HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alexander Nikulin's Blog Part II

Old
08-25-2008, 03:04 PM
ThirtyFive

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to ThirtyFive
A couple of notes of interest. First of all, according to xe.com, 80,000 Russian rubles equals to 3,272.65 US dollars. And second of all, today is Nikulin's birthday!

С днём рождения, Александр!

ThirtyFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 04:45 PM
Egil

I think this guy is going to make the team for sure. He is certainly putting in the effort, and I think he definitely had the head for the game as well.

Egil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 07:15 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

god - i really wish we hadnt signed kelly now.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 08:01 PM
PatrickEaves
We Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
god - i really wish we hadnt signed kelly now.
We can always trade him and Mezzy for Bouwmeester. >_>

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 12:21 AM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyBass View Post
We can always trade him and Mezzy for Bouwmeester. >_>

If it is possible, then go ahead Murray !

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 04:03 AM
Penner getrdonebryan

Once again , thanks 35 !

Happy birthday Nuke ! I hope you have a strong year and make the team

Penner getrdonebryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 06:59 AM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

I would think that Spezza, Heatley, Alfredson, Fisher, Vermette, Kelly, Neil, Ruutu, Donovan and McAmmond are probably pencilled in to make the team. With 13 forwards already signed Nikulin will have to fight it out with Foligno, Bass and Winchester for those two final spots. And what happens if Murray signs that veteran top 6 forward he is looking for? The other question is will Nikulin report to Bingo if he doesn't make the Ottawa team? It will certainly be interesting to see what happens at training camp this year although trades are always a possibility to change the makeup of a team in a hurry.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 08:44 AM
Hell on Heels
classless chick :(

Send a message via Skype™ to Hell on Heels
Happy late birthday Nukes!

Thanks again Thirtyfive!

Twitter: @livelikeagypsy
Hell on Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 09:22 AM
Senateurs
No rispek!!

I think he will make the club. I see McAmmond being scratched from time to time as well as Winchester alternating with Nikulin.

Senateurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 09:56 AM
Egil

There are also injuries (which will happen) as well.

As an aside, can we send Winchester down? I know we couldn't last year because of how late we signed him or something, but what about this year?

Old
08-26-2008, 10:09 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egil View Post
There are also injuries (which will happen) as well.

As an aside, can we send Winchester down? I know we couldn't last year because of how late we signed him or something, but what about this year?
due to the one game he played last year, he is waiver elegible.
We can send him down, but someone can take him either going down or coming back up.

Old
08-26-2008, 10:25 AM
petelevi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
I would think that Spezza, Heatley, Alfredson, Fisher, Vermette, Kelly, Neil, Ruutu, Donovan and McAmmond are probably pencilled in to make the team. With 13 forwards already signed Nikulin will have to fight it out with Foligno, Bass and Winchester for those two final spots. And what happens if Murray signs that veteran top 6 forward he is looking for? The other question is will Nikulin report to Bingo if he doesn't make the Ottawa team? It will certainly be interesting to see what happens at training camp this year although trades are always a possibility to change the makeup of a team in a hurry.
I believe Nikulin has made it clear he is staying in North America regardless of whether he makes the team straight out or not (Ilya Zubov is the same way).

On the Winchester question, he's on a one-way and I have yet to see the Sens put someone on that kind of contract in the minors, so I don't think he's going anywhere.

The odds are good that Nikulin will start in Bingo (depending on injuries), but I do not think the Sens are going to keep Dean McAmmond, and if he's traded I think he would be the guy called up. Training camp will make a strong impact on what happens. On the plus side, we know Nikulin is going to be in better condition than he was last year, & that will help.

petelevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 10:30 AM
Germz
4th liners ftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senateurs View Post
I think he will make the club. I see McAmmond being scratched from time to time as well as Winchester alternating with Nikulin.
I mentioned this on a another thread, but I can see Donovan as a scratch too. With his salary I see him as a 13th forward. And as many people have stated, I can see McAmmond being moved at some point.

But if Winchester has to clear waivers to be sent down, that complicates things. Can't see why he wouldn't though. At least at this stage, he hasn't proven anything yet.

Even if they don't make the big club, if they are willing to start the season in Binghamton, Nikulin and Zubov should be right on the bubble of injury-callup, and who knows, we could have a situation like Eaves' rookie year, where Bochenski got the spot out of camp but Eaves looked so good as a call-up that he won out and Bochenski was shipped.

Germz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 10:42 AM
Egil

I can see Bass being sent back down as well, we have many of his type of player and less offensive guys. But somebody always gets hurt and without McGratton we can carry 13 useful forwards at all time as well.

Old
08-26-2008, 11:01 AM
petelevi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egil View Post
I can see Bass being sent back down as well, we have many of his type of player and less offensive guys. But somebody always gets hurt and without McGratton we can carry 13 useful forwards at all time as well.
I agree. I don't think Bass is guaranteed a spot, although I like what he showed last year. The only young players who have a roster spot set aside for them are Lee, Foligno, and Winchester.

Old
08-26-2008, 11:11 AM
Senateurs
No rispek!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germz View Post
I mentioned this on a another thread, but I can see Donovan as a scratch too. With his salary I see him as a 13th forward. And as many people have stated, I can see McAmmond being moved at some point.

But if Winchester has to clear waivers to be sent down, that complicates things. Can't see why he wouldn't though. At least at this stage, he hasn't proven anything yet.

Even if they don't make the big club, if they are willing to start the season in Binghamton, Nikulin and Zubov should be right on the bubble of injury-callup, and who knows, we could have a situation like Eaves' rookie year, where Bochenski got the spot out of camp but Eaves looked so good as a call-up that he won out and Bochenski was shipped.
Your right, Donovan too.

If future HOF'er Chelios can be scratched, I think we could do the same with McAmmond and Donovan. It seems like there has been some kind of a country club atmosphere going on here for the past year where the coaching staff was reluctant to hurt somebody's feeling. Donovan, McAmmond, Neil, Meszaros even Redden could've been sent to the press box for a game because of their lacklustre play. I know a ton of coaches who wouldn't have hesitated to take that decision.

Old
08-26-2008, 11:44 AM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

vCash: 250
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Why do people just assume Nikulin and Zubov will head home right away? They've shown a commitment to the Ottawa organization, and doesn't the new NHL/KHL agreement mean they have to honor their contracts?

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 12:50 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Why do people just assume Nikulin and Zubov will head home right away? They've shown a commitment to the Ottawa organization, and doesn't the new NHL/KHL agreement mean they have to honor their contracts?
i dunno - the russian stigma still stands for some people.

I'm not that worried about nikulin right now.
The sens cant carry more than 13 forwards and 7 d-men. 10 players were mentioned as locks above (even if they are scratched, mcammond and donovan will not be sent down), leaving foligno, winchester, bass, zubov and nukes to battle it out for 3 spots.

Foligno gets a spot because he's allready got it. winchester gets a spot because he has to clear waivers. Bass probably gets a spot because he is further along, and he'd have to be pretty bad at camp to lose out to one of nikulin or zubov at this point.

well, that leaves nukes and zubov battling it out for 0 spots!

dont worry. Injuries will happen. If there is an injury in the bottom six, nikulin should be first call up. If there is an injury in the top six, zubov might get a chance ahead of him, but its more likely that kelly/mcammond/donovan fills the hole and nikulin is called up to replace them in the bottom six. Bottom line, nikulin will get playing time, probably 30-40 games.

Old
08-26-2008, 04:00 PM
petelevi

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
i dunno - the russian stigma still stands for some people.

I'm not that worried about nikulin right now.
The sens cant carry more than 13 forwards and 7 d-men. 10 players were mentioned as locks above (even if they are scratched, mcammond and donovan will not be sent down), leaving foligno, winchester, bass, zubov and nukes to battle it out for 3 spots.

Foligno gets a spot because he's allready got it. winchester gets a spot because he has to clear waivers. Bass probably gets a spot because he is further along, and he'd have to be pretty bad at camp to lose out to one of nikulin or zubov at this point.

well, that leaves nukes and zubov battling it out for 0 spots!

dont worry. Injuries will happen. If there is an injury in the bottom six, nikulin should be first call up. If there is an injury in the top six, zubov might get a chance ahead of him, but its more likely that kelly/mcammond/donovan fills the hole and nikulin is called up to replace them in the bottom six. Bottom line, nikulin will get playing time, probably 30-40 games.
Zubov and Nikulin aren't really competing with Bass directly; they are completely different players filling completely different roles. On the surface neither has much of a shot at camp, but a lot can change between now and the beginning of the season.

Old
08-26-2008, 05:04 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by petelevi View Post
Zubov and Nikulin aren't really competing with Bass directly; they are completely different players filling completely different roles. On the surface neither has much of a shot at camp, but a lot can change between now and the beginning of the season.
Well, nikulin is. Zubov might have an edge if he can prove he's a better option than foligno/mcammon/donovan for the top 6.

Bass/Nikulin/Winchester are all bottom six players in ottawa if they make it this year, so they are in direct competition, though their roles if they make the team will be slightly different.

Old
08-26-2008, 08:40 PM
Waterford

Rookies - IMHO

You know, if the kid performs, he stays ... if my grandmother performed she'd stay, speculate all you want ... you gotta perform in that business.

Waterford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 12:23 AM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
I think Nikulin will be willing to wait at least another season ans Zubov maybe 2... Nikulin is 23 and Zubov is 21...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senateurs View Post
Your right, Donovan too.

If future HOF'er Chelios can be scratched, I think we could do the same with McAmmond and Donovan. It seems like there has been some kind of a country club atmosphere going on here for the past year where the coaching staff was reluctant to hurt somebody's feeling. Donovan, McAmmond, Neil, Meszaros even Redden could've been sent to the press box for a game because of their lacklustre play. I know a ton of coaches who wouldn't have hesitated to take that decision.
I like that "country-club" argument... I was one of a few to talk about it last year and IMO i think it was realistic... Not having a "country-club" was also a strenght of the Habs last year as they didn't hesitate to sit some veterans (Dandenault, Ryder, Smolinski,...) to give ice-time for some rookies... It worked well because everyone was fighting for ice-time and they were sometimes coming out of the press box with 2 goals performances...

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 08:24 AM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
I think Nikulin will be willing to wait at least another season ans Zubov maybe 2... Nikulin is 23 and Zubov is 21...

I like that "country-club" argument... I was one of a few to talk about it last year and IMO i think it was realistic... Not having a "country-club" was also a strenght of the Habs last year as they didn't hesitate to sit some veterans (Dandenault, Ryder, Smolinski,...) to give ice-time for some rookies... It worked well because everyone was fighting for ice-time and they were sometimes coming out of the press box with 2 goals performances...
The reason I mention if a player will stay or report to Bingo is because players have more options now than they did in the past and not just the Russian players as we see with Meszaros who has a $4 mil offer from a Russian Club. Players now have options to the NHL and for bubble players who may have to spend a few years in the minors before possibly getting their shot at the big leagues or not, another league with decent money is a decent alternative. Emery is

In fact, for some of these guys it's a greater source of revenue than they would ever make in the NHL and certainly more than in the AHL. I'm of the opinion that this new league will only drive prices up for players and as more players begin to take this option NHL teams will have to increase pay for the lower priced players to keep them too. While the CBA created a two tier salary situation with haves and have nots, European and Russian leagues can lure some of those lower salary guys over with better offers until the NHL increases their salaries as well. It's why I think that Meszaros will get at least $3.5 mil., he has a $4 mil option, so it has been reported, but what options are available to the Sens if he doesn't report? Not much.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 08:34 AM
Senateurs
No rispek!!

Quote:
It sure worked for them and I like the fact Carbo wasn't affraid of sitting someone out when they weren't performing. He really had 25 players fighting for ice time and we saw guys making it really hard for him to scratch them out of the line up.

Paddock was talking real tough in front of the cameras but he didn't act accordingly. We had too many passengers and players taking their spot for granted.

Old
08-27-2008, 08:40 AM
Pancakes Pancakes

considering Donovan couldn't score on a breakaway on a 12 year old kid....he deserves to be benched before training camp even starts.

Pancakes Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote