HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tampa Bay picks up option on Khabibulin

Closed Thread

Old
06-17-2004, 03:55 PM
degroat*

vCash: 500
Tampa Bay picks up option on Khabibulin

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...83&hubName=nhl

Old
06-17-2004, 04:27 PM
senate

As a Sens fan, all I can say is damn it.

Old
06-17-2004, 04:33 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Did anyone honestly expect this to not happen?

Old
06-17-2004, 04:34 PM
Jon Burke

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
Nope.

Old
06-17-2004, 04:36 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Judging from this thread, I'd have to say yes.

It was inevitable, but I'm glad to see it sooner rather than later.

06-17-2004, 05:06 PM
KH1

He's many peoples choice for Conn Smythe. Of course they picked up his option.

Old
06-17-2004, 05:09 PM
rwilson99

Quote:
There are a few people that expect the Lightning to move to Quebec too.

Old
06-17-2004, 05:15 PM
Bruin_Ron

Quote:
Seriously... Tampa would have had to pay him $4.5 million next season if he WASN'T on the team... it was a no-brainer!

Old
06-17-2004, 06:41 PM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin_Ron
Seriously... Tampa would have had to pay him $4.5 million next season if he WASN'T on the team... it was a no-brainer!
It would have been 2 million, not 4.5. But yes it was a no brainer. Khabi was a huge part of the cup run and was as much as the teams MVP as Richards was.

Old
06-17-2004, 07:12 PM
Peter Griffin

If the Lightning didn't win the Cup, or even make it to the finals, I think it may have been a possibility that they wouldn't have qualified him. But after winning the cup, how could anyone not have known that he'd be back?

Old
06-17-2004, 08:04 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
If the Lightning didn't win the Cup, or even make it to the finals, I think it may have been a possibility that they wouldn't have qualified him.
Disagree. As stated above, even if they didn't pick up the option, they would have had to pay out $2 million, in addition to losing him to another team for nothing. There was no chance they wouldn't pick up the option, if they weren't planning on doing so, they would have traded him.

Old
06-17-2004, 10:10 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
If the Lightning didn't win the Cup, or even make it to the finals, I think it may have been a possibility that they wouldn't have qualified him. But after winning the cup, how could anyone not have known that he'd be back?
Disagree. As stated above, even if they didn't pick up the option, they would have had to pay out $2 million, in addition to losing him to another team for nothing. There was no chance they wouldn't pick up the option, if they weren't planning on doing so, they would have traded him.
Khabi didn't have a great regular season, certainly not $6.5m worth.
2004-05 might be lockout (would you trade 1 year contract in a 1 year lockout?)
He would be a UFA in 2005.
He would be making $6.5m

Not a great base to think about trading him. I'd have been surprised if they could have because a lot teams would have just waited for him to become a UFA. Khabi as a UFA for less money and no picks seems to win hands down. Grahame played pretty well, Tampa might have just worn the $2m loss and moved on.

Without his great playoffs he might not have a fetched a thing and been passed over by Tampa.

Old
06-18-2004, 07:37 AM
Sotnos

Maybe this will clear a few things up for some people:

St. Pete Times story 6/18/04

Quote:
Did he, at any point last season, consider trading goalie Nikolai Khabibulin?

"Never," Feaster said...."My philosophy is we have to win right now," Feaster said. "And Nik and John Grahame in goal gave us the best chance to win right now, so why would I have turned around and traded Nik? The popular wisdom out there was that we were worried about the money, but that never entered my mind."... Feaster said he never considered a scenario in which Khabibulin was not a member of the Lightning. That went for last season and next season.
[Emphasis added]

Maybe some of the gossip mongers like Strachan will learn, as Bolts fans have, that when Feaster says "it's not going to happen", that means it's not going to happen.
---
Regarding not picking up the option, let's look at this logically here...to not pick up the option would cost the team $2 million, so theoretically, if you wanted to trade Nik, you could pick up the option with the thought of eating $2 million of it in a trade. You're telling me no one in the NHL would take a flyer on Khabibulin for $4.5 for one year??? Don't think so.

Old
06-18-2004, 04:56 PM
Hockeyfan02

If they dont pick up Khabi's option, they would pay him 2 million dollars to go to whichever team he likes. Lets say for example he goes to the Rangers. Lightning finish 1st again and the Rangers squeak in as the 8th seed. In the series Khabi is the MVP in an upset win over the Lightning. So bascially in that scenario the Lightning would have paid 2 million to Khabi for beating them in the playoffs and costing them extra revenue in advancing to later rounds. Khabi only gets a million dollar raise next year and for what he did in the playoffs he earned it. Regular season means jack.

Old
06-19-2004, 12:49 PM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos
Judging from this thread, I'd have to say yes.

It was inevitable, but I'm glad to see it sooner rather than later.
If you are talking about me, your assumptions are wrong. Asking a question isn't an opinion. Tampa Bay finances are not good even with a Stanley Cup, and they have their salary mass will just increase a lot before next season. After next season however, I don't think Khabibulin will sign back for 6,5 millions with TB....

Richard will ear more than 4 millions, St-Louis probably more than 5,5, and that doesn't count LeCavalier and other players.... That's all I have to say.

Old
06-19-2004, 02:36 PM
Donnie D

With the exception of a few teams, no ones finances are in good shape. That's why the league is willing to lock out the players.

Unlike other teams that have maximized their revenues, Tampa actually has some significant room to improve its financial situation. For example, the county has the ability to transfer the forum's ownership and save the team $3 million a year. Their corporate sponsorship has been low, with the cup they have the ability to increase those revenues significantly as corporations desire to be associated with a winner. Season Ticket price have been raised, in my section 20%. Individual ticket prices were raised an average of 53% next year and the number of season ticket holders has increased.

Davidson has shown the willingness to lose $10 million a year on the Bolts to get the revenues associated with the stadium. While he isn't going to be willing to accept these losses forever, the team showed a modest profit this year. Given the other potential increased revenues that are out there, they have the ability to increase payroll to keep the core; Vinny, Brad, Marty and Habby together. Davidson has been all about trying to build a quality franchise long term. Letting Habby go means that all of his losses to date would be in vain.

Last edited by Donnie D: 06-19-2004 at 02:46 PM.
Closed Thread