Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Eastern Europe
Eastern Europe Ukraine, Belarus, Latvia, Lithuania, Kazakhstan

OT planning to go to RIGA

Old
08-15-2008, 08:14 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
OT planning to go to RIGA

So. I might take a cruise to Riga later this fall.. Any recommendations on what not to miss? And where to buy a Dinamo Jersey perhaps?

Thanks

\Matti

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2008, 03:48 AM
Bumjoo Wang*

vCash: 500
depends on what you're interested to see, there's a lot of tourist attractions in Riga, and there's also a lot of nice places in old Riga to go drinking.
What kind of stuff are you looking for?

Bumjoo Wang* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2008, 03:51 AM
mattihp

I don't drink alcohol, so that stuff would be of no interest ^^

Some historical stuff, some shopping and then a couple of good restaurants perhaps?

Old
08-20-2008, 04:47 AM
Bumjoo Wang*

Can't really suggest anything special, just Old Riga, which is full of nice historical architecture. There's the museum of Soviet occupation near the river Daugava, if you're in to that kind of stuff.
I hate shopping and don't really go out to restaurants much, but there's a shopping center in pretty much the heart of Old Riga, and there's a few nice restaurants around as well, just try and figure out the prices beforehand, because there are some restaurants that are inappropriately expensive as well..

Old
08-20-2008, 04:57 AM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by the finnish flash View Post
Can't really suggest anything special, just Old Riga, which is full of nice historical architecture. There's the museum of Soviet occupation near the river Daugava, if you're in to that kind of stuff.
I hate shopping and don't really go out to restaurants much, but there's a shopping center in pretty much the heart of Old Riga, and there's a few nice restaurants around as well, just try and figure out the prices beforehand, because there are some restaurants that are inappropriately expensive as well..
I am most into cheap food that is "eatable" and not McDonald's xD

Old
08-26-2008, 05:11 PM
v-man

Food wise I'd recommend Kiploku Krogs (Garlic Bar), every menu item, including the desserts, has garlic in it. Not as over powering as one might think either. While not as cheap as McDonalds it's quite affordable. I've been told Da-Da in the Gelerija Centrs mall in Old Riga is quite a good deal. It's a Mongolian style grill, where who select all your ingredients, from noodles/rice, etc to meats and sauces and then give it to a chef to cook for you while you watch. XL Pelmeni (several locations) is a great place to eat cheap. They specialize in dumplings filled with different meats a cheeses.

As for things to do, other than the above mentioned sites, I'd say take in some local sports (basketball, hockey, football). They tickets are generally very affordable and the games are quite competitive. I'm sure Dynamo Riga jerseys will be available at Arena Riga, as well as some of the better souvenir shops once they start their season.

If you want something more adventurous, there's a place that offers shooting experiences in an old soviet bunker with ak47s, etc.

If you have a day or so, head out east to Sigulda (about 45mins outside of Riga) to try the bobsleigh track (they offer rides on wheeled sleighs in the summer), bungee jumping from a cable car or the Aerodium vertical wind tunnel, where you can experience sky diving without the jumping out of a plane.

v-man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 01:55 AM
mattihp

I love garlic! Should be quite a contrast to Tallinn where the food has no spices at all then

With the cruise the ship stays at the docks for 5-6 hours or so.

Old
08-28-2008, 04:28 AM
Bumjoo Wang*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
I love garlic! Should be quite a contrast to Tallinn where the food has no spices at all then
I was in Tallinn a few weeks ago, went to a place (I think it was called Absolut) that had a huge selection of cheap pancakes, got a garlic and cheese one, it was really filling and the taste of garlic stayed with me (despite a lot of Guiness that I used to wash it down) for the whole day.

Old
09-08-2008, 12:48 PM
oilsands
NHL Supertar

Not much to see-do in Riga from my experience... enjoyed Tallinn and Vilnius much more. But it is really cheap in Riga.

Resteraunts: on Baronas street, near the old town you have Lidos (cheap, Latvian Buffet and great quality) and a really good Japanese resteraunt nearby.

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 01:04 PM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskyoil View Post
Not much to see-do in Riga from my experience... enjoyed Tallinn and Vilnius much more. But it is really cheap in Riga.

Resteraunts: on Baronas street, near the old town you have Lidos (cheap, Latvian Buffet and great quality) and a really good Japanese resteraunt nearby.
Buffet sounds nice ^^

I go to Tallinn at least twice a year already

Old
09-09-2008, 12:46 AM
v-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskyoil View Post

Hmm, I found just the opposite. Tallinn seemed very touristy, but with absolutely nothing to do other than eat and drink. Even then the food was ridiculously expensive, and the bar we ended our evening at ended up charging us $40 per drink (which we only found out once we got back and saw our credit card bills). Riga at least has vitality and life all over the place. I do agree the Lido buffets are excellent though (not as good as they used to be, but better than anything I've found in Canada or the States)

v-man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 05:55 AM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Riga is head n shoulders above Tallin in my mind. Lido is awesome, they have one downtown and one right outside of Riga (was like 2-4 lat cab drive) Taxi drivers there are very crafty, be aware, they have different speeds to the meter for locals and for tourists, luckily i grew up in Russia noticed that and told the guy to pull the f...ck over and he let me name my own price right away, so be aware of that.
IMHO, you should take a cab straight to the Old Riga and do the walking, it will be good anough for 3-4 hours of your time.

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 06:54 AM
Bumjoo Wang*

Yeah, the cab drivers in Riga are notorious for their fares when carrying tourists/drunks. The city are trying to deal with this and from the beginning of this year all the cabs have their fares displayed on the outside of the cab.

Personally, out of the three Baltic capitals I like Tallinn the best. Possibly because I myself am from Riga, and Tallinn just seemed interesting and new. For some reason I never really liked Vilnius, the city is so big and all the entertainment is very spread out, Tallinn and Riga have relatively small old towns and all the pubs and restaurants are near each other, while in Vilnius one could spend half an hour wandering around looking for a nice place to have a pint.

Old
09-09-2008, 07:01 AM
Buddhaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
Riga is head n shoulders above Tallin in my mind. Lido is awesome, they have one downtown and one right outside of Riga (was like 2-4 lat cab drive) Taxi drivers there are very crafty, be aware, they have different speeds to the meter for locals and for tourists, luckily i grew up in Russia noticed that and told the guy to pull the f...ck over and he let me name my own price right away, so be aware of that.
IMHO, you should take a cab straight to the Old Riga and do the walking, it will be good anough for 3-4 hours of your time.
Even though I might be prejudiced (being a native of Riga for my whole life), I totally agree. First of all, Riga is simply two/three times bigger than either Tallinn or Vilnius (Riga has something like 750,000, while Tallinn and Vilnius are in the range of 150,000 - 350,000). It is also the regional/tourism/commerce/etc. centre of the Baltics attracting the most of these factors. There is tons to do in Riga and I have high doubts that it is cheaper than Vilnius or Tallinn.

Buddhaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 09:36 PM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

A must do is buy a HK Riga 2000 and a Dinamo Riga jersey for me. lol

FrancoRussianAlaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 05:11 PM
MrSports*

Never been there but, only one suggestion.
If you're on a vacation or on a trip. Always bring extra money
for it won't have a problem for you on expenses.

MrSports* is offline   Reply With Quote