HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Washington-Toronto

Old
08-27-2008, 12:28 AM
KesseltoLupul

vCash: 500
Washington-Toronto

Chris Clark
Tom Poti

for

Bryan McCabe
Darryl Boyce

Antropov-Sundin-Kulemin
Tlusty-Steen-Clark
Blake-Stajan-Hagman
Mayers-Moore-Bell

Kaberle-Stralman
Kubina-Finger
Poti-Colaiacovo

Toskala
Joseph

Gives Washington

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Kozlov
Laich-Nylander-Semin
Fehr-Fedorov-Fleishmann
Brashear-???-Laing

Green-Morrisonn
McCabe-Alzner
Jurcina-Erskines

KesseltoLupul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 12:41 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Washington's over the cap, and I doubt adding McCabe's salary will help remedy that problem.

And even if it did, it's not like they're in dire need of a power play QB (and with McCabe, even that's a stretch lately) now that Green has arrived.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 12:42 AM
Madic

1. Washington is currently over the cap, and this doesn't shed any salary...in fact, it nearly cancels out. Toronto is trying to rebuild by shedding salary as well, and certainly wouldn't want two players making over 2.5 mil apiece.

2. Why does Toronto want another defenceman?

3. Why does Toronto want another mediocre, aging 3rd liner?

I'm sure Washington fans would have their own vehement refusal reasons, but I'll leave that to them.

Madic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 01:35 AM
IanJebus

not to mention they are both having major injury problems.
clark played something like 33 games last year
poti could be done forever due to concussions.
as much as id like to get rid of McCabe's contract, taking two injured players isnt the way to do it

IanJebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 01:45 AM
nautikal

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanJebus View Post
not to mention they are both having major injury problems.
clark played something like 33 games last year
poti could be done forever due to concussions.
as much as id like to get rid of McCabe's contract, taking two injured players isnt the way to do it
That's Pothier.

nautikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 05:43 AM
Canuckle
West Coast Express

Noob.

Let me help you out. Put Steckel as Wsh fourth line center in your disfigured lineup.

Canuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 07:23 AM
ugotmybeef*

Why do they keep doing this.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 07:45 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

While Washington could ideally use more veteran help on defense, this proposal doesn't do that, because Tom Poti is going the other way. They would essentially be treading water.

In terms of the salary cap, this does send $2.633M (Clark) and $3.5M (Poti) the other way, for a total of $6.133M, in return for McCabe's $5.75M, so it's comparable... until you remember that you are trading two roster spots for one, and someone will be occupying that second spot for Washington (approximately $500K at a bare minimum).

Yet the salaries are comparable. Salary cap implications are not the issue. The problem is that the only thing this proposal does is help Toronto get rid of Bryan McCabe. It does nothing for Washington's needs. Whatever his past and whatever his reputation in some markets, Tom Poti has been a very fine defensive defenseman for Washington. The Capitals are not going to want to give him up. There is no reason to think that they have any interest whatsoever in dealing their captain either.

While the Capitals could use another veteran defenseman in their lineup, it serves no purposes to simply swap veteran defensemen... and I'd rather have Poti's steady play in his own end than McCabe's offensive talents and more erratic defensive play.

The sort of addition that would be intriguing from a Capitals standpoint would be an extra veteran defenseman, perhaps a $2M to $2.5M veteran in exchange for a Viktor Kozlov, for example. Barring that, I think the team is probably done.

The bottom line is that the Caps are already pushing maximum density with their payroll. Realistically, they cannot afford another defenseman making in excess of $5M/yr after the contract to Green.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 07:46 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffleafsfan91 View Post
Chris Clark
Tom Poti

for

Bryan McCabe
Darryl Boyce
Somtimes I wonder if you are even a leafs fan ...Tom Poti, are you <self censored> kidding me ...I wouldnt pluck him off waivers, forget trade for him.

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 07:56 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte View Post
Somtimes I wonder if you are even a leafs fan ...Tom Poti, are you <self censored> kidding me ...I wouldnt pluck him off waivers, forget trade for him.
You didn't watch him last year, did you?

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 08:40 AM
cantwell7

vCash: 490
It doesnt make any sense .. haha

Leafs are rebuilding but they trade for 2 veterns to go along with the 3 veterns the picked up this summer ..

Kid needs help

cantwell7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 08:59 AM
duncanmac12

give washington a center like antropov or a stajan and it a deal

duncanmac12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 09:13 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte View Post
You haven't seen much of him have you?

He's been the top defensive d-man on playoff teams two years in a row, which is better than the leafs can claim.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 09:13 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanmac12 View Post
give washington a center like antropov or a stajan and it a deal
So they can play 4th line?
pass.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 10:53 AM
eklunds source
HFBoards Sponsor

Yep, just keep on banking on Sundin signing.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 11:02 AM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
So they can play 4th line?
pass.
You wouldn't take Antropov? Even if they did put him on the 4th line, it adds alot of depth. Having Antropov on line 3 or 4 woud be pretty good.

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 11:05 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
You wouldn't take Antropov? Even if they did put him on the 4th line, it adds alot of depth. Having Antropov on line 3 or 4 woud be pretty good.
It's just that the Caps wouldn't/shouldn't give up assets to acquire someone they don't need. The Caps are already crowded at forward position, why give up assets (not to mention salary and cap space) for a player that they wouldn't be able to use correctly?

The Caps are fine for depth, at least up front.

Old
08-27-2008, 11:08 AM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
It's just that the Caps wouldn't/shouldn't give up assets to acquire someone they don't need. The Caps are already crowded at forward position, why give up assets (not to mention salary and cap space) for a player that they wouldn't be able to use correctly?

The Caps are fine for depth, at least up front.
What about adding someone like White? Not a bad defencemen and he's only making 850 K and then a RFA either next year or the year after. Not sure what the trade may look like but Toronto has enough D and Caps have enough forwards.

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 11:20 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
What about adding someone like White? Not a bad defencemen and he's only making 850 K and then a RFA either next year or the year after. Not sure what the trade may look like but Toronto has enough D and Caps have enough forwards.
If the Caps are adding D it needs to be of the veteran stay at home type; White is probably a lateral move at best for what the Caps would be giving up.

The truth is that the Caps' roster is probably set for now. There will be guys fighting for a few spots, but we've already got enough guys to fight for those spots and be ok. Unless we can make a move that clears up cap space and provides a tangible upgrade at a key position (most likely the D) I doubt any big moves get made. Little things may have to be done to manage the cap situation, but otherwise the team is probably set.

Old
08-27-2008, 11:22 AM
mckeefan*

Who are the caps willing to give up in order to get under the ceiling? who's overpaid?

mckeefan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 11:22 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 2 - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Washington's over the cap, and I doubt adding McCabe's salary will help remedy that problem.

And even if it did, it's not like they're in dire need of a power play QB (and with McCabe, even that's a stretch lately) now that Green has arrived.
McCabe has never been the PP QB, that's Kaberle.....McCabe is a trigger man, which I don't think the Caps need.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 11:47 AM
Christ

I am dissipointed in you JeffLeafsfan91, I was sure that you were going to try to pile a bunch of our players in a big for Ovechkin

Christ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 12:01 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckeefan View Post
Who are the caps willing to give up in order to get under the ceiling? who's overpaid?
They don't need to give up anything. They just need to put Brian Pothier on LTIR, juggle the roster, and they're under the cap. Not by much, granted, but they're under the cap.

They appear artificially over the cap for the moment because LTIR isn't technically triggered yet.

Washington doesn't need to make any moves other than roster decisions and LTIR. Now, they may make a move or two to free up room for a deadline transaction. Yet they don't have to make a trade to get under the cap. It's optional.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 12:04 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckeefan View Post
Possible candidates to be moved (or so I would think):

Kozlov - assuming Clark is healthy, and Fehr and Fleischmann show they can both handle scoring roles this year - this is tough because Kozlov is great value right now, but he's useless in the playoffs

Two of Fehr/Fleischmann/Gordon - whatever brings the best return (although I think one of Fehr or Fleischmann would have to be kept), assuming the 2 don't look to have made big enough steps this year and could be moved without too much pain

Brashear - assuming GMGM/Boudreau trust Bradley/Clark/Steckel/Erskine/Laich etc. to handle the team's fighting (doubtful IMO)

In my mind those are the only ones, unless the deal involves upgrading a position as well (such as moving Morrisonn for a better Dman or something).

Or, nobody might be moved. If Lepisto makes the team instead of Alzner, the Caps are "under" with Pothier's exemption.

Old
08-27-2008, 12:48 PM
FrankM73

If that actually came from Toronto as a formal request, I think that GMGM would politely decline since Chris Clark and Tom Poti are too valuable to the team (Captain and top Vet D) for what's coming in return (an overpriced Offensive D-man)... and then he'd shake his head off the phone...

FrankM73 is offline   Reply With Quote