HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mtl Chi

Old
08-25-2008, 10:15 AM
Passchendaele

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
So was brian Smolinski what's your point?
Smolinski is a grinder at this point.

Lang scored over 20 goals and 50 points last year.

Passchendaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 10:17 AM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passchendaele View Post
Smolinski is a grinder at this point.

Lang scored over 20 goals and 50 points last year.
Good for him. It doesn't change the fact that he'd be our third line centre and would put up even less points.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 11:40 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Why in hell would we want Robert freaking Lang in our line-up?? Why???!!! I fail to see the reason.
Would we rather have nobody? That's about what it comes down to, if we're not going to use up our remaining cap space. But it would be entirely contingent on Chicago actively wanting to dump him for almost nothing, and that may not be what they want to do either.

Lang wouldn't necessarily start with a defined roll in Habdom, but maybe it would help us juggle to get 3 scoring lines or patch during any injury stretches. By no means is that a need or something you give up much for. But to me, it's still better than dead cap space. (Though there may very well be better uses of dead cap space still out there, of course).

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 09:31 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Why in hell would we want Robert freaking Lang in our line-up?? Why???!!! I fail to see the reason.
Let's say we don't get Sundin... We then have Koivu, Plekanec, Chipchura and Lapierre at center, and Lehoux (LeWho?) next in line...

What if we lose Koivu or Plekanec for an extended period due to injury? We tried Higgins at center last year and it was a flop. We don't have Grabovski, we don't have Locke. Would you feel comfortable with Chipchura or Lapierre as your second line center to generate offense? Not me.

Lang is excellent on face-offs (which we need), he's a big body at center (which we need), he's a right hand shot and face-off (which we need) and can play a more offensive role if called upon, a bit like Fedorov is. And although he's a bit overpaid at $4 million, he answers some of our needs and he only has one year left to his contract.

Voila.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 10:54 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Let's say we don't get Sundin... We then have Koivu, Plekanec, Chipchura and Lapierre at center, and Lehoux (LeWho?) next in line...

What if we lose Koivu or Plekanec for an extended period due to injury? We tried Higgins at center last year and it was a flop. We don't have Grabovski, we don't have Locke. Would you feel comfortable with Chipchura or Lapierre as your second line center to generate offense? Not me.

Lang is excellent on face-offs (which we need), he's a big body at center (which we need), he's a right hand shot and face-off (which we need) and can play a more offensive role if called upon, a bit like Fedorov is. And although he's a bit overpaid at $4 million, he answers some of our needs and he only has one year left to his contract.

Voila.
Maxwell, White, Begin, Tanguay, kovalev....

If a big injury happens, then you can just make a move and trade a blue chip to fix the problem, OR you can make a move that ain't patching.

If you acquire Lang you basically tell Chipchura to GTFO on the fourth line and Lapierre goes on the RW or press box. I'd rather see our young players develop at this point.

Honestly, except if Lang comes ridiculously cheap, which he won't since Chicago needs him bad, then I'm not interested. I'd rather go after a guy like Derek Armstrong from L.A. or grab Schneider for PP purpose and to have an experienced top 4.

Old
08-25-2008, 10:59 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:

If a big injury happens, then you can just make a move and trade a blue chip to fix the problem, OR you can make a move that ain't patching.

If you acquire Lang you basically tell Chipchura to GTFO on the fourth line and Lapierre goes on the RW or press box. I'd rather see our young players develop at this point.

Honestly, except if Lang comes ridiculously cheap, which he won't since Chicago needs him bad, then I'm not interested. I'd rather go after a guy like Derek Armstrong from L.A. or grab Schneider for PP purpose and to have an experienced top 4.
That's your opinion and I can respect that. I don't agree though. I'd take Lang over any of the names you've mentioned at center any day of the week. We've tried Kovalev at center and again... not good at all. Tanguay? Then you don't have him where he's best, on the wing. And that's even without looking at the face-offs ability.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 11:20 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
That's your opinion and I can respect that. I don't agree though. I'd take Lang over any of the names you've mentioned at center any day of the week. We've tried Kovalev at center and again... not good at all. Tanguay? Then you don't have him where he's best, on the wing. And that's even without looking at the face-offs ability.
Didn't say I'd take them over Lang, but they are serviceable centres in case of very bad injuries.

Old
08-26-2008, 06:33 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Did you want Sundin either, then?
Quote:
Well, Chicago is over the cap and the window will soon start to close on how they address that. Maybe trading for Lang later in the season "if needed" would make the most sense for us, but that's not his most likely window of cheapest availability. So you take what you can get, when you can get it. (Presuming that Chicago doesn't actually "need him bad".) I agree that I'd rather have Schneider too. Maybe he's harder to get (maybe not, I don't know). I don't think roster space is an issue, anyway. We've been holding a spot open all summer.

Old
08-26-2008, 09:34 AM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Did you want Sundin either, then?
Well, Chicago is over the cap and the window will soon start to close on how they address that. Maybe trading for Lang later in the season "if needed" would make the most sense for us, but that's not his most likely window of cheapest availability. So you take what you can get, when you can get it. (Presuming that Chicago doesn't actually "need him bad".) I agree that I'd rather have Schneider too. Maybe he's harder to get (maybe not, I don't know). I don't think roster space is an issue, anyway. We've been holding a spot open all summer.
We're not giving away assets to acquire Sundin, so yes. Plus, Sundin is still very competitive... it's a no-brainer.

Look at their depth at centre and come back to me. K thanks. If I were Chicago I'd trade Khabi before I trade Lang.. just my 2 cents.

Old
08-26-2008, 09:45 AM
emb24*

gainey always reveals very little but he did say that one of the center position's was chipchura's to lose. i assume if habs want to make a 3rd scoring line (with no sundin in montreal), they might try sergei kostitsyn flanked by latendresse and lapierre moved to the wing..with chicpchura, laraque and begin on line 4

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 09:53 AM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb24 View Post
gainey always reveals very little but he did say that one of the center position's was chipchura's to lose. i assume if habs want to make a 3rd scoring line (with no sundin in montreal), they might try sergei kostitsyn flanked by latendresse and lapierre moved to the wing..with chicpchura, laraque and begin on line 4
This makes no sense whatsoever. You're talking as if Chipchura had no offensive instincts. You'd rather have Skost play at centre and struggle all year than having Chipchura centre the third line?

Dunno where you got your info from, but it's wrong.

Old
08-26-2008, 11:42 AM
Taser19

Lang and Kovalev = awesome chemistry. Kovalev got his best season ever playing with Lang. Also look at the stats of Lang last year and then look at Koivu stats. Cheaper, bigger and yes, still better. But anyway the Hawks won't make any gift with Lang. If Sundin doesn't sign in Mtl (worst: he sign with a eastern team), then you'll need a Lang type of player. Do you think Lapierre/Chipchura can lead you to the cup while centering 3rd and 4th line? They can't even win more than 35% of their draw...Good luck with Muts Habs fans

Taser19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 11:49 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
We're not giving away assets to acquire Sundin, so yes. Plus, Sundin is still very competitive... it's a no-brainer.
I don't think of a 3rd round pick as a particularly valuable asset, fwiw. Too bad we couldn't have just signed somebody without giving up even that, but the ship has sailed under the bridge on that one.
Quote:
Look at their depth at centre and come back to me. K thanks. If I were Chicago I'd trade Khabi before I trade Lang.. just my 2 cents.
It wouldn't shock me if Kontiola outperformed Lang. Despite what Tallon says, I'd have to think he would rather trade Khabibulin too. But there may be zero market there, not even a 3rd round pick, and he will eventually have to be cap compliant. Non-ideal Plan B or not, dumping Lang is still an option they may have to consider.

Old
08-26-2008, 11:51 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taser19 View Post
Lang and Kovalev = awesome chemistry. Kovalev got his best season ever playing with Lang. Also look at the stats of Lang last year and then look at Koivu stats. Cheaper, bigger and yes, still better. But anyway the Hawks won't make any gift with Lang. If Sundin doesn't sign in Mtl (worst: he sign with a eastern team), then you'll need a Lang type of player. Do you think Lapierre/Chipchura can lead you to the cup while centering 3rd and 4th line? They can't even win more than 35% of their draw...Good luck with Muts Habs fans
Well, we won't NEED Lang (or any facsimile) under any circumstances. But he could be a decent contingency plan.

Also, Koivu isn't cheaper or bigger than Lang.

Old
08-26-2008, 12:01 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I don't think of a 3rd round pick as a particularly valuable asset, fwiw. Too bad we couldn't have just signed somebody without giving up even that, but the ship has sailed under the bridge on that one.
It wouldn't shock me if Kontiola outperformed Lang. Despite what Tallon says, I'd have to think he would rather trade Khabibulin too. But there may be zero market there, not even a 3rd round pick, and he will eventually have to be cap compliant. Non-ideal Plan B or not, dumping Lang is still an option they may have to consider.
It wouldn't shock me either but I wouldn't be very comfortable going into the season counting on Kontiola to outperform Lang.

Trading Lang seems like a counter-productive move right now; fans in Chicago expect to compete this year and the return for Lang, if traded, would be futures in some form or another.

The non-ideal Plan B is waiving Khabibulin and either stashing him off the cap in Rockford or letting him go on re-entry waivers for half-price.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 12:20 PM
Maxpac

Quote:

Laraque-Chipchura-Lappierre would be the best 4th line we've had in the last 20 years

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote