deal built around Halak for Nash was fair just last week:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...ght=Riley+Nash

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 09:26 PM
Passchendaele

Halak for Nash would be fair.

but Halak for Cogliano, no way.

Old
08-24-2008, 09:38 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

I think Nash + Roloson for Halak + Dandenault would be a pretty fair deal. At least, if I were Gainey, I'd think about it for a while. It really depends on Roloson. If the guy can be a good mentor and give 25-30 solid games, then it would be pretty tempting.

In fact, I'm pretty sure I'd do it.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 09:51 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

I wouldn't trade Halak for Nash. Not this season. I'd require that a player coming back for Halak must be able to make an impact this season, which Nash can't/won't because he's going back to Cornell. Otherwise we're just making the present club worse for futures, which doesn't help a Cup run.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 10:03 PM
Rayne*

Quote:
Halak for Nash would be fair.
Based on what exactly?

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 10:09 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
I think Nash + Roloson for Halak + Dandenault would be a pretty fair deal. At least, if I were Gainey, I'd think about it for a while. It really depends on Roloson. If the guy can be a good mentor and give 25-30 solid games, then it would be pretty tempting.

In fact, I'm pretty sure I'd do it.
I certainly could see that trade whether or not we get Sundin. I was fortunate enough to have seen Nash play for the Salmon Arm Silverbacks in the BCHL and he's a good player. Will he become a good NHL'er? Time will tell. Having said that, it would all depend on how Marc Denis performs as he may very well be capable to be a solid backup in Montreal...

Old
08-24-2008, 11:16 PM
Passchendaele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
Based on what exactly?
both are unproven young players with good potential. even if some people here would argue that Halak is "proven", they are wrong. and I am saying this with no bias.

he played 22 NHL games. only six last year.

Old
08-25-2008, 09:34 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
both are unproven young players with good potential. even if some people here would argue that Halak is "proven", they are wrong. and I am saying this with no bias.

he played 22 NHL games. only six last year.
Agreed. Having said that though, he's a heck of a lot closer to the NHL than Nash is, and he's shown that he can excel at the pro level.