HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Will the NYR continue to have success against the Devils this season

Old
08-26-2008, 11:07 AM
chosen

vCash: 500
Presuming that how teams fared against each other one year will have anything to do with the next year is based on nothingness. There is zero relation year to year on statistics like these.

Those longing for "higher quality" threads after the summer don't remember the threads of the regular season from last year and the year before and the year before....

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 11:13 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

in a perfect world, we would run .500 against each other. i would love to sweep the rangers, but when its so even...it just makes for better hockey. the devils, islanders, and rangers play each other so much during the season (though not as much this upcoming one im told) that it really does impact the standings more than anything else.
with all that being said...its too early to tell. the rangers will have a really different look and may struggle to find chemistry the first month or so. the devils? who knows. who makes the team is still up for grabs. their first month could be shaky too.

thank god august is almost over

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 11:31 AM
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD

Send a message via AIM to Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
in a perfect world, we would run .500 against each other. i would love to sweep the rangers, but when its so even...it just makes for better hockey. the devils, islanders, and rangers play each other so much during the season (though not as much this upcoming one im told) that it really does impact the standings more than anything else.
with all that being said...its too early to tell. the rangers will have a really different look and may struggle to find chemistry the first month or so. the devils? who knows. who makes the team is still up for grabs. their first month could be shaky too.

thank god august is almost over
Amen...Can't wait for all of this to be over.

Drop the puck already! Let's play Hockey!!

-Brian

Sm0otHocKeySPeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 11:53 AM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Without reading any comments, and referencing something HockeyBased said... I think the Rangers will score a good amount against the Devils. Brodeur does bad against players he hasn't seen yet. I'm assuming the same logic could be applied to players he doesn't see often (i.e. Naslund, Zherdov, Fritsche). I can easily see Naslund having a good season against him.

Thats not indicative of how I feel the win/loss will go.

As for Henke and Brodeur. I mean, do you really have to ask whether or not these two will play well? They always game up, and honestly a lot of last season's games could have gone to the Devils with one bounce. Not a slight against the Rangers, just showing how frustrating it was to lose when we could have won just the same. In the end, all that matters is the W.

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 02:55 PM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

I don't think this is that ridiculous or derogatory of a topic. Fact is, the Rangers went 7-0-1 against the Devils last season. If the Devils had won 3 of those games in regulation to make the Rangers record against them 4-3-1, the Rangers wouldn't even have made the playoffs. To top that, the Rangers ran through the Devils in the first round of the playoffs easily 4-1.

It's no secret that the Rangers hold the upper hand on the Devils currently, and with the vast changes to the Rangers lineup, it's a totally sensible question to ask whether they will continue to have the upper hand on them.

I'm sure there have been threads on the Devils board in the years of Devils dominance over the Rangers just like this one. I don't see why Devils fans should be offended or how this could be considered trolling.

Now, to answer the question....I don't believe the Rangers will be totally dominant like last year. A whole different lineup = a lot of question marks still to be answered. Although I am confident that the Rangers D-corps is more experienced and well-rounded than the Devils, and I think that will be a key factor in the season series and hopefully another playoff series like last year!!

RangerBlue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 03:29 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanktasticVoyage35 View Post
I don't think this is that ridiculous or derogatory of a topic. Fact is, the Rangers went 7-0-1 against the Devils last season.
There ya go. I'm not talking smack. Its just the record. And as one poster said there was a stretch where the record was heavily in NJD favor. Things change.

You want to say they were all one goal games last season, than discuss it as part of the fine rivalry. Fact remains, Rangers dominated the season series last year, and they dominated the Devils in the playoffs as well.

Discussing the changes to the rosters, coaches philosophy, key players etc between your rivals should be fine.

Perhaps my thread title was too strong, but the topic is legit.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 03:35 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

How do you think the Rangers match up to the Devils in speed?

How do you think the Rangers match up to the Devils in size?

NHLNUMBERS has these two teams on opposite sides of the spectrum as far as average age to the roster.

I understand signing Shanny before the season starts would raise the NYR avg but right now all this considered the Devils are the 3rd OLDEST team in the NHL and the Rangers are the 2nd YOUNGEST team in the NHL.

Do you think this stat bares any weight on the teams overall success?

FYI the Wings are the oldest team in the NHL and the Ducks right behind them. That would seem to favor the NJD but than again the Isles and Thrashers are right up there in age as well.

Old
08-26-2008, 04:30 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
FYI the Wings are the oldest team in the NHL and the Ducks right behind them. That would seem to favor the NJD but than again the Isles and Thrashers are right up there in age as well.
wings old guys: lidstrom, chelios, draper, mccarty, osgood, maltby, samuelsson, etc

when those are your old guys, and you use them right, their ages don't matter nearly as much

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 05:24 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
I do think the Rangers got into the Devils' heads last year for probably the first time in 10 years, so there may be a mental aspect - especially when the Devils' home arena is half Rangers fans.

But as it's been said, it's a new season and both teams look quite different. And even though the Rangers dominated Brodeur last year, you have to think he's out for some revenge. He's still among the best for a reason.

I think the Rangers will take the season series, but it probably won't be as one-sided as it was last season.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 06:12 PM
Black Tank

The Devils weak link in this series is Brodeur. He hasn't played particularly well against the Rangers recently and seems to give away an easy one in almost every game. Let's see if an Avery free NYR team will make it easier for Brodeur to stay focused.

Other than that, it really depends on whether Renney and team can execute on their new style. If so, the Rangers will be difficult to beat. If not, watch out....

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 06:21 PM
TheHotRock

marty b looked pretty ordinary against the rangers last season. i wouldn't expect it it to continue.

i think, on paper, we have a better, deeper team. our defense looks a lot better and we have more forward depth. the loss of brylin will be offset by the signing of holik and it never hurts to add a 30 goal scorer like rolston (though i think the contract sucks).

it really depends....i think if our team performs like i believe we're capable of performing, we should take about 12 points from them this year.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 07:22 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
it really depends....i think if our team performs like i believe we're capable of performing, we should take about 12 points from them this year.
Considering we only play them six times this coming season, that would be a season sweep.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 08:03 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I would be 100% OK with losing 5 games to the Debbies if we can win over half our games against the West.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 01:50 PM
Hypernova

Send a message via AIM to Hypernova
This year, the games will probably go 50-50, i don't think either of our teams will completely dominate the other. Marty's arch enemy is in Dallas now so he shouldn't have a problem this year.

Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 06:24 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsyDevil13 View Post
Marty's arch enemy is in Dallas now so he shouldn't have a problem this year.
Martys arch enemy is, and always has been, in his own head.

He "let" Avery psyche him out. He "let" the Ranger fans invading The Rock psyche him out.

Old
08-27-2008, 06:44 PM
DevFan-RU-

Send a message via AIM to DevFan-RU-
Quote:

He "let" Avery psyche him out. He "let" the Ranger fans invading The Rock psyche him out.
When Avery joined the Rangers, that is when all the problems began for the Devils. The other thing has happened often enough over our franchise history, with slightly worse fans... ugh. Flyers fans.

But in a way, I do agree... I mean, in 2001, his own wife (now his ex) would call him up before each game to tell him about the next dude she was dating (prolly a bit dirtier than that)... not to mention the media exposure that whole event had.

But who wouldn't be bothered by that?

DevFan-RU- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 06:47 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevFan-RU- View Post
When Avery joined the Rangers, that is when all the problems began for the Devils. The other thing has happened often enough over our franchise history, with slightly worse fans... ugh. Flyers fans.

But in a way, I do agree... I mean, in 2001, his own wife (now his ex) would call him up before each game to tell him about the next dude she was dating (prolly a bit dirtier than that)... not to mention the media exposure that whole event had.

But who wouldn't be bothered by that?
He could've just hung up. Not that difficult. I simply don't believe the fact that he sat there and listened to these stories over and over.

Dude has caller ID.

Either that, or he used it to pump him up or something.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 06:53 PM
DevFan-RU-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
He could've just hung up. Not that difficult. I simply don't believe the fact that he sat there and listened to these stories over and over.

Dude has caller ID.

Either that, or he used it to pump him up or something.
Depends... mother of your kids telling you stuff like that. It should be no surprise how harsh women can be if they choose to.

Plus, he mentioned it in his book.

Old
08-27-2008, 07:26 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Scorned ex trumps Avery

Old
08-27-2008, 07:37 PM
DevFan-RU-

Oops, my mistake... it appears the whole Brodeur-wife thing was in 2003, not 2001. Jon was right... prolly used it to pump himself up.

But overall, I still think Avery got into his head.

Old
08-27-2008, 11:36 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevFan-RU- View Post
But overall, I still think Avery got into his head.
Whereas, if Avery were still a Ranger, this would never be admitted. Avery would still be a joke of a player, not worthy of a top-9 spot.

Now that he's far, far away... he was a problem for Marty, of no concern now.

PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 12:06 AM
DevFan-RU-

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post
Whereas, if Avery were still a Ranger, this would never be admitted. Avery would still be a joke of a player, not worthy of a top-9 spot.

You may be right. But there are a lot of things that fans won't admit about their teams unless something changes.

It's happening now on your forum with the whole Jagr deal. Now that he is gone, some have begun to heap blame on him for his poor play during certain points of the season... or that he wanted to run the team the way he wanted. While neglecting that he did do more good for the Rangers, than anyone else has in the last 14 years.

Historical revisionism is at its best when applied to sports fandome. We all do it equally and in a lot more ways than we think.

Old
08-28-2008, 07:03 AM
Devilswede

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post

Avery IS a joke of a person, and as a player. He is a disgrace to the NHL and it's a shame he's allowed to act like he does. In reality he's just a lonely soul who's had a messed up life.

Devilswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 07:28 AM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:

Always has been? What evidence do you have for this? You can make the argument for this past playoff series, and I'd listen. But how did his own head get in his way previously?

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 07:34 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilswede View Post
Avery IS a joke of a person, and as a player. He is a disgrace to the NHL and it's a shame he's allowed to act like he does. In reality he's just a lonely soul who's had a messed up life.
Holy fabricated assumptions, Batman!

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote