HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Joining a house league team this year....

Old
08-26-2008, 01:28 PM
LongIslandHockey36

vCash: 500
Joining a house league team this year....

I've been skating and playing hockey for about 2 years and I've never been in a game situation outside of scrimmages in clinics.. I'm pretty bad at backwards as I don't practice it often and I don't really implement crossovers in my game. I have decent agility and can be fast when necessary although I'm not a puck carrier type.

Does anyone have any tips on how to be a successful contributor to my team mates and not look lost? And what should I expect?

LongIslandHockey36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 02:25 PM
frito

Listen to your coach. Practice the things you mentioned you are weak in and give 100% in every drill in every practice. Also, make sure you talk it up with your linemates both on the ice and on the bench. This helps build chemistry among you and your line can develop plays to put each persons strengths to good use.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 06:42 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandHockey36 View Post
I have decent agility and can be fast when necessary although I'm not a puck carrier type.
Webster's Dictionary defines "Agility" as quick and easy of movement.

Nowever, from your post, it looks like you can only skate forward and maybe stop.
You can't backwards skate and you don't do crossovers. So this means that you don't crossover backwards as well.

If you want to help your team mates, the best thing you can do is be an active participant while you are on the ice. The way you do this is by shooting, scoring, passing, checking, getting back into the action and back checking, set up attacking runs, and playing your position!

Here's some drills for you to do at public session to help you with your skating:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=546033 then go to my post.

Plus, here's a link for a s*** load of coaching tips that I wrote for on an international hockey forum. http://forums.internationalhockey.ne...splay.php?f=67

I write coaching tips for this forum all the time, but they are all across the board and are not located in one stop this link above. Read these and maybe it will help.

Good Luck!
Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 07:29 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post
Listen to your coach. Practice the things you mentioned you are weak in and give 100% in every drill in every practice.
This is the key. I coach house hockey, and most years we have at least one kid who is new to the game. Show up ready to listen to what your coaches are teaching you, ready to work hard to improve your weaknesses, and just plain ready to work hard and have fun, and you'll be fine. The kids who are like this are a joy to coach, and are generally regular contributors by the end of the season, and often quite popular with their teammates.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 01:54 AM
Lyons71

Really focus on learning to turn and stop both ways. So many kids are reluctant to do so. Don't be afraid of skating so hard you'll fall. Also, street hockey. Best way to practice skating with a puck (or ball) for free.

Lyons71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 01:19 PM
ToursLepantoVienna

Resign yourself to playing wing this season. Seriously - it's the least demanding skating position.

Improve your skating. A player who is exceptional at every other facet of the game will never be more than mediocre if a poor skater.

Attend every sticktime, public session, rink birthday party, whatever that you possibly can, and work on your skating. I recommend a few private lessons from a good skating coach. The coach can quickly assess what skills you lack, and how to acquire them without developing bad habits. Ask coaches and players for advice on selecting a coach, especially players currently receiving skating lessons.

ToursLepantoVienna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 09:16 PM
XweekendwarriorX

if you can really work on the edges of your skates and skating you will see a great improvement within weeks. its crazy how much speed i see kids lose because they cant turn on an edge or make a crossover. also make sure you can pass and catch passes. theres nothing more frusrating than having a linemate who cant catch a pass or deliver a good one as well. not to mention catching a pass can really help set up chances.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 12:51 AM
Recast

Send a message via MSN to Recast
Reminds me of a teammate I had in a winter league. He could barely skate forwards, couldn't skate backwards, couldn't do crossovers, and for the most part couldn't accept hard passes but, he managed to get a lot more goals than I thought he was going to. He worked hard, got involved in the play [rather than just floating around looking like a lost child], and in the offensive zone he went to the net.

Sometimes, I think knowing what to do helps more than knowing how to do it.

Recast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 01:50 AM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recast View Post
Reminds me of a teammate I had in a winter league. He could barely skate forwards, couldn't skate backwards, couldn't do crossovers, and for the most part couldn't accept hard passes but, he managed to get a lot more goals than I thought he was going to. He worked hard, got involved in the play [rather than just floating around looking like a lost child], and in the offensive zone he went to the net.

Sometimes, I think knowing what to do helps more than knowing how to do it.
Generally we'll start by teaching the kids who are just learning to chip the puck out off the boards/glass when they're playing wing in the defensive zone, and to go to the net in the offensive zone. Assuming they're willing to work hard and follow instructions, this means that they'll be contributing offensively by bashing in rebounds and whatnot, and they're helping out by clearing the zone when they're on the defensive side, right off the bat. It's a lot easier to learn a new sport and play catch up in a lot of the skills if you're contributing and helping the team.

It also tends to shut up the smartass kid, who will almost always pop up at some point and try to put them down, pretty quickly when he makes some snide comment about their skating and gets a quick rebuttal from the new-to-the-game kid pointing out who it was who scored a goal the last game.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 10:47 AM
frito

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
This is the key. I coach house hockey, and most years we have at least one kid who is new to the game. Show up ready to listen to what your coaches are teaching you, ready to work hard to improve your weaknesses, and just plain ready to work hard and have fun, and you'll be fine. The kids who are like this are a joy to coach, and are generally regular contributors by the end of the season, and often quite popular with their teammates.
I coach house hockey too (well this year one house and one travel team) and have had the same experiences. I've found the new kid tends to be the hardest worker since (s)he's playing catch up and really wants to contribute to the team. I find so much joy in watching that kid in the final game of the season and year end playoffs to see how far (s)he's come over the course of the season and too see the big smile on the kid's face knowing how far (s)he's come and just really enjoying the game.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 10:33 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Hustle and straight up out work people. Don't over reach your bounds, but be ready and willing to do whatever you can when it's presented to you. Be attentive and positive, but be quietly cocky a tiny bit, it helps rid nervousness or reluctance to do something your weak at. Look to improve your weakness, not avoid them.

Oh, and go play a few games of open hockey. Not really exactly a game situation, but it will help you get accustomed to it much quicker. You rather a trial by fire in open then at a scrimmage or try out.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 04:15 PM
KillerCanuk

keep your stick on the ice, your feet moving and go to the net fearlessly!!! and work your ass off!! you will be fine, Power skating in the summer too! develop strong legs too! keep an open mind and always look to improve your weeknesses..it will come,, and watch alot of hockey understand the game

KillerCanuk is offline   Reply With Quote