HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Phoenix-Toronto

Old
08-24-2008, 12:00 PM
TheKingSlayer
He was in the way!

vCash: 500
How about Toronto does not trade anybody anymore until the McCabe situation is done, because the big rumour is still that Poni is going the other way with him, so let's remove Poni from everything until then ok? great.

TheKingSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 12:28 PM
SuperDave21
Hockey Paradise

Um how about no? Sound good? Great...

SuperDave21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 01:07 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

hmm:

- trade a 21 year old center with top 6 potential, coming off a 35 point rookie season, for:

- a 28 year old 2nd/3rd line winger, coming off a 35 point season
- an average prospect that's probably at least 4 years away
- requisite 2nd round pick

pass

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 05:52 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Value-wise, Kubina and Ponikarovsky for Hanzal favors the Coyotes. It also addresses a need for Phoenix in adding a quality, veteren top-four defenseman. Short-term, it definitely improves our team. So for all of that, I'll give the original poster, who is a Leafs fan, some credit. However, there are some big problems that make this deal an automatic 'No' from a Phoenix stand-point. First of all, our ownership would never okay us adding Kubina's salary. Secondly, Martin Hanzal is currently our best defensive forward, who has offensive potential that should make him a 2nd line center some time in the near future. That is really saying something when we are talking about a 21 year old sophomore. He is an extremely important part of our re-building process and fills a unique role that would be extremely difficult to replace. It's not a bad proposal, and certainly no where near as bad as many in this thread have made it out to be, but it's a very easy "No thanks" from this Coyotes fan.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 08:26 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I wonder if there might be anyway to get Kubina to Phoenix, if perhaps a little salary went back the other way. Say something like Steve Reinprecht, Matt Jones, and a 1st for Kubina, Devereaux, and a 2nd. That would leave Phoenix with 3.5 million dollars in additional salary this season. Probably still too rich for our blood. I'm not sure about the value, anyway, this just kind of popped into my head as I was daydreaming about having another good veteren defenseman on our squad.

Last edited by rt: 08-24-2008 at 08:37 PM.
Old
08-24-2008, 09:50 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I wonder if there might be anyway to get Kubina to Phoenix, if perhaps a little salary went back the other way. Say something like Steve Reinprecht, Matt Jones, and a 1st for Kubina, Devereaux, and a 2nd. That would leave Phoenix with 3.5 million dollars in additional salary this season. Probably still too rich for our blood. I'm not sure about the value, anyway, this just kind of popped into my head as I was daydreaming about having another good veteren defenseman on our squad.
I'd say value wise that is pretty good.

Reino 1st= Kubina 2nd
Jones= Devereaux

Although I would have to pass and see if Jones comes to training camp and shows some of that promise coming out of UND.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 03:51 AM
WJF

vCash: 50
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX FireBirds18 View Post

Reino 1st= Kubina 2nd
Jones= Devereaux

Although I would have to pass and see if Jones comes to training camp and shows some of that promise coming out of UND.
No way that phx parts with a first in a strong draft, going into a season with as many rookies/sophmores as they are, for Pavel Kubina

WJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 11:04 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Jets Fan View Post
No way that phx parts with a first in a strong draft, going into a season with as many rookies/sophmores as they are, for Pavel Kubina
Toronto's 2nd will be in the first handfull of picks in that round. Adding a defensemen of Kubina's caliber would significantly improve our chances of making the playoffs. A mid to late 2nd and an early 2nd have traditionally been enough to move up into the late 1st. Our best prospects are either NHLers, NHL ready, or will be NHL ready in a year or two. I'm not saying the rebuild is over with, but trading down in the draft for a top defenseman with some time left on his deal isn't exactly going to destroy everything we've built. If anything, I would imagine Toronto fans turning down the deal. I could see Phoenix ownership, and possibly management not liking such a deal for money reasons, but fans should be all over it. Kubina is an upgrade on Ballard, Sauer is an upgrade on Boynton, and Jokinen is an upgrade on Reinprecht.

Old
08-25-2008, 04:36 PM
_Del_

Quote:
A mid to late 2nd and an early 2nd have traditionally been enough to move up into the late 1st.
You sound pretty convinced (more convinced than I) that the 1st will be a late fist. I'm thinking a pick in the teens is more likely.
I'd not be against picking up Kubina, but I'm not sure I'm ready to throw out that first for him. I'd like to see the current roster sink or swim as is, until we get an idea how competitive they are on the ice.
I think Kubina's movement window closed already, anyway

_Del_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 05:20 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Del_ View Post
You sound pretty convinced (more convinced than I) that the 1st will be a late fist. I'm thinking a pick in the teens is more likely.
I'd not be against picking up Kubina, but I'm not sure I'm ready to throw out that first for him. I'd like to see the current roster sink or swim as is, until we get an idea how competitive they are on the ice.
I think Kubina's movement window closed already, anyway
"Mid to late", to me, is the teens. Somewhere between 15-20. I believe Kubina's NTC is limited to 10 teams. There's a decent chance Phoenix is on the list of ten "no goes", but it's not a given. Anyway, I'm thinking TO fans won't like that proposal, anyhow. Though, I guess Reinprecht could very easily end up fetching them a 2nd at the deadline, as well, so that ups the value of the package, I suppose.

Last edited by rt: 08-25-2008 at 05:25 PM.
Old
08-26-2008, 01:27 AM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
Leafs don't have a 2nd (for the next 2 years, I believe?), and I hardly see why the Leafs would need to add one in this proposal. Kubina garnering a 1st should be the least we are getting. Reinprecht is negative value to us because we have no space on the roster and would end up just buying him out. Matt Jones also would have no place on our roster, and then we add a role player who has done fairly well in Toronto (Devereux). If Phoenix is looking to add Kubina, they'd probably be looking at 1st + decent prospect (not a blue chip, obviously).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX FireBirds18 View Post

Reino 1st= Kubina 2nd
Jones= Devereaux

As I said above, I disagree with your value comparisons. Phoenix comes out of this trade a clear winner

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 01:30 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffleafsfan91 View Post
martin hanzal

for

Alexei ponikarovsky
pavel kubina