HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Boston - Columbus

Old
08-24-2008, 05:13 PM
Nikita Filatov*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacketshockey View Post
Columbus does not trade Rick Nash.
If they got Bergeron, Rask, AND 2 first round picks, they would pack is bags and drive him to the airport.

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 05:16 PM
Edler Statesman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsfan1 View Post
If they got Bergeron, Rask, AND 2 first round picks, they would pack is bags and drive him to the airport.
The trade doesn't make sense. Why does Columbus need Rask if they have Leclaire and Mason?

Also, Columbus needs to make the playoffs this year. It's very crucial that they do. Why would they trade the face of the franchise and the best player who has ever played for the Jackets, for a player who missed almost an entire season with concussions, a prospect, and a couple of draft picks who aren't even guaranteed to end up as NHL contributors?

edit: I just wanted to add that I do think the Bruins package is worth more from an objective value perspective, and the trade becomes bad for Columbus only when you incorporate the specific circumstances.

Last edited by Edler Statesman*: 08-24-2008 at 05:52 PM.
Edler Statesman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 05:32 PM
CamDegs13
Nose Face Killah

This may be hands down the worst proposal I have seen on these boards involving the Bruins. B's get ripped off BADLY.

CamDegs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 05:38 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacketshockey View Post
The trade doesn't make sense. Why does Columbus need Rask if they have Leclaire and Mason?

Also, Columbus needs to make the playoffs this year. It's very crucial that they do. Why would they trade the face of the franchise and the best player who has ever played for the Jackets, for a player who missed almost an entire season with concussions, a prospect, and a couple of draft picks who aren't even guaranteed to end up as NHL contributors?

Exactly.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 05:50 PM
Nikita Filatov*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Exactly.
Columbus would take that and run. You know it, I know it, the whole world knows it. Bergeron has higher point totals than Nash and is younger. Rask is a future top tier goalie. the 2 first rounders would be a bit lower, but in the 09 draft a bottom half pick is almost like a top half pick in most drafts. Whether they keep rask or trade him is another story....But that is VERY good value for a guy who has never topped 70 points.

Old
08-24-2008, 06:07 PM
Ludicrous Speed

I think we're overrating points here a bit. Nash plays in every situation, is the face of the franchise, and is the captain while he hasn't even hit his prime. He controls the puck among the best in the game, forechecks, backchecks, hits, and gives it all every shift.

But if you want to bring numbers in it, he's never played with anything close to a legit top line. He's had steadily increasing numbers over the years while playing in a defensive-minded system and improving his all-around game tremendously. He also dominates every international competition playing with a legit line and going up against the best defense.

So don't tell me you wouldn't take Nash just because he hasn't hit 70 points, that's just ridiculous. He's worth much more than that.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 06:18 PM
Nikita Filatov*

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitbasketer743 View Post
I think we're overrating points here a bit. Nash plays in every situation, is the face of the franchise, and is the captain while he hasn't even hit his prime. He controls the puck among the best in the game, forechecks, backchecks, hits, and gives it all every shift.
Bergeron is probably the best 2-way forward on the bruins. Plays exceptional defense, great offensively, he does everything...Are you saying Bergeron has hit his prime?

Quote:
But if you want to bring numbers in it, he's never played with anything close to a legit top line. He's had steadily increasing numbers over the years while playing in a defensive-minded system and improving his all-around game tremendously. He also dominates every international competition playing with a legit line and going up against the best defense.
Brad Boyes and Marco Sturm aren't exactly top line talents either. They're good, but certainly no first-liners...(Boyes is now, not in Boston)

Quote:
So don't tell me you wouldn't take Nash just because he hasn't hit 70 points, that's just ridiculous. He's worth much more than that.
I never said I wouldn't take him. Like I said he's one of my 5 favorite players, but he certainly isn't worth trading a younger player (who has put up better numbers) a 21 year old future top tier goalie, a 1st rounder in a great draft class, and if that wasn't enough, another 1st in 2010.

Old
08-24-2008, 06:23 PM
Shark Staal
Woah

Quote:
Bergeron is probably the best 2-way forward on the bruins. Plays exceptional defense, great offensively, he does everything...Are you saying Bergeron has hit his prime?

Brad Boyes and Marco Sturm aren't exactly top line talents either. They're good, but certainly no first-liners...(Boyes is now, not in Boston)

I never said I wouldn't take him. Like I said he's one of my 5 favorite players, but he certainly isn't worth trading a younger player (who has put up better numbers) a 21 year old future top tier goalie, a 1st rounder in a great draft class, and if that wasn't enough, another 1st in 2010.
Boyes, Sturm > Manny Malhotra

Nash is a top 3 powerforward only behind Iginla and if you count AO as a PF. If Nash was to even sniff a lineup containing Boyes and Sturm he'd notch 90+ points annually.

Shark Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 06:26 PM
Varius

Ducks send you Schneider, Kunitz, Ryan and a prospect for Nash.

Varius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 06:27 PM
Nikita Filatov*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
Boyes, Sturm > Manny Malhotra

Nash is a top 3 powerforward only behind Iginla and if you count AO as a PF. If Nash was to even sniff a lineup containing Boyes and Sturm he'd notch 90+ points annually.
No...Think what you want but that is not close to fair value.

Old
08-24-2008, 06:30 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

Columbus finally gets their center for Nash!

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:

I agree with what you say. I wasn't saying that Bergy isn't a good two-way player, and I certainly wasn't saying that he has hit his prime.

The things that interest me in the deal are Bergeron and the 09 first. We have no need for Rask, as I've said before. So the combination of Bergeron, Lashoff, and the 09 first would get my attention. But I probably wouldn't do it for the reasons I've stated. Nash is the Captain, face of the franchise, and has market value here, while on the cusp of hitting his prime. It just wouldn't be smart for the franchise even if we are getting good value back.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CBJFan827

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varius View Post
Ducks send you Schneider, Kunitz, Ryan and a prospect for Nash.
Absolutely not.

CBJFan827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 06:38 PM
Nikita Filatov*

Quote:
I agree with what you say. I wasn't saying that Bergy isn't a good two-way player, and I certainly wasn't saying that he has hit his prime.

The things that interest me in the deal are Bergeron and the 09 first. We have no need for Rask, as I've said before. So the combination of Bergeron, Lashoff, and the 09 first would get my attention. But I probably wouldn't do it for the reasons I've stated. Nash is the Captain, face of the franchise, and has market value here, while on the cusp of hitting his prime. It just wouldn't be smart for the franchise even if we are getting good value back.
The only way I see the Bruins trading Bergeron is if they know Krejci will be a legit #2 center and either Savard signs an extension or Colborne or Hamill show they can become good players. Even then I doubt it, even if it is for a player who would dominate on Savards wing. I just don't think it's worth it when the bruins could make one simple move (bergy to wing) and not have to give up a valuable pick and a PM defensemen.

Old
08-24-2008, 09:19 PM
Blane Youngblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloveSave View Post
No way, that is some desperate overrating of Rick Nash.
Absolutely, I wouldn't do Bergeron + Rask for Nash from a Boston point of view.

Blane Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 10:14 PM
STRANGE VICTORY

Quote:
you guys may have gotten a bad deal for Thornton, but that doesn't mean we're that stupid. That's a horrible deal.

And Hamil instead of Marchand wouldn't make it better, hell, adding Hamil to that deal wouldn't make it much better.
I dont know how that is a horrible deal, Sturm has 29 goals the last two years, Kessel had 19 last year and was tabbed as the most offensively talented guy in his draft and was the early pick for #1 overall. Marchand is a quality guy that works incredibly hard and is very skilled or if you went with Hamil who is one of the Bs top prospects and a guy that is expected to be a top 2 line center some day, and is a pretty safe bet to get there.

STRANGE VICTORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 12:04 AM
LetEmPlay

on some of the posts saying CBJ doesnt need Rask...

In an NHL where a legit # 1 is the most important element in a playoff contender... EVERY team welcomes a Tukka Rask. If I've got Broduer and Roy (each in their prime) on my roster, I still want top quality goaltending prospects in the program... ever heard of Jim Carey?

LetEmPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 12:12 AM
Topshelf8188
Boston Strong

Realistically, neither team will do this, as their biggest needs aren't being addressed. Sure, Boston needs scoring on the wing, but giving up your best two way center will not help this area one bit. Nash is the face of the Blue Jacket's and what the Bruins would be willing to give up and what the Blue Jackets would want in return for him are probably not the same-they'd more than likely want more than what the original proposal includes. But both teams could use some help on the blue line and in the secondary scoring department...and this deal doesn't get it done in either facet.

Topshelf8188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 12:15 AM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
No thanks. Nash (although he hasn't had a great surrounding cast) hasn't put up numbers to warrant this kind of return. 2 Franchise players AND 2 first round picks for a guy who has a career high 69 points. I'll pass.
2 franchise players?

Really?

Really?

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 12:18 AM
Nikita Filatov*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Graves View Post
2 franchise players?

Really?

Really?
Bergeron...23 years old...best 2-way forward on the team...already has 2 seasons of 70+ points...I'd say that's a franchise player.

Rask...Yes he projects to be a franchise goalie.

I don't see what you're trying to prove. If you actually think trading our 2 building blocks for a guy who has never cracked 70 points, you're crazy.

Old
08-25-2008, 12:20 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
I would think this is a no from Columbus' perspective. Bergeron is coming off a concusion so whether he can return to his previous level of play remains to be seen. Rask is a prospect and has proven anything at the NHL level. Columbus does this and it sends the signal to their fans that they don't expect to make the playoffs again.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 12:21 AM
Nikita Filatov*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedetector View Post
I would think this is a no from Columbus' perspective. Bergeron is coming off a concusion so whether he can return to his previous level of play remains to be seen. Rask is a prospect and has proven anything at the NHL level. Columbus does this and it sends the signal to their fans that they don't expect to make the playoffs again.
I disagree. Bergeron isn't someone you acquire to rebuild.

Old
08-25-2008, 12:44 AM
MeestaDeteta

Quote:
I disagree. Bergeron isn't someone you acquire to rebuild.
except his concussion situation would make me a little nervous about picking him up... especially giving up a player like Nash for him.

Old
08-25-2008, 12:47 AM
Nikita Filatov*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedetector View Post
except his concussion situation would make me a little nervous about picking him up... especially giving up a player like Nash for him.
And that's very understandable. I think all teams would be weary of trading for him, and the bruins would be weary of trading him.

Old
08-25-2008, 01:11 AM
MeestaDeteta

Quote:
And that's very understandable. I think all teams would be weary of trading for him, and the bruins would be weary of trading him.
Completely agree... and that's why I don't think this trade makes sense for Columbus (or trading for Bergeron for any team right now). Boston values him very highly due to the points he's put up in the past and other teams will value him less due to his recent concussion.