HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Chipchura Question

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-27-2008, 06:35 AM
  #1
HockeyF3ind
Registered User
 
HockeyF3ind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,813
vCash: 500
The Chipchura Question

I watched most of the season last year but I missed a bunch of games around the holidays. Consequently, I never saw O'byrne's first fight or any poor performance from Chips to necessitate him being called back to the minors.

My question is what went wrong? Did he suck it up in the games I missed? Cuz all I remembered of him at the start of the season was being an intense defensive center, good at protecting the puck in the enemy zone. What Did I miss?

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 07:06 AM
  #2
zurg999
Registered User
 
zurg999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Brampton ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyF3ind View Post
I watched most of the season last year but I missed a bunch of games around the holidays. Consequently, I never saw O'byrne's first fight or any poor performance from Chips to necessitate him being called back to the minors.

My question is what went wrong? Did he suck it up in the games I missed? Cuz all I remembered of him at the start of the season was being an intense defensive center, good at protecting the puck in the enemy zone. What Did I miss?
My take: Got lost on a few plays, below average face-off percentage, and a decision that playing a key role in the AHL would benefit his development. Of course, with the team Hamilton had last season, that could now be second guessed.

I suspect that when Price and Chipchura were sent down it was questionable that either would be called back up again. The almost freakishly low number of injuries among the forwards ensured that Chipchura didn't get another call.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 07:38 AM
  #3
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Canuckland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
He also would flip the puck at the net and try to make it back rather than attempt to make a play. His poor acceleration was magnified. His overall speed seems to have improved. Various pleyers over the years( e.g. C Lemiex, J Sakic) have claimed that they were to able to improve on that aspect of skating so maybe he will as well.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 08:01 AM
  #4
Kikizaz
Registered User
 
Kikizaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Victoria BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999 View Post
My take: Got lost on a few plays, below average face-off percentage, and a decision that playing a key role in the AHL would benefit his development. Of course, with the team Hamilton had last season, that could now be second guessed.

I suspect that when Price and Chipchura were sent down it was questionable that either would be called back up again. The almost freakishly low number of injuries among the forwards ensured that Chipchura didn't get another call.
My take, Chipchura got sent down so Price wouldn't have to be the only guy being sent down.

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 08:05 AM
  #5
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,223
vCash: 500
Awards:
According to Herb Zurkowsky in the THN yearbook he lost a key faceoff late in the game that led to a goal and was sent down the next day. It doesn't mention which game and I have no recollection of it myself, so yeah...

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 08:07 AM
  #6
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,709
vCash: 50
I thought Chip was fantastic in his first few games with the Habs.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 08:08 AM
  #7
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,743
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I never really knew, I guess the coaching staff saw something we didn't. He looked solid, scored some goals, was a force on the boards. I just think that he wasn't able to maintain his level of play out of training camp and wanted him to work on his consistency, potentially?

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 08:29 AM
  #8
CH4
Registered User
 
CH4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicoutimi
Posts: 1,724
vCash: 500
Where is he anyway

why don't he get a call up for the end of the season, he is better then Stewart...

Chip seems lost

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 08:33 AM
  #9
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
Chip looked good when he was up, he played a good strong two-way game. I think he got lost in a numbers game because of the lack of icetime and limited injuries to the team.

More of a go to Hamilton and get the icetime and work on the faceoffs, other than that there were no glaring weakness in his game.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 08:36 AM
  #10
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,063
vCash: 500
where is he?

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 08:36 AM
  #11
kevanos
 
kevanos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mtl
Country: Canada
Posts: 156
vCash: 500
I liked him alot early on but he did seem a little out of place out there before they cut him. Wwhen he was sent down everybody expected to see him come up again before the end of the season. It's too bad he never got that chance.

kevanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 08:46 AM
  #12
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 9,285
vCash: 500
It's not like there wasn't an alternative, either. At the time Lapierre was in Hamilton, and when you have a player struggling like that with a perfectly suitable replacement available, you make the change.

__________________
This content is hosted here with the objections of the poster.
coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 08:52 AM
  #13
Ross MacLochness
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,774
vCash: 500
When we were struggling in November and early December (Remember we were 14-11-5 when we called up Sergei December 13th) Begin-Chipchura-Kostopoulos was probably our most consistent line on the team. So basically when Chipchura started struggling, the team was taking off, and there wasn't much need to make changes in February and March.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 09:28 AM
  #14
Arctic_Hab_Fan
Registered User
 
Arctic_Hab_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
He also would flip the puck at the net and try to make it back rather than attempt to make a play. His poor acceleration was magnified. His overall speed seems to have improved. Various pleyers over the years( e.g. C Lemiex, J Sakic) have claimed that they were to able to improve on that aspect of skating so maybe he will as well.
That's odd, I never noticed that...

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 09:34 AM
  #15
Arctic_Hab_Fan
Registered User
 
Arctic_Hab_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 862
vCash: 500
The Biggest noise made by Carbo was the fact ALL his centremen sucked at winning draws at one point in the season, key defensive zone losses etc etc. Chips looked to be sent down to AHL because of this.

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 09:37 AM
  #16
7th Player
Registered User
 
7th Player's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,953
vCash: 500
CHIPCHURA

7th Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 09:41 AM
  #17
HockeyF3ind
Registered User
 
HockeyF3ind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,813
vCash: 500
I hope he plays this year more now that we don't have the Grabo debacle to deal with.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 09:43 AM
  #18
Little Nilan
Registered User
 
Little Nilan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Praha
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 8,209
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
He was lost on the ice and slow on the play.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 09:46 AM
  #19
hogtownhabsfan
Registered User
 
hogtownhabsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,689
vCash: 500
I remember hearing that word was he was abnormally poor on faceoffs, and that the organization felt a future shutdown centerman would be better off going down to the minors to work on his faceoffs. Every other aspect of his game was everything I expected and more.

hogtownhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 09:55 AM
  #20
Megaforce
Registered User
 
Megaforce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: St. Raymond NDG/Mtl
Country: Azerbaijan
Posts: 1,363
vCash: 500
Chris Farley: Umm...remember when Gainey ..like..he told Price and Chipchura to ....um...rent an apartment in Montreal cuz they were here to stay and then he sent them back to Hamilton?

Paul McCartney: Um, yeah I remember that.

Chris Farley: Um.. yeah... that was awesome!

Megaforce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 10:04 AM
  #21
24Cups
Registered User
 
24Cups's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Hab_Fan View Post
The Biggest noise made by Carbo was the fact ALL his centremen sucked at winning draws at one point in the season, key defensive zone losses etc etc. Chips looked to be sent down to AHL because of this.
From all indications Chipchura seems like a coachable kid. I'd hope that he worked like a beast on face-offs during his time in Hamilton. That's one area that a defensive center need to list as a strength on the resume.

Can anyone who saw a few Hamilton games last season comment on whether he appeared to be getting better on face-offs over the course of the year? I realize that it is not something that the average or even good fan looks for during a game or over a course of games, but our fans are more detail oriented and thorough .

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 10:43 AM
  #22
Jiggernaut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Stittsville, ON
Posts: 356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
I remember hearing that word was he was abnormally poor on faceoffs, and that the organization felt a future shutdown centerman would be better off going down to the minors to work on his faceoffs. Every other aspect of his game was everything I expected and more.
That's what I heard. He's a shutdown centre, and he was getting killed in faceoffs when he was being sent out against the top lines.

The faceoff % of 43 won't indicate who he was winning and losing against, but if you remember, towards the end of his stint he wasn't winning many against the top lines, and was only winning against the bottom lines. not what you need from your shutdown centre.

They sent him down to work on it.

Jiggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 12:22 PM
  #23
Erika
Registered User
 
Erika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ville Lasalle
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,923
vCash: 500
He sucked at face-offs and was lost im 50% of his games, easy decision to send him down...

There's no way that this guy starts as the Habs 3rd line center !! I mean, this is a contender cup team we are talking about !!


4th line center okay, but 3rd ? No way !!



Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 12:32 PM
  #24
Arctic_Hab_Fan
Registered User
 
Arctic_Hab_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
He sucked at face-offs and was lost im 50% of his games, easy decision to send him down...

There's no way that this guy starts as the Habs 3rd line center !! I mean, this is a contender cup team we are talking about !!


4th line center okay, but 3rd ? No way !!


This team in my view is a few pieces short of being a Legit Cup Contender, let's not kid ourselves here.

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 01:49 PM
  #25
CH4
Registered User
 
CH4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicoutimi
Posts: 1,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
He sucked at face-offs and was lost im 50% of his games, easy decision to send him down...

There's no way that this guy starts as the Habs 3rd line center !! I mean, this is a contender cup team we are talking about !!


4th line center okay, but 3rd ? No way !!


I am surprised that you admit he has a shot at becoming a NHLer!

you are becoming softer with time Erika

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.