HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Who will be best NHLer out of college FAs

Closed Thread

Old
06-16-2004, 03:25 PM
Kritty

vCash: 500
Who will be best NHLer out of college FAs

I hear all this talk about how is the top college free agent this year, and everyone seems to say Danis or Lessard. What I don't hear alot of is who will end up being the top NHL player out of this year's group. Does anyone have any opinions on who will end up being the best of the bunch to come out this year? At this point, my money is on Thomas Pock, Yann Danis or Dustin Penner. There are a few others that I like the look of but they will need alot of seasoning (Scott Ford is one). Any other thoughts?

Old
06-16-2004, 04:24 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

no disrespect for Dustin Penner, but from the scouting reports I've read, fellow Anaheim signee Curtis Glencross seems to have more offensive talent then Penner.
Hopefully, they both pan out and add a lot to the Mighty Ducks

Old
06-16-2004, 04:28 PM
calgARI 04

Send a message via AIM to calgARI 04
Dana Lattery is currently trying out for the Flames. The guy put up outstanding numbers in four years at Western Michigan. He is under six feet but is very tough and pretty highly skilled. Playing at Western Michigan, he was pretty well under the radar, however. I have seen him play quite a few times and I think he is just as good, if not better than Lessard. I think he has the potential to be another Reinprecht.
Also, not sure where Ryan Vesce is, but watched him for four years at Cornell and he could end up surprising some people. He is very small but excels in almost every area. He battled injuries and had surgery at the end of this season so I am not sure where he is as far as rehab. He'll end up at an NHL camp though.

Old
06-16-2004, 04:54 PM
PMP5030

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgARI 04
Dana Lattery is currently trying out for the Flames. The guy put up outstanding numbers in four years at Western Michigan. He is under six feet but is very tough and pretty highly skilled. Playing at Western Michigan, he was pretty well under the radar, however. I have seen him play quite a few times and I think he is just as good, if not better than Lessard. I think he has the potential to be another Reinprecht.
Lattery is a good player, but don't kid yourself. He has nowhere near the offensive skills of Lessard or Reinprecht (I saw all three play in the NCAA). He is tough as nails and hits like a linebacker (and is built like one too). Plus he's not bad defensively. I always thought he could make some team as a 3rd-4th line checker, and he skilled enough to pop in a goal now and then.

I could see him making the Flames, he's perfect for Sutter's system, a punishing physical style. But he'll never be an offensive star.

Old
06-16-2004, 05:29 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbesy
no disrespect for Dustin Penner, but from the scouting reports I've read, fellow Anaheim signee Curtis Glencross seems to have more offensive talent then Penner.

I would have to agree, I've seen Glencross a few times at AAU last year mostly (since Habs had Matt Shasby on the team) and Glencross was solid. Penner I got to see a few times as well, but didn't really notice him. I was kind of surprised he signed.

As for college FA's, Danis, Lessard both are very skilled, tough to say who will have a better career, but I look forward to seeing what both can do next year.

Old
06-16-2004, 09:53 PM
Kritty

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbesy
I completely forget about Glencross. He's a guy I think will surprise alot of people. He is definitely going to have my eye for the next few seasons.

I never knew Lattery was trying out for Calgary. That should be interesting to see. I've always thought he was a pretty solid player.

There are actually quite a few college players that have yet to sign that I figured would have by now. Tony Voce, Ryan Vesce, Luke Fulgham and a few others. Not sure what's up with them.

Old
06-16-2004, 10:20 PM
KH1

He wasn't an FA, but a familiar face from last year's NCAA season that should be a good NHLer is Ryan Caldwell. He got some serious press as the captain of championship winning Denver, and is currently trying to work something out with the Islanders. He's got the look of a top 4 defenseman, though.

Old
06-17-2004, 04:56 PM
redmen

Best FA

What about Doyle, the goalie from Maine?

Old
06-17-2004, 05:10 PM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgARI 04
Also, not sure where Ryan Vesce is, but watched him for four years at Cornell and he could end up surprising some people. He is very small but excels in almost every area. He battled injuries and had surgery at the end of this season so I am not sure where he is as far as rehab. He'll end up at an NHL camp though.
Vesce is a poor man's St. Louis. He will get a shot at the aHL level at least.

Old
06-17-2004, 08:54 PM
RE-HABS

Pock has looked pretty decent so far in his Rangers debut at the end of the season, time will only tell if he can develop in that losing and rebuilding atomsphere.

Danis and Lessard both look to be solid NHLers too.

Old
06-17-2004, 09:59 PM
Schlep Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritty
I completely forget about Glencross. He's a guy I think will surprise alot of people. He is definitely going to have my eye for the next few seasons.

I never knew Lattery was trying out for Calgary. That should be interesting to see. I've always thought he was a pretty solid player.

There are actually quite a few college players that have yet to sign that I figured would have by now. Tony Voce, Ryan Vesce, Luke Fulgham and a few others. Not sure what's up with them.
Add Lukas Dora to that list. He will be in LA's prospect camp in July looking to earn a contract.

Old
06-17-2004, 11:25 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

My money right now is on Yann Danis. Apparently he hasn't missed a beat since making the jump to the pros. I realize that it's still early, but I do think he's going to make believers out of lots of people who may have doubts about him, right Montreal?

Old
06-18-2004, 01:08 AM
Usahockeyfan12

Luke Fulghum will be entering his senior year at Denver......

Old
06-18-2004, 11:20 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
My money right now is on Yann Danis. Apparently he hasn't missed a beat since making the jump to the pros. I realize that it's still early, but I do think he's going to make believers out of lots of people who may have doubts about him, right Montreal?

I'm a believer. In his 3 appearances in Hamilton, only one of those games did in allow any goals. Hopefully next year he's the starter in Hamilton, I look forward to catching a few games for sure.

Old
06-18-2004, 01:36 PM
ttnorm

Having seen him for 4 years there is alot to like about Danis. But I expect next year will be an adjustment year for him as it is for any goalie going from NCAA to the AHL. Always hard to project this position but I look for good things in 2 years and out for Yann.

Old
06-18-2004, 05:19 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttnorm
Having seen him for 4 years there is alot to like about Danis. But I expect next year will be an adjustment year for him as it is for any goalie going from NCAA to the AHL. Always hard to project this position but I look for good things in 2 years and out for Yann.

Having only seen him once, could you give some opinions on his game. I've already gotten Oilers Chick's opinion, but anything you could add would be great. pm me if you want. thanks.

Old
06-19-2004, 12:50 AM
ttnorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Having only seen him once, could you give some opinions on his game. I've already gotten Oilers Chick's opinion, but anything you could add would be great. pm me if you want. thanks.
He was a good goalie as a freshman and sophomore at Brown but I thought he was beatable by the quick wrister as his lateral movement wasn't the best. For the NCAA level he basically corrected that by through experience and with better economy and purpose in his movement. At the AHL level that may still be a part he can improve on. Slap shots at any level are a waste of time against him because when he squares up, you have nothing to shoot at. Controls his rebounds well. Not prone to play the puck too much. Most ECAC teams book on him was to shoot high in his last two seasons but I don't think he looked especially weak there, although a sniper like Higgins did lite him up for a HT with quick pinpoint wristers up high 2 seasons back. BTW, Brown came back to knock Yale out of the post season that year where Danis got the better of Higgins.

I agree he is a great pickup by the Habs. Seems like a super kid as well. I'm cheering for him.

Old
06-19-2004, 03:40 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttnorm
He was a good goalie as a freshman and sophomore at Brown but I thought he was beatable by the quick wrister as his lateral movement wasn't the best. For the NCAA level he basically corrected that by through experience and with better economy and purpose in his movement. At the AHL level that may still be a part he can improve on. Slap shots at any level are a waste of time against him because when he squares up, you have nothing to shoot at. Controls his rebounds well. Not prone to play the puck too much. Most ECAC teams book on him was to shoot high in his last two seasons but I don't think he looked especially weak there, although a sniper like Higgins did lite him up for a HT with quick pinpoint wristers up high 2 seasons back. BTW, Brown came back to knock Yale out of the post season that year where Danis got the better of Higgins.

I agree he is a great pickup by the Habs. Seems like a super kid as well. I'm cheering for him.

Thanks. I look forward to seeing him play next year.

Closed Thread