HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sports illustrated predict top free agent busts.

Old
08-25-2008, 01:53 PM
Ovens

vCash: 500
Sports illustrated predict top free agent busts.

So Alan Muir over at Sports Illustrated calls Naslund and Redden the two potential biggest free agent busts of the year , so is this guy a hack, or is he very perceptive?

"2. Markus Naslund (two years, $8 million) and 1. Wade Redden (six years, $39 million)

No, you haven't stepped into the Wayback Machine. Rangers GM Glen Sather is at it again, signing name players who appear to be well past their best-by dates to contracts that are as generous as a no-bid Iraq contract.

Neither veteran is completely washed up, but at this point they downward slope looks pretty slippery. And it's worth noting that neither player generated much in the way of mourning upon leaving his previous employer".

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?eref=T1

Ovens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 01:59 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovens View Post
So Alan Muir over at Sports Illustrated calls Naslund and Redden the two potential biggest free agent busts of the year , so is this guy a hack, or is he very perceptive?

"2. Markus Naslund (two years, $8 million) and 1. Wade Redden (six years, $39 million)

No, you haven't stepped into the Wayback Machine. Rangers GM Glen Sather is at it again, signing name players who appear to be well past their best-by dates to contracts that are as generous as a no-bid Iraq contract.

Neither veteran is completely washed up, but at this point they downward slope looks pretty slippery. And it's worth noting that neither player generated much in the way of mourning upon leaving his previous employer".

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?eref=T1
I hope this guy is a hack but it's something i've been saying since early July....Actuallyy these are all good points..

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 02:01 PM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

well, you figure the odds that one will be a bust... and one won't be. Hopefully its Naslund then... only 2 years

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 02:10 PM
Melrose_Jr.

So Naslund is more likely to be a bust than Avery @ almost the same money and for twice as long? Ooooooo....Kkkkkkkkk.......

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 02:10 PM
jaywills1020

al muir is kind of like ekhlund. you just dont listen to him.

jaywills1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 02:16 PM
TheSchwab

Send a message via MSN to TheSchwab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
So Naslund is more likely to be a bust than Avery @ almost the same money and for twice as long?
I wouldn't doubt it.

TheSchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 02:24 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
There concerns are there for both of them, no doubt.

That said, I can't say that they are worse than Finger or Ryder or Theodore

08-25-2008, 02:25 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
I can see how Redden could be a bust, unfortunately. I hope not and I'm really pulling for the guy..but Naslund? I think most people know he's closer to the end of his career than the beginning, and aren't expecting him to score the 35+ goals he did with Vancouver. How can he score 20-25 goals and be considered a bust?

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 02:29 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Redden is the biggest concern for bust, because if he is, you have a big contract that will be tough to move. Naslund is here for two years, if he isn't too good, at least he's not a sore for many years.

If Naslund puts up anywhere in the 20 goal range then I he'll be far from a bust.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 02:29 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Now I admit I'm a bit of a homer for Redden because I know the guy pretty well, but having said that he MIGHT not get back to being a 6.5 mil a year type d-man, but he'll be a lot better in Reney's system then he has been in Bryan Murray's lack of a system. Defensivly he'll be tons better then what he's been and IMO if he's gaining confidence on the defensive side of the puck then he'll be better off on the offensive side of the puck.

I can see why Wade is on this list though given that he's been so off for the last 2 years and still got paid like a number 1, but again I believe he's so much better suited for the Rangers system. No way either of these guys should be ranked higher then Commodore, Michael Ryder, or Cristobal Huet who's not even mentioned in the article.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 02:30 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i have no idea what was just said, all i can do is stare at Ari's avatar.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 02:31 PM
Chimp

I just say what you've said. To not have concerns about this issue is to be ridiculously optimistic. We had the same questions last season when Gomez and Drury arrived. "Will they fit in?" Both Redden and Näslund have had bad seasons behind them and there are no guarantees that they'll turn it around. And what about Zherdev? Will he fit in?

However, to be able to succeed, you must take risks. I just hope the question the NYR management have asked themselves after all these trades are "will these players fit into the NYR system?", instead of "can we build a system around these players?"

I kind of imagine the answer is "yes". Redden will probably not be sad if he plays in a defensive minded system, while Näslund, Zherdev and Fritsche all come from teams that have played it very defensively (Vancouver and Columbus). So it's not like the situation will be new to them and that the trading partners were two defensive minded teams from the west shouldn't be a surprise. Näslund and Zherdev should have enough skilled players around them to be able to have the chance to succeed, while Redden will have Lundqvist to bail him out once and then.

If signing Redden and Näslund, while trading for Zherdev and Fritsche were the right things, I don't know yet. No one does. I do think however, that letting Jagr, Shanny, Straka, Malik and Avery go was the right thing.

Last edited by Chimp: 08-25-2008 at 02:53 PM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 02:36 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Someone go in and tape this article to the board in the locker room.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 02:38 PM
JR#9*

I think Naslund will bounce back and if Sundin did come aboard I think he and Mats could be a great pair on whatever line they are on.

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 02:39 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchwab View Post
I wouldn't doubt it.
Then you must have some pretty skewed expectations for Naslund.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 02:45 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
So Naslund is more likely to be a bust than Avery @ almost the same money and for twice as long? Ooooooo....Kkkkkkkkk.......
pretty much....

Old
08-25-2008, 02:46 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchwab View Post
I wouldn't doubt it.
Avery will be playing on a line with Brad Richards. Dallas is going to expect 25-30-55 season by Avery and they wont get it. im prepared for the 25-25-50 season that is low for Naslund.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 02:56 PM
mti79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i have no idea what was just said, all i can do is stare at Ari's avatar.
What he said... did anyone even add to this conversation after Ari's post? I stopped paying attention...

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 03:02 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

I can't argue with people who say Redden is going to be a bust. With that length and term on his contract, and considering his play and age, of course its easy to say he'll be the biggest bust.

Fine, whatever - he has a lot to prove and the fans are crossing their fingers that what he needs is exactly what hes gotten - a change of scenery.

Can't dispute that.

But Naslund at #2 i have a big problem with.

Quote:
Naslund, whose career has been in decline since the end of the lockout, posted just 55 points last season, his lowest total in a decade. His shot, long the bread and butter of his game, has lost its zip, and he's no longer capable of creating his own space. Brandon Dubinsky might help, but he's no Todd Bertuzzi, Naslund's running mate in his prime. Even over a short term, you need to be able to make things happen on your own to justify that kind of cash.
First off, it can't be that big of a "bust" if its a decent deal. "that kind of cash" ?? Hes only signed for 2 years at 4.0 each. Thats not a crazy contract and even if he doesnt perform this season you only have him under contract for one more year and he could be bought out if necessary.

But i seriously doubt that is going to happen. Secondly, Muir not only disses Naslund but Dubinsky as well. Dubinsky had the same amount of points last year as Bertuzzi did. Same amount of goals and assists, and in his rookie year. Whatever. Who knows if dubi will be as good as Bertuzzi in his prime, but hes a rookie for christssake.

And lastly, Naslund will have a center hes going to connect with. Mark my words. It might be Gomez, Drury or Dubinsky. 3 distinctly different centers, and I really feel hell be fine with one of them. He is going to be ready, hes already stated that hes going to prepare for this season like he has for no other - hes got a fresh start.

Quote:
And it's worth noting that neither player generated much in the way of mourning upon leaving his previous employer.
Oh, and thats not true because a ton of Nucks fans were upset about Naz leaving, and most of them wished him luck in New York - hoping he would turn it around.

This is locker room material if you ask me.

Post it up.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 03:04 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
People doubting them? Good. Gives these guys motivation to get back on top of their games.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 03:10 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
I almost don't blame this author, it's just too easy to pick on the Rangers. They always land some free agents in the offseason, and most people are hoping that they fail because, well, the Rangers are a hated team. One of the most hated in the league.

But to have them taking spots #1 and #2? Did this guy watch any of the other signings this offseason?

Whatever... I'm so done with offseason threads. If I don't get some on-ice action soon I'm gonna have a mental breakdown.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 03:14 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I can't argue with people who say Redden is going to be a bust. With that length and term on his contract, and considering his play and age, of course its easy to say he'll be the biggest bust.

Fine, whatever - he has a lot to prove and the fans are crossing their fingers that what he needs is exactly what hes gotten - a change of scenery.

Can't dispute that.

But Naslund at #2 i have a big problem with.

First off, it can't be that big of a "bust" if its a decent deal. "that kind of cash" ?? Hes only signed for 2 years at 4.0 each. Thats not a crazy contract and even if he doesnt perform this season you only have him under contract for one more year and he could be bought out if necessary.
But i seriously doubt that is going to happen. Secondly, Muir not only disses Naslund but Dubinsky as well. Dubinsky had the same amount of points last year as Bertuzzi did. Same amount of goals and assists, and in his rookie year. Whatever. Who knows if dubi will be as good as Bertuzzi in his prime, but hes a rookie for christssake.

And lastly, Naslund will have a center hes going to connect with. Mark my words. It might be Gomez, Drury or Dubinsky. 3 distinctly different centers, and I really feel hell be fine with one of them. He is going to be ready, hes already stated that hes going to prepare for this season like he has for no other - hes got a fresh start.

Oh, and thats not true because a ton of Nucks fans were upset about Naz leaving, and most of them wished him luck in New York - hoping he would turn it around.

This is locker room material if you ask me.

Post it up.
You realize Dubinsky did nothing without Jagr right?

You realize Naslund has a NMC which makes that contract terrible......

Old
08-25-2008, 03:17 PM
BTD5504

Quote:

avery is waaaay more valuable than naslund...look at the rangers record the last two seasons with avery in the lineup vs. him being out.

he's also much younger than naslund.

i think naslund will have a descent year, but not good enough to warrant $4.5mil/year

BTD5504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 03:18 PM
BTD5504

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
I can see how Redden could be a bust, unfortunately. I hope not and I'm really pulling for the guy..but Naslund? I think most people know he's closer to the end of his career than the beginning, and aren't expecting him to score the 35+ goals he did with Vancouver. How can he score 20-25 goals and be considered a bust?

because if you're being paid as much as Naslund is, 20-25 goals is not enough production.

BTD5504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 03:19 PM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post
I almost don't blame this author, it's just too easy to pick on the Rangers. They always land some free agents in the offseason, and most people are hoping that they fail because, well, the Rangers are a hated team. One of the most hated in the league.

But to have them taking spots #1 and #2? Did this guy watch any of the other signings this offseason?

Whatever... I'm so done with offseason threads. If I don't get some on-ice action soon I'm gonna have a mental breakdown.
I find that hard to believe. Outside of Philly, NJ, the Isles... who *hates* the Rangers with a passion?

Detroit... Pittsburgh, the Leafs, Canadians, Flames, Philedelphia (who really likes anything from Philly? seriously) Canucks, even Colorado and/or Dallas... I feel like those teams are hated by more teams... either due to recent success, past history, or playing in Canada.

Last edited by Mr Bojanglez: 08-25-2008 at 03:24 PM.
Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote