HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Question About Naslund

Old
08-26-2008, 05:22 PM
D713B

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
exactly.

im gonna watch old u tube vids of shanny and hope hes still that guy too. hes not.

having watched alot of vancouver games the past few seasons i can tell you hes a very intelligent player and more importantly, hes good around the crease but he has lost a step. the system he played in with vanc. was very defensive and the change to an uptempo skating style should suit him. yes hes not a kid anymore, but he can still skate and his shot is still very accurate. hes a heady player who will score goals for this team playing along side gomez and drury, no doubt.

and one more thing, he wore the c on his sweater. he along with drury have been captains. dont discount the value of leadership. hes gonna have a huge positive impact this year.
When did anyone say that he was going to do whats in the video? Someone asked a question about Naslund and I posted a video and cited that some was clips of his younger days but its a good summation of what you will see. Learn how to read before you make snide remarks.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 08:11 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post
When did anyone say that he was going to do whats in the video? Someone asked a question about Naslund and I posted a video and cited that some was clips of his younger days but its a good summation of what you will see. Learn how to read before you make snide remarks.
dude. relax. obviously you misunderstood my point. i hope thats what it was, otherwise you need to chill. nothin personal and in no way was i trying to be snide towards you. and my reading is actually quite good.

my comment had absolutely nothing to do with you. i wasnt trying to imply that you felt that naslund was today the same player he was in the video clips. in fact, your point was that he was younger in the clips and i understood your reason for posting the clips.

naslund is clearly the guy to take shannys spot and my comment was directed at those who continue to want shanny on this team even tho hes a shell of his former self.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 08:19 PM
Blazephr

wasn't it Valeri Bure that married that chick?

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 08:21 PM
Luongo2008*

He's a sniper. And has very good wrist shots

Luongo2008* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 09:24 PM
19nazzy

He's a strong wrist-shot shooter. His release isn't as quick as it used to be but he can still get it away. His passing is quite underrated simply due to the fact that he's played with average linemates over the past couple of seasons. He is a much better 2-way player, although his offense has suffered as a result of focussing more on defense. He's still got good speed and shouldn't have a problem playing with Gomez.

19nazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 09:45 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19nazzy View Post
He's a strong wrist-shot shooter. His release isn't as quick as it used to be but he can still get it away. His passing is quite underrated simply due to the fact that he's played with average linemates over the past couple of seasons. He is a much better 2-way player, although his offense has suffered as a result of focussing more on defense. He's still got good speed and shouldn't have a problem playing with Gomez.
agree and i think naslund will get alot of time on the penalty kill.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 09:46 PM
Macke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDubinskyNYR17 View Post
Naslund for selke

Macke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 09:53 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macke View Post
Naslund for selke
id love if that can happen, i dont think he was nominated for that ever. did he win the lady bing a few years ago?

Old
08-26-2008, 09:57 PM
Macke*

Quote:
id love if that can happen, i dont think he was nominated for that ever. did he win the lady bing a few years ago?
He'll win both this year.

Macke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 10:50 PM
Unk

Quote:
I don't want Naslund on the PK. He's 35 and too many minutes might result in him going the way of Shanahan. I think top-6 minutes + powerplay time will be enough. Leave the penalty kill to the 'younger' guys like Drury, Gomez, Callahan, Betts, Fritsche, and whoever else might appear up to the past. Since we have Naslund for 2 years I'd prefer to have him last that long, in the role he's here for (top-6 winger) instead of burning out in the middle of next season because he's got too many minutes.

Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 11:14 PM
D713B

Quote:
I don't see him logging too much time on the PK, we have plenty of guys to fill that role. Maybe every now and then he'll catch 15+ seconds towards the end of the shift in hopes of a break out pass for an odd man rush. Other than that I think they'll save his legs.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 11:44 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unk View Post
I don't want Naslund on the PK. He's 35 and too many minutes might result in him going the way of Shanahan. I think top-6 minutes + powerplay time will be enough. Leave the penalty kill to the 'younger' guys like Drury, Gomez, Callahan, Betts, Fritsche, and whoever else might appear up to the past. Since we have Naslund for 2 years I'd prefer to have him last that long, in the role he's here for (top-6 winger) instead of burning out in the middle of next season because he's got too many minutes.
naslund and shanahan arent the same type of player.....naslunds game is based on speed.....shanahans has never been....shanahan was never a great skater, naslund still is a great skater.....if naslund can help the pk, then he shoiuld be on it

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 11:48 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
He certainly defines the sniper term. People are saying that his shot isn't what it used to be but I beg to differ. Their saying that mostly due to his lack of production in recent seasons, which stems from his line mates.
It's a combination really. His shot isn't near the same as it was a few years ago. I think the hit from Moore really affected his shot, well actually, I'm sure it has. He ended up having surgery on his elbow and hasn't been the same since. That said, the last couple seasons he hasn't really had the best linemates either, both talent wise and fit. He faired best when paired with the Sedins as they are great playmakers, but they produce most of their scoring cycling the puck down low and finding the open man in front, not Naslund's style at all. Personally, I think he'll be a great fit with Gomez as he's at his best when he's scoring off the rush with a great playmaker. I think he'll have a good shot at getting 30 goals this season, but I wouldn't expect anything more than that and it might even be a stretch. He rarely uses his wristshot anymore and has resorted to a half-assed slapshot of late.

Hopefully for you guys the move to NYC will envigorate Naslund because for many nights over the last couple seasons he looked pretty disinterested.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 06:06 PM
albynomonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
Does Naslund still have wheels to make a Gomez/Naslund duo completely terrifying?
No. But he's much faster than Shanahan, and is less likely to just shoot the puck on net after crossing the blue line. He's more creative than that.

By the way, if Tom uses him in the shootout don't expect a goal. His shootouts are Jagr-esque.

albynomonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 06:33 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
I don't see him logging too much time on the PK, we have plenty of guys to fill that role. Maybe every now and then he'll catch 15+ seconds towards the end of the shift in hopes of a break out pass for an odd man rush. Other than that I think they'll save his legs.
well people said the same thing about shanny and we overused him on the PK, well i think naslund will get some time on the pk, and if he gets too much well that is renney's fault.

Old
08-28-2008, 03:13 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
I agree, Chemistry will be key with any type of sucess.
Call me crazy but I think it should be Dawes , Gomez, Naslund then Prucha and Zherdev with Drury...........yes Prucha..........it's 50/50 on this board with support for him but he is young and with ice time will be fine

I also rather have Frtichse, Dubinsky, Sjostrom............Betts with Callahan on the 4th and 2nd PK unit.........so they will have their roles

Then Voros or Orr and even Rissmiller

Man they have alot of depth in Hartford for next yr though...........Korpokoski, Byers, Aminisev, Cherapanov...............they all should make it.........feel bad for Greg Moore cause he should be on this team now

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2008, 05:36 PM
Boom Quack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalRanger View Post
^right on the money about the shot , its a laser , i'd say the only person better would be shanny ,he's also good down low i can see.
speaking of money...how much was he paid in Vancouver??

Boom Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2008, 05:56 PM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by rindoneg64 View Post
probably alot more than what we're paying him ,you gotta bribe your players to live in the air ya know

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2008, 12:01 AM
19nazzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rindoneg64 View Post
His last contract was 3 years, 18 million.

19nazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2008, 07:49 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19nazzy View Post
His last contract was 3 years, 18 million.
6million a year than ,so i was right.

like i said , bribe to live in the air.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2008, 12:30 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
He certainly defines the sniper term. People are saying that his shot isn't what it used to be but I beg to differ. Their saying that mostly due to his lack of production in recent seasons, which stems from his line mates.
Markus Naslund is a large part of the reason for his lack of production in recent seasons.... Don't push the responsibility off onto his line mates.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2008, 01:12 PM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Naslund has lost some of the zip on his shot. But, he can still skate and I think his drop in assists the last couple years had a lot to do with Vigneault's system. Aside from any adjustment and chemistry issues, the guy still has the tools to score 25-30 goals and 40-45 assists. In terms of injuries, he has been remarkably durable, so I'm not really too concerned about that.

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 03:16 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Crap watching that movie almost brings tears to my eyes (that coldplay song didn't help). Forget sniper, the guy was one of the best players in the league, period - from 2001-2004. Numbers and awards back it up.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 05:36 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
He's a sniper. No..not a playmaker.
correction

he was a sniper

his 40+ goals happened 6 years ago - on a decent Canucks team
Jagr put up 54 goals on a crap Rangers team 3 years ago.

My forecast: 25 goals for Naslund in the East could be considered a decent return....

Last edited by Sad London Ranger: 09-02-2008 at 05:41 AM.
Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 09:12 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
I think the hit from Moore really affected his shot, well actually, I'm sure it has. He ended up having surgery on his elbow and hasn't been the same since.
I don't think I ever knew that Moore's hit did that kind of damage. Must have been lost in the drama of the incident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
I think he'll have a good shot at getting 30 goals this season, but I wouldn't expect anything more than that and it might even be a stretch..
Luckily, there's some pretty modest offensive expectations here. 20+ goals from anyone not named Jagr is a win for the Rangers as far as I'm concerned and, IF Naslund and Zherdev can get there, you've accounted for the scoring that was lost this summer. The key is going to be for Renney just to recognize that he isn't Jagr and can't be out there for 25-28 minutes nightly or playing in every conceivable situation.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote